The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWC 2011 Will Be Remembered As A Non Event

+43
emack2
cabbagesandbrussels
ultra
trebellbobaggins
radelven
Comfort
funnyExiledScot
BATH_BTGOG
Morgannwg
Adam D
RubyGuby
Taylorman
gavstar
mystiroakey
Runster
Glas a du
Oxford Welsh
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
gelodge
Davie
wonder_man
doctor_grey
Pot Hale
Gatts
maestegmafia
bluestonevedder
TheGreyGhost
Shifty
Taffineastbourne
Biltong
MarcusHalberstram
tomhughesnice
JDandfries
Bitter Beer
andy powells minder
Luckless Pedestrian
Metal Tiger
dogtooth
kiakahaaotearoa
Cardiff Taffy
Ozzy3213
disneychilly
HERSH
47 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

RWC 2011 Will Be Remembered As A Non Event Empty RWC 2011 Will Be Remembered As A Non Event

Post by HERSH Mon 10 Oct 2011, 1:33 pm

Now that the dust has settled on yet another RWC who else thinks its time for the format to change?

For me it needs to change by the next RWC as some teams are getting a raw deal with schedules and some teams like England have an easy pool which ultimately cost them as they lost focus when they came up against a real quality team, Wales on the other hand had to raise their game just to make it through the pool stage which does help focus the mind as they have experienced failure at the pool stage many times before, Ireland was another case where by they really only had one meaningful game before they faced a battle hardened Welsh team in the QF.

The current format is so unbalanced and unfair that whoever wins the 2011 RWC won’t compare to what has gone before and shouldn’t be mentioned in the same breath.

RWC 2011 will be remembered as a non event for all rugby fans.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

RWC 2011 Will Be Remembered As A Non Event Empty Re: RWC 2011 Will Be Remembered As A Non Event

Post by disneychilly Mon 10 Oct 2011, 1:38 pm

Try telling that to the fans of the winning team. Plus you only just beat both Argentina and Scotland so you could say that France didn't face a quality team either and will be underdone for the semi.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

RWC 2011 Will Be Remembered As A Non Event Empty Re: RWC 2011 Will Be Remembered As A Non Event

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 10 Oct 2011, 1:45 pm

HERSH

Whilst I am sure that there is some merit in what you say in terms of the scheduling and seedings of pools being poor, this is obviously a blatant attempt at a wind up by you in terms of attempting to devalue the win for whoever gets it as it is not going to be England.

I hope that people take it as tongue in cheek and do not bite, but if this turns into an argumentative WUMFEST I will be getting the red pen out and removing it from the board.

If you want to make a real point about the scheduling, how about penning a sensible article detailing some alternatives.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Mon 10 Oct 2011, 1:50 pm

So happy I found 606v2. I almost forgot about Hersh. Keep em coming matey I love it....

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 10 Oct 2011, 1:51 pm

Welcome to our world Hersh. Pool party games and then a dunking in the knockouts followed by a drowning.

But to describe the 2011 RWC a non event after England are dumped out of it is going way too far. NZ vs Australia, Wales vs France. Doesn´t seem much like a non event to me. Followed by a battle of the NH vs SH. Sounds like a dream draw to me actually.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Mon 10 Oct 2011, 1:55 pm

Cry

so sorry you cant enjoy the rest of the tournament. at least your team had fun while they were at the party.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:01 pm

It's only Hersh.

We English fans don't take him seriously (he does support Barf afterall and declared them Premiership Champions after 1 match), so the rest of you certainly shouldn't.

Actually... talking of old 606 mass debators... whatever ever happened to TigerLegHorn?
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:04 pm

I'm Tigerleghorn.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:06 pm

no no no, I'm Tigerleghorn tee hee Very Happy

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bitter Beer Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:06 pm

I suppose you could argue that Wales reaching the Semi- finals is an anomaly and certainly, this WC has had its share of upsets. Ireland beating Oz springs to mind. The fact that one of Oz or NZ will go out in the semis (I happen to think it will be NZ) leaves the door wide open for a potential NH winner. So to say its been devalued is nonsense, although in terms of structure it could have been better.

