The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup

+19
GunsGerms
Poorfour
nganboy
aucklandlaurie
super_realist
Dolphin Ziggler
Hulking_up
Hero
bhb001
ChequeredJersey
Crimey
The Womble
SirJohnnyEnglish
Skydriver
McLaren
JuliusHMarx
Stella
sodhat
Adam D
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Choose your fave comic book based film

Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_lcap4%Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 5 ]
Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_lcap14%Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 18 ]
Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_lcap5%Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 6 ]
Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_lcap10%Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 13 ]
Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_lcap6%Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 7 ]
Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_lcap5%Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 6 ]
Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_lcap7%Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 9 ]
Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_lcap1%Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_lcap11%Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 14 ]
Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_lcap23%Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 29 ]
Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_lcap1%Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_lcap9%Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 11 ]
Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_lcap4%Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 125

Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Empty Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:01 am

Round 5 is now under way and its films based on comics or comic book characters. A wide range to choose from this week.

Next week is films with a name in the title. (ie Whatever happened to Baby Jane)

Here are the nominations (where given) reasons:

Remember to vote for your fave 2 films

Superman (1977) - childhood dream come true for me to see a real-life version of Superman, saw it at least 5 times during the summer holidays when it was released

X-men Origins

The only thing you need to know about this film is it has Wolverine in it. The coolest of all comic book characters.

Kick-Ass - An 11 year old said the c-word. The whole film was hilarious. Nicolas Cage was actually good in something. Lyndsey Fonseca was in it.

The Dark Knight - The best comic book film out there due to the fact it managed to change this genre and now most comic book films are trying to be just like it as we can see with the rebooted spiderman which wanted to be darker, gritty just like TDK this film changed a genre and raised the bar of comic films it is truly the best out there, from ledger's outstanding performance of the joker to it keeping you on the edge of your seats and the quotes in this film made it a better experience and personally my fav film of all time.

V for Vendetta - ""Remember, remember, the fifth of November, the gunpowder treason and plot. I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot." Powerful words from a powerful film, Hugo Weaving's portrayal of the masked vigilante V representing the greatest comic book transformation in film history. V for Vendetta is a truly brilliant film, one that captures all the fear of the populace, the bravado of V, and a very stark reminder of how bad fascism would be for us all. Vote for V!!!

Men: First Class - After the disaster of X-Men: The Last Stand came this, a brilliant cast and new direction and a fantastic film. Saved The X-Men series from becoming a joke.

Blade - The daywalker (Wes Snipes) kicks Vampires ass in this action film. The beginning scene with the rave in a underground meat locker raining blood and a top class tune pumping is one of the best scenes I've witnessed in a film.

Watchmen for its dark mix of humour, realism, philosophy and excellent characterisation with unpredictable plot.

Iron Man - made comic book characters cool again. forget your dark stroppy knights. This was a fun, dazzling and relatively unknown superhero who came from leftfield to show us a new type of superhero - the celbrity one. Robert Downey Jr got it spot on.

Avengers Assemble - You like Iron Man? It's got it. You like Hulk? It's got that too. You like Captain America? Seriously what's wrong with you, but it's got that as well.

Last edited by Adam D on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:52 am; edited 2 times in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Empty Re: Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup

Post by sodhat Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:03 am

Had to vote for Watchmen as well as my own selection (cos that's how I roll). It was a great film and so many people I know seem to suggest it was rubbish, but I was gripped by it. The opening credits alone is worth watching.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup Empty Re: Films based on comics - Round 5 of the movie Cup

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:05 am

Doh!

I changed my film at the last minute (I go last usually).

Was going to go for Tim Burtons Batman which would have hopefully taken votes away from the Dark Knight!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:07 am

Went for Kickass and Superman. Would have picked Batman Begins, had it been nominated.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:10 am

Without Batman (1989), Batman Begins and the first X-Men film, I shall have to abstain on this one Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:13 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Without Batman (1989), Batman Begins and the first X-Men film, I shall have to abstain on this one Smile

double Doh - considered both of those and made a last minute impulse change!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:15 am

How can I change my votes?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:20 am

Was expecting this to be another category with too many good choices, but I find a number of the nominations quite surprising (and omissions too).

Being really picky, the Donner Superman was 1978. The year prior to that was dominated by Star Wars!

