The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland summer tour squad

+25
bsando
R!skysports
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
sickofwendy
TJ1
Tramptastic
IanBru
RuggerRadge2611
tigertattie
Bathman_in_London
21st Century Schizoid Man
Captain_Sensible
Geordie
flyhalffactory
funnyExiledScot
Biltong
Majestic83
cp10
Solid8
George Carlin
RDW
Pat_Mustard
Imperialbigdave
alexgmacdonald
29 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Scotland summer tour squad  - Page 2 Empty Scotland summer tour squad

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue 07 May 2013, 10:53 am

First topic message reminder :

Scotland squad for quadrangular tournament with South Africa, Samoa and Italy next month:

Backs: Alex Dunbar* (Glasgow Warriors), Tom Heathcote (Bath Rugby), Peter Horne*, Ruaridh Jackson (both Glasgow Warriors), Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby), Sean Lamont, Peter Murchie*, Henry Pyrgos (all Glasgow Warriors), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby), Tommy Seymour* (Glasgow Warriors), Duncan Taylor* (Saracens), Greig Tonks* and Tim Visser (both Edinburgh Rugby)

Forwards: John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors), Johnnie Beattie (Montpellier), Kelly Brown (Saracens) CAPTAIN, Geoff Cross, David Denton (both Edinburgh Rugby), Alasdair Dickinson (Sale Sharks), Ross Ford, Grant Gilchrist (both Edinburgh Rugby), Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors), Jim Hamilton (Gloucester Rugby), Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors), Steven Lawrie* (Edinburgh Rugby), Moray Low, Pat MacArthur* (both Glasgow Warriors), Euan Murray (Worcester Warriors), Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan), Tim Swinson* and Ryan Wilson (both Glasgow Warriors).
* = uncapped

Seems a pretty decent squad

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Scotland summer tour squad  - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland summer tour squad

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 08 May 2013, 2:43 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Bathman – what will happen to Heathcoat with George Ford coming?

Good question! We will have 2 young FHs who both may possibly be absent during international windows.

I think reading between the lines of what Gary Gold has said was that the original plan was that Ford would be no.1 and Heathcote would be backup/available during the international windows. However since then Heathcote has become an international while Ford isnt so that plan has presumably changed.

Hopefully from a club point of view they can both spur each other on and we can have some genuine competition for the spot, making them better internationally too. It would be a real sham to lose Heathcote as he is an academy lad but his rival for the shirts Dad is our defence coach...

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 08 May 2013, 2:46 pm

And we all know what happens with regards to selection when your dad is a coach… Whistle

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 08 May 2013, 3:32 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Imperialbigdave wrote:I agree that Groves ommision for the past 3 and a half years has been baffling, but he is a 13 and only a 13. Taylor adds bench cover for everything past stand off, so could be invaluable on what is likely to be a long and gruelling tour.

Well he's only started 5 games this season, so how can you possibly know that he can cover (at international rugby standard) 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15??

There are quite a few versatile backs in the squad, so I don't think versatility justifies his selection.

Let's face it, Scott Johnson has ignored form and experience and just taken a punt on a kid who has barely played pro rugby. Let's call a spade a spade, and not pretend that there's more logic to this or any particularly profound justification. I sincerely wish the boy all the very best, and hope that he can make a seamless transition to international rugby. He's a big lad and has the raw materials to be a decent player, let's hope being thrown in at the deep end proves to be the right decision. I'd have been happier had his inclusion not come at the expense of a more deserving and thus far better player.

You seem to think this is his first season playing rugby... Hes been playing for saracens since 2011.

edit: and made almost first team 30 appearances. In addition to the fact that the jeff has a reserve league so hes always getting gametime even when not for the first XV, hes also got a ton of experience in the championship. Hes got about the same amount of experience as the likes of Horne and Dunbar.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 08 May 2013, 3:44 pm

The more I think about it, the more I want to see Heathcote at 10 for Edinburgh.

We'll do a swap for him with Francis?Scotland summer tour squad  - Page 2 2211252749
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 08 May 2013, 4:30 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:
You seem to think this is his first season playing rugby... Hes been playing for saracens since 2011.

edit: and made almost first team 30 appearances. In addition to the fact that the jeff has a reserve league so hes always getting gametime even when not for the first XV, hes also got a ton of experience in the championship. Hes got about the same amount of experience as the likes of Horne and Dunbar.

