The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ahston should stop just stop tackling...I mean talking

+19
jbeadlesbigrighthand
B91212
R!skysports
The Saint
fa0019
Knackeredknees
Luckless Pedestrian
Biltong
tatterd
beshocked
rodders
Seagultaf
GunsGerms
Geordie
bluestonevedder
thebluesmancometh
wanderingdragon
RubyGuby
munkian
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ahston should stop just  stop tackling...I mean talking Empty Ahston should stop just stop tackling...I mean talking

Post by munkian Tue 07 May 2013, 9:50 am

Whinge whinge whinge

Saracens and England winger Chris Ashton admitted that selection for the British and Irish Lions weighed on his mind all season.

Tipped by many to be selected throughout the season, Ashton was left out of Warren Gatland's squad to tour Australia last week.

Alex Cuthbert, Tommy Bowe, George North and Sean Maitland were all selected ahead of Ashton, who suffered a poor Six Nations campaign with England.

With Saracens in the Aviva Premiership playoffs and England's tour to Argentina on the horizon, Ashton admitted that the prospect of playing for the Lions had been a distraction.

"The Lions has been in the back of my mind all year and it's done my head in a little bit," said Ashton to the Mirror.

"You know it's coming and because it's something you so much want to be a part of, it kind of distracts you.

"It shouldn't, it should motivate you to play better. But sometimes that makes you over-keen and want to do too much."

Insert violin smiley censored
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Ahston should stop just  stop tackling...I mean talking Empty Re: Ahston should stop just stop tackling...I mean talking

Post by RubyGuby Tue 07 May 2013, 9:53 am

I actually admire his honesty on this occasion thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Ahston should stop just  stop tackling...I mean talking Empty Re: Ahston should stop just stop tackling...I mean talking

Post by munkian Tue 07 May 2013, 9:54 am

His attempt at honesty is better than his attempt at being an International winger
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wanderingdragon Tue 07 May 2013, 9:56 am

I'm amazed it has been in the back of his mind all year - surely he must have realised months ago the only way he was going to Australia this year is on holiday? Or is he that far removed from reality?

wanderingdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 07 May 2013, 9:58 am

Can't really argue with that, it's just his reasoning on how he's gone from a lions front runner to having a horror show on the international stage and not being selected at all.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 07 May 2013, 10:06 am

Fair enough, I'm sure every player on each Six Nations squad had Lions selection on their mind. Don't single him out just because of that.

But playing like you want it is the hard thing. Any one can say they want it.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 07 May 2013, 10:11 am

He's singled himself out by continually bleating to the media how he is 'misunderstood' and 'wants to hurt people'
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 07 May 2013, 10:13 am

To a degree, I'm one of the people that actually thinks he is misunderstood. Don't get me wrong, there's no excuse for his poor play recently, but I think he does get a raw deal for things blown way out of proportion.

Lots of rugby players have said to the media that they want to 'hurt people' in the tackle. It's quite common.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 07 May 2013, 10:18 am

Cue another fluttering eyes at camera Martin Bashir style interview
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 07 May 2013, 10:20 am

Are you comparing Chris Ashton to Michael Jackson?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 07 May 2013, 10:23 am

Princess Diana actually Wink
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 07 May 2013, 10:25 am

I was going to say. A little harsh. Jackson is a far better defender.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 07 May 2013, 10:37 am

Ashton really does have a massive following of haters doesnt he....

An on form Ashton is a potent weapon. He just looks totally lacking in confidence in the England setup...hardly surprising giving the amount of attacking rugby we've played...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 07 May 2013, 10:38 am

He didnt deserve to go on tour really beacuse of his form but there may be more to it than that.

Wing is an area of riches for the Lions IMO. Zebo, Wade, Gilroy and Visser all can stake a claim at being unlucky to tour too. Where there close calls sometimes a coach will go with more likable characters. Who is more likable Tommy Bowe or Chris Ashton for example? When you have to make a close call would you prefer really hard working honest players like Cuthbert and North or a swan diving flute like Ashton?

Ashton regularly annoys people with his swan diving antics and in a selection game of small margins maybe it cost him a lions tour?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 07 May 2013, 10:40 am

drumroll
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wanderingdragon Tue 07 May 2013, 10:46 am

Where there close calls sometimes a coach will go with more likable characters. Who is more likable Tommy Bowe or Chris Ashton for example?

I'm not sure that Bowe v Ashton will have been a close call. No-one who saw Ashton play (especially in defense) in the 6 Nations would seriously have considered taking him. There is only room for one (if that) flaky defensive wing - and Cuthbert finished well in the 6N.

wanderingdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 07 May 2013, 11:00 am

wanderingdragon wrote: Where there close calls sometimes a coach will go with more likable characters. Who is more likable Tommy Bowe or Chris Ashton for example?

