The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born

+17
mystiroakey
TRUSSMAN66
Pal Joey
Dolphin Ziggler
Kenny
Galted
JuliusHMarx
Bull
Crimey
Hulking_up
ChequeredJersey
Stella
The Womble
MIG
88Chris05
Rowley
Adam D
21 posters

Go down

Pick your favourite 2 films

Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_lcap13%Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 11 ]
Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_lcap15%Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 13 ]
Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_lcap7%Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 6 ]
Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_lcap2%Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_lcap9%Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 8 ]
Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_lcap9%Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 8 ]
Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_lcap6%Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 5 ]
Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_lcap24%Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 21 ]
Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_lcap2%Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_lcap5%Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_lcap8%Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 87

Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Empty Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born

Post by Adam D Fri May 03, 2013 2:22 pm

6 rounds down and the Brahma Bull is way out in front - can any one catch him?

This week the nominees were asked to pick their favourite film from the year they were born.

here are the nominations - please vote for your favourite two films on the list.

Taxi Driver
Happy Gilmore
Dirty Harry
Even Dwarfs Started Small
Enter the Dragon
Blade Runner
The Naked Gun
First Blood
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Superman 2
Dead Poets Society

Even Dwarfs Started Small (1970) - One of Werner Herzog's earlier works, might not be top of many people's favourite lists but would certainly be top of their most memorable due to being composed entirely of unsettling if incomprehensible scenes, notorious for the crucified monkey which was probably one of the saner moments

First Blood - John Rambo comes into our life in this 1982 action thriller. A fantastic portrayal of a mans struggle with the after effects of the Vietnam War. A Great cat and mouse chase and a great ending. Everyone after seeing this wanted to wear the trademark red bandana round your head and shoot everyone. Interesting fact is only one person died in the film!

Dead Poets Society

Dirty Harry - The movie that spawned the new anti-hero cop movies that were to follow. Make no mistake this film was a trend setter in every way and Callaghan was to become a larger than life character who's lines were borrowed by politicians in bids to get re-elected.

Happy Gilmore(1996) -remember when Sandler used to be funny? well this should bring back some memories

Enter the Dragon - there might have been better films in 1973 (not might but certainly better), however, none are as iconic as Bruce Lees finest cinematic moment. Which kid hasnt played at being Bruce in the playground? And its all down to this film.

Superman 2 - The sequel to the blockbuster 1978 movie Superman. The action blockbuster see's the Man of Steel take on 3 Kryptonian villains released from The Phantom Zone plus he must decide whether he wants to remain as the saviour of mankind or give it all up for the love of his life Lois Lane. It features an epic battle scene on the streets of Metropolis and is one of the best sequels ever. Now everybody, KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

The Naked Gun - My favourite film franchise of all time. Spoof comedy had it's renaissance in the 80s and this was probably the best of the lot in my eyes.

Raiders of the Lost Ark
The greatest adventure of all time - archeologist Indiana Jones is hired by the US government to find the Ark of the Covenant before the Nazis. Harrison Ford is epic as Indy, the Nazis as evil as expected - it's a rip-roaring rollercoaster that never lets up. The best film in 1981 by a country mile!

Next weeks category is Science Fiction - any film with a science fiction element to it. I will be the judge if your film qualifies as science fiction!

Last edited by Adam D on Tue May 07, 2013 5:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Empty Re: Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born

Post by Guest Fri May 03, 2013 2:25 pm

I voted for Raiders of the Lost Ark and Even Dwarfs Started Small - never even heard of it, but I have a dwarf fetish so, erm, yeah.

Back to top Go down

Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born Empty Re: Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born

Post by Rowley Fri May 03, 2013 2:26 pm

Taxi Driver and Enter the Dragon for me. Massive Scorsese fan so that one was a no brainer and Enter the Dragon is enduringly watchable.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri May 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Taxi Driver and The Nake Gun, for me. Taxi Driver speaks for itself and it's De Niro's best performance, for me. And as I adore the first Naked Gun film and it has the added bonus of being released the year I was born, it was always going to get my vote.

The scene where Drebin is walking the ledge of the sky scraper and hanging on to those stone figures.....Jesus....
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Fri May 03, 2013 3:10 pm

Taxi Driver and Raiders of the Lost Ark for me. Easiest two votes so far in this comp.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri May 03, 2013 3:12 pm

Surely Happy Gilmore cant win again?

