The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roland Garros - Day 11

+21
mthierry
Liam
barrystar
Josiah Maiestas
Chydremion
ALPanorak
kemet
Jahu
Sport Junkie
Tom_____
spuranik
bogbrush
sirfredperry
Danny_1982
slashermcguirk
Mad for Chelsea
lydian
hawkeye
Haddie-nuff
CaledonianCraig
laverfan
25 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Roland Garros - Day 11 Empty Roland Garros - Day 11

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:53 am

Here we are. Getting ever near to the end. Today should be treat. Will have to go somewhere to eclipse yesterday's play.

Rafael Nadal v Nicolas Almgaro

Andy Murray v David Ferrer

Maria Sharapova v Kaia Kanepi

Yaroslava Shvedova v Petra Kvitova

Where's your money on?

Nadal in 3
Murray in 4
Sharapova in 3
Kvitova in 2

Back to top Go down

Roland Garros - Day 11 Empty Re: Roland Garros - Day 11

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:57 am

LK yesterday was almost tempted to trade in his Babolat Aero Pro for a Wilson Pro-Staff. I have to say the Pro-Staff hits one mighty FH.

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:58 am

Nico may steal a set.

Murray in five.

Sharapova in two.

Kvitova in three.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:08 am

If Nico is to steal a set it would have to be the first. Can't see him taking one if he loses the first set. Would be nice to see a 5 setter.

Backing the un-seeded to take a set LF? A Goffin inspired set? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:14 am

Depends a lot on what Andy Murray turns up on court today in my opinion. If he is too passive then my money would be on Ferrer but if he gets into a rich vein of form like we saw against Gasquet, firing winners from all over the court in a locked in positive mindset then Murray wins.

I can only see a straight sets win for Nadal in that other match. Almagro just lacks the weapons to put a dent in Nadal's armour - a bit like trying to blow up a tank with a pop gun.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:30 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:If Nico is to steal a set it would have to be the first. Can't see him taking one if he loses the first set. Would be nice to see a 5 setter.

Agreed LK. Nadal is a tough cookie to crack though. Nico played two TB sets in RG2010, and the third was a 6-4, but close. Nadal may start a bit slowly.

CC... Murray-Ferrer (if Murray's back issues are under control) can be a cracker.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:40 am

Nico is playing well and if it takes Rafa a while to settle (as sometimes does in big matches) Nico COULD run away with the first set ... after that..... Whistle

Ferrer to beat Murray may take five sets but I put my money on the little man who wont quit.. if Murray has a bad back he will find it

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:43 am

laverfan wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:If Nico is to steal a set it would have to be the first. Can't see him taking one if he loses the first set. Would be nice to see a 5 setter.

Agreed LK. Nadal is a tough cookie to crack though. Nico played two TB sets in RG2010, and the third was a 6-4, but close. Nadal may start a bit slowly.

CC... Murray-Ferrer (if Murray's back issues are under control) can be a cracker.

I will give Nico his due, he is looking good this year compared to past years. My concern is whether he can keep the UE's down. Even in the 3rd set he nearly dropped it under very little pressure.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:55 am

laverfan wrote:

Ha ha! Murray's back issues are always very much under control...

As is everything else. Have just read this about a particular point in the Murray Gasquet match

And how about those words he exchanged with Gasquet, after Murray
chided the Frenchman for requesting that the chair umpire check the mark
on a shot that had been called against him? Gasquet was unhappy about
that, especially when Murray also dismissively circled the mark with
his racquet. Why did he do that?

"Sometimes, when the crowd's obviously against you, there's a few
close line calls back and forward. If you query a line call, you get
booed. But then when he does one, it's sort of cheered. So, yeah, when I
circled the mark and it was clearly out, maybe I used that to give me
that extra push at the end of the second set. If he was unhappy with
that, then, well, that's his problem. He should have just tried to get
on with it."

http://blogs.tennis.com/tennisworld/index.html

Murray is boasting about using gamesmanship! Of course many think that gamemanship is perfectly legitimate but it should be acknowleged for what it is. No more "Murray is nice he deserves to win" or as was said on another thread his non fans should be supportive in their criticism. I will be cheering for David Ferrer this afternoon because I believe he hits the best backhands and forehands and I want that to be reflected in the result. Even though as a Nadal fan I should perhaps be hoping Murray gets through...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:00 am

hawkeye wrote:
laverfan wrote:

Ha ha! Murray's back issues are always very much under control...

As is everything else. Have just read this about a particular point in the Murray Gasquet match

And how about those words he exchanged with Gasquet, after Murray
chided the Frenchman for requesting that the chair umpire check the mark
on a shot that had been called against him? Gasquet was unhappy about
that, especially when Murray also dismissively circled the mark with
his racquet. Why did he do that?