I'm not sure that Bowe v Ashton will have been a close call. No-one who saw Ashton play (especially in defense) in the 6 Nations would seriously have considered taking him. There is only room for one (if that) flaky defensive wing - and Cuthbert finished well in the 6N.

Probably wasnt alright.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue 07 May 2013, 2:43 pm

How can Chris Ashton who grew up in the Northern Union code, played 2 seasons for Wigan Warriors and test rugby league for England not be able to tackle????????

It can't be technique, he would have been found out in the 13 a side game, I doubt that an ex rugby league player could lack guts.

Could it be lack of desire? He was a star at a young age in league, came to union and immediately became a star again. Does he still want success enough?

On his current form he wont get into the England squad next season, they cant afford a passenger who only wants the glory of the trys but isn't prepared to do the graft in defence.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 07 May 2013, 2:51 pm

Seagultaf wrote:How can Chris Ashton who grew up in the Northern Union code, played 2 seasons for Wigan Warriors and test rugby league for England not be able to tackle????????

Shaun Edwards couldn't tackle either but don't tell anyone.......

Actually Ashton was known as a terrible defender in league too, its why he didn't cut the mustard.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 07 May 2013, 3:00 pm

munkian wrote:His attempt at honesty is better than his attempt at being an International winger

At least Ashton has a better strike rate and has scored more tries than both the giant wingers who happen to play for Wales (despite being born in England).

31 caps for North - 12 tries (1 vs the Barbarians).

18 caps for Cuthbert - 9 tries

30 caps for Ashton - 17 tries.

Interestingly no mention of North's dry patch. Last 14 games just 2 tries. Ashton has done better than that despite his own dry patch.

Ashton gets criticised but he outclassed Bowe in their recent encounter. You might say but Bowe was half fit - yet he is picked for the Lions.....

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 07 May 2013, 3:07 pm

Beshocked, i honestly believe its the England system thats the problem.

It just doesnt seem to suit his game (or any wingers to be fair)...well maybe if we get Morgan or Vunipola knocking big gaps in the oppo defence we may see Ashtons great lines of running again.

Unless England advance their tactics a little, im not sure the likes of Wade or May are likely to do much either....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 07 May 2013, 3:15 pm

Geordiefalcon I agree.

You talk about both Wade and May. Wade in particular is a very important piece in Wasps' attacking game. It's no coincidence that Wasps' wingers have scored the highest amount of tries in the AP. 13 each. 26 of Wasps 47 tries in the AP have come from these two.

Compare this to Quins top try scorer who is a scrum half (Care) with 8.

Wade has being doing great this season but would he have fared just as well in the current England side. Probably not as you say.

Which Vunipola are you referring to? I think both can punch holes.

Ashton has 6 tries in 12 matches in the AP. 4 out of 8 in the HC. 2 out of 8 international matches.

It could be worse.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 07 May 2013, 3:20 pm

Well i meant Billy (no.8) but your right Mako is another we would need crashing through...

I think this more than anything is what we really missed through the 6n. It meant our backs were static, standing flat.

The one time we really got big carriers nailing gaps was NZ (and regardless of the NZ were ill suggestions) and we showed we could play.

Get these guys moving committing 2/3 defenders then we'll see the best of Ashton, Wade May etc...but hopefully not Brown on the wing Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Tue 07 May 2013, 3:26 pm

beshocked wrote:
munkian wrote:His attempt at honesty is better than his attempt at being an International winger

At least Ashton has a better strike rate and has scored more tries than both the giant wingers who happen to play for Wales (despite being born in England).

Interestingly no mention of North's dry patch. Last 14 games just 2 tries. Ashton has done better than that despite his own dry patch.

Ashton gets criticised but he outclassed Bowe in their recent encounter. You might say but Bowe was half fit - yet he is picked for the Lions.....
Beshocked leaps to the defence of a Saracens player whilst finding a reason to slag off Welsh players........AGAIN.............. Broken Record
Surely the most bitter poster on these boards..............................

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 07 May 2013, 3:29 pm

I agree.

The balance was wrong with Morgan missing.

Ashton scored both his tries when England were on top in the pack.

Ashton is not a creator like Wade but if he runs really good lines as you say.

He's very good at being in the right position. A couple of times particularly in the Italy game if Brown or Goode had passed him the ball he could have scored.

