The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martinez Vs Murray (SPoiler)

+10
Lumbering_Jack
TRUSSMAN66
azania
manos de piedra
kingraf
Strongback
davidemore
hampo17
Duty281
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
14 posters

Go down

Martinez Vs Murray (SPoiler) Empty Martinez Vs Murray (SPoiler)

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:36 am

Murray got robbed........

No way 115-112, complete joke. Thought Murray made Martinez look slow, uncordinated, tired and wreckless.

Fair play, I thought it would have been a masteclass from Sergio, but he was made to look very very ordinary. He wants that fight with Floyd..................would be a massacre. Unless he got one of his Murray decisions
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Martinez Vs Murray (SPoiler) Empty Re: Martinez Vs Murray (SPoiler)

Post by Duty281 Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:54 am

It's one of them, Murray would have won it in a neutral country, or on his home turf. I certainly had him winning it.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:02 am

Just said in the other thread that the ref was poor, missed an obvious knockdown. Fell for all of the tricks Martinez used, the "headbutt" which was a right hook followed by the shoulder making minimal contact, the low blow which wasn't really low, the punches round the back of the head happened because of how Martinez was riding the punches.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:03 am

After the knockdown Martine looked clueless. Think he was expecting a finish like Barker or Macklin. Butr Murray held tight and really impressed me. I think he takes Barker and Macklin. He showed his defence is top notch and also sent Martine too the deck twice. No mug does that.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:08 am

And don't get me wrong, I still think Matinez is a great fighter, but he underestimated Murray big time. He must have picked him to impress the 40000 in the stadium. But he made a massive mistake, if he wanted a soft fight. For a homecoming he should have picked a lesser fighter who has been beat and has obviously flaws. Ok Murray has flaws, but nobody has exposed them yet. Even on of the top P4P fighters got shown up by him.

Fair play, he'll make a fortune after this fight. Everyone knows him now after this
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:12 am

That's really pi**ed me off, home cooking, completely. How can you miss a knockdown?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:27 am

Didn't matter if it was Chavez, GGG, Quillan etc. Murray will always need a ko. He's a great fighter but due to his lack of marketability he will always get the raw deal. Disgusted.

He did amazing. I hope he get Chavez Jr like he was supposed to. He would win that fight if he stuck to that guard and moved and hit. Chavez would lumber about like always.

Big respect Martin, especially fighting in a mental 40000 sold out studium in Martinez's back yard. That not only showed balls, but showed fantastic mentallity to perform the way he did
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:32 am

Martinez looks like time has caught up with him.

Why did Murray go into his shell in the last two rounds?

Murray didn't throw enough punches. Only Canelo gets away with quality over quantity.

A Brit fighting in Argentina got a better reception than if the tables were turned. Still fighting in the other guys back yard the decision has to be taken out of the judges hands or be a no brainer. Murray maybe should have got the nod but will be kicking himself he didn't take full advantage of the fact Sergio's dynamo is starting to fade.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:44 am

Anyone got a link?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:19 am

Im sorry but every one knows that you dont win an away fight like that. So to now claim a robbery is pretty rich, maybe it wasnt 8(-1), but to win away you have to take it, that didnt happen. It wasnt a gift/robbbery, but I guess Murray can feel aggrieved.

But he did show why he was previosly unbeaten, to push the undisputed king of your weight is a very impressive feat. He is imo one of the top 3 middleweights, and possibly #1 pound for pound Brit. (No other brit has pushed their weight class' undisputed king so close, away from home)
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:46 am

I thought Murray won the fight, but that Martinez was poor. Fighting hand down and sticking your chin out is asking for trouble. I thought Murray landed the more telling punches while Martinez threw alot of pitter patter one-twos which Murray caught on his gaurd. I also thought he was incorrectly denied a knockdown. The shot that knocked Martinez over wasnt a big one and he was partly off balance but it was still a punch and not a slip.

Perhaps there is a case that Martinez way of fighting doesnt age well as it relies on reflexes but the overwhelming feeling Ive had from him in the last number of years is that hes been in a pretty shallow division and that a really top fighter would make him pay for his high risk style.

Murray probably lays down a claim now to be one of the top middles in the division with that but I still think hes just a good solid fighter and thought Sturm was unfortunate not to beat him (who was not much more than a good solid fighter himself at the time). So unless GGG can show himself to be worthy of all the praise in the net 12 months I think its a division that has lots of good competitive fights on offer but not particularly high on top class quality.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:55 am

Well, his hand is broken again, and the knee needs more surgery, so I propose he has gotten old, rather than be found out, or fought in an light division. Williams was the real deal, as was Pavlik, Chavez wasnt particularly skilled, but he was big and had the Chavez chin and a good left hook. Great fighters have been hewn from less.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:10 am

Martinez nearly pulled out three weeks ago due to the knee, I suppose (tax-free?) $5 million was too much to turn down... Good fight though great advertisement for boxing
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:15 am

His punch resistance is gone also. Now a chinny old man.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:26 am

He is quite literally ageing before us. Sad really, he was my favourite boxer for about five years, but he doesnt need to fight anymore, he has made upwards of $10 million this decade, not including endorsements, is the most loved Argentine in his home, and seems to be a genuinely nice guy. Its a pity he never fought anyone truly great, but to me he is an ATG, not first tier, mind you, but one all the same
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:04 am

I always said he was over rated. Made his name via a left hook on PWilliams.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:08 am

The guy looks ordinary in one fight....... and he's overrated???