You mean he's been in the Saracens "squad" since 2011. He has never played for their first team on a regular basis during that time, and isn't in their matchday squad for any significant fixtures.

Dunbar and Horne have each started 18 games this season. 18 vs 5. Horne and Dunbar are first choice, have played in the HC and are about to feature in the Rabo playoffs.

When you say "30 appearances", I'm pretty sure that includes coming off the bench, and the number is actually 27. Since his debut in 2011.

Shall we look at Alex Grove, and how many games he has started?

What's so hard to admit that this is a gamble?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 08 May 2013, 5:03 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
You mean he's been in the Saracens "squad" since 2011. He has never played for their first team on a regular basis during that time, and isn't in their matchday squad for any significant fixtures.

Dunbar and Horne have each started 18 games this season. 18 vs 5. Horne and Dunbar are first choice, have played in the HC and are about to feature in the Rabo playoffs.

When you say "30 appearances", I'm pretty sure that includes coming off the bench, and the number is actually 27. Since his debut in 2011.

Shall we look at Alex Grove, and how many games he has started?

What's so hard to admit that this is a gamble?

For starters, I said almost 30 games, so to pick me out that its actually 27 is incredibly pedantic.

Dunbar and Horne werent first choice until this season, and in the past when they dont play for glasgow, they dont play. They may have had a lot of gametime this season, but it still only amounts to a handfull mroe games than Taylor. Again, Taylor has played plenty in the championship which while it may not be the same standard, isnt far off. To say this guy has no experience is just not true.

Also, please quote me where I have explicitly said it isnt a gamble. Its a gamble taking any uncapped player, regardless of how much experience they have at club level. But that doesnt mean that he shouldnt tour just because he doesnt have 50 appearances for Saracens. Matt Scott was a gamble last summer tour, but fully deserved to go. Stuart Hogg was a gamble when he played agaisnt wales, but he deserved it. He had even less experience than Taylor does now. These players were called up because the coaches believed they could bring something to the team, just as Taylors versatility brings something to the team. Youve made it clear you havent actually seen this guy apart from the A game, well I have. He doesnt look out of place at premiership level at all.

"Shall we look at Alex Grove, and how many games he has started?"

take that patronsing tone elsewhere please. I gave my case for Taylor over Grove and it was not based on the number of games theyd played.

Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 08 May 2013, 5:22 pm

tigertattie wrote:The more I think about it, the more I want to see Heathcote at 10 for Edinburgh.

We'll do a swap for him with Francis?Scotland summer tour squad  - Page 2 2211252749

Sounds fair, let me just bend over...

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 08 May 2013, 6:31 pm

IBD - just a couple of points:

1. Why say "almost 30" when you knew it was 27? Is it to exaggerate his meagre top flight experience? How many of those were starts I wonder, rather than 5-10 minutes here and there?

2. I take you point about him playing in the Championship, which is a fair one. I confess to having not the faintest clue as to how he has performed in the Championship, needless to say I prefer to judge the readiness of players for international rugby based on top flight rugby, be it Rabo or Aviva.

3. Matt Scott was capped having played a number of high profile games for Edinburgh, and having nailed down a starting spot in a top level side. Again, it's a pointless comparison to make. Similarly Stuart Hogg, who had nailed down the starting slot for Glasgow with a string of exceptional performances in the Rabo12 before his call up to the XV (which many now agree was in fact overdue - thus his immediate call-up to the XV). Again, an utterly pointless comparison. The likes of Swinson, Wilson, Horne and Dunbar, form players starting regularly for a top level side and with HC experience, are clearly less of a "gamble" than someone like Duncan Taylor. That is obvious.

4. I'm keen to learn more about Taylor's abilities. Please let me know which of the 5 games this season Taylor played in which particularly impressed you? Which positions did he play in demonstrating his versatility? I saw him play on the wing for the As, and he looked ok. Nothing to justify this selection though.

