The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Blacks wider training squad- The Blues providing most of the newbies

+4
kiakahaaotearoa
Bathite
blackcanelion
Taylorman
8 posters

Go down

All Blacks wider training squad- The Blues providing most of the newbies Empty All Blacks wider training squad- The Blues providing most of the newbies

Post by Taylorman Tue 14 May 2013, 1:43 am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/8669996/Blues-stars-new-faces-in-ABs-training-squad

Frank Halai represents our own version of Folau- tall, fast, and almost from another code...
Luatua has real field presence and Saili and Piutau have burst onto the scene. I'd have thought Luke Braid deserved a look as well. Highlanders are providing the experienced, and the Saders, Canes and Chiefs a mixture of Old, young and current.

Not a fan of Ali and dont expect him to feature. Just hoping he's not in the running for AB skip instead of Read in McCaws absence. That would truly be a backward move.

With Carter, Cruden, Barrett, and players like Slade, Noakes and even Anscombe on the outer we sure have a good depth at 10- any of these probably capable at test level. Looks like ben Smith and Ranger to fight it out for 13 should Smith not be ready.

Good squad, and good to see new talent again this year.

Blues: Frank Halai, Steven Luatua, Keven Mealamu, Charles Piutau, Rene Ranger, Francis Saili, Piri Weepu and Ali Williams.

Chiefs: Ben Afeaki, Sam Cane, Aaron Cruden, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Liam Messam and Brodie Retallick.

Hurricanes: Beauden Barrett, Dane Coles, Ben Franks, TJ Perenara, Julian Savea, Brad Shields, Conrad Smith, Jeff Toomaga-Allen and Victor Vito.

Crusaders: Dominic Bird, Daniel Carter, Wyatt Crockett, Israel Dagg, Owen Franks, Kieran Read, Luke Romano, Tom Taylor and Samuel Whitelock.

Highlanders: Hosea Gear, Andrew Hore, Ma'a Nonu, Aaron Smith, Ben Smith and Tony Woodcock.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

All Blacks wider training squad- The Blues providing most of the newbies Empty Re: All Blacks wider training squad- The Blues providing most of the newbies

Post by blackcanelion Tue 14 May 2013, 8:41 am

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10883576

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

All Blacks wider training squad- The Blues providing most of the newbies Empty Re: All Blacks wider training squad- The Blues providing most of the newbies

Post by Bathite Tue 14 May 2013, 8:56 am

So in terms of positions, something like this? With Ranger, Shields, etc all having flexibility

Props: Afeaki, Franks, Toomaga, Crockett, Franks, Woodcock
Hooks: Mealuma, Hore, Coles
Locks: Williams, Retallick, Shields, Bird, Romano, Whitelock
Back row: Luatua, Messam, Cane, Vito, Read

HBs: Kerr-Barlow, Perenara, Smith, Cruden, Carter, Taylor,
Centres: Saili, Smith, Nonu, Ranger
Back three: Halai, Piutau, Gear, Dagg, Smith

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 14 May 2013, 9:29 am

Super form is not important with existing ABs. Ali should be nowhere near the team. Dagg and Nonu can be forgiven but should not play the first test to show they need to improve. Cane can consider himself very lucky and Todd or Braid can still be called up so Hansen is suggesting culls will be made and for some fringe players playing rugby will help more. Cole or Shields are considered too raw but hooker prop and lock along with centres need to see some game time given to hopefuls.

Early days yet but seems a good blend. Ranger hopefully has no plans to sign for France. We need someone of his impact because Conrad looks iffy and should be rested.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 14 May 2013, 9:51 am

Here's the Herald's writeup on the newbies http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10883576
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 14 May 2013, 11:53 am

With the Blues players they'll have to curb their attacking instincts and sharpen up their defence. They won't always be in games where they can out score the opposition. But I do like having artillery on hand to cause damage. The likes of Jane and Ben Smith are also good to have because of their defensive reliability. Having both that in the squad is good but at test level defensive frailties are much worse than attacking deficiencies.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 14 May 2013, 2:09 pm

Yeah the cultures also different Kia, Hansen will know how to extract what he needs from the Blues players while ensuring theres a balance of experience and defensive focus.

