The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How will O'Gara be remembered?

+47
Mickado
wolfball
ME-109
Thomond
kiakahaaotearoa
Bathman_in_London
XR
Fluxy
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Comfort
jelly
dummy_half
funnyExiledScot
GunsGerms
George Carlin
BlueNote
Knowsit17
fa0019
brennomac
bedfordwelsh
flyhalffactory
pete (buachaill on eirne)
InjuredYetAgain
Breadvan
nganboy
mrsuperclear
majesticimperialman
TJ1
red_stag
BigTrevsbigmac
Hookisms and Hyperbole
maestegmafia
Jhamer25
Ledge the ledgebag
thebluesmancometh
profitius
theslosty
sickofwendy
Sin é
littlejohn
Biltong
SecretFly
rodders
Notch
100%beefy
Scarpia
t1000advancedprototype
51 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How will you remember ROG?

How will O'Gara be remembered?  Vote_lcap52%How will O'Gara be remembered?  Vote_rcap 52% 
[ 34 ]
How will O'Gara be remembered?  Vote_lcap11%How will O'Gara be remembered?  Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 7 ]
How will O'Gara be remembered?  Vote_lcap0%How will O'Gara be remembered?  Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
How will O'Gara be remembered?  Vote_lcap37%How will O'Gara be remembered?  Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 25 ]

Total Votes : 66

How will O'Gara be remembered?  Empty How will O'Gara be remembered?

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun May 19, 2013 1:46 am

I thought he was excellent and very similar to Stephen Jones. I feel sorry for ROG as most people will remember his monumental phukkupp in South Africa more than anything else. A shame, but that's sport.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

How will O'Gara be remembered?  Empty Re: How will O'Gara be remembered?

Post by Scarpia Sun May 19, 2013 3:01 am

Like so many modern fly halves - safe (boring?) but effective. Most teams would love to have a game manager and goal kicker like ROG.

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sun May 19, 2013 3:44 am

i was there when he did it. what galls me is that he had a rep for decision making in tight spots.....monumental phukkupp is an understatement.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun May 19, 2013 3:51 am

For me, the Grand Slam in 2009. He was always a solid, safe player. Dependable without ever raising your heart rate or getting you out of your seat- that kind of player is remembered solely for the medals they win because they don't deliver the great memories in other ways. Had he won nothing with Ireland, it would be the Lions feck-up I'd remember him for but he steered us to our first Grand Slam in 61 years and thats his legacy.

We've missed his composure since 2010 when he went into decline and deservedly lost his test place.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun May 19, 2013 4:13 am

Its funny how very few people suggest that Wilkinson's intercept pass to Joe Roff is a defining moment on his career....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sun May 19, 2013 4:19 am

well it's the timing (and not just of that pass), yes it was a howler in a bad game for jw, but he kind of got his own back down there did he not.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun May 19, 2013 4:33 am

ROG has beaten the Bok's for Ireland, does that not redeem him?

I'm not ROG's biggest fan but to suggest that one mistake, however costly can define a players career is just ridiculous, especially considering how long and illustrious a career ROG has had.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun May 19, 2013 4:45 am

That's the heavily bandaged O'Gara who was probably concussed and still on the field?

This is why I easily throw off the bloody Lion's sanctimonious purist bullshitt that goes on on these threads.

We're all the one until a scapegoat is needed for yet another series loss by the glorious Lions.
I wish there was a yawn emoticon in this place for all the syrupy drivel I hear about ye olde Lions and what an individual player might do to kill the eternal dream that they're always better than they mostly ever prove to be.

All Hail the Lions

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sun May 19, 2013 4:54 am

oh, feeling a bit more forthcoming on this subject are we.....ROG the dodge paying you for PR is he?

The fact is his mistake cost the 09 lions defeat in the 2nd test and hence the tour.....heavily bandaged? concussed? are you serious? frankly pathetic. is this a justification for his error? perhaps mitigation but what you should be applauding him for - and i do - is that he went on the attack.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun May 19, 2013 4:58 am

You left out great service to his country.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Sun May 19, 2013 4:58 am

Agreed Rodders - ROG goes down for me as Ireland's best outhalf in the modern era. Check this out for a reminder of the variety he brought to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur6ze5icKnA

I'm sick of hearing too that O'Gara was a safe player too - he was a key player that helped transform the Irish and Munster backlines with his slick and inventive handling skills, world class cross kicking, drop goals, short chips.