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:25 am

UI have put vote cancelling on should you wish to change.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:32 am

When for the Dark Knight as the nomination says its probably the text book for all comic book movies going forward and 2nd choice Sin City one of my favourite films and Jessica Alba in leather Drool

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:36 am

I have gone for Superman as it is (imo) not only the best comic book film but by far the best film ever made.

Also went for X Men 1st Class. Really enjoyed that and thought it was the strongest of the X Men franchise.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:17 am

I went for The Dark Knight which, in my opinion, is not only the best comic book film but one of the best films ever. Not many films have made me feel that amazed after I left the cinema.

My second film I went for was Kick Ass which managed to get the balance between comedy and action just right to create a really good film.

I'm surprised at how many poor films in that list, I'm even more surprised at how many people have gone for Superman, the worst superhero, and Watchmen which I thought was an excruciatingly boring film save for some cool moments. I understand that the comic/graphic novel where it was adapted from is actually supposed to be very good but I thought the film was average, considered the praise I'd heard from it, I was massively disappointed.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:27 am

Its funny that the Crow hasnt had a bite yet bearing in mind its similarities to Batman.

As for Watchmen, having read the graphic novel and the watched the Snyder movie, I actually prefer the movie and think it is a more compact, compelling story.

the GN is hugely overated.

The movie is ideal for Snyders visuals.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:50 am

The Dark Knight and Watchmen, both dark, both introspective and both bothering to look at real themes
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:54 am

Watchmen, the film, was good and a very faithful adaptation, but lacked the nuances that the GN had, and which could only be done in GN form - for example, the 'Fearful Symmetry' issue.
Whilst the denouement of the GN was slightly lacking, the rest of it remains right up there as one of the best the medium has ever produced.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:57 am

I found the whole comic within a comic (the cannibal pirate sailor thingy which I cant remember the name of) draining on the GN.

I also think the idea of a giant squid completely stupid too!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:02 pm

I didn't go for it as I thought relatively few people would have see it but my actual vote would go to Persepolis in an ideal world
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:08 pm

I think if you focus on 'Tales of the Black Freighter' (which I also struggled with) and the squid, then you're missing out on the main genius of Watchmen, which is not the plot, but the characters, the themes and juxtaposition of separate, but related words and images - "Ground floor comin' up", "It all came pouring out" etc.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:38 pm

I had to go for Watchmen and Sin City as they are closest to the source material. The Sin City comics are almost a story board for the film it is that close, including the posing of the actors.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:20 pm

I went for V for Vendetta, really enjoyed that film though I had never read the GN it was based upon.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:55 pm

I voted The Crow and The Dark Knight.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Just a reminder for the next round - films with names in the title.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:02 pm

I am amzed that Avengers Assemble is doing so well.

It was alright but not great ( I thought that all of the component films were way better)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:13 pm

I went for the only two films of those I actually liked. Dark Knight is an amazing film in so many ways, whilst Sin City was interesting and clever, although nowhere near as good as Batman. Batman also happens to be one of the only comic book heroes who I dont hate. And getting a small girl to say the C word to bring attention to your film is classy as hell.

Edit: I didnt see Blade, Blade was fun. Im being harsh on Watchmen too, I enjoyed it to some extent but it was up itself.

Last edited by chris.wilkerson13 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:14 pm

Obviously, this is subjective - but one objective measure you could take as a proxy of popularity is box office gross. [Yes, I know it's not scientific - I happen to think that the 2 biggest grossing films of all time are overrated]

There are 2 (if not more?) films in the nominations which have busted the $1bn category - and Avengers is one of them. So I can't say I'm surprised (particularly as I voted for it!).

One of my surprises is that none of the Spider-Man films features - I think at least Spider-Man 2 also broke through the billion barrier.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:19 pm

Adam D wrote:Just a reminder for the next round - films with names in the title.

You mean like :-
Regarding Henry
Educating Rita
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Deconstructing Harry
Saving Private Ryan
Chasing Amy
Looking for Mr Goodbar
Being John Malkovich
Finding Nemo
Eating Raoul
Boxing Helena
Raising Arizona

That's a busy day!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Boxing Helena has win written all over it!

I am waiting for someone to pick Happy Gilmore!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Debbie Does Dallas?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Adam D wrote:Boxing Helena has win written all over it!

Boxing Helena doesn't have a leg to stand on.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:04 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Adam D wrote:Boxing Helena has win written all over it!