"Sometimes, when the crowd's obviously against you, there's a few
close line calls back and forward. If you query a line call, you get
booed. But then when he does one, it's sort of cheered. So, yeah, when I
circled the mark and it was clearly out, maybe I used that to give me
that extra push at the end of the second set. If he was unhappy with
that, then, well, that's his problem. He should have just tried to get
on with it."

http://blogs.tennis.com/tennisworld/index.html

Murray is boasting about using gamesmanship! Of course many think that gamemanship is perfectly legitimate but it should be acknowleged for what it is. No more "Murray is nice he deserves to win" or as was said on another thread his non fans should be supportive in their criticism. I will be cheering for David Ferrer this afternoon because I believe he hits the best backhands and forehands and I want that to be reflected in the result. Even though as a Nadal fan I should perhaps be hoping Murray gets through...

You really are an ignaramous.

Gasquet the pathetic one blamed a winning point for bottling it. Read the MFC link.

Try getting 'all' the facts before spouting such nonsense.

Can't wait for Murray to hand the pusher's arss to him so he can put out Nadal and shut your trap for while!

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:07 am

Rafa in 3
Ferrer in 4
Shazza in 2
Kvitova in 2

LK, nice sticks those Prostaffs, they even do a 95 inch one now. They're heavier than Babolats so you get more oomph in the shot, and better on the arm too - light racquets are not good for tennis elbow.
So many good racquets on the market though...Prince EX03 100 Tour, Volkl Organix V1, some of the other heavier Babolats, and loads of other too.
What strings do you use in the Babolat...RPM Blast?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:11 am

lydian wrote:Rafa in 3
Ferrer in 4
Shazza in 2
Kvitova in 2

LK, nice sticks those Prostaffs, they even do a 95 inch one now. They're heavier than Babolats so you get more oomph in the shot, and better on the arm too - light racquets are not good for tennis elbow.
So many good racquets on the market though...Prince EX03 100 Tour, Volkl Organix V1, some of the other heavier Babolats, and loads of other too.
What strings do you use in the Babolat...RPM Blast?

I did see a 95 one on ebay which had me tempted.

I agree it felt a lot easier on the arm. You can get heavier Babolat's, but it does tend to hamper the spin you can generate.

I use the RPM Blast, I used the Hurriance strings for ages! Took me a while to be sold on the RPM Blast.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:19 am

legendkillarV2

Why the anger? Murray is in the quarters with a chance of going through to the semi's. Murray has that win at all cost mentality that some see as so important. To some he even made Gasquet look "pathetic".

I don't agree that Gasquet is "pathetic" and I don't agree with the "win at all costs mentality". I think Gasquet concentrated his training on technique and is unprepared for the lengths that others are prepared to go to to get a win. Some might see it as weak but maybe he doesn't agree with the "win at all costs mentality either?

Of course although I don't agree with the "win at all costs mentality" I am in awe of the fight to the death attitude using tennis skills. That's why I enjoy watching Federer and Nadal.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:22 am

Hawky,

You can actually be a good poster when your not trying so hard to be a complete twirp trying to prove things which quite frankily are unfounded.

Gasquet is pathetic. You lose a point because the opponent played the better shot and use that as an excuse to lose is pathetic.

The win at all costs mentality does not come into it when an opponent is folding because of losing a point.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:35 am

Hawkeye also misses the point. She harped on about Murray using the back issue which affected Gasquet. Sorry total nonsense.

Murray was holding his back early in the first set and it certainly didn't affect Gasquet - he stormed through it so that issue didn't affect him. When the match tide turned that is when Gasquet chose to make an issue of it and the same with the crowd. I'd hazard a guess the French weren't booing Jo yesterday when he was flexing his knee intermittently yesterday or when Djokovic started limping or when Del Potro was getting his knee bandaged or.......oh this is getting ridiculous but the point is hawkeye change the record or I will remind you of Nadal's terribly timed'injury' at Wimbledon V Del Potro when he was struggling in the match (losing I believe) and took an MTO.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:50 am

The heavy conditions should help Nadal.

Weather - http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2988507

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:55 am

laverfan wrote:The heavy conditions should help Nadal.

Weather - http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2988507

I am glad someone else has realised this. There was some berk on another thread hell bent on trying to argue otherwise.

BTW I hope this thread does not turn into another idol bashing session OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:56 am

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how using the fact your opponent's basically calling you a cheat as motivation to beat him is "gamesmanship". I've said it before, Murray can be in a slump, but if you do something to rile him like that he becomes much more focused and starts playing better. To me that's what happened the other day, all the more fool Gasquet for waking him up IMO...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:02 am

Sorry legendkillar but had to point out just how hypocritical hawkeye is.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:03 am

MfC.. I had much rather have Murray focussed, without being riled. Wink. His tactics are so much better with a calmer noggin.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:08 am

CC she has these moments of retardedness.

