The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland summer tour squad

+25
bsando
R!skysports
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
sickofwendy
TJ1
Tramptastic
IanBru
RuggerRadge2611
tigertattie
Bathman_in_London
21st Century Schizoid Man
Captain_Sensible
Geordie
flyhalffactory
funnyExiledScot
Biltong
Majestic83
cp10
Solid8
George Carlin
RDW
Pat_Mustard
Imperialbigdave
alexgmacdonald
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Scotland summer tour squad  - Page 3 Empty Scotland summer tour squad

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue 07 May 2013, 10:53 am

First topic message reminder :

Scotland squad for quadrangular tournament with South Africa, Samoa and Italy next month:

Backs: Alex Dunbar* (Glasgow Warriors), Tom Heathcote (Bath Rugby), Peter Horne*, Ruaridh Jackson (both Glasgow Warriors), Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby), Sean Lamont, Peter Murchie*, Henry Pyrgos (all Glasgow Warriors), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby), Tommy Seymour* (Glasgow Warriors), Duncan Taylor* (Saracens), Greig Tonks* and Tim Visser (both Edinburgh Rugby)

Forwards: John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors), Johnnie Beattie (Montpellier), Kelly Brown (Saracens) CAPTAIN, Geoff Cross, David Denton (both Edinburgh Rugby), Alasdair Dickinson (Sale Sharks), Ross Ford, Grant Gilchrist (both Edinburgh Rugby), Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors), Jim Hamilton (Gloucester Rugby), Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors), Steven Lawrie* (Edinburgh Rugby), Moray Low, Pat MacArthur* (both Glasgow Warriors), Euan Murray (Worcester Warriors), Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan), Tim Swinson* and Ryan Wilson (both Glasgow Warriors).
* = uncapped

Seems a pretty decent squad

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Scotland summer tour squad  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland summer tour squad

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 10 May 2013, 1:27 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Bennett is still playing kiddie rugby this summer, although the new Mark Bennett, Duncan Taylor (the 2nd coming?), will be with us to try and translate his expertise, versatility and form for Sarries into the international jersey.....

Erm, the original Messiah's spade work is considerably better in the sand pit, and when it comes to creating the best castle, the 2nd coming is simply left standing rubbing the sand oot of his eyes warning

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 10 May 2013, 1:32 pm

Don't let IBD hear you blaspheme against the 2nd Coming like that - I'm starting to wonder if Mark Bennett isn't simply John the Baptist to Duncan Taylor's Messiah.

Taylor would take Bennett's lunch money any day of the week!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 10 May 2013, 2:14 pm

Has Bennett had his day?

Is he not all he was craked up to be?

Was him mum right? He really is not the messiah, just a very naughty boy!!!

Back to the rugby................

Will we see Tonks starting at 15 over Murchie? Tonks is a far better prospect imo!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 10 May 2013, 2:18 pm

Tonks every time, but SJ seems to prefer Murchie. Here’s hoping Tonks starts – well deserved after the season he has had. Played all but 1 Rabbo game for Edinburgh and was a solid performer in most games at least, and a standout in several (although granted that wouldn’t be difficult…).

He’s got basic skills that can only come from someone who didn’t learn his rugby growing up in Scotland!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Fri 10 May 2013, 2:51 pm

Saying that though Murchie has been fantastic this season, it's just unfortunate that he has Stuart Hogg ahead of him. Every game he seems to well and he picks some really great lines.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 10 May 2013, 3:13 pm

Interesting to read today that Johnson has been touting up Gilchrist as potentially the star of the SA tournament

Scotland rugby coach Scott Johnson is tipping Edinburgh second row Grant Gilchrist to be one of the stars of the upcoming quadrangular tournament in South Africa.

The Scots head off later this month for an event featuring the hosts, Samoa and Italy with Gilchrist keen to build on a debut cap against France at the end of the RBS Six Nations Championship.

Johnson said: “Grant Gilchrist is a special player. People forget his run up to the French game was absolutely terrible because of missing three or four games with injury. His first real run out was against the French – for a 22 year-old boy that was a big ask.

“There is something good about Gilcho. He is big and abrasive. The (rugby) world watch out . . . If we get him the way we want he will be a special player. This is part of his learning. We are not going to kill him (but) it is a good development.