His defence hasn't been up to scratch but this will take time to correct.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 07 May 2013, 3:30 pm

Well in all fairness tatterd...(and i have been critical of some Sarries players) but they're a bloody good side and everyone slates them. Why?
I defend the Falcons...and its true that Ashton seems so hated that people dont even recognise his game....just hate him....as opposed to the gods that are the celtic wingers.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 07 May 2013, 3:31 pm

Maybe we can offer him a song to sing.

Maybe I didn't rate you
Quite as important as I should have
Maybe I didn't want you
Quite as bad as I should have
Little sidesteps I should have made
But I was always overpaid

You were always on my mind

Tell me, tell me that the coach's interest hasn't died
Give me, give me one more chance
To get a British Irish Lions cap

Maybe I didn't impress you
in all those many games
And I guess I should never swan dive
I'm so sorry I did that
If you give me another chance
There won't be another prance

Tell me, tell me that the coach's interest hasn't died
Give me, give me one more chance
To get a British Irish Lions cap

Little sidesteps I should have made
But I was always overpaid
You are always on my mind
You are always on my mind
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 07 May 2013, 3:36 pm

tatterd wrote:
beshocked wrote:

Beshocked leaps to the defence of a Saracens player whilst finding a reason to slag off Welsh players........AGAIN.............. Broken Record
Surely the most bitter poster on these boards..............................

You have to ask yourself the question - why do I have to leap to the defence? It's because no one else will. Some players are immune from criticism - not from me though.

Ashton is far more perfect but he gets a lot more criticism than he deserves.

It's commendable for you to leap to the defence of the Welsh wingers but they don't need your support. They are much loved. Hailed as deities.

Putting into perspective maestegmafia praised the person who glassed Ashton.

I criticise players but I wouldn't want them to harmed like that.

North and Cuthbert are obviously good players but so is Ashton. Ashton had a poor 6 nations but it doesn't make him a bad player.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 07 May 2013, 3:42 pm

GunsGerms wrote:When you have to make a close call would you prefer really hard working honest players like Cuthbert and North or a swan diving flute like Ashton?

You mean a swanee whistle?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 07 May 2013, 3:50 pm

Nope, it makes him lazy.

I'm not sure what North and Cuthbert have to do with this but they aren't blaming poor form on 'higher things'
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 07 May 2013, 3:59 pm

beshocked wrote:

Ashton didnt out class Bowe. Bowe looked a class apart when he came on for a very short period after a long period of injury.

Ashton's try scoring record is a little bit deceptive. 9 of his tries came against Italy, Georgia and Romania. George North by contrast has scored all his tries v big teams bar 2 v Namibia. Same with Cuthbert who has scored 2 v Italy but all other tries have come against top teams.

Both Cuthbert and indeed Bowe are all big game players. Not sure Ashton is.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Tue 07 May 2013, 4:11 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
beshocked wrote:

Ashton didnt out class Bowe. Bowe looked a class apart when he came on for a very short period after a long period of injury.

Ashton's try scoring record is a little bit deceptive. 9 of his tries came against Italy, Georgia and Romania. George North by contrast has scored all his tries v big teams bar 2 v Namibia. Same with Cuthbert who has scored 2 v Italy but all other tries have come against top teams.

But then you have to ask yourself, if North and Cuthberu are these rugby gods and the best wingers every to grace the game. why cant the score againt Italy etc?

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 07 May 2013, 4:12 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
beshocked wrote:

You mean a class below everyone on the pitch I presume?

Ashton easily outpaced Bowe for a try. Bowe shouldn't have been picked as he obviously wasn't match fit. Is he match fit now?

Fiji and the Barbarians count as big teams do they? I didn't even know tries vs the Barbarians counted towards a players' tally.

Italy aren't a bad side. Beat France and Ireland this year.

Ashton has scored vs Australia x2, NZ and Wales x 2, Scotland x2 so he's not that bad is he?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 07 May 2013, 4:18 pm

I myself really rate Ashton when in full flight. He offers a lot to teams but its true to say he's out of form and his personality does tend to rub badly with people... unfair or not especially since none of us know him... but thats the impression you get.... and personality clashes are not deemed a good thing on a lions series (although Hartley was still chosen???)

Its probably fair to say England aren't set up well for him and don't play a game which suits him as a player... with Flood he seems happier as flood often breaks the line and then looks for support, something Farrell can only dream of.
What he needs to do is work on his game and get that try scoring back up to being a habit.

Tommy Bowe however is the sort of player you can always rely on. He has all round class both in attack and defence.
He would have made it in any country whether it was in the NH or the SH.