One day we might find a cure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:09 am

laverfan wrote:MfC.. I had much rather have Murray focussed, without being riled. Wink. His tactics are so much better with a calmer noggin.

I find his tactics are much better when he has a panicked noggin Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:19 am

The key is aggression. We all know Andy must look to implement a more aggressive game when he takes to the court and we saw that perfectly against Gasquet. In the first set he didn't show that aggression and then when he got angered by Gasquet not believing he was pointing out the correct mark from the line call something clicked into place. He got angry and that anger brought out the aggressive side in his game and he never looked back. It was kept running by the French crowds boos and that kept him in aggressive mode right through to the finish.

Andy needs to realise this as it really is a big key to his future success in the sport. Playing aggressively he stands a good chance of winning a slam but passively he won't win a slam.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:23 am

But that was my point. When he's riled he plays better (note I said riled, not grouchy). He seems to find that extra bit of motivation.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:25 am

On a side note, anyone think Sharapova's chances of winning increased the moment Li Na was dispatched?

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:28 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:But that was my point. When he's riled he plays better (note I said riled, not grouchy). He seems to find that extra bit of motivation.

Yes but he needs to find a way of bottling that aggression and have it switched on right at the start of a match without the need for something to trigger it off. That is my point. If he can manage to do that consistently his chances of winning a slam in his career will improve immeasurably.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:28 am

I am going to go with:

Rafa in 3 sets (First two sets will be very tight and then smooth 3rd set)
Ferrer in 4 sets (just feel this is the one surface he has adv over Murray)
Sharapova in 2 sets
Kvitova in 3 sets

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:30 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:On a side note, anyone think Sharapova's chances of winning increased the moment Li Na was dispatched?

Not particularly. In her previous match she made a real pig's ear of trying to close her match out and her game was riddled with unforced errors. Wouldn't surprise me if she misses out in RG.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:32 am

I prefer Murray with a calm head too. In terms of the perfect Murray, I'd take AO semi final Murray every match. Calm, focussed, aggressive. He played the perfect match apart from losing focus at the start of the 4th and becoming a touch less aggressive on those crucial BP's at 5-5 in the fifth. That apart, it was the Murray blueprint for the future.

I would love Murray to overcome Ferrer today, but I think it might be a step too far. On this surface, Ferrer is the real world number 4 and I think he'll get through in 4 sets.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:38 am

For me it will not be the end of the world if Andy loses today as it is widely accepted that clay is his weakest surface and Ferrer's strongest. It would be disappointing of course but considering where we were about a week ago with doubts over his back against Niemenen and what it would mean moving into a crucial part of the season then things look positively brighter.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:39 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:On a side note, anyone think Sharapova's chances of winning increased the moment Li Na was dispatched?

Not particularly. In her previous match she made a real pig's ear of trying to close her match out and her game was riddled with unforced errors. Wouldn't surprise me if she misses out in RG.

Look at the draw though.

Next round against Kvitova. Another flat footer on Clay.

For me should Eranni get through Stosur I would favour her, but for me if Stosur makes the final, Sharapova would come out on top me thinks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:46 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:But that was my point. When he's riled he plays better (note I said riled, not grouchy). He seems to find that extra bit of motivation.

Yes but he needs to find a way of bottling that aggression and have it switched on right at the start of a match without the need for something to trigger it off. That is my point. If he can manage to do that consistently his chances of winning a slam in his career will improve immeasurably.

in which case we are in agreement Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:47 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

in which case we are in agreement Very Happy

Of course. Hug
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:48 am

Instead of working out if Almagro can even win a set we should try to predict just how many games he'll get against a rampant Rafa. Six, seven, eight?....Whadda ya think?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:51 am

sirfredperry wrote:Instead of working out if Almagro can even win a set we should try to predict just how many games he'll get against a rampant Rafa. Six, seven, eight?....Whadda ya think?

I'll guess he wins eight games losing 4-6 2-6 2-6.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:53 am

Maggy can win a set. He needs to be serving at least 70%+ to stand a chance. The BH needs to be firing on all cylinders too.

I think he will take 10 games off Nadal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:59 am

Almagro won't beat Nadal, and I highly doubt he'll even take a set off him. Nadal is just too good so far in this tournament. I reckon 6 games at most for Almagro...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:07 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:Maggy can win a set. He needs to be serving at least 70%+ to stand a chance. The BH needs to be firing on all cylinders too.