Last edited by Bitter Beer on Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bitter Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:06 pm

im tigerleghorn.

umm, no i was the reverend white
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:09 pm

I agree, if England hadn't had such an easy group, then maybe they could have gone further.

Those two one sided hammerings of Scotland and Argentina were no test at all!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by tomhughesnice Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:28 pm

Thats just the way it is with pool matches thought, their has to be an air of randomness to them.

But you can put positive spin and negative spin on the same things in Rugby.

For example lets say England won against France and then beat Wales, people would say England had an easy pool so they didnt pick up any injuries, and they were able to build momentum after crushing weaker nations.

Wales in this instance would complain they were beat as they had bruising pool stages that left them fatigued by the Semi finals.

Blah blah basically, keep the world cup the same.. But maybe the pool seedings should be sorted out 6 months before the start. Argentina for example havnt been a top 4 seed for a while.

tomhughesnice

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:32 pm

What utter toss.

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:47 pm

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 10 Oct 2011, 3:01 pm

Cant argue with that,Biltong!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 10 Oct 2011, 4:12 pm

I'm tigerleghorn and so is my wife!

i think the scheduling has been hard for this tournament simply because it is in new zealand and most of the countries are european so it has made it harder for us to view it, and limited hours in which the tv companies here can view it.

I think it will be sorted out because hopefully the time difference in japan wont be so awkward for us.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon 10 Oct 2011, 4:16 pm

I wouldn't think many of the England team will remember it HERSH, but that's probably more a reflection of their alcohol soaked state for the brief time they were there.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 10 Oct 2011, 4:40 pm

what a pathetic attempt at a WUM. As an Englishman Hersh, this annoys me a hell of a lot, since it is this sort of thing that gives us that 'arrogant' stigma. Pathetic.

Sort it out. For your sake, I hope you have better banter than this! Chin up.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Oct 2011, 4:57 pm

The teams that were knocked out so far were knocked out by better teams, teams that beat the teams that were knocked out.

It all seems pretty fair. The best teams progress the poorer teams go out.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Mon 10 Oct 2011, 7:17 pm

Hersh

I totally agree, especially if Wales win

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 10 Oct 2011, 7:29 pm

I think the title needs a slight modification.

"RWC 2011 Will Be Remembered As A Non-England Event"

There - that's fixed it.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 10 Oct 2011, 7:37 pm

HERSH wrote:RWC 2011 will be remembered as a non event for all rugby fans.
Well, if the All Blacks go ahead and win the RWC 2011, they will have defeated France, Argentina, Australia, and Wales/France. I don't think anyone can argue successfully that playing these teams is a tough road. And, to me, if a team can travel that road and win, they deserve it. I can't see any other format making it easier or harder.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Mon 10 Oct 2011, 7:40 pm

Doc...do you mean is not a tough road. i assume you do as the only way it could have been tougher is if NZ had to play SA and themselves!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by wonder_man Mon 10 Oct 2011, 7:42 pm

This has got to be be the worst opinion ever expressed. Luck of the draw is part and parcel of any 'CUP' competition. I agree the scheduling needs to change to be fairer to 'tier two' teams.
But you can't use that as an excuse for Englands poor performances, the reason for that is simply that England aren't actually the great team the English press thinks they are. And in what way were Argentina and Scotland easy for you?
As I said, worst article I've seen, and disrespectful to the teams left in!!! thumbsdown

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Mon 10 Oct 2011, 7:45 pm

ITS A FLAMING WUM

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Oct 2011, 8:01 pm

The cream has risen to the top and the stodge has sunk to the bottom,
The big four prepare for greatness
whilst the dregs prepare for the flight home.

I was going to go to London for a little break but i checked the weather for the next two days and the forecaster said a load of sh!t is due to arrive from New Zealand so i thought i will spend my few days off work here in Gods country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Mon 10 Oct 2011, 8:02 pm

viewtothegym wrote:The cream has risen to the top and the stodge has sunk to the bottom,

I was going to go to London for a little break but i checked the weather for the next two days and the forecaster said a load of sh!t is due to arrive from New Zealand so i thought i will spend my few days off work here in Gods country.