Edit: Written by a Leinster fan.

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun May 19, 2013 5:13 am

100%beefy wrote:oh, feeling a bit more forthcoming on this subject are we.....ROG the dodge paying you for PR is he?

The fact is his mistake cost the 09 lions defeat in the 2nd test and hence the tour.....heavily bandaged? concussed? are you serious? frankly pathetic. is this a justification for his error? perhaps mitigation but what you should be applauding him for - and i do - is that he went on the attack.

And what about the defensive mistake made for Habana's try - that was 7pts down?

When you see what has happened to Clermont again, you know now why they offered 36 year old ROG a position as a player/coach!

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun May 19, 2013 5:17 am

100%beefy wrote:oh, feeling a bit more forthcoming on this subject are we.....ROG the dodge paying you for PR is he?

You looked, didn't you. You scurried around on your Google with search words "Rowntree Wilkinson Lions". Laugh You eejit. That's a rumour thread, ain't it. Rumours are what they are...mostly some truth and acres of rubbish. You worry about the Wilkinson and De Lions (All Bow) rumours ....and I'll do the lying rumour bits Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Sun May 19, 2013 5:19 am

A limited player who made the most of what god gave him.
He was lucky that he didn't have any challengers for a number of years but he was a model professional and a good role model for youngsters.

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sun May 19, 2013 5:37 am

He was named as the greatest player in Heineken Cup history - that's how I'll remember him, a Munster legend. He truly defined Munster and that competition.

A very good international player who to date is Ireland's greatest out-half in the professional era, some of the sentiments about Beckham's retirement this week can be echoed about ROG, a great role model with many treasured memories, but probably too limited a player to truly belong to the pantheon of greats.

Lions? Less said the better. Whistle
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun May 19, 2013 5:40 am

Physically very weak, mentally very strong.

He is not as good as he was in his prime these days. For the past few years he was declining and although never being a great athlete he could get the backline going.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sun May 19, 2013 5:41 am

SecretFly wrote:

You looked, didn't you. You scurried around on your Google with search words "Rowntree Wilkinson Lions". Laugh You eejit. That's a rumour thread, ain't it. Rumours are what they are...mostly some truth and acres of rubbish. You worry about the Wilkinson and De Lions (All Bow) rumours ....and I'll do the lying rumour bits Wink

no, but i googled secretfly on images and got one of a small insignificant insect hiding behind a fetid steaming turd vomit

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun May 19, 2013 5:41 am

theslosty wrote:He was named as the greatest player in Heineken Cup history - that's how I'll remember him, a Munster legend. He truly defined Munster and that competition.

A very good international player who to date is Ireland's greatest out-half in the professional era, some of the sentiments about Beckham's retirement this week can be echoed about ROG, a great role model with many treasured memories, but probably too limited a player to truly belong to the pantheon of greats.

Lions? Less said the better. Whistle

Beckham is a good analogy. Very similar- technically brilliant at one aspect of the game, very solid and a massively professional approach. But not up there with the all-time world greats.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun May 19, 2013 5:42 am

A great role model, when living in Clare I heard all sort of rumours about his womanising and partying, Isn't there some photo's too??

ROG is a Munster legend and deservedly so, he didn't really have the game for international rugby, but then Ireland never played to his strengths like Munster did.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sun May 19, 2013 5:46 am

i wonder if duncan macrae is available for comment?

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun May 19, 2013 5:49 am

100%beefy wrote:

no, but i googled secretfly on images and got one of a small insignificant insect hiding behind a fetid steaming turd vomit

Do I bug you, beefy???? Wink
Did I twist your gut there when for that dark instant you throught Wilkinson was turning up in Australia against your best strategic wishes? The horror! It's tough work being an Armchair Lions coach.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun May 19, 2013 5:50 am

SecretFly wrote:
100%beefy wrote:

Do I bug you, beefy???? Wink
Did I twist your gut there when for that dark instant you throught Wilkinson was turning up in Australia against your best strategic wishes? The horror! It's tough work being an Armchair Lions coach.

