The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Richie gray signs for castres

+11
funnyExiledScot
RDW
R!skysports
Imperialbigdave
Notch
bluestonevedder
Geordie
flyhalffactory
George Carlin
Standulstermen
alive555
15 posters

Go down

Richie gray signs for castres Empty Richie gray signs for castres

Post by alive555 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:12

He's off after 1 year at sale.

A better move I guess but surprised that one of the top teams in France didn't come in.

Castres are mid table usually?

alive555

Back to top Go down

Richie gray signs for castres Empty Re: Richie gray signs for castres

Post by Standulstermen Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:31

Castre are top 4 at present I believe.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 29 Apr 2013, 11:00

Yes, one of the worst kept secrets in rugby is now out.

Castres are currently 4th in the league and have had a reasonable season - one of the few teams to have toppled Toulon. They need to beef up their pack a little, though - I see that they've lost Joe Tekori to Toulouse this month.

Castres also need to ship on another player called Maxwell Evans and get a decent Squashed Goblin replacement. Whistle
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 29 Apr 2013, 11:10

Not sure what to say about this, was hoping the rumour was unfounded. I don't think its the right move for Richie at this point. He should have been looking at Glasgow or a top three english or french side.... not sure Castre fits into that profile.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 29 Apr 2013, 11:12

I see Sale are replacing him with that big russian from London Welsh. Might be a decent swap for Sale.
And they've signed two others.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 29 Apr 2013, 11:25

To be honest, I think his last 2 signings have been pretty odd. Sale was a strange one, and now Castres? I agree with flyhalffactory in the sort of teams he should have been targetting.

Is he in danger of becoming a journey man? Albeit, one that is excellent for his country?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 29 Apr 2013, 11:46

Danger of not developing as he should down to a dodgy agent. He could play for a top European team.

Castres are a good team though, they've had a very good season, but like any mid-table French side that comes good the vultures are circling over some of their better players. Also, their coaches are leaving at the end of the season. Besides Tekori, I've also heard Toulouse are after Rory Kockott. He'll be expected to fill the void left by Tekori in terms of being their go to ball carrier and enforcer in the tight exchanges then.

This is definitely a step up from Sale, the Top14 is a tougher competition and Castres are a better side. But with some of the high-profile exits in terms of coaches and players, he could be making the same mistake as last time and joining a side that has peaked the year before he arrives.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 29 Apr 2013, 11:58

Castres are a bit misleading, they come across as mid tablers, but they are consistently in the play offs at the end of the season. I think a lot of peoples perception of them comes from the fact that they treat the Heineken cup as no more than an annoyance that distracts them from the top 14.

I would be confident that hes not going to end up in another relegation battle like at sale, even if hes unlikely to win the Buccleur Brennus
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 29 Apr 2013, 12:08

Imperialbigdave wrote:I would be confident that hes not going to end up in another relegation battle like at sale, even if hes unlikely to win the Buccleur Brennus

Oh no. It's a definite step up in quality from Sale. Castres are formidable at home.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 29 Apr 2013, 12:29

I think it is a good move

Sale was a disaster for him

Castres will have him developing the grunt he needs, will be combative and competitive and will be there or there abouts in terms of the league. Also some of the top French teams seem a little bit dis-jointed so Castres could be a good home for him

Good move

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 29 Apr 2013, 13:28

I'm much happier with him at Castres - of course you'd rather a a bigger French team but they are there or there abouts.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 29 Apr 2013, 13:31

It's an improvement for Gray, but he should have stayed at Glasgow. The Sale move was a really poor piece of advice.

Hopefully Castres can be a better fit, although I'd have far rather seen him go to Sarries or Leicester. They'd have better ironed out some of the technical aspects of him game, although frankly put neither need him.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 29 Apr 2013, 13:48

Neither Sarries or Tigers would touch him after this season. He's been an awful signing for Sale and the worst value for money signing in the AP. Sale will be glad to offload him from the wage budget.