5. I'm a lawyer. I deliver all communications in a patronising tone. It's what we do.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 08 May 2013, 6:45 pm

You possibly can't tell from here, but I am seeking to break the underlying tension in this thread by mooning you guys. OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 08 May 2013, 6:57 pm

George Carlin wrote:You possibly can't tell from here, but I am seeking to break the underlying tension in this thread by mooning you guys. OK

Isn't that a capital punishment offence over there??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 08 May 2013, 7:07 pm

I've been mooning you guys for weeks. It's my way of showing the love.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 08 May 2013, 7:08 pm

Who was standing in Hogg or Scotts way at their clubs? Taylor has Ashton, Strettle, Barritt, Tomkins, Wyles, and Goode all in his way in his postions. Hogg had Murchie who at the time was an inexperienced cente covering at fullback, and Scott had Houston and a crocked King. I doubt they wouldve shot to the top so quickly had they been at other clubs. Even so, what about Tom Ryder? He definitely wasnt first choice when he toured last year. Neither was Tom Brown. Murchie and Seymour werent first choice and hardly established players when they benched in the autumn. While it is a big factor, you dont necessarily have to have been first choice to fit into national coaches plans.

Taylors played against most of the premiership teams. Ive seen him play against Irish, Bath, Gloucester, and Chiefs, and hes benched against big guns like Tigers in important fixtures. Hes very much like Ansbro (another who wasnt first choice at his club when we dropped him in), jack of all trades, low error count player. He'll not turn the game on its head, but he provides a solid prescence in attack and defence. Considering the likes of Short, Wyles, and Ratuvou were usually the utlity back until this season, id say theres a lot of trust in him from the club.

I apologise about the patronising comment, it was one of those ones you immediately regret after posting it.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 08 May 2013, 10:40 pm

So what does he give that Nikki Walker, Tom Brown, or another capped player doesn't have? I'm all for capping very, very young players if they've got experience of top level rugby, i.e Hogg and Scott, or an exceptional talent, i.e Bennett or Jonny Gray, but this stinks of giving away the shirt, being capped should be an achievement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 08 May 2013, 11:02 pm

Tom Browns form has been dreadfull this season and Walker has been struggling with injury and covers only one position. This guy can bring an all round skill set thats frankly lacking in our backline. Too many players that can do one thing really well, but are shaky in other departments.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu 09 May 2013, 11:58 am

123456789 wrote:So what does he give that Nikki Walker, Tom Brown, or another capped player doesn't have? I'm all for capping very, very young players if they've got experience of top level rugby, i.e Hogg and Scott, or an exceptional talent, i.e Bennett or Jonny Gray, but this stinks of giving away the shirt, being capped should be an achievement.

Nah mind his comments after the first or second match (?) of the six nations when he said he could have thrown pat MacArthur on but he didn't because the shirt needs to be earned, not just thrown on for the sake of a cap? I reckon this Taylor lad might have a better all round skillset - any talented option should be considered, besides he might just be going for the experience of the tour rather than actually playing

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 09 May 2013, 12:17 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:You possibly can't tell from here, but I am seeking to break the underlying tension in this thread by mooning you guys. OK

Isn't that a capital punishment offence over there??
Not if you do it in a Sharia'a-compliant way like I do. OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 09 May 2013, 1:55 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:Who was standing in Hogg or Scotts way at their clubs? Taylor has Ashton, Strettle, Barritt, Tomkins, Wyles, and Goode all in his way in his postions. Hogg had Murchie who at the time was an inexperienced cente covering at fullback, and Scott had Houston and a crocked King. I doubt they wouldve shot to the top so quickly had they been at other clubs.

Oh, I see. You're willing to give Taylor the benefit of the doubt purely because he's at Saracens and unable to play top flight rugby because of the depth they have. That's ridiculous. You still have to prove yourself in top level rugby in my view, and if you are not good enough to play top level rugby at your current club (be it as a starter or an important member of the 23), then you need to move. We certainly shouldn't be taking it on trust that if he had played regularly, you'd have been good.

Ryder may not have been first choice, but he was in the 23 and playing regularly when he made the squad. Ansbro is probably a better example, but at the time he was capped we had very little competition at outside centre, whereas Taylor has leapfrogged at least one more deserving player to make the squad.

Truth is that if Duncan Taylor wants to be an international rugby player, he needs to either get himself into the Sarries 23, or find another club where he can play. It's unrealistic for him to be an international player, ahead of player who are getting regular top flight action, if he spends another season being hired around the Championship for some game, and making the odd appearance for Sarries in low pressure fixtures.

He's a lucky boy making this squad. I hope he siezes the opportunity with both hands, realises he needs to be playing more regularly, and leaves Sarries for Edinburgh.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 09 May 2013, 1:58 pm

[quote="funnyExiledScot"]
Imperialbigdave wrote:Ansbro is probably a better example, but at the time he was capped we had very little competition at outside centre, whereas Taylor has leapfrogged at least one more deserving player to make the squad.

