The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Priestland set to tour with Lions?

+28
MMaaxx
fa0019
SecretFly
maestegmafia
gavstar
Biltong
TJ1
rainbow-warrior
t1000advancedprototype
Breadvan
dragon999
lostinwales
Notch
nathan
majesticimperialman
Taffineastbourne
ChequeredJersey
100%beefy
Scrumdown
yappysnap
Shifty
wales606
thebluesmancometh
Dontheman
alive555
mikey_philVIII
LondonTiger
32 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Priestland set to tour with Lions? - Page 2 Empty Priestland set to tour with Lions?

Post by LondonTiger Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sorry no link as story is behind a paywall, but in The Times today they state that Rhys Priestland is currently Gatland's preferred choice to tour Australia as backup to Sexton, instead of either Dan Biggar or Owen Farrell. It goes on to suggest that Farrell needs a MoTM display tomorrow to secure his place ahead of the Scarlets player.

It is obvious that Gatland likes Priestland as a player - and certainly seems to favour him over Biggar - but bearing in mind his form pre-achilles injury and limited time back for Scarlets would this be wise?

For me I have no real preference between Biggar and Farrell - but feel both should be well ahead of Priestland.

Last edited by LondonTiger on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a ? to the title as it is supposition by The Times)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Priestland set to tour with Lions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Priestland set to tour with Lions?

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:41 am

It seems odd that some folk would rather select someone who has played International Rugby and proved themselves lacking over someone who gives every indication of having a glittering future.Taking conservatism to new levels!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Priestland set to tour with Lions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Priestland set to tour with Lions?

Post by maestegmafia Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:50 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:It seems odd that some folk would rather select someone who has played International Rugby and proved themselves lacking over someone who gives every indication of having a glittering future.Taking conservatism to new levels!

I would like to see players not given international exposure by their nations equal opportunity to make the squad. We would be missing out on some great players if we didnt.

Though that said, David Flatmans call for Wilson of Bath to be third choice Tighthead, in The Independent is frankly ridiculous.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:29 am

Flatman was a tighthead though right? That was his bread and butter so he should know what makes a good one and what doesn't?

Props can get a unfair/generous reputation for being bad/good depending on the other players in their front five.

Beast is probably an average scrummager at best... probably helped having Bismarck next to him and Bakkies behind in the last lions tour... but Beast got the rewards.

That said, nothing I've seen of Wilson would warrant selection. Its his old club mate anyhow.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:43 am

Beast cops a lot of Criticism for his scrumming,

what a lot of people don't realsise is that he was a flanker and converted to prop.

He is still young for a prop and learning, initially he was criticised for scrumming in a lot, but that doesn't happen all that often anymore.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 am

Biltong wrote:Beast cops a lot of Criticism for his scrumming,

what a lot of people don't realsise is that he was a flanker and converted to prop.

He is still young for a prop and learning, initially he was criticised for scrumming in a lot, but that doesn't happen all that often anymore.

Agreed BB. He's not bad but how he tore into Vickery 4 years ago pushed him to the Carl Hayman's reputation whereas at the time in terms of scrumtime he was probably at best 3rd best tighthead in SA, he's improved mind.... I recall a couple of months later watching the Cheetahs smash him to bits in the CC SF... more so then the boks did the Lions in the 1st test.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:52 am

FA, he plays loose head. Wink

The same goes for Coenie Oosthuizen, they are trying to convert him into a tight head because we don't have any.

He is not a tight head and has struggled the whole saeson at tight head. The past two game she was put at loosehead and he is much better there.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:35 am

Returning to the OP it would certainly be a very controversial selection, as would the inclusion of Lydiate, lesser so to a degree...!

But no one has considered the point that Gatland might be right to call up such players who have recently played little rugby.

He ha made these calls before and they have inevitably gone very well for him. He knows how to get the best out of players.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:36 am

I think there is an overemphasis on the scrum in the NH. I think it is an important part of the game and don't want it to be seem as a mere restart but give me a mobile, tackling, carrying prop like Beast over a Sheridan anyday. With the overall size of the Bok pack they will pretty much always have parity with the oposition and on occaison dominate.

Also if Vickery had taken Beast apart as Beast had done to him I presume comentators would've put it down to the older more experienced player using his streetwise skills to good effect over the rookie.

Corbisiero is spoken up by England fans but you'll struggle to find a more illegal scrummager. Watch the Boks last game against Eng for proof.

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:51 am

123456789 wrote:If he is it will make a mockery of the Lions, Gatland will show that he's just another Woodward, Priestland has never, ever been a good player

That's where I stopped reading your post. Disagree with his selection if you want, but lying doesn't do your argument any favours.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:53 am

Indeed luckless -last year Preistland looked the real deal.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:55 am

Priestland of this decade = Charlie Hodgson of the last decade.

Good skills, good player... when it comes to the crunch though you can't rely on him.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:15 am

That's nonsense, fa0019. Unless when you say 'the crunch', you're omitting World Cup games and last season's Six Nations. He didn't have a great game at Twickenham, granted, but in the France game - which was a fairly big deal - his kicking out of hand was superb.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:18 am

Charlie Hodgson had great games too... remember him destroying the boks in 04.. the recently crowned 3N champs? Yet overall he was dangerous to field for England.

You can't have a player who is sometimes hot sometimes cold. You need consistency from your 10.. that and real steel confidence wise.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:19 am

No player is consistently good. Not one.

Priestland's dip in form was painful to watch, but was it his fault that he continued to be selected?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:24 am

You can't blame the coaches for playing him... was he fit? its not like he didn't have the platform either with a solid pack all year.

Form does come and go.... but his didn't just go down... it dragged the rest of the teams down with it.
Until he can prove himself to be able to handle the big occasion again then he can't be trusted in such a big tour.