Tell me about it Laugh

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun May 19, 2013 6:08 am

100%beefy wrote:i wonder if duncan macrae is available for comment?

He says ROG is the best Heino and GS winner he ever battered.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sun May 19, 2013 6:36 am

rodders wrote:
100%beefy wrote:i wonder if duncan macrae is available for comment?

He says ROG is the best Heino and GS winner he ever battered.

rumour has it ronan had been having a cheeky go at macrae's mrs' craic?

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun May 19, 2013 6:40 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:A great role model, when living in Clare I heard all sort of rumours about his womanising and partying, Isn't there some photo's too??

ROG is a Munster legend and deservedly so, he didn't really have the game for international rugby, but then Ireland never played to his strengths like Munster did.

That was all made up - problem with ROG I think was that he wasn't much of a drinker and got smashed very easily. The photo was photoshopped.

Very much a family man - he married a school teacher who he was going out with since they were both about 16 and they have 4 kids now.

16 international tries says he wasn't just a kicking outhalf.

(Carter 29; Wilkinson 7; Neil Jenkins 11; ROG 16; Dominguez 9; Jones 7; Mehrtens 7; Lynagh 17).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sun May 19, 2013 6:42 am

well he should have been a boxer, lad could take a punch or 11 and still get up clap

did he go back on after treatment?

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun May 19, 2013 6:50 am

Sin é wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:A great role model, when living in Clare I heard all sort of rumours about his womanising and partying, Isn't there some photo's too??

That was all made up - problem with ROG I think was that he wasn't much of a drinker and got smashed very easily. The photo was photoshopped.

Very much a family man - he married a school teacher who he was going out with since they were both about 16 and they have 4 kids now.

16 international tries says he wasn't just a kicking outhalf.

(Carter 29; Wilkinson 7; Neil Jenkins 11; ROG 16; Dominguez 9; Jones 7; Mehrtens 7; Lynagh 17).

Not sure about the mad eup thing, plenty of Limebricks use to chat about his local antics, Stringers name came up a few times too Laugh

Have you ever met the missus, she was shocking, not what I expected at all but what a nice girl, and a laugh!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledge the ledgebag Sun May 19, 2013 7:11 am

Rodge's 06-2007 form was immense. It was the one year where he actually seemed physically strong

Ledge the ledgebag

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun May 19, 2013 7:11 am

Is his private life now part of the judgement process on performance?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun May 19, 2013 7:13 am

SecretFly wrote:Is his private life now part of the judgement process on performance?

If it isn't Hensons going to leave one hell of a legacy Laugh

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun May 19, 2013 7:23 am

Okay...that's okay... fire away. I realise many here like looking through bedroom windows as much as they like talking rugby tactics.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun May 19, 2013 7:33 am

SecretFly wrote:Okay...that's okay... fire away. I realise many here like looking through bedroom windows as much as they like talking rugby tactics.

Ok let me ask, do you think Lance Armstrong legacy has been tarnished by his off bike antics? Do you beleive Henson was one of the best players in the world despite his off field attitude, and how much of a fan of Danny Cipriani, and Ashley Cole are you?

I would go as far to say many players boost their careera with professionalism behind the scenes, Wilkinson, and Warburton are 2 that jump out! To not consider attitudes and private life antics is niaive, and Kurtley Beale maybe is paying a price of certain peoples niaivity now don't you think?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun May 19, 2013 7:34 am

A legend.
Not the best defender in the world but he more than made up for it with his kicking and pure knowledge of the game. Britain was so so strong for number 10's a few years ago with Johnny, Stepho, ROG and Chris Pats, it a shame to see all this talent in Britain go and know all we have left for 10's is sexton for the lions. No one else surly not Farrell only other is johnny whi is still world class but is stuck together by glue at the moment.
O'Gara is a legend jsut like the others. Best kicker around the park of my generation.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun May 19, 2013 7:37 am

SecretFly wrote:

So one mistake in life makes him a bad player. Good one picard
If you know a player in the whole world who never made a mistake then tell me their name.
How about remembering all the great achievments he made and not the bad one he missed

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun May 19, 2013 7:41 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Okay...that's okay... fire away. I realise many here like looking through bedroom windows as much as they like talking rugby tactics.