So Grove applies when Taylor leapfrogs him, but not when Ansbro leapfroged him?
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 09 May 2013, 2:06 pm

When Ansbro made his debut in the 2010 AIs, was Grove not either injured or out of form during his period at Edinburgh?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 09 May 2013, 2:08 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:When Ansbro made his debut in the 2010 AIs, was Grove not either injured or out of form during his period at Edinburgh?

He wasnt setting the heather on fire, but then neither is he doing that at worcester currently.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 09 May 2013, 2:23 pm

Also worth remembering that Ansbro made his debut as a late call-up for Max Evans - he wasn't included in the initial squad.

From a quick look at the Saints fixtures leading up to his call-up, Ansbro was in the 23 regularly that season prior to his call-up and started a fair few fixtures.

Not sure the comparison works really.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 09 May 2013, 2:28 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:When Ansbro made his debut in the 2010 AIs, was Grove not either injured or out of form during his period at Edinburgh?

He wasnt setting the heather on fire, but then neither is he doing that at worcester currently.

Maybe not setting the heather on fire, but playing regularly and playing well. Good basics, good hands and strong in defence.

Duncan Taylor is lucky to be there.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 09 May 2013, 2:31 pm

"Maybe not setting the heather on fire, but playing regularly and playing well. Good basics, good hands and strong in defence."

Which is exactly what Taylor brings, but he has more pace, and covers more positions. I dont agree that hes lucky at all.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 09 May 2013, 2:50 pm

But unlike Grove, Taylor hasn't proved any of things at a decent level on a consistent basis. That's a fact, because he's never played at a decent level on a consistent basis.

You keep telling me how versatile he is, and yet he's only started 5 games for Sarries this season, and 9 games of top flight rugby in his life. In order to be a versatile player in international rugby, you need to prove that you are a versatile player in top flight rugby, not that you can do a job here or there. With the game time he's had, it would be impossible to prove to me that he's genuinely versatile for the purposes of international rugby. The only claim to versatility is that he's equally unproven as a winger than he is as a 12 or a 13 (or a 15, if your claim above is correct).

Then you have to ask, with Sean Lamont in the squad, whether we really need his supposed versatility? Murchie and Tonks have also played centre as well remember, Scott can play 12 or 13, as can Dunbar, plus we have Visser and Seymour as specialist wingers.

I can't believe that anyone can genuinely think Duncan Taylor "deserves" to be there, based on his career thus far, and Grove doesn't. Hell, even Mark Bennett has a case to be going if you think Taylor deserves to be there....not to mention Dougie Fife!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 09 May 2013, 3:35 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:But unlike Grove, Taylor hasn't proved any of things at a decent level on a consistent basis. That's a fact, because he's never played at a decent level on a consistent basis.

You keep telling me how versatile he is, and yet he's only started 5 games for Sarries this season, and 9 games of top flight rugby in his life. In order to be a versatile player in international rugby, you need to prove that you are a versatile player in top flight rugby, not that you can do a job here or there. With the game time he's had, it would be impossible to prove to me that he's genuinely versatile for the purposes of international rugby. The only claim to versatility is that he's equally unproven as a winger than he is as a 12 or a 13 (or a 15, if your claim above is correct).

Then you have to ask, with Sean Lamont in the squad, whether we really need his supposed versatility? Murchie and Tonks have also played centre as well remember, Scott can play 12 or 13, as can Dunbar, plus we have Visser and Seymour as specialist wingers.

I can't believe that anyone can genuinely think Duncan Taylor "deserves" to be there, based on his career thus far, and Grove doesn't. Hell, even Mark Bennett has a case to be going if you think Taylor deserves to be there....not to mention Dougie Fife!

You mean he hasnt proved them to you. If he hadnt proved them he wouldnt have got a second game, let alone 27. With the squad saracens have he wouldnt have been in a matchday squad ever again if he didnt prove himself to them. You claim that the big difference between Horne and Dunbars gametime and Taylors is the difference, yet suggest Bennett!
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 09 May 2013, 3:46 pm

That's 27 appearances, not 27 starts. The actual figure of starts is 9. Just 9 - since 2011.

My suggestion of Bennett was not serious. If you know me at all, you'll know that I have zero time for chucking kids into international rugby, and had a very similar conversation to this one a couple of years back when ASBO suggested Bennett tour with Scotland one summer based on a small handful of appearances. He still isn't ready, two years on.

