The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miguel Cotto vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr

+5
BALTIMORA
Mr Bounce
Fists of Fury
Daz
pacman79
9 posters

Go down

Miguel Cotto vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr  Empty Miguel Cotto vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr

Post by pacman79 Fri May 06 2011, 09:56

Cotto's promoter Bob Arum has stated to boxingscene.com that he is considering pitting Cotto against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (42-0-1, 30 KO's).

The fight would be for Chavez's WBC middleweight (160 lbs) world championship belt, assuming Chavez beats Sebastian Zbik (30-0, 10 KO's) on June 4, 2011.

Cotto would be aiming to become the first Puerto Rican to win a world title in a fourth weight class.

Margarito's eye problems have already delayed his fight with Cotto once from July to September.

Now even that date has come under question as to its likelihood, hence Cotto vs Chavez is considered.

IMO Cotto is a few skill levels above Chavez but is 160lb a step too far for Cotto?

pacman79

Back to top Go down

Miguel Cotto vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr  Empty Re: Miguel Cotto vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr

Post by Daz Fri May 06 2011, 09:58

Pacman79!! Where you been?? Been ages! Last i saw of you was about a year ago on 606!

Cotto would walk through Chavez Jr. Chavez is above average at best but a ticket seller nonetheless.

Want to see the Margarito rematch ideally!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Miguel Cotto vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr  Empty Re: Miguel Cotto vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr

Post by pacman79 Fri May 06 2011, 10:00

Dazstarr wrote:Pacman79!! Where you been?? Been ages! Last i saw of you was about a year ago on 606!

Cotto would walk through Chavez Jr. Chavez is above average at best but a ticket seller nonetheless.

Want to see the Margarito rematch ideally!

I just logged onto the old 606 last night for the first time in about a year and heard ye were all here now so here i am lol

pacman79

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri May 06 2011, 10:01

Welcome, Pacman! Long time no see! I am under a different username now than I used to be back on the old 606, but I remember your articles well! You were the rather informative fellow that spread the news from the boxing websites that we couldn't access from work!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri May 06 2011, 10:04

and lets not forget about the mega uploads links!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri May 06 2011, 10:04

Welcome "back" thumbsup

Cotto will enjoy himself against Chavez Jr. For want of a better phrase, "It wouldn't be fair". KO5 IMO.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri May 06 2011, 11:52

Is this serious? So which one is Arum sacrificing now?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri May 06 2011, 11:58

Is a case of 'how much does Cotto have left' and 'has Chavez got enough to trouble him'.

I for one think Cotto is on the slide, it's one thing to look good against a guy on one leg and a completely shot Mayorga. Not saying Chavez is his old man reincarnated but he has improved under Roach's tutelage. How much so and would it be enough to beat Cotto? Not sure.

Think people are being a bit kind to Cotto with how much he has left, not saying he'll get beaten but stranger things have happened.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Fri May 06 2011, 12:55

I would be the opposite, I think people are over playing Cotto's 'slide'.
He has 1 tainted defeat against Margarito and another to the best fighter on the planet in Pacquaio (Mayweather classed as inactive so no debating this please).

Hardly poor form, and at only 30, still has a few years left in the tank in my opinion. My one concern is that as Cotto in my opinion looked best in the LWW division the step up to 160 may just be one step too far.

Personally though I think Id prefer to see him in with Dzinsiruk if Margarito doesnt come off.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri May 06 2011, 13:01

alanqlm wrote:I would be the opposite, I think people are over playing Cotto's 'slide'.
He has 1 tainted defeat against Margarito and another to the best fighter on the planet in Pacquaio (Mayweather classed as inactive so no debating this please).

Hardly poor form, and at only 30, still has a few years left in the tank in my opinion. My one concern is that as Cotto in my opinion looked best in the LWW division the step up to 160 may just be one step too far.

Personally though I think Id prefer to see him in with Dzinsiruk if Margarito doesnt come off.

I wasn't talking about the defeat to Marg, was talking about his struggles with Clottey who the old Cotto would've beaten comfortably. He didn't sparkle against the one legged and very average Foreman and we can discount his win over Mayorga due to the latter being completely and utterly shot to pieces.

I've got evidence to say Cotto isn't the fighter he was, have you for your point?

And age doesn't matter a damn, Morales was shot after so many wars @ 28 but has come back well after a break. Hatton was shot at 30 or so. Could go on and on.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Fri May 06 2011, 13:07

Sorry my point didnt come across as clear as I meant it to.
I wouldn't disagree that his best days are behind him (please note I did say he looked best at LWW).

I just think we disgree on how far Cotto has slid, Cotto at his best in my opinion would be top 3-5 p4p, Cotto as he is now Id say 8-15. Still pretty darn good in my opinion. Smile

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri May 06 2011, 13:07

Would Fancy Cotto to take this one, i feel he still has enough left in the tank and has far too much experience for young Chavez, too soon for Chavez although i'm not sure if he'll ever be ready for such fights.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri May 06 2011, 13:09

alanqlm wrote:Sorry my point didnt come across as clear as I meant it to.
I wouldn't disagree that his best days are behind him (please note I did say he looked best at LWW).

I just think we disgree on how far Cotto has slid, Cotto at his best in my opinion would be top 3-5 p4p, Cotto as he is now Id say 8-15. Still pretty darn good in my opinion. Smile

Fair point, quite how far they are behind him is guesswork. Luckily Chavez doesn't bang all that much, but he does have a suspect chin (evident from his LWW days) although i wouldn't expect it to crack unless he got in with Martinez... who IMO would probably end his career.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Fri May 06 2011, 13:16

Glad we could come to a mutual understanding.
I personally feel he would beat Chavez as I think he is abit of a hype job though Id like to see him prove me wrong, feel he gets a bit of a hard time just cause he aint as good as his old man but lets be honest very few are.

Though completly agree on the Martinez thing as big as it could be I dont think I ever want to see them in the ring together.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Fri May 06 2011, 14:21

I agree with Coxy on this one.
Cotto is a far superior boxer to Chavez Jr but I still think this could end up being a fairly close fight.
Cotto looks fairly small at LMW and its hard to judge how much he has left since the loss to Paquaio as neither Foreman or a shot Mayorga were ever going to pose much threat.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down