“We are up against pretty formidable sides but in three or four years’ time, if we get Gilcho right, and this tour is part of it, the world will know who he is.”

Gilchrist is one of eight Edinburgh players selected including Tim Visser whom the coach expects to take on extra responsibility almost a year after the Dutch-born wing qualified on residency. “Tim understands he is not the new kid on the block.

“There will be people around him who are going through what he went through a year ago. Hopefully he will accept that responsibility.”

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 10 May 2013, 4:14 pm

Hmmmm, I'm not yet sold on Gilchrist, and I've seen him play quite a bit this season. He's good, no question, and at 22 years old is a great prospect, but for my he just lacks that physical edge to his game, and I wouldn't describe him as "abrasive", as Johnson does.

If you put Sean Cox's mind together with Gilchrist's frame, then you'd have a player. He's still just a bit too passive for me. Plenty time to work on it though, and with he and Richie Gray (not to mention his "little" brother), we shouldn't be badly off in the lock department for the next decade.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 10 May 2013, 4:15 pm

tigertattie wrote:Has Bennett had his day?

Is he not all he was craked up to be?

Agreed. Tried, tested, failed. Same category as Nick De Luca.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 10 May 2013, 4:35 pm

I dunno why folk bash De luca so much! He is nowhere near as bad as Marcus Di Rollo

De Luca is a decent player. Ok, he has had a few total brain farts in his day but who hasnt. I'd say he has done more good than harm in the centre for Scotland.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 10 May 2013, 4:40 pm

tigertattie wrote:I dunno why folk bash De luca so much! He is nowhere near as bad as Marcus Di Rollo

De Luca is a decent player. Ok, he has had a few total brain farts in his day but who hasnt. I'd say he has done more good than harm in the centre for Scotland.

He is a decent club player, but not an International I am afraid

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 10 May 2013, 4:56 pm

I was being my usual sarcastic self. I have no real issue with De Luca, for most of his Scotland career he's been picked on merit.

We sorely need him back on form for Edinburgh next season. When he plays well Visser plays well, and when Visser plays well, we score tries.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Fri 10 May 2013, 5:00 pm

I would class taylor as more of a st Peter, while Bennett is more the mary magdeline
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Fri 10 May 2013, 5:48 pm

Duncan Taylor named on sarries bench for AP s/f....... Run

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 10 May 2013, 5:59 pm

mad It's the Rapture!! mad
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Fri 10 May 2013, 6:02 pm

angel

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Fri 10 May 2013, 6:16 pm

sickofwendy wrote:Duncan Taylor named on sarries bench for AP s/f....... Run

Tomkins will get homesick of t' nooooth and go AWOL, Taylor will take the 13 shirt, FES will start sweating, ill go down the winchester, have a nice pint and watch him score a hatrick.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Fri 10 May 2013, 6:28 pm

Very Happy Ale thumbsup

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 11 May 2013, 4:27 pm

Scotland 7s just lost to the mighty Hong Kong in the qualification tournament - absolute embarrassment. picard

They beat Georgia and Zimbabwe (just) and if they won this they would set them self up for a good shot at qualification tomorrow - could potentially be a tough tie now.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat 11 May 2013, 9:53 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Scotland 7s just lost to the mighty Hong Kong in the qualification tournament - absolute embarrassment. picard

They beat Georgia and Zimbabwe (just) and if they won this they would set them self up for a good shot at qualification tomorrow - could potentially be a tough tie now.

Dissapointing from them, but they still finished top seeds. I dont want to call the match against Tonga. They did badly today, but weve lost to such mighty nations as Niue (pop: 1000) in recent years, so who knows?
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 11 May 2013, 10:13 pm

I really think Bennet should be coming on the summer tour. He has really impressed me with the lines he runs for Glasgow. I think he has the potential to be a Scottish BOD, no joke. The angel is living up to his rep Very Happy

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 11 May 2013, 11:21 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Scotland 7s just lost to the mighty Hong Kong in the qualification tournament - absolute embarrassment. picard

Dissapointing from them, but they still finished top seeds. I dont want to call the match against Tonga. They did badly today, but weve lost to such mighty nations as Niue (pop: 1000) in recent years, so who knows?