I think 5 starts in one season isn't an awful lot to base anything upon, let alone determine that you have a player not just ready for international rugby, but versatile with it - and showing sufficient form. I think you're smoking something "herbal"!

This is a punt by Johnson. He wants to show that he's willing to give kids a chance, it makes him look progressive. If Scotland and Taylor do well in the summer, he looks like he's spotted talent, if they flop, well I guess he isn't going to be head coach anyway so little to lose.

I'd have been happy for Taylor to tour for the experience, but only if Grove had gone as well. In a similar notion I think Kennedy should have gone. Similarly low on experience and proven ability, however he is our 3rd best fit and available scrum half, whether we like it or not, and of the three scrum halves, he has the quickest service and is the sharpest on the break.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 09 May 2013, 3:58 pm

What about Fife then? You suggested earlier in the thread that he wouldve been a more deserving bolter, and hes had 11 starts in the same time period as Taylor. So what sets him apart? Why was fife deserving, but Taylor not?
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 09 May 2013, 4:01 pm

Am totally scared to join in, but regardless: Scotland summer tour squad  - Page 2 1347041234
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 09 May 2013, 4:33 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:What about Fife then? You suggested earlier in the thread that he wouldve been a more deserving bolter, and hes had 11 starts in the same time period as Taylor. So what sets him apart? Why was fife deserving, but Taylor not?

Neither are deserving. However, if you take the view that Taylor deserves to be in the squad, then why not Fife? He's become a regular starter in the Edinburgh XV, and he has played Rabo rugby at both centre and wing, and as such is "versatile" (although I'm not eager to see Fife up against Jacques Fourie just yet....).

The reason is of course that he's new to top level rugby and still very much learning his trade at that level, as is Taylor. He also has competition from more proven and form alternatives, which is presumably why Tommy Seymour, Tim Visser and Sean Lamont made it in ahead of him.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 09 May 2013, 4:34 pm

Scotland summer tour squad  - Page 2 1347041234

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 09 May 2013, 4:57 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Imperialbigdave wrote:What about Fife then? You suggested earlier in the thread that he wouldve been a more deserving bolter, and hes had 11 starts in the same time period as Taylor. So what sets him apart? Why was fife deserving, but Taylor not?

Neither are deserving. However, if you take the view that Taylor deserves to be in the squad, then why not Fife? He's become a regular starter in the Edinburgh XV, and he has played Rabo rugby at both centre and wing, and as such is "versatile" (although I'm not eager to see Fife up against Jacques Fourie just yet....).

The reason is of course that he's new to top level rugby and still very much learning his trade at that level, as is Taylor. He also has competition from more proven and form alternatives, which is presumably why Tommy Seymour, Tim Visser and Sean Lamont made it in ahead of him.

One the whole there is nothing between Fife and Taylor. Fife mightve started more games in a row, but losing dead rubbers in a demoralised team doesnt quite compare to winning important matches in a title contending team. That will have been a factor considered when choosing between many edinburgh and glasgow players in recent seasons, and Ive no doubt it will have crossed Johnsons mind this time.

However I perhaps misinterpreted your post on the first page when you question why Fife isnt going ahead of him. I got the impression you genuinely thought Fife shouldve been going in his place, in which case I dont agree that its any more than a 50 50 call between the two. If it was hypothetical, then ive been swinging at shadows and I apologise.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 09 May 2013, 5:17 pm

No, I certainly wouldn't go to battle for Dougie Fife being in the Scotland squad. He needs to consolidate his position at Edinburgh. I think he's got potential to be an international player, but it needs to be realised in a club jersey.

I'd say exactly the same for Duncan Taylor.

Still, I'm pleased Taylor is in ahead of Max Evans and Nick De Luca, both of whom need to sort themselves out a club level, as both are performing below par.

As for Grove, well he's still only 25, so hopefully the new head coach doesn't overlook him to the same extent Robinson and Scott Johnson have.

One thing is for certain, we're going to learn a fair bit about the international credentials of a few players this summer. MacArthur, Swinson, Wilson, Heathcote, Horne, Dunbar, Seymour and Tonks should all be featuring heavily, and if IBD can get a line to Johnson, Duncan Taylor as well!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 09 May 2013, 5:28 pm

Ive already sent him an invite to the Duncan Taylor fan club.

Our club song:

"What shall we do with a Duncan Taylor?
What shall we do with a Duncan Taylor?
What shall we do with a Duncan Taylor?!
Let him play for Scotland!