Ill go with that :thumbsup:

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:11 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:Maggy can win a set. He needs to be serving at least 70%+ to stand a chance. The BH needs to be firing on all cylinders too.

Ill go with that thumbsup

Surely that means then if he wins a set (and only wins ten games). The other three sets are going to be mightily one-sided.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:17 am

Although Rafa is just tremendous on clay - and particularly effective on RG clay - it would be nice if someone outside the top four could at least give him a decent match.
Would a fit del Potty have had a chance against him this year ? Would Berdych? Ferrer - as terrier-like as they come - has a dismal record against him and the other so-called clay court experts just crumple when they meet him.
You can see Rafa winning two or three more RGs - or can Nole stop him?

Last edited by sirfredperry on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:18 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:

Ill go with that thumbsup

Surely that means then if he wins a set (and only wins ten games). The other three sets are going to be mightily one-sided.

CC if Nadal drops 1 set to Maggy, I can see it being a murdering!

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:18 am

Well it was against Monaco wasn´t it ???? and Schwank Dont forget Rafa has only lost 19 games in 4 rounds
4-6 6-2 6-2 6-0

Easy enough to work out Craig ????

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:22 am

I'd think it is far more likely to be straight sets with them being slightly more competitive sets.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:27 am

and I think it's far more likely to be a straight sets thrashing. Seriously, Almagro doesn't have anything to really hurt Nadal on clay, and I see nothing in the form of either to suggest that Nadal will remotely struggle today. As I said, 6 games at most for Almagro thumbsup

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:28 am

mmmm It depends how quickly Rafa settles.. he is always jittery in the first 2 - 3 games of any match. But if he gets into his stride as quickly as he did against Monaco (and dont let anyone try telling me that Monaco was not playing some great tennis ... the man who beat Rafa´s potential banana skin).. Anything can happen - His present form is scary (as Monaco said since he beat Djokovic in their last two encounters his confidence is sky high) But hey today is another day and its a GS and things can change.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:35 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:and I think it's far more likely to be a straight sets thrashing. Seriously, Almagro doesn't have anything to really hurt Nadal on clay, and I see nothing in the form of either to suggest that Nadal will remotely struggle today. As I said, 6 games at most for Almagro thumbsup

The BH up the line. It is the best SHBH on clay up the line.

Honestly if he serves well and hits the FH, can't see why not. Maggy himself hasn't played poorly this tournament and hasn't dropped a set.

I think he deserves a tad more respect.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:40 am

His record against Nadal aint half bad even though he has never won

2010 Roland Garros
France Clay Q Nadal, Rafael
7-6(2), 7-6(3), 6-4 Stats
2010 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Madrid
Spain Clay S Nadal, Rafael
4-6, 6-2, 6-2 Stats
2009 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Paris
France Hard R32 Nadal, Rafael
3-6, 7-6(2), 7-5 Stats
2009 US Open
NY, U.S.A. Hard R32 Nadal, Rafael
7-5, 6-4, 6-4 Stats
2008 Roland Garros
France Clay Q Nadal, Rafael
6-1, 6-1, 6-1 Stats
2006 Barcelona
Spain Clay S Nadal, Rafael
7-6(2), 6-3 Stats
2004 Palermo
Italy Clay R32 Nadal, Rafael
6-1, 7-5

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:41 am

I have a lot of respect for Almagro. Actually scratch that, I don't really. I find his habit of playing every clay court under the sun mildly annoying as he has some decent weapons and with a bit of hard work could have been a decent HC player, but he doesn't seem to want to be bothered.

Anyway, I have a lot of respect for Almagro as a clay-courter (he's easily top 8 on clay), but his game is a poor match-up to Nadal's I'm afraid. You say BH down the line and you're right, but the shot which hurts Nadal is the angled one cross-court when he's creeping over to his BH corner to hit forehands. Almagro doesn't have this. Similarly, he can't flatten his forehand down the line, another shot which could hurt Nadal. Finally, his game is based on rallying waiting for the opening. Nadal does this too, but much better than him.

Yes he's playing well, but he was a few years back too, when he got spanked 1,1 & 1.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:41 am

True Rafa is in the form of his life at the moment
But Nico is having a good tournament.

So my predictions will be shot to blazes thats for sure.. I only play guessing games !!!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:45 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:Hawky,

You can actually be a good poster when your not trying so hard to be a complete twirp trying to prove things which quite frankily are unfounded.

Gasquet is pathetic. You lose a point because the opponent played the better shot and use that as an excuse to lose is pathetic.

The win at all costs mentality does not come into it when an opponent is folding because of losing a point.
To be fair to Gasquet, the text I saw didn't use any excuse but rather simply admitted that Murray hitting the lines on key points dispirited him. I don't see that as pathetic, just honest.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next