I'd have Maitland over him at the moment because he's playing well and like Bowe has an all round game, but I'd have Bowe on the bench at the very worst.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 07 May 2013, 4:39 pm

Here we have Ashton taking more steps to reduce his abnormally low popularity.Ths latest excuse for the on going 'dip in form' couldn't be more made up on the spot could it. One good performance against Italy in 2011 is never going to ensure your place on a Lions tour 2 years later and if he had believed that all this time, then he is even more bereft of common sense than those splashes suggest.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 07 May 2013, 4:45 pm

beshocked wrote:

Broken Record
Typical. A thread about an England winger and the English start slagging off Welsh wingers. Interesting that the only criticism offered (if you can even call it that in a 15 per side game of rugby) is no tries being scored. That's pretty unfair on North and Cuthbert given the fact how much better they are than most of their opponents in the 6 Nations and what they can offer a team. All Ashton can do is a score a try with nobody in front of him and do that pathetic football dive.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 07 May 2013, 4:49 pm

Knackeredknees wrote:
But then you have to ask yourself, if North and Cuthberu are these rugby gods and the best wingers every to grace the game. why cant the score againt Italy etc?

They can but I dont think they have played against Georgia and Romania etc.

Ashton's 4 tries in one game v Italy was great but Id rather a player who scores crucial tries in big games such as North's effort v France in the 6N or Cuthbert's 6N and grand slam clinching tries of the last couple of seasons.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 07 May 2013, 4:53 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Knackeredknees wrote:

Ashton's 4 tries in one game v Italy was great but Id rather a player who scores crucial tries in big games such as North's effort v France in the 6N or Cuthbert's 6N and grand slam clinching tries of the last couple of seasons.

Not to mention Cuthbert run Aus ragged last summer, on their own turf scored a few tries in a losing team...

Not sure how this got to Wales V England AGAIN, but it's getting rather pathetic.

I agree with the comment re Bowe though, Ashton had a decent game and rounded Bowe to score, very very easily!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 07 May 2013, 4:55 pm

beshocked wrote:
Ashton easily outpaced Bowe for a try. Bowe shouldn't have been picked as he obviously wasn't match fit. Is he match fit now?

Fiji and the Barbarians count as big teams do they? I didn't even know tries vs the Barbarians counted towards a players' tally.

Italy aren't a bad side. Beat France and Ireland this year.

Ashton has scored vs Australia x2, NZ and Wales x 2, Scotland x2 so he's not that bad is he?

It isnt surprising that Ashton outpaced Bowe. He is faster than him. We all know that. A lot of Ashton's tries come when he has lots of space to beat players for pace. He wont get that space in most test matches. Thats why he tends to score most of his tries v weaker opposition. In tight games Ashton isnt as useful a winger as much smarter all rounders like Bowe.

Italy were a bad side when Ashton scored 4 tries against them. Dont think he scored against them this year surprise surprise.

Ashton has a good strike rate but its not as good as it looks. Thats all I'm saying.

Bottom line is he didnt deserve to get picked. Not even having Andy Farrell, England backs coach on the selection panel could save him. He just isnt good enough.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Tue 07 May 2013, 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 07 May 2013, 4:56 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:

Not sure how this got to Wales V England AGAIN, but it's getting rather pathetic.

A bit of jealousy from some English posters I think.
king

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 07 May 2013, 5:00 pm

I spent 15 minutes writing Ashton a song and nobody mappreciates mu efforts.

I feel about as much loved as Ashton.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 07 May 2013, 5:09 pm

A welshman (munkian) slags off English winger and doesn't expect a response? Rolling Eyes

Don't be so naive the saint. I can see that you are new but come on.

Surely a job of the winger is to primarily be a finisher and score tries?

Comparisons must be made with Ashton's competitors.

Neither Cuthbert or North are very creative either.

It's not as if Cuthbert's two tries vs England were groundbreaking. One was him outpacing Brown (simply not quick enough to be on the wing) and the other was basically him flopping over the line.

Compare it to these tries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A76rLc2TMjI -outpacing Bowe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QObSnzYvomI - brushing away Visser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojgKOTOeXK8 - shows good strength to power over.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 07 May 2013, 5:13 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Knackeredknees wrote:

Not to mention Cuthbert run Aus ragged last summer, on their own turf scored a few tries in a losing team...

I agree with the comment re Bowe though, Ashton had a decent game and rounded Bowe to score, very very easily!

Perhaps maybe if you Welsh refrained for slagging off an English player for once your rugby deities would not be dragged into the discussion.

Also comparing Ashton to North and Cuthbert is relevant because they got picked for the Lions whereas he didn't.

Gun germs not saying Ashton deserves to be picked but sick of all the criticism for Ashton - most of it coming from the Welsh posters.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 07 May 2013, 5:14 pm

Wow, amazing how people can put their own agenda on comments

I do not particularly like Ashton due to swan dives etc, but his comments are not a winge, an excuse or generally blaming anyone else.