He can pass and also kick,
His hair is bushy and quite thick,
Hes got big hands and a big...glove!
Let him play for Scotland!"

Last edited by Imperialbigdave on Thu 09 May 2013, 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : rhyming)
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 09 May 2013, 5:46 pm

Dear God!

Laugh

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 09 May 2013, 6:19 pm

Scotland summer tour squad  - Page 2 1347041234 Scotland summer tour squad  - Page 2 1347041234 Scotland summer tour squad  - Page 2 1347041234
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Thu 09 May 2013, 7:05 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:No, I certainly wouldn't go to battle for Dougie Fife being in the Scotland squad. He needs to consolidate his position at Edinburgh. I think he's got potential to be an international player, but it needs to be realised in a club jersey.

I'd say exactly the same for Duncan Taylor.

Still, I'm pleased Taylor is in ahead of Max Evans and Nick De Luca, both of whom need to sort themselves out a club level, as both are performing below par.

As for Grove, well he's still only 25, so hopefully the new head coach doesn't overlook him to the same extent Robinson and Scott Johnson have.

One thing is for certain, we're going to learn a fair bit about the international credentials of a few players this summer. MacArthur, Swinson, Wilson, Heathcote, Horne, Dunbar, Seymour and Tonks should all be featuring heavily, and if IBD can get a line to Johnson, Duncan Taylor as well!

Yup - Looking forward to it

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 10 May 2013, 7:25 am

So.........Vernon for 22 anyone?? tomato

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 May 2013, 7:45 am

I see Samoa's squad has been announced, Quite a strong squad this, me thinks the tournament in the RS of A is hotting up.

by Brenden Nel 06 May 2013, 11:51

Manu Samoa have named a very strong squad – comprising just two locally based players – for their tour of South Africa next month.

Boasting a range of players who are active in English, French and Japanese leagues, as well as in Vodacom Super Rugby, coach Stephen Betham will bring probably the strongest squad ever assembled outside a World Cup to these shores for the four nation tournament involving the Springboks, Italy and Scotland.

Buoyed by the IRB’s help in securing their overseas-based players for the tour, the Samoans have loaded their squad with players based abroad and will give the first glimpse of the side they intend to take to the World Cup in England.

While old hands such as Alesana Tuilagi, Cencus Johnson and former Blues fullback Paul Williams are all there, the squad also boasts the Pisi brothers – George and Tui – with George now with Northampton while Tui is in South Africa at the moment with the Hurricanes squad.

Other Super Rugby players named to tour include Canes flanker Jack Lam, hooker Manu Leiataua and Canes winger Alapati Leiua while lock Kane Thompson, who now plays for the Canon Eagles in Japan, is also no stranger to local television screens.

The British based contingent includes Leceister Tigers porp Logovii Mulipola, Newcastle’s Taiasina Tuifua and Sale’s Johnny Leota while Sevens circuit regulars Alafoti Faosiliva and Ofisa Treviranus also make the grade.

Hooker Tii Paulo (Clermont), lock Daniel Leo (Perpignan) and former Crusaders halfback Kahn Fotualii will also be no strangers to South African shores.

In announcing the team Samoa Rugby Union chairman, Tuilaepa Sa’ilele Malielegaoi, said two players will be added to the squad later. They will be a loose forward and a winger. A captain has yet to be finalised as well.

There has been some speculation that last year’s captain David Lemi may be the winger added to the squad when concerns over his availability have been cleared up.

The Samoans will play both Italy and Scotland in curtain-raisers to Springbok tests in June, and depending on how they do, may well face the Springboks in the third and final week of the mini tournament.

They will also kick off their tour with a friendly match against the Lions at Ellis Park.

Samoan squad to tour South Africa

Hookers: Tii Paulo – ASM Clermont France Wayne Ole Avei – Bordeaux Beagles
Manu Leiataua – North Harbor NZ

Props : Cencus Johnston – Tolouse France
Logovii Mulipola – Leicester Tigers UK
Sakaria Taulafo – London Wasp UK
James Johnston – Harlequins UK

Locks: Kane Thompson – Canon Eagles, Japan Iosefa Tekori – Casters Olympic, France
Daniel Leo – Perpignan, France
Teofilo Paulo – Cardiff Blues, Wales