He's the strings puller, the man who runs the game...esp. with Phillips at 9 and Roberts at 12. You can't have your 10 being unsure, not confident.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:27 am

fa0019 wrote:Form does come and go.... but his didn't just go down... it dragged the rest of the teams down with it.

Remind me how heavy those defeats to the Wallabies were. If he dragged the team's form down, he didn't pull very hard.

Let's also remember that even if Priestland tours, Sexton is still almost certain to be the Test outside half.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:29 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
fa0019 wrote:Form does come and go.... but his didn't just go down... it dragged the rest of the teams down with it.

Remind me how heavy those defeats to the Wallabies were. If he dragged the team's form down, he didn't pull very hard.

If you had another guy playing say Biggar (if he was fit) I think you would have won at least 1 match.

Its not about the skills he has.

Would you be happy to see him in a Wales jersey going forward as starting 10?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:31 am

You certainly can blame the coaches for playing a player who had clearly lost his form. Dreadful selection.

I would be very surprised if Preistland tours tho

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:32 am

If he was in form, fa0019, absolutely.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:41 am

nathan wrote:
t1000advancedprototype wrote:Biggar
Sexton
Hook

In that order

I'd still have Sexton as a starter, still unsure on if Hook should travel. Watched him play the other night and he wasn't brilliant. Bigger, again still unsure about.
a
I'd go with T1000, Biggar's on a roll, since the chargedown Sextons just coming back from injury. Anyway there's a lot of tour games to sort the Test starter. Couldn't be the Rugby correspondent on R4 Today. Seemed to think it was Wilco or Farrell. Talk about out of touch Englnd centric

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:56 am

The issue here is..... what 10 out there has the Potential and Ability to get a Lions backline moving?. Priestland is the only halfback who really has that natural ability to construct controlled attacking opportunities. The way he played after been informed only what 20 mins that he was making his debut in the "world cup friendly double header" against England at Twickers was nothing short of awesome and he followed that up with a whole trance of very impressive performances. Wilkinson Farrell Biggar havent that natural side to their play or even the ability to play that way. However its two things.... its much to late in the day to assess his form/fitness as he what played 1/2 a game and hence you cannae assess his confidence. Too much of risk I'm afraid... shame that tho
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:59 am

I agree that an inform Preistland would be a real asset - however we don't have one. as for getting the back line moving? Sexton is not bad at all, Flood has his moments as well. Rhubarb Jackson?

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:10 pm

Flood in my opinion is no where near Lions quality, I feel England should move beyond him if they want to be serious about RWC2015

The weakest position for the Lions, if Sexton gets injured.....

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:10 pm

deffo Jackson he certainly can get a game moving forward but frustratingly inconsistent seen him have a superb game and the next week dire, and yes Sexton can to an extent but we are assuming he is going as first choice anyway
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:18 pm

FFS - I was only joking about Rhubarb!

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:No player is consistently good. Not one.

Priestland's dip in form was painful to watch, but was it his fault that he continued to be selected?

Dan Biggar is...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:29 pm

Yes of course, silly me. He had a stormer against Ireland the other month and he really shone when we drew with Fiji a season or two ago.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Huh? Priest was quoted as saying he was under coach's orders to kick deep for position in the Aus games which he did do relentlessly predictably getting their back line moving alright

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:50 pm

I can't see Gatland picking Preistland, no game time since the AI's and he was rubbish and not much better (if he was) in the Aust tour and the previous 6N. I don't rate Sexton he also blows hot and cold, I have not been a big fan of Dan Biggar but at least he is solid but I suspect he will not be picked. If two FH's are going I suspect it will be Sexton and Flood and Hook will go as the untility player.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:14 am

I wouldn't take Toby Flood.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:23 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I wouldn't take Toby Flood.

Neither would I, though he is more likely to get the back moving than some other options.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:26 am

That's true.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:27 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:That's true.

Of course it may not always be moving in the right direction.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:41 am

LondonTiger wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:That's true.

Of course it may not always be moving in the right direction.

Ha, ha - at least it wouldn't be boring.

Gatland will feel some pressure to have a decent number of English in the squad, if only to ensure media interest back home. He might also be tempted to give SL a poke in the eye by picking players who are out of favour or unavailable. Flood would manage that, Twelvetrees too, but Wilkinson would be even better.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:27 am

Unless Wilkinson has told Gatland that if Toulon get to the HC final then he doesnt want the media attention to divert the very important first week of coaching policy & team building.... then Wilkinson will be ahead of Flood. I cant see more than two 10s going hence Toby been selected to accompany Sexton ahead of Farrell Wilko Biggar Laidlaw is pretty unlikely.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:47 am

flyhalffactory wrote:Unless Wilkinson has told Gatland that if Toulon get to the HC final then he doesnt want the media attention to divert the very important first week of coaching policy & team building.... then Wilkinson will be ahead of Flood. I cant see more than two 10s going hence Toby been selected to accompany Sexton ahead of Farrell Wilko Biggar Laidlaw is pretty unlikely.

I think almost all of us agree.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:28 am

Well that was a waste of a few pages.............. bin them. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:45 pm

Good news Preistland is not going, or is he, only two flyhalves in the squad!! I would not put it past Gatland to call Preistland up in a few weeks time, most Welsh suporters know Gatland has blue eyed boys in his team they come straight in from long term injuries e.g., Lydiate, Roberts, Jenkins, Warburton, AWJ!!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed May 01, 2013 7:42 am

Alun, let's say Priestland has a stormer against Treviso on Friday to seal the Scarlets' place in the playoffs; let's say he continues to play well and guides the Scarlets to the Pro12 final. What would you say then if he was called up?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2