It was a painful spectacle. Although wasn't as embarrassing as everyone in the crowd booing whenever Scotland scored. I felt like such a minority!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat 11 May 2013, 11:23 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:
Imperialbigdave wrote:

It was a painful spectacle. Although wasn't as embarrassing as everyone in the crowd booing whenever Scotland scored. I felt like such a minority!

As if Scotland would ever lose to Tonga... Shocked

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat 11 May 2013, 11:59 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:
Imperialbigdave wrote:

Can hardly complain after the way England get booed up here.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 12 May 2013, 12:07 am

Imperialbigdave wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:
Imperialbigdave wrote:

Can hardly complain after the way England get booed up here.

Aye true!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 12 May 2013, 7:29 am

bsando wrote:I really think Bennet should be coming on the summer tour. He has really impressed me with the lines he runs for Glasgow. I think he has the potential to be a Scottish BOD, no joke. The angel is living up to his rep Very Happy
I actually agree with this. Not sure that Taylor should be travelling if Bennett is not.

Sorry, but I don't care if the Scotland Creche need him. The senior team is more important and Bennett seems to be ready for a sterner test. He and Dunbar have the potential to be good together.

Say nothing, FES...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun 12 May 2013, 10:04 am

NeilyBroon wrote:
Imperialbigdave wrote:

I really don't understand why we are pi$$ing money against the wall with the 7's team. It seems like a vanity project. I would rather we spent the money on a 3rd pro team.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sun 12 May 2013, 10:06 am

Indeed - I think we shuld scrap the 7s.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by poddy89 Sun 12 May 2013, 12:39 pm

anyone know what tv coverage there is going to be for the scotland tour?

or where it will be shown online?

thanks

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 12 May 2013, 12:40 pm

poddy89 wrote:anyone know what tv coverage there is going to be for the scotland tour?

or where it will be shown online?

thanks

Apparently SKY will have it.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by poddy89 Sun 12 May 2013, 12:42 pm

not so good hopefully i can find it online somewhere

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 12 May 2013, 12:51 pm

Well our brave (7's) boys in blue thumped Tonga, 31-0 and so set up a semi final against Russia. Win that and we'll retain core status.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 12 May 2013, 2:20 pm

We've beaten Russia 19-0. And as such our core status is secured for next year.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 13 May 2013, 10:21 am

George Carlin wrote:
bsando wrote:I really think Bennet should be coming on the summer tour. He has really impressed me with the lines he runs for Glasgow. I think he has the potential to be a Scottish BOD, no joke. The angel is living up to his rep Very Happy
I actually agree with this. Not sure that Taylor should be travelling if Bennett is not.

Sorry, but I don't care if the Scotland Creche need him. The senior team is more important and Bennett seems to be ready for a sterner test. He and Dunbar have the potential to be good together.

Say nothing, FES...

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 13 May 2013, 10:42 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Say nothing, FES...

Fes- for once totally agree with you Wink

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 13 May 2013, 10:44 am

Anyone watch the Sarries game yesterday? Sounds like Taylor got a lot of gametime and even scored!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 13 May 2013, 10:52 am

I only saw about 20 minutes of the second half, but Taylor looked good. A big hard running lump of a centre, but didn't look out of place at all.

With him, Lamont, Scott and Dunbar (who was excellent for Glasgow against Leinster) all going, we won't be short of muscle in the midfield. Whether we'll have enough brains to go with the brawn is a different matter, but against Samoa and South Africa we shouldn't be bullied in the backline.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 13 May 2013, 10:53 am

Definitely want Taylor to come to Edinburgh now - need someone like him!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 13 May 2013, 11:16 am

I must admit, I wanted saints to win, but when Taylor scored, i did find myself with the biggest Poopie eating grin ive had in a while. My prediction was ~63.84% correct. Sure... it wasnt a hatrick, and sure... he replaced hodgson not Tompkins, but it was close enough.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 13 May 2013, 11:20 am

Did he play 12 or 13?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 13 May 2013, 11:41 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Say nothing, FES...

Laugh
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 14 May 2013, 9:26 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Did he play 12 or 13?

12 I think, Tomkins stayed at 13. I only saw about 10 minutes of the second half though.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3