The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs New Zealand, 2nd test at Headingly

+27
Dorothy_Mantooth
teassoc
Carrotdude
ShankyCricket
kingraf
CaledonianCraig
DouglasJardinesbox
hodge
Take it to the house
dyrewolfe
mystiroakey
alfie
guildfordbat
Hoggy_Bear
Good Golly I'm Olly
trebellbobaggins
JDizzle
GSC
dummy_half
KP_fan
liverbnz
Duty281
Shelsey93
msp83
NickisBHAFC
Mad for Chelsea
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
31 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

England vs New Zealand, 2nd test at Headingly - Page 3 Empty England vs New Zealand, 2nd test at Headingly

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 22 May 2013, 11:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

Thread for the build up & match Smile

New from the NZ camp is that BJ Watling's knee has ruled him out, meaning he'll join Bruce Martin on the sidelones. Brendon McCullum will keep wicket, while Martin Guptill will return to the side and bat #6.

Daniel Vettori trained well yesterday, so is expected to play in place of Martin

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/8706188/Watling-ruled-out-Vettori-likely-for-second-test
Likely NZ XI:
Fulton, Rutherford, Williamson, Taylor, Brownlee, Guptill, McCullum, Vettori or Bracewell, Southee, Wagner, Boult
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

England vs New Zealand, 2nd test at Headingly - Page 3 Empty Re: England vs New Zealand, 2nd test at Headingly

Post by Duty281 Sun 26 May 2013, 3:46 am

Yes Root! Yahoo

What a talent this boy is.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

England vs New Zealand, 2nd test at Headingly - Page 3 Empty Re: England vs New Zealand, 2nd test at Headingly

Post by alfie Sun 26 May 2013, 3:46 am

Or ...a two and a handy edge will do Yahoo

Well batted Joe Root clap clap clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 26 May 2013, 3:46 am

...and there it is...Joe Root's maiden Test century!!! clap

Fantastic knock at a critical time for England. Rarely looked troubled and kept his composure under a fair amount of pressure.

100 off 156 balls with 9 boundaries. Not too shabby at all.

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Sun 26 May 2013, 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Take it to the house Sun 26 May 2013, 3:47 am

Well done Joe Root, such a talent! clap

Take it to the house

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 26 May 2013, 3:48 am

Fantastic from JR.

NZ finding this pitch and these conditions a little more of a challenge but they should bat better too. Pressure can do funny things though.

Runs on the board and mixed weather. Draw?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 26 May 2013, 3:51 am

ROOT!

BAIRSTOW

Yahoo

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 26 May 2013, 3:51 am

This from BBC live text:

"He is the first Yorkshireman to score his maiden Test century at Headingley."

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 26 May 2013, 3:51 am

Great to see him make his first (of many ?) hundreds at his home ground.

Really like the way this young man plays his cricket. There will be tougher tests ahead , like SA , and some quicker bowlers in the Ashes series we aren't mentioning yet Smile : but you fancy we are seeing the early stages of a very fine career.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 26 May 2013, 3:53 am

Nah nah nah,
nah nah nah, nah nah nah,
Joe Root!

I want him to open for the Ashes instead of Compton. Root is a talent and is such a positive player, and they can only be a bonus for England as our current top 3 are a bit...conservative, to say the least.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 26 May 2013, 3:53 am

dyrewolfe wrote:This from BBC live text:

"He is the first Yorkshireman to score his maiden Test century at Headingley."

The way things are going there could be another one very shortly!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 26 May 2013, 3:54 am

Yeah I've not followed Aussie but reading their fans it sounds like they have world class seamers better than anyone again, is that right?

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Sun 26 May 2013, 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 26 May 2013, 3:57 am

Damm curse of the change channels!!

Well done ROOTY!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 26 May 2013, 3:57 am

trebellbobaggins wrote:Fantastic from JR.

NZ finding this pitch and these conditions a little more of a challenge but they should bat better too. Pressure can do funny things though.

Runs on the board and mixed weather. Draw?

Suppose the draw would be favourite , trebs. Pitch looks OK , though when it swings things can happen. But if England press on tonight and in the morning quickly and send NZ in with a big total to chase , that pressure of yours might do the trick.
Still 18 overs tonight so it might be close to 350 at the close which would be a decent days work.

But it won't be Root still in ...Boult and the new ball strike at last !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 26 May 2013, 3:58 am

mystiroakey wrote:Damm curse of the change channels!!

Well done ROOTY!!!