He's a bit of a typical awkward southpaw... but Williams coupled with Barker and Macklin are solid wins and performances..

He has much to be proud of..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:13 am

I said that way before this fight. When people were putting him as P4P 3 I had him lower than that. He was un/fortunate to be the man in the top division. He should have come down to LMW to test himself earlier.

Those were good wins, but not the type of win to elevate someone to top 3 status.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:14 am

You also said Audley would beat Wilder.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:16 am

I know. Look at the predictions I made. I went for LKO and put a Laugh next to it. But never mind eh.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:34 am

No one wanted him at LMW. He offered Mayweather, Pacquiao, and Cotto. Dont tell me nonsense about him not being marketable as their reasining. Mayweather vs the 2010 fighter of the year? Pacquaio got good numbers off Bradley and Cotto took a fight vs Trout!
Martinez suffered because he went about boxing like a nice guy, beat who he had to and asked for a step up. Chisorsa walks around like a madman and has fought a Klitschko after coming off a loss. That is whats wrong with boxing today!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:37 am

kingraf wrote:No one wanted him at LMW. He offered Mayweather, Pacquiao, and Cotto. Dont tell me nonsense about him not being marketable as their reasining. Mayweather vs the 2010 fighter of the year? Pacquaio got good numbers off Bradley and Cotto took a fight vs Trout!
Martinez suffered because he went about boxing like a nice guy, beat who he had to and asked for a step up. Chisorsa walks around like a madman and has fought a Klitschko after coming off a loss. That is whats wrong with boxing today!

He reminds me of McCallum in his pomp in that no-one wants him because he is damn good but brngs little to the table.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:55 am

I called it for Murray. Got robbed.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:04 am

A "robbery" is not a decision you disagree with Davide, a robbery is when a fighter clearly, and obviously takes a fight by worldwide acclaim, and yet loses/draws, like Lewis vs Holyfield. The majority of commentators and pro boxers on twitter thought Martinez did enough, just about. As did Murray. Come off it.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:09 am

Kingraf you're going to get it if you think you can speak to me like that! It was a clear victory for Martin. MARTIN!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:09 am

You two bob numpty heart

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:27 am

It is odd how most on here, and some of the boxing websites I've checked out today, thought the decision should have gone the other way but Murray himself thought he lost and he, of all people, should know.

Back to top Go down

Post by DynamiteChris Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:32 am

Legit knockdown defo, what made it worse was at the end they said the WBC had reviewed the footage & upheld the ref's decision, Roy Jones said "I got no comment"

Ref was awful also, warned Murray for hitting him for Christ's sake, was probably worse reffing than in the Khan fight, that was awful too.

If only Murray were a little more active in the early rounds he just might've forced the stoppage coz Martinez looked well worn by the end, still a decent showing from Murray though.

I had it 6 rounds each but with the knockdown puts Murray just ahead, not a blatant robbery as it was close, & like Murray himself said you gotta do more to win in someone'e backyard. He did his prospects no harm at all & I expect him to win a title soon enough.

DynamiteChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:51 am

Love Sergio as a fighter but I have to say it looked like age and injuries caught up with him last night. He looked a step slower to me and wasn't able to avoid Murray's punches like he would have previously. A fighter like Martinez relies heavily on speed and reflexes, so he will really struggle once they start to fade, which it looks like they did. Thought Sergio won the 11th and 12th. 1 point fight for me however you score it. GGG would KO him IMO

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:56 am

Im a two-bit what? Is that supposed to be insulting? Well, the jokes on you because the ignorant cant feel insulted by what they cant comprehend Yahoo
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:56 am

martinez has let people like murray, barker and macklin into a fight, and only real shows his class against top opposition, like his demo of chavez.

not seen the fight but most reports don't claim a robbery, apart from a missed knock down.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:34 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:martinez has let people like murray, barker and macklin into a fight, and only real shows his class against top opposition, like his demo of chavez.

not seen the fight but most reports don't claim a robbery, apart from a missed knock down.

I am a huge fan of Martinez, but he looked like he has lost a step or two and with his style you have to be at your physical peak. Apparently he broke his hand again, which isn't a good sign, I also thought he lost his hand speed.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down