Ranger particularly needs to sort his alignment but his years been all about learning and hes responded brilliantly under Kirwans attack focus. The Blues contribution is finally one after years that will provide an extra prong to the AB makeup and with several years of a JK/ Ted type setup long may it continue.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 14 May 2013, 2:23 pm

It's definitely a timed contribution. A Samoan born hurricane is picking many Samoa and good on him. What concerns me is Hansen's ability to deal with players particularly if we lose some games which could be likely given Oz and Sa look much better on the injury front this year. How will the new Polynesian players cope if they come under pressure. It takes a different approach with them as they have a bigger team focus and I'm not sure if Hansen is refined enough to notice that difference. Wayne Smith would've been able to do that but for all of teds gruffness he had a great knowledge of getting the best out of individuals. When the chips are down does shag have that soft touch or is he just one paced: in and out and put the kettle on and to hell with any feelings.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 14 May 2013, 2:56 pm

Poor France...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 14 May 2013, 3:01 pm

No Robbie Fruean?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 14 May 2013, 3:03 pm

I don't think the Samoan thing is such an issue as it used to be. These guys are Auckland raised and the pro scene has been around all their lives. Those selected have mostly done the NZ age grade thing and Kirwans a South Auckland boy himself so I think hes giving them the best of both worlds. Though the court apperance thing is a little disturbing for a few of them.

Hansen deserves a little more credit in this respect and I think he learned a lot from GH and smithy to some extent how to handle players without dropping expectations, in the same way hes learned that getting the media on his side actually has its advantages.

The thing is, hes picked them, and I like the way he has been quick to introduce players and get them up to speed from last year- Savea being the best example in terms of how these new guys could go.

I tend to look at it from a positive and can't wait to see what real Auckland input rather than the usual % contribution we've made so far will do for the AB's.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 14 May 2013, 3:15 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:No Robbie Fruean?

He's struggling to hold his starting berth for the Crusaders. Hasn't hit the heights of 2011 sadly
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 14 May 2013, 4:19 pm

I can't really fault him either Tman. But so far not much pressure has been placed on NZ. If you start losing a few games that's when you see what you're made of. Hansen got a relatively easy start to his term as coach. We got the results but the performance was uneven. Many new players were introduced and could be just as many if not more this year. England is the last reference point for us and I'm looking forward to seeing how the team responds to that. France returns to Eden park and they won't lack for motivation with their last game their in their minds. Sa and Oz look stronger and I'm looking forward to the challenge and certainly hope we're placed under pressure as that brings out the best in us. But as it stands we've yet to see Hansen and co really put under pressure. I hope we are though. Better to learn these lessons now than in 2015.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 14 May 2013, 4:29 pm

Always being the positive where the Blues/ ABs are concerned its my view that the AB's could raise to another level. With Lam these new guys wouldnt be there- perhaps Piutau- so already theres a subtle shift in the landscape. I see a new AB breed on the horizon and agree it will be tough this year but I think our game just got faster. thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 14 May 2013, 4:33 pm

Who cares, who is likely not to tour due to club commitments? I wonder if Hansen will be tempted to blend experience with raw talent?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 14 May 2013, 4:40 pm

Thats exacly what he said he'd be doing tonight after the selection. Piutau is themore likely prospect- very Mils like... Love to see Luatua take off- huge prospect if he can get that frame around quickly as he has been.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 14 May 2013, 6:36 pm

Good to hear that. Give the young fellas a crack and have the wise heads to call on. I can't fault his selections other than Ali.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 14 May 2013, 7:09 pm

Yeah whats the point in Ali- just get the feeling someone owes him big time. We have enough experience in our Locks and with him there I get a chilling feeling about the captaincy.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri 17 May 2013, 2:55 am

Don't say it Taylorman some people are made for leadership like Conrad Smith. Some people are not.
Anyway with Read there its not a problem.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 17 May 2013, 3:00 am

Yes but some people have been fooled into think Ali is a leader when he's not. Has way too much ego and is playing average. Yet everyones still picking him. I can't stand having players there purely for mentoring purposes alone, not for the length of time he has, which is the only reason he's there.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down