Just what I was about to blame it on as well! That and the new ball. Great platform now for Prior to have a go.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 26 May 2013, 3:58 am

Dammit!

And the new ball does for the gallant Joe Root. Gets out to Boult with a rather poor shot, edging to McCullum, but he's more than played his part in the innings (104 off 167).

With Bairstow now well set, England should still get a good score.

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Sun 26 May 2013, 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Sun 26 May 2013, 4:00 am

Yorkshire holding England together well. Root just gone but he continues his early season form. Bell's form is a worry but Bairstow has shown everyone what he is capable of.

Unlikely for Compton to be dropped for the Ashes given he's not long off back to back Test hundreds. But then how would this forum survive without having someone pencilled for the drop every Test?

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 26 May 2013, 4:02 am

Liver I think your right. When England dominate with bat and ball this place gets kind of dead!!

Cricket fans are a funny lot.

Anyway - BOOOO to compton!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 26 May 2013, 4:02 am

Shame to lose him but that's been the best i this series and very impressive given the situation when he came in.

The damage is done though and the kiwi boys do not have an easy road ahead.. Our lads have something to bowl at already.

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Sun 26 May 2013, 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 26 May 2013, 4:03 am

Trebbs whats with the optimism..

have you had a cheeky bet on NZ?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 26 May 2013, 4:04 am

Haha. Nah just having a rest, building up the energy for the Ashes.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 26 May 2013, 4:05 am

An excellent innings from young Joe Root comes to in end. One can excuse the poor shot, of the first ball with the new ball, as he stayed calm and composed throughout his stay till then. I am sure the first of many test hundreds for him, and hopefully the next one will be a bigger one.
NZ have found an opening at last, another couple of wickets today will keep them in the game. But if Prior and Bairstow manage to stay together for some time, it will be very difficult for NZ to come back into the game.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 26 May 2013, 4:06 am

trebellbobaggins wrote:Yah I've not followed Aussie but reading their fans it sounds like they have world class seamers better than anyone again, is that right?

Indeed the new batch are quite promising - when they aren't injured ! Most of them don't play more than two or three games in a row lately Smile

I fancy they may be generally faster , and arguably more likely to take quick wickets than NZ. Not sure they will play the tight control game as well though : they have tended to go through patches where accuracy disappears and the opposition race away at six an over ...which might suit England better ?

Pattinson is the one I think might give the most trouble , if he adapts well to the conditions. He is rather better than his brother Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 26 May 2013, 4:07 am

So average 367 first innings score here. Hopefully we can survive the new ball and get somewhere up near it.

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Sun 26 May 2013, 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 26 May 2013, 4:07 am

Good stuff mate!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 26 May 2013, 4:09 am

Is that bairstow gone.. Argg unlucky. But still V good innings..

We could do with another 100 tbh- 400 would give us a shot at the win. anything less - the draw is on the cards

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 26 May 2013, 4:10 am

alfie wrote:
trebellbobaggins wrote:Yah I've not followed Aussie but reading their fans it sounds like they have world class seamers better than anyone again, is that right?

Indeed the new batch are quite promising - when they aren't injured ! Most of them don't play more than two or three games in a row lately Smile

I fancy they may be generally faster , and arguably more likely to take quick wickets than NZ. Not sure they will play the tight control game as well though : they have tended to go through patches where accuracy disappears and the opposition race away at six an over ...which might suit England better ?

Pattinson is the one I think might give the most trouble , if he adapts well to the conditions. He is rather better than his brother Smile

Are they all a bit Mitch Johnson then? Dangerous but wayward and you can get at them in their heads?

Could eng in fact haunt them?

Did patinsons brother play for eng once?

So better bowling line up then? Them or eng?

And sadly Bairstow is done. New ball has stuffed us again. Can we get anywhere near average here?

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Sun 26 May 2013, 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 26 May 2013, 4:13 am

No hundred for Bairstow though ...edges behind and NZ have a double break.

Back in the game a bit as only Prior is really reliable out of the remaining players. Could conceivably bowl England out tonight.

Be a good time for Broad to build on that last innings and get back into batting form...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 26 May 2013, 4:13 am

Double dammit!

Boult does for Bairstow in much the same way he did Root, with JB edging to McCullum and his innings ends on 64. England now 279-6.

Lets hope Prior and Broad can take us well past 300...or at least survive the rest of today.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 26 May 2013, 4:16 am

They are getting us out but I am not sure they are back in it,

Los of heavy weather and clouds coming and I think they could get horribly examined by English swing over the next couple of days,

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 26 May 2013, 4:18 am

Broad sort it out.... YOU CAN BAT! remember that for once!