Ok let me ask, do you think Lance Armstrong legacy has been tarnished by his off bike antics? Do you beleive Henson was one of the best players in the world despite his off field attitude, and how much of a fan of Danny Cipriani, and Ashley Cole are you?

I would go as far to say many players boost their careera with professionalism behind the scenes, Wilkinson, and Warburton are 2 that jump out! To not consider attitudes and private life antics is niaive, and Kurtley Beale maybe is paying a price of certain peoples niaivity now don't you think?

Bluesman, I honestly don't give a f**K about sportpeople's private lives. (the f**K is for emphasis not being smart with you)

I don't and you won't find many if any comments from me about any private goings-on in the lives of any of them. Henson is an example. I always found guys dragging his wife into smarmy smutty jokes here about him distasteful. I just don't like it. Same for Tiger...his business if his marriage is rubbish and he's sleeping around.

The public! Taking drugs in private...anything that affects his playing career, then yes...I indulge. But I'm just not into the other stuff. I appreciate others are. It's a big world - room for many. In fact, I find it weird that you ask me that first part of your question. The sport. Not who Danny Cipriani sleeps with.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun May 19, 2013 8:22 am

SecretFly wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:

Bluesman, I honestly don't give a f**K about sportpeople's private lives. (the f**K is for emphasis not being smart with you)

I don't and you won't find many if any comments from me about any private goings-on in the lives of any of them. Henson is an example. I always found guys dragging his wife into smarmy smutty jokes here about him distasteful. I just don't like it. Same for Tiger...his business if his marriage is rubbish and he's sleeping around.

The public! Taking drugs in private...anything that affects his playing career, then yes...I indulge. But I'm just not into the other stuff. I appreciate others are. It's a big world - room for many. In fact, I find it weird that you ask me that first part of your question. The sport. Not who Danny Cipriani sleeps with.

Well thats not about playing ability though, it's how someone will be remembered, and the players perceptions are a large part of how they are remembered don't you think.

For example Hensons off field antics directly effected his game, and he will be remembered as one of the biggest wastes of talent Wales, if not the world saw in the pro era!

Memory is a funny thing, it takes snippets of a players career and personailty as perceived by the person, and roles them into one determining moment, my memory will always be of ROG as doing what he did best with Munster and from how he was when we met, little else.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun May 19, 2013 9:28 am

One of the best pressure players of the last half decade.

How many times did we see him close out a win, drop that vital goal.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sun May 19, 2013 9:51 am

For me he had nice feathery looking hair and he looked relatively handsome in the Eden Park catalogue. He'll probably not worry one bit what a bunch of armchair critics say. I'm pretty sure his achievements stack up with the best of em.

My favourite ROG moment? Giving the English press and big two fingered salute before a pool match against Leicester in 2006. Bless their cotton socks, the Daily Mail cried themselves to sleep. He was nearly as bad as those immigrants. Don't even talk about what his rant did to house prices. And then he backed his chat up by kicking Munster to victory. Victory with a penalty from inside his own half in the final minute. But sure, he can't kick that far according to some. Maybe he willed it over with the force? He must have some Jedi powers- how else did he persuade Deccie to keep picking him?

Radge=legend. He's no David Humphreys mind, but you can't have it all.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sun May 19, 2013 1:28 pm

whatever anyone says, he still fecked the lions in 09. it doesn't take away from his achievements to acknowledge that....this thread asked how he will be remembered....for his decision making under pressure, his superlative kicking, as a heineken legend and GS winner, for taking a beating like a man and foor stuffing up on tour. mistakes are the measure of all of us. mine was not believing the fat german tourist who lent over and whispered in my ear when i was 19 in the patpong, that the stunning thai girl who had her hand up my shorts was packing more than i was. makes me shift on my seat just thinking about it.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun May 19, 2013 6:14 pm

And the Shane Williams hand off.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun May 19, 2013 6:41 pm

A Munster & Irish legend for sure.

All players have different styles & abilities it is how you make use of them that counts & he is, in that regard, up there with the likes of Wilko.
No higher compliment. thumbsup

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun May 19, 2013 7:17 pm

I can see why outside of Ireland he would be remembered for the Lions debacle. That's the name of the game. When big moments come your way how you handle them is what people remember.

By that same token he will always first and foremost be remembered by me as a Munster player and I think has been the greatest player the Heineken Cup has ever seen.