What a t)(t

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Oct 2011, 8:04 pm

Midget gate
Kissing Gate
Bungee Gate
Ball tampering Gate
Gum shield Gate
Swim Gate
Another Gum shield Gate
and
Departure Gate
kiss

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Mon 10 Oct 2011, 8:06 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Midget gate
Kissing Gate
Bungee Gate
Ball tampering Gate
Gum shield Gate
Swim Gate
Another Gum shield Gate
and
Departure Gate
kiss

that's mildly amusing, your first effort wasn't and brings shame on Wales. Humility is the greatest characteristic of greatness.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Oct 2011, 8:08 pm

Wales randy rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 10 Oct 2011, 8:18 pm

viewtothegym wrote:The cream has risen to the top and the stodge has sunk to the bottom,

There are many here who consider Hersh to be the biggest troll on the rugby section (often with good justification)

I think we have a clear winner though

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Oct 2011, 8:20 pm

On the old 606 back in 2007 i was told by several English fans that any one who isn't involved in the semis should shut up and let the big boys talk rugby!!!!

Me a troll? maybe! but you lot created the monster.

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Mon 10 Oct 2011, 8:40 pm

Ah, that last one is the sort of mature post to be expected from someone that refuses to take responsibility for their behaviour. Puts him very much in the bracket of the sort of character he is criticising.

I'd implore people to just ignore posters like this and indeed the OP. If you don't give them the attention they so desperately crave due to falling short in their own lives, they'll eventually go away or become so dramatic they get themselves banned.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Oct 2011, 8:43 pm

Kissing Gate
Bungee Gate
Ball tampering Gate
Gum shield Gate
Swim Gate
Another Gum shield Gate
and
Departure Gate
kiss

Well done very funny

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 10 Oct 2011, 11:09 pm

Gatts wrote:
Kissing Gate
Bungee Gate
Ball tampering Gate
Gum shield Gate
Swim Gate
Another Gum shield Gate
and
Departure Gate
kiss

that's mildly amusing, your first effort wasn't and brings shame on Wales. Humility is the greatest characteristic of greatness.

Well said Gatts. While occasionally everyone experiences schadenfreude, the public expression of schadenfreude is generally crass.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Oxford Welsh Mon 10 Oct 2011, 11:12 pm

Not sure this is the same Hersh as on BBC606. Not the same style of WUM and writes very differently - more poorly. Also doesn't respond as often to his OP. The old Hersh was quite amusing at times.

Oxford Welsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 11 Oct 2011, 6:39 am

Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Runster Tue 11 Oct 2011, 7:24 am

Bitter Beer wrote:I suppose you could argue that Wales reaching the Semi- finals is an anomaly and certainly, this WC has had its share of upsets. Ireland beating Oz springs to mind. The fact that one of Oz or NZ will go out in the semis (I happen to think it will be NZ) leaves the door wide open for a potential NH winner. So to say its been devalued is nonsense, although in terms of structure it could have been better.

Bitter Beer - maybe the IRB should remove the anomaly of Wales getting to the semi, and put England through in their place, because let's face it, England Richly deserve to be semi- finalists.

Runster

Back to top Go down

Post by Runster Tue 11 Oct 2011, 7:42 am

You have to remember that results of Wales v England are historically pretty much balanced.

Runster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bitter Beer Tue 11 Oct 2011, 8:54 am

Gatts wrote:
Kissing Gate
Bungee Gate
Ball tampering Gate
Gum shield Gate
Swim Gate
Another Gum shield Gate
and
Departure Gate
kiss

He'd have to look up the word humility to find out what it means.

Bitter Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bitter Beer Tue 11 Oct 2011, 8:58 am

Runster wrote:
Bitter Beer wrote:I suppose you could argue that Wales reaching the Semi- finals is an anomaly and certainly, this WC has had its share of upsets. Ireland beating Oz springs to mind. The fact that one of Oz or NZ will go out in the semis (I happen to think it will be NZ) leaves the door wide open for a potential NH winner. So to say its been devalued is nonsense, although in terms of structure it could have been better.

Bitter Beer - maybe the IRB should remove the anomaly of Wales getting to the semi, and put England through in their place, because let's face it, England Richly deserve to be semi- finalists.

Check WC history. Wales reaching the Semi finals is an anomaly.