A move to the Top 14 will be good for him. The player rotation will allow him to build to the required physicality slowly. Currently he is nowhere near the standard of an international enforcer and doesn't call the lineout.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 29 Apr 2013, 13:56

His lineout skills have probably been his main improvement this season, certainly in a Scotland jersey, but this has not been a good year for him at all.

He needed to be a luxury in a big and meaty well established pack, in the sort of environment where his mobility and ball carrying can be accommodated. Instead he was employed as the enforcer in a frankly flimsy pack, and more often than not his only role was to run around and tackle, with zero front foot ball to work with. He has to take the blame for his share of Sale's failure this season. Terrible terrible decision to move there, as pretty much all of us Scots said at the time. He should have stayed with Glasgow - their game plan would have suited him.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 29 Apr 2013, 14:05

Agree with FES - living proof that you can hire good players but if you don't use them well and run a game plan that takes into account their strengths then you can't expect it to work.

French club rugby is slow and heavy and he will have to improve his physicality first and foremost. He might lose a little dynamism but will hopefully pick up some of the solidity that international play requires.

Castres will be fine to help him learn his craft. He'll grow as a person in France too - let's remember that he's just a young man and living away from the UK for the first time.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 29 Apr 2013, 14:09

George Carlin wrote:He'll grow as a person in France too - let's remember that he's just a young man and living away from the UK for the first time.

Ah yes, just like Mark Bennett. Left for France a toddler, returned a boy.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 14:09

I think he needed to go south to toughen up a bit. Its been too easy for him in Scotland. I thought Sale a good move as he could get back to Glasgow quickly and easily but it turned out to be poor. Hopefull Castre will be a good move for him.

too many scots become comfortable as big fish in a small pond

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 29 Apr 2013, 14:12

TJ wrote:too many scots become comfortable as big fish in a small pond

On this point I think it'll be interesting to see how Ross Ford gets on at Sarries (if the rumours are true). So far I don't feel he's met his potential as a player, and it'll be great to see how he copes in that environment. Sarries have certainly improved Kelly Brown considerably.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 14:19

Ross Ford was one I was thinking of. A couple of years ago might have been better for him. Hopefully it will be the making of him

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 29 Apr 2013, 14:29

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:He'll grow as a person in France too - let's remember that he's just a young man and living away from the UK for the first time.

Ah yes, just like Mark Bennett. Left for France a toddler, returned a boy.....
Laugh That's Glasgow's Young Foetus Player of the Season you're talking about...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 29 Apr 2013, 15:10

How old is Ross Ford?
I didnt know he was going to Sarries, i think that may signal the end of Jaime George at Sarries then.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 16:39

GeordieFalcon wrote:How old is Ross Ford?
29 I think

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 29 Apr 2013, 17:23

Would be an odd move for Sarries with Brits signed on and two former England age grade hookers on the books. Jamie George is a substantial unit and has some mobility about him. He should be starting in the AP not third choice. I agree with GF I think he'll be off, Bath were interested previously.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 29 Apr 2013, 17:29

Good luck to him, I did not understand him going to Sale in the first place, they are always likely to be fighting relegation. Glasgow have done very well without Gray so he has made a place available for another Scottish forward.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 29 Apr 2013, 22:09

Sale finished 6th last season, they qualified for the HEC (a serious challenge outside of the RABO). They were on the up with a young squad and were making ambitious signings. They weren't definite relegation contenders at all. London Welsh and Worcester were the massive favourites for the drop with expectations of Wasps and LI low as well. Sale was in theory a good move, the coaching change was the major blow to the club this season if Diamond had remained in charge they would have been much higher up the league.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 30 Apr 2013, 09:52

FES funnily enough Saracens did actually put in a offer for Gray before he decided to play for Sale! I certainly wanted him to come to play for us.

Where did you hear that Ross Ford is rumoured to going to Sarries?

I haven't heard this. I want Jamie George to get more gametime.

I agree Sam. That's what worries me.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down