14 years he has been delivering consistently in that competition. That's how I will remember him.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun May 19, 2013 7:18 pm

FYI the poll above only allows you select Irish or Lions for remembering him. No option for remembering him as a Munster legend.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun May 19, 2013 7:20 pm

He must be a true great - those who are not from Munster or Ireland when they got something over on him. How many players have had low-lights of their career put together? And all great players do make mistakes.

For instance, no one suggest that a blot on Malcolm O'Kelly's career was being handed off by Ronan O'Gara (who went onto score a try), yet you have Welsh fans claiming a Shane Williams handoff is some sort of a great feat (if it was a handoff of a David Wallace or Jamie Heaslip maybe, but Ronan O'Gara LOL).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sun May 19, 2013 7:31 pm

A great player. Not the all round game of some but a worthy servant of the irish game

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun May 19, 2013 7:36 pm

Disspite what happen on the Lions tour when O'gar was bandaged up and dropping the ball with the sun directly in his eyes. O'gara will go down as 1 of Ireland best players ever....He will be know as one of Ireland 's Ledgend's.

The best 10 iIreland that taught Sexton all he knows.

I do wish him all the best during his retirement.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun May 19, 2013 7:50 pm

Maj he'll continue doing that next year as Sextons kicking coach at Racing.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun May 19, 2013 8:02 pm

DOD was joking yesterday that now, if Sexton misses International kicks, the Leinster/Ulster fan brigade will blame O'Gara's influence.

I was thinking that could actually now work two ways as if Sexton actually improves his international presence now (with new coaching regime) certain people will be claiming O'Gara improved him behind the scenes.... Whistle

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. O'Gara will undoubtedly continue to ghost through Ireland International chat for the foreseeable future - even in retirement! What a newsworthy guy he is. The Beckham of Irish rugby.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun May 19, 2013 8:03 pm

See now I get the Munster references, he was a Munster legend, great at what he was good at and performed immensely with the Munster gameplan. He was however certainly not the 'greatest player the HC has ever seen' there would be a hundred players wanting to dispute that, including a certain mr O Connell!!!

In reality he was a points machine, and would do a job unrivalled in Ireland for years, and toured twice with the lions....

I will remember him as a Munster legend, long term Irish 10 an twice tourist of the lions, there will be a slight tarnish on his record as the lions mess up to lose the 2nd test, and the rumours of his private life, plus playing on a few seasons too long, but there aren't many players without the odd tarnished reputation.

I wouldn't compare him to Wilkinson as Wilkinson has a far more distinguished career, has won more, and in every team he has played has command legendary respect by all and sundry, not to mention being probably the most professional player since rugby turned pro.

Similarly to ROG, he will be remembered as a legend in IReland and less so outside IReland, like Jones will be remembered as a legend of the Welsh game but less so outside Wales.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Sun May 19, 2013 8:15 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:See now I get the Munster references, he was a Munster legend, great at what he was good at and performed immensely with the Munster gameplan. He was however certainly not the 'greatest player the HC has ever seen' there would be a hundred players wanting to dispute that, including a certain mr O Connell!!!

In reality he was a points machine, and would do a job unrivalled in Ireland for years, and toured twice with the lions....

I will remember him as a Munster legend, long term Irish 10 an twice tourist of the lions, there will be a slight tarnish on his record as the lions mess up to lose the 2nd test, and the rumours of his private life, plus playing on a few seasons too long, but there aren't many players without the odd tarnished reputation.

I wouldn't compare him to Wilkinson as Wilkinson has a far more distinguished career, has won more, and in every team he has played has command legendary respect by all and sundry, not to mention being probably the most professional player since rugby turned pro.

Similarly to ROG, he will be remembered as a legend in IReland and less so outside IReland, like Jones will be remembered as a legend of the Welsh game but less so outside Wales.

Not that it's overly important, but he toured three times with the Lions. He may not have played in many tests on tour, but that is another indicator of his longevity and his consistent performances over the years.

I can see why people outside of Ireland would remember him for the Lions. People are defined more by their mistakes than their triumphs, that's just the way life is.

Still, undoubtedly an Irish legend who also was definitely one of the best players to ever grace the Heineken cup with his performances in a red jersey over the years.

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next