I went for the two most iconic films on the list.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Fri May 03, 2013 3:37 pm

Raiders and Superman 2 for me
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri May 03, 2013 3:55 pm

First Blood and Raiders Of The lost Arc.

Dirty Harry was a close third.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri May 03, 2013 4:59 pm

One of the contestants is 17?!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Fri May 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Voted for Raiders of the Lost Ark and First Blood.

From the year i was born it's hard to choose between WarGames, Trading Places and Risky Business.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri May 03, 2013 5:03 pm

Voted for DPS and Blade Runner. 3rd would have been Raiders
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri May 03, 2013 5:09 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:One of the contestants is 17?!
#

That would be the current leader.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Fri May 03, 2013 5:15 pm

Laugh hey i do media i know my films

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri May 03, 2013 5:24 pm

How do you figure out who's winning?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri May 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Adam said so on the last thread.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 03, 2013 5:29 pm

Either the person that was born in the year Superman 2 was made doesn't have google, or they have some weird crush on him. Either way, what a terrible film Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri May 03, 2013 5:31 pm

1980 looks like a good year for films. Would have gone for The Empire Strikes Back.

From my year of birth - Deliverance.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri May 03, 2013 5:53 pm

I think I need to have an aggressive chat with my parents about the year I was born - pretty much a choice between Even Dwarfs Started Small & Patton. If only I was born a couple of weeks later: Clockwork Orange, Dirty Harry, French Connection, Shaft, McCabe & Mrs Miller &, of course, Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song. Went for Taxi Driver as my 2nd choice.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 03, 2013 6:07 pm

I'm amazed at how honest we all were, no-one lied and went for the best film the could clap

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri May 03, 2013 6:23 pm

Galted wrote:I think I need to have an aggressive chat with my parents about the year I was born - pretty much a choice between Even Dwarfs Started Small & Patton. If only I was born a couple of weeks later: Clockwork Orange, Dirty Harry, French Connection, Shaft, McCabe & Mrs Miller &, of course, Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song. Went for Taxi Driver as my 2nd choice.

Same year as me ............................................but you could also of had The Railway Children Very Happy
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri May 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Am I the only one who would have nominated The Birth of a Nation (D W Griffith)?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sat May 04, 2013 1:17 am

Kenny wrote:
Galted wrote:I think I need to have an aggressive chat with my parents about the year I was born - pretty much a choice between Even Dwarfs Started Small & Patton. If only I was born a couple of weeks later: Clockwork Orange, Dirty Harry, French Connection, Shaft, McCabe & Mrs Miller &, of course, Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song. Went for Taxi Driver as my 2nd choice.

Same year as me ............................................but you could also of had The Railway Children Very Happy

Hmmm, my research wasn't quite as extensive as I thought.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat May 04, 2013 1:51 am

Dirty Harry and Taxi Driver. Just above Enter the Dragon and First Blood.

Dirty Harry is iconic and probably the man every other cool cop film is trying to recreate.

I'm a little bit depressed Happy Gilmore is so high in the voting. I cant comment on Indiana Jones, I got bored watching the first and didnt really pay attention. I may just play Drake Uncharted which is apparently a complete rip of the whole story.

Could be a good idea to do a video games one, a sitcom one and other tv genres with this system.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat May 04, 2013 11:28 am

Where's Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! or The Sound of bloody Music?

No Thunderball either... ppffft!!

Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 7:22 pm

It's a sad day for movies when happy Gilmore is doing so well against some of these movies , it's not even the funniest or best comedy on the list, let alone anywhere near the best film

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat May 04, 2013 7:33 pm

yeah, Adam Sandler really annoys me. Struggle to watch the guy.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat May 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Blade runner has five votes............

Amazing film in so far as I think it's complete garbage and yet people love it....

Very rare you see a film where people are so opposite in thought..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun May 05, 2013 1:45 pm

agreed trussman.

I cant stand it- it also reminds me of the matrix which i am not a fan off yet everyone else seems to be.

