The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Richie Gray without Hamilton

+2
ChequeredJersey
mattraven
6 posters

Go down

Richie Gray without Hamilton Empty Richie Gray without Hamilton

Post by mattraven Sat 19 May 2012, 1:08 pm

As Hamilton is banned for scotland's upcoming tour, I am really looking forward to seeing Richie Gray play without him.

In my mind Gray is not yet the finished article. Yes he has a superb carrying game, and could be the best lock in the world in a few years. on the whole he is a remarkable player considering his age, but I do feel that he needs to add to his tight work to become the very best in the world. Hamilton fufills this role of a tight enforcer really well now he has upped his workrate, and he and Gray make a very good combination in that they have different strengths in their game.

If gray is partnered with Kellock, its a really good chance for his to try and take over some of the heavy lifting duties from Hamilton and develop his game even more. It will be interesting to see if Gray's carying game if effected by Hamilton not being there.

So for scots (and probably everyone else) who will be more knowledgable abut this than me, do you agree with assessment of Gray? and is Kellock likely to be his partner?

mattraven

Back to top Go down

Richie Gray without Hamilton Empty Re: Richie Gray without Hamilton

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 19 May 2012, 1:17 pm

I agree that Scotland's strength in the 2nd row is based on Hamilton's partnership with Gray, not Gray exclusively. I hope he takes this opportunity to press on. I'd like to add that I feel that Hamilton is a rather underrated player
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Sat 19 May 2012, 1:40 pm

For it to work, he and Kellock really need to hit rucks hard and that is something I dont see too much when i watch Glasgow. I hope Rob Harley is at blindside to take some of that work.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Sat 19 May 2012, 3:23 pm

Have to agree that needs to display a better work rate in and around the contact if Gray is to be considered one of the best locks in world rugby.

Because of his carrying in the loose a lot of commentators think he is a shoe in for the next lions team. I remain to be convinced. When he needs to be getting his back down to stop a rolling maul, too often you see him in a futile attempt to get his long arms over the top to steal the ball. How often does it work? not very. He was at it last week against Lenister.

The dfference when Ryder comes on is marked. HIs physicality in the tackle and when carrying is on a different level to Gray's. Yes he isnt carrying out between the centres but he is carrying where a lock should be carrying. Giving his 10 a go to ball carrier to generate the quick ball he needs before then releasing the backs in the next phase.
Gray also cant jump at 5, having never jumped at school because of his huge size he hasnt developed the ability to be effective in the middle of the line.

So even thought Ryder is 4 inches shorter than Gray he is much more effective in Kellock's shirt than Gray at the moment.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Tom gets a decent game time on this tour, as i think he would be a great asset to our front five next season.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 19 May 2012, 4:42 pm

For me it's a shame that MacKenzie or Gilchrist aren't about, I'd like to see them play with Gray, but I think Ryder for this tour is a good shout.

I'm not a big Kellock fan at the moment, don't see enough of him doing anything. He was decent against Leinster, but generally this season I think he's been nothing more than average. Ryder deserves a start.

Gray has a bit to work on, but he's pretty damn good. He's the least of our worries at the moment. Let's not spend too long talking about number 8, or our reserve hookers....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by mattraven Sat 19 May 2012, 5:12 pm

i completely agree about him not being a complete shoe in for the lions.

most seem to have him partnered with o'connell

personally i think both gray and POC are better when paired with an enforcer, so my eye is on lawes, ian evans, bradley davies and hamilton.

chances are that it will be o'connell and gray, and that could work if the rest of the pack get through a serious amount of grunt work and tight carrying, but i dont think its already decided by a long shot.

not long ago it was lawes who was receiving all of gray's hype, and we could see him come back strong. i have always been a fan of davies as well, he really puts himself about at the breakdown and with ball in hand, although he hasnt been on form this season

mattraven

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 20 May 2012, 7:31 am

Let's not get started about the Ruck Inspector - I think that it's pretty much agreed between most of the Scottish posters here that for a guy of his size, he doesn't put himself about enough. His only merit is as captain (apparently) and line out lighthouse.

If we have Blair and Laidlaw to be calm heads (and whatever Ross Ford brings as captain - not sure that was an unqualified success at the 6N), then we don't need Kellock - I would much rather have Ryder.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 20 May 2012, 11:59 am

As regards the Lions, there are very few shoe-ins, and whilst I think at the moment Gray is a front runner, he is not a shoe-in.

The Lions will include no more than 5 locks, and at the moment the following are all strong candidates:

Alan Wyn Jones, Bradley Davies, Luke Charteris, Ian Evans, POC, Gray, Hamilton, Parling, Lawes, Palmer and Attwood.

It will come down to who has a strong season next year. Gray needs to continue to improve, and show what he can do in the Guiness Premiership. Hopefully the Sale move will work well for him.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down