Loose Forwards :
Taiasina Tuifua – Newcastle Falcons UK
Alafoti Faosiliva – Bristol Rugby Club
Ofisa Treviranus – London Irish, UK
Jack Lam – Hurricanes, NZ
Maurie Faasavalu – Harlequins UK
Faalemiga Selesele – Moata’a, Samoa ** (one to be added) **

Halfback: Kahn Fotualii – Ospreys Wales
Jeremy Sua – Canterbury Crusaders UK
Auvasa Falealii – Thas Newcastle Australia

First Fives: Tusiata Pisi – Wellington Hurricanes Ki Anufe – Marist Auckland

Midfields: George Pisi – Northampton Saints UK
Johnny Leota – Sale Sharks UK
Isaia Tuifua – Vigo Rugby Club, Spain
Brandon Vaaulu – Tokyo Gas, Japan

Wings: Alesana Tuilagi – NTT Shining Arcs Japan
Alapati Leiua – Hurricanes NZ
Robert Lilomaiava – Vaiala Rugby Club Samoa **(one more to be added)**

Fullbacks. Paul Williams – Stade Francais, France James Sooialo – Wellington Norths, NZ
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 10 May 2013, 11:00 am

Bunch of softies the Samoans. I'll be disappointed if we don't beat them by at least 30 clear points.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Fri 10 May 2013, 11:06 am

Is this a round robin tourney?Do Scotland play Italy?

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 10 May 2013, 11:11 am

sickofwendy wrote:Is this a round robin tourney?Do Scotland play Italy?
Scotland play on three successive Saturdays with the first game coming against Samoa on June 8 in Durban before they take on the Springboks in Nelspruit. So everyone plays everyone.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Fri 10 May 2013, 11:16 am

Thanks

Did you enjoy the popcorn?

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Fri 10 May 2013, 12:26 pm

George Carlin wrote:
Scotland play on three successive Saturdays with the first game coming against Samoa on June 8 in Durban before they take on the Springboks in Nelspruit. So everyone plays everyone.

we dont necessarily play italy. We may end up playing the boks or samoa twice.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Fri 10 May 2013, 12:27 pm

I think one of the battles that will be interesting is the 12/13 shirts. I would go with Dunbar at 13 but the main contest will be Matt Scott vs Pete Horne for the 12 spot. I like Horne's style of play where he acts as a second stand off. His running is probably less direct as Matt Scott and uses his step to get away from defenders coupled with his vision and passing ability, I would put him neck and neck with Scott at the moment.

As a Glasgow fan who watches them play every week I can only say this as I've seen him play a lot more, especially live (opposed to highlights). He probably with Dunbar is the best uncapped player we've got.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 10 May 2013, 12:30 pm

I think we'll need Scott's extra physicality and experience against the big Samoans and Saffers.

If we're in the 3rd/4th playoff against Italy I think we might as well try no combos out.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 May 2013, 12:32 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

we dont necessarily play italy. We may end up playing the boks or samoa twice.
That's correct, the format is the last weekend the two top teams play and the two bottom teams play.

What is great about this as a spectacle though is that both games every Saturday will be at the same ground one after another.

So I think because the teams will all be travelling together from city to city, they will be able to really enjoy the tour and each others company.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Fri 10 May 2013, 12:34 pm

Oh I totally agree. There is no basis to drop Scott for Horne. I would have Scott in at 12 then introduce Horne off the bench towards the end of the games (especially if the outcome of the game has been decided). The new guys need the experience and it excites me that we have two very good inside centres building towards the autumn and then next years 6N

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 10 May 2013, 12:40 pm

The more I hear about this tour the better it sounds. Really good effort organising this.

On the centre battle, my strong preference would be to have Scott at 12 and Dunbar at 13, I think that's the best combination. Both are physically strong players but both very capable footballers who look for an offload. Those two with Laidlaw and Heathcote at half back looks to me a very promising midfield combination.

There should be opportunity for Jackson and Horne to combine as well. Both are good distributors. I'm keen for Lamont to go back on the wing (or even better, as an impact sub off the bench) rather than be used at 13, but I suspect that's wishful thinking.

Our midfield options have suddenly become fairly creative, which is nice.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 10 May 2013, 1:08 pm

What about Bennett though FES? Scotland summer tour squad  - Page 2 2211252749
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 10 May 2013, 1:13 pm

Bennett is still playing kiddie rugby this summer, although the new Mark Bennett, Duncan Taylor (the 2nd coming?), will be with us to try and translate his expertise, versatility and form for Sarries into the international jersey.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next