I picked taxi driver and dead poets society

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sun May 05, 2013 3:14 pm

star wars - 1977. come on man!
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun May 05, 2013 6:42 pm

Star wars is the one for me, don't like it at all. I watched it in 1999 I think, might be the reason why.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue May 07, 2013 1:32 pm

Need nominations for SciFi round from:

Hero, Sodhat, Trussman and chequered please

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue May 07, 2013 1:35 pm

Sci-Fi next?

Trussman for Bladerunner? Smile
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue May 07, 2013 5:20 pm

Results from this week:

Adam D 5
Nay Bother 3
Sodhat 5
Hornblower
MtotheC
Hero 6
Bull 8
Trussman 2
Galted
Azzy Mahmood 10
Crazygangwomble
treble winners
chequered Jersey

Overall standings as follows:

Bull 49
nay bother 34
Azzy 29
Hero 26
Adam D 26
Hornblower 24
Sodhat 21
Galted 20
Trussman 13
Chequered 13
Crazygangwomble 13

Will anyone catch the Bull?

3 more rounds to go - next list going up soon when Hero sends his nomination in!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue May 07, 2013 5:24 pm

Next round after science fiction is for any film with a colour in the title

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue May 07, 2013 5:28 pm

I'm not doing very well.....Taste is a hard thing to come by in Briitain!! Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue May 07, 2013 5:31 pm

Which was your film Truss?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 07, 2013 5:31 pm

It is a travesty that Happy Gilmore has garnered Bull 18 points picard

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue May 07, 2013 5:31 pm

I voted for you last round!

I so wish I would have picked Flash Gordon for this next round but instead went with what I thought was a great film and likely to win.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue May 07, 2013 5:36 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm not doing very well.....Taste is a hard thing to come by in Briitain!! Wink

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm dismayed that Even Dwarfs Started Small garnered a total of 2 votes, half of which were my own. Thanks to Azzy Mahmood for the other, even if he hadn't seen it. clap

As for the rest of you... Headscratch

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 07, 2013 5:39 pm

My dwarf fetish tops any instructions from brain or heart. My idea for winning The Apprentice is to start a company that makes dwarf-size stuff - clothing lines, cutlery, furniture, sporting equipment, everything. Sugar would go wild at the prospect of an untapped market of 80,000 people in the UK, plus millions worldwide!

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue May 07, 2013 5:43 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:My dwarf fetish tops any instructions from brain or heart. My idea for winning The Apprentice is to start a company that makes dwarf-size stuff - clothing lines, cutlery, furniture, sporting equipment, everything. Sugar would go wild at the prospect of an untapped market of 80,000 people in the UK, plus millions worldwide!

Did you watch the episode of Idiot Abroad when Pilkington visits the Chinese dwarf village & p1sses off Warwick Davis? Quality.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 07, 2013 5:45 pm

Sadly yes. Warwick is a true legend, and has hands the size of my 4 year old.

But he took it very well, as evidenced by his turn on the Jonathan Ross show last week.

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Tue May 07, 2013 6:08 pm

Dropping like a lead balloon! Playing like a promoted championship side in their first season in the Prem. Start off well then fade in the second half of the season.

I thought First blood (1982) would have got me a few points this round especially looking at the list. Crying or Very sad
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue May 07, 2013 6:44 pm

hornbloweroafc wrote:Dropping like a lead balloon! Playing like a promoted championship side in their first season in the Prem. Start off well then fade in the second half of the season.

I thought First blood (1982) would have got me a few points this round especially looking at the list. Crying or Very sad

Not faring too well either, playing like a club that started ok after a few good off-season signings, then started dropping points as winter approached, had a mini-recovery after getting a new manager but now in free-fall due to player unrest.

Stand By Me was my banker but didn't do too well.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 07, 2013 6:47 pm

I'm playing like Tottenham, doing well in the easy rounds but when it comes to a round I'm not sure about, I fail miserably. I just got a hat-trick from my new striker Indiana Jones though Movie Cup round 7 - movies from the year you were born 3559488474

Next round I'm doing badly in, despite it being the best film of the lot. The round after I'm a lot more confident.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue May 07, 2013 7:32 pm

Should have lied about my age and put down CASABLANCA...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Doubt you'd have gotten any votes. That film is dull as dishwater. Not to mention hardly any of these whippersnappers would have seen it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 pm

At least I wouldn't have had the embarrassing realisation that I'm the oldest b'stard in the Movie Cup.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down