It is him being honest and saying it got to him and affected his head - he is taking responsibility for his own actions - fair play

I really wish certain posters would grow up and realise you can discuss a player without have to resort to arguing and starting the usual my dad is bigger than your dad rubbish

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 07 May 2013, 5:18 pm

beshocked wrote:

Perhaps maybe if you Welsh refrained for slagging off an English player for once your rugby deities would not be dragged into the discussion.

Also comparing Ashton to North and Cuthbert is relevant because they got picked for the Lions whereas he didn't.

Gun germs not saying Ashton deserves to be picked but sick of all the criticism for Ashton - most of it coming from the Welsh posters.

I think if Ashton focused on improving his all round game and went under the radar a little more he would be a much more valued commodity in rugby terms. I doubt he cares but he does tee himself up for criticism on occasions.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 07 May 2013, 5:40 pm

Your wasting your time trying to talk any sense where Ashton is concerned beshocked, many posters don't like him so by default they have decided he is no good. He had a poor tournament in the 6N and there is no doubt that the current England playing style doesn't suit him but when on form he is an asset to the teams he is playing for. Wish he would think more before some of his actions (personally don't like the splash) and comments, although this latest comment is I think more just being honest. He is supposed to be a pretty good trainer and popular in all squads he has been involved with but his form meant that he correctly wasn't selected for the Lions.

I actually think he has beefed up a little too much in the last couple of seasons and lost a little of his acceleration which doesn't help him when breaking through close to the ruck, one of his strengths. Seemed to start when he got banned for the hair pull incident, maybe he ended kicking his heels in the gym.

Agree with GunsGerms, he needs to keep head down for a while and concentrate on regaining his top form and improving his tackling technique. Not sure who advises him regarding media interviews but he would do as well to knock them on the head for now.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 07 May 2013, 5:45 pm

beshocked wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Knackeredknees wrote:

I suggest you re read my comments, I have defended the guy as a viable lions option on numerous occasions, as I have above, and even pointed out how he played v Bowe and rounded him easily when he came off the bench, so before you accuse the Welsh of slagging him off maybe you should make sure you understand what is being wrote about him in the first place.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Tue 07 May 2013, 5:48 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
beshocked wrote:

I think if Ashton focused on improving his all round game and went under the radar a little more he would be a much more valued commodity in rugby terms. I doubt he cares but he does tee himself up for criticism on occasions.

How should he go about 'going under the radar'? He's a professional sportsman who will undoubtedly have media commitments. If he's asked questions, he has to answer them.

I generally don't understand how someone that no one on here has ever met inspires such fervent dislike. And I extend that to pretty much all sports people. Ashton's biggest crime, as far as I can tell, is celebrating scoring tries in a way that some people don't like.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 07 May 2013, 5:54 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:

How should he go about 'going under the radar'? He's a professional sportsman who will undoubtedly have media commitments. If he's asked questions, he has to answer them.

I generally don't understand how someone that no one on here has ever met inspires such fervent dislike. And I extend that to pretty much all sports people. Ashton's biggest crime, as far as I can tell, is celebrating scoring tries in a way that some people don't like.

Not too concerned with how he interviews however it is how he conducts himself on the field that opens himself up for criticism and thus extra attention from the media. Some suggestions:

Stop swan diving for a start. He actively seeks attention by doing this. It would help his game a lot to cut this out. He also tends to get involved in a lot of unnecessary niggle on the field, partially as a result of the swanning and probably as a result of inexperience too. His diciplinary record is below average because of it. He is a decent player but needs to focus on improving and cutting out the nonsense.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 07 May 2013, 5:59 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:

Not too concerned with how he interviews however it is how he conducts himself on the field that opens himself up for criticism and thus extra attention from the media. Some suggestions:

Stop swan diving for a start. He actively seeks attention by doing this. It would help his game a lot to cut this out. He also tends to get involved in a lot of unnecessary niggle on the field. His diciplinary record is below average because of it. He is a decent player but needs to focus on improving and cutting out the nonsense.

I have to say I don't dislike the swan as much as most on here, it adds an element to his performance.

I think his biggest problem was his entrance to the international stage, he exploded on the stage and the media made him a poster boy, he hasn't really gotten over that entrance and has failed to live up to his billing, when he was having nightmare after nightmare this year he shouldve been dropped for better wingers (but the same could be said of Brown) Ashton was made undroppable, and he and England suffered for it.

It's hard to criticise his club form though, that is still up there and Sarries will be pretty happy.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next