Bitter Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:25 am

Looking back on some posts and articles from yesterday, I wrote a big typing faux pas (ie. screw up) and fortunately Gatts caught the miss:

"Well, if the All Blacks go ahead and win the RWC 2011, they will have defeated France, Argentina, Australia, and Wales/France. I don't think anyone can argue successfully that playing these teams is a tough road. And, to me, if a team can travel that road and win, they deserve it. I can't see any other format making it easier or harder."
Gatts wrote:Doc...do you mean is not a tough road. i assume you do as the only way it could have been tougher is if NZ had to play SA and themselves!
Gatts caught my error and thanks. I can't stand typing fast and missing key words. I blame Matt Stevens. I completely lost my bind on my keyboard.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:29 am

Wales have shown they have the temperament to tough it out in the pressure cooker environment of knock out rugby on the biggest stage of all.

There are a lot of fans of some of the less composed, less focussed teams like England, for whom the task was too daunting and they lost control of their emotions and resorted to drinking, hence their rugby suffered as a result of their lack of mental fortitude.

History has shown that Wales do well in the high pressure goldfish bowl in the spiritual home of rugby, two trips to NZ world cups and two semi-finals so far. Contrast that with England have not managed a semi final in the spiritual home of rugby at all.

Perhaps an element of the cohesion of the Welsh side is that they are all actually Welsh, in contrast to some other teams, like England comprising a majority of mercenaries from many nations who seemed to splinter mentally when the pressure came on out on the biggest rugby stage of all.

Well done Wales, and good luck for your semi final. If Wales get past France they will have proven surely that one their day they can beat anyone, and that they are the premier northern hemisphere team.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:37 am

GG all i can say is lol. jeasus pal. why does every post you make have to include england in some way or another?

You do realise you can congratulate a team without knocking another at the same time

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Bitter Beer Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:38 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:Wales have shown they have the temperament to tough it out in the pressure cooker environment of knock out rugby on the biggest stage of all.

There are a lot of fans of some of the less composed, less focussed teams like England, for whom the task was too daunting and they lost control of their emotions and resorted to drinking, hence their rugby suffered as a result of their lack of mental fortitude.

History has shown that Wales do well in the high pressure goldfish bowl in the spiritual home of rugby, two trips to NZ world cups and two semi-finals so far. Contrast that with England have not managed a semi final in the spiritual home of rugby at all.

Perhaps an element of the cohesion of the Welsh side is that they are all actually Welsh, in contrast to some other teams, like England comprising a majority of mercenaries from many nations who seemed to splinter mentally when the pressure came on out on the biggest rugby stage of all.

Well done Wales, and good luck for your semi final. If Wales get past France they will have proven surely that one their day they can beat anyone, and that they are the premier northern hemisphere team.

Broken Record

Was your mother a weightlifter?

Bitter Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:51 am

I don't think this thread is a wind up. Hersh represents a part of the English psyche the celts will never understand. Why cant they just accept they weren't good enough? You need to do something to improve.Thats how you improve in all areas of life.

You either sympathise with the guy, or laugh ,which I'm still doing, as it means the more England think like this the better for the rest of us!

Hersh is not alone. QUOTE FROM M.JOHNSON YESTERDAY ' WE HAVEN'T FOUND OUT ANYTHING WE DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW' says it all,posters, says it all. cuppa cake

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:55 am

gavstar wrote:I don't think this thread is a wind up. Hersh represents a part of the English psyche the celts will never understand. Why cant they just accept they weren't good enough? You need to do something to improve.Thats how you improve in all areas of life.

You either sympathise with the guy, or laugh ,which I'm still doing, as it means the more England think like this the better for the rest of us!

Hersh is not alone. QUOTE FROM M.JOHNSON YESTERDAY ' WE HAVEN'T FOUND OUT ANYTHING WE DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW' says it all,posters, says it all. cuppa cake
So I guess this means MJ already knew everything about the team he put on the pitch v. France: That his front row was sub-standard, the second row is average, the back row was not working, the backs were struggling to get involved. I feel better, then.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:58 am

gavstar wrote:

So youre saying that the team knew BEFORE they got here that;
-tindall was already mucking around, and
-Tuilagi COULD do a half pike and tuck dive.

Geez...the scoumdrels! boxing

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:00 am

SNAP

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next