7 wickets all caught!!

Interesting!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 26 May 2013, 4:18 am

Oh dear,,broad hammered.

We aren't getting near that 360 today but hopefully can pass 300.

Runs on the board, kiwis have to play this too and tomorrow morning will be tough.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 26 May 2013, 4:19 am

And that's Broad gone for a duck (Boult bags his 3rd victim) and England now 282-7.

Reckon we'll be lucky to make 320 at this rate, on a pitch with an average 1st innings score of 367 (according to BBC live text).

Game swinging NZ's way again. Credit to them for making the most of the new ball.

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Sun 26 May 2013, 4:20 am; edited 2 times in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 26 May 2013, 4:19 am

Questions , trebs !

Yes. Not all of them , but there will be one or two each game I reckon.
Perhaps.
Yes.

And definitely England if only for the presence of Swann who is way better than any Aussie spinner.

Broad gone !

Not much over 300 now I fear...and I will have to leave it to you fellows to scratch out whatever you can...I need some sleep Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 26 May 2013, 4:22 am

Swann can bat. These two together are a very good late partnership oppoutunity.

Its not that tough out there - just leave alot of stuff and you are fine.. All wickets caught behind!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 26 May 2013, 4:23 am

Have a good sleep Alfie, great to chat to you.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 26 May 2013, 4:23 am

Anyway with seven caught behind the wicket it seems there is movement and carry here...if it is still there tomorrow Anderson & Co might have some fun. At least the game is moving on quickly.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 26 May 2013, 4:29 am

Prior doesn't look in the mood to hang about...he wants to get some runs on the board. England edging towards the 300 mark...which Swann brings up with a couple.

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 26 May 2013, 4:39 am

350 would be good. It is a 4 day game after all.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 26 May 2013, 5:06 am

Good day in the end for England!

Well done swanny and prior at the end!

Thats a good RR for a days cricket

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 26 May 2013, 5:08 am

Good day, all the pressure on NZ now.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 26 May 2013, 5:09 am

Good day for England. Smooth run rate, and runs in the bag for Root and Bairstow. Prior and Swann are well-placed to give the bat some fresh air for the first hour tomorrow, and then the pressure will be right on New Zealand.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 26 May 2013, 5:11 am

Marginally England's day. NZ never allowed them to really get away in tough bowling conditions. Over 400 will be tough
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 26 May 2013, 5:15 am

Swanny found his batting form just in time and he and prior saved England from a full blown batting collapse after doing all the hard work through the day. 337-7 is a pretty decent position. Hard to see NZ winning from here on. If Taylor, McCullum and Rutherford get into the mix in a significant way and build up a massive total, that could yet be a possibility, but with the track offering just that little bit for the bowler throughout the day, it will be very difficult against a James Anderson led bowling attack.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 26 May 2013, 5:20 am

Given the averages here, the likely conditions and the bowling for England I think they have a bit of an edge now for this one,

With only four days to go a draw is most likely.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 26 May 2013, 5:24 am

Well England have done really all they can today. They have taken the loss out the equation.. there is no point batting for 2 whole days anyway- we may only have half a days play after that (it could be a 2.5 - 3 day test)

It was all about getting a half decent RR- that was managed..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 26 May 2013, 5:28 am

Aye, England did a decent job, but with a day gone, you'd be aiming to bat once. Thought NZ had a decent day, just hanging in there
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 26 May 2013, 5:32 am

Yeah they did ok, bowled tidily and took steady wickets but I think the win needed a collapse. If conditions do get heavy overhead then they could be in a real scrap.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 26 May 2013, 5:35 am

Yeah, if England stretch to over 400 tomorrow it'll be game. Few batsman that could go big in their side though.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 26 May 2013, 5:37 am

Indeed.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 26 May 2013, 6:03 am

boult reaffirmed he is a verz good bowler....NZ missed their length in the middle session as they did the presence of a quality spinner...and Martin wouldn't have made a diffrence.

Inpsite of the 2nd session.....NZ pulled it back.....but Eng did what they have done so often in their ascent to the top...pulled the game throuhg their lower order no. 8 nd 9.....Prior and Swann have allmost taken the game out of reach of NZ.

Unless NZ seamers end the menace of lower order within 20 odd runs tommorow and bat big in their first inning.....and even then they will have to contend with Swann in 4th inning when it will turn a bit...based on evidence of a few over today.

that one last hour counterattack from no. 8 and 9 has hurt NZ's entire series prospects very badly today.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next