Boxing Helena doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Luis Suarez would have problems nibbling on Helena. I found the film a bit weird, for obvious reasons. Rocky could be a winner in this round?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence
Blade

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:16 pm

Hero wrote:I went for V for Vendetta, really enjoyed that film though I had never read the GN it was based upon.

One of the worst films I've ever seen although Watchmen was also shiversomely bad.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:25 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Adam D wrote:Just a reminder for the next round - films with names in the title.

Regarding Henry
Educating Rita
Deconstructing Harry
Saving Private Ryan
Chasing Amy
Looking for Mr Goodbar
Being John Malkovich
Finding Nemo
Eating Raoul
Boxing Helena
Raising Arizona

That's a busy day!

Julius: What about "Lawrence of Arabia"? cant have been too bad to win half a dozen acadamy awards.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:41 am

Hey did Conan get a look in?
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:43 am

Voted yesterday but didn't leave comment

I went for the crow and avengers

Avengers purely because of that final half hour which just absolutely incredible

Can't really give a reason for the crow, just remember watching it years ago and thought it was brilliant and have done ever since

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:48 pm

Annoyed to see my one not doing so well this week. Ah well, I suppose it was more niche the the fun of something like the Avengers
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:10 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

Regarding Henry
Educating Rita
Deconstructing Harry
Saving Private Ryan
Chasing Amy
Looking for Mr Goodbar
Being John Malkovich
Finding Nemo
Eating Raoul
Boxing Helena
Raising Arizona

That's a busy day!

Julius: What about "Lawrence of Arabia"? cant have been too bad to win half a dozen acadamy awards.

Not forgetting:
Dr Strangelove
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Citizen Kane
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
John Carter
Hannibal
Hannibal Rising
Prometheus
A Man called Horse
Harold and Maude
Bonnie and Clyde
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
Jean de Florette
Manon des Sources
Amelie
Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence
Jeff Who Lives at Home
Shaun of the Dead
King Ralph
To Wong Foo, thanks for everything Julie Newmar
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
The Great Gatsby
Elizabeth
Shakespeare in Love
King Kong
The Straight Story
Stuart Little
Shrek
(Mary Shelley's) Frankenstein
(Bram Stoker's) Dracula
Stoker
All the Harry Potter films

...and that's before you get started on Disney (Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, Cinderella, Mulan, Pocahontas) and arguably retreading all those superhero movies ("Batman" is a name).

Think you need some tougher criteria there. But my votes are pledged to Dr Strangelove and Life of Brian.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:21 pm

sodhat wrote:Had to vote for Watchmen as well as my own selection (cos that's how I roll). It was a great film and so many people I know seem to suggest it was rubbish, but I was gripped by it. The opening credits alone is worth watching.

Too much blue dong in Watchmen for me to take it remotely seriously.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:51 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
sodhat wrote:Had to vote for Watchmen as well as my own selection (cos that's how I roll). It was a great film and so many people I know seem to suggest it was rubbish, but I was gripped by it. The opening credits alone is worth watching.

What would have been your preferred colour? Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:34 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

He probably went black (and can never go back)

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:55 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

If I were a giant nuclear-mutated blue man, I would probably flash a bit of dong here and there. Didn't do him any harm, he bagged Malin Akerman.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:56 pm

Just to point out that I meant bagged as in he won her affections. The other kind of bagging would be like suffocation with a blue bean bag.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:47 pm

I can't believe V for Vendetta hasn't done better. That film put V on centre stage and he delivered big time.

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:08 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Trousers would have been my preferred colour.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:12 pm

I am very surprised that none of the following were included:

Spiderman
Spiderman 2
Spiderman 3
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Incredible Hulk
The Amazing Spiderman
Batman

I'm not saying these films should be included (except Batman, still the best Dark Knight film imo) just that I thought at least 1 or 2 would have been selected. They were all released since the turn of the century (except BM) and are 'fresh in the memory'.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:08 pm

Can I just remind people to get their nominations for this week in by tomorrow.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:12 pm

Did you receive mine ok Adam?
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:13 pm

Everyone who has sent them has been received okay and are valid.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:29 am

went with Dark Knight and V for Vendetta in the end.

Dark Knight an easy choice for me, just an awesome film which as written re-defined the genre. In fact I'd argue it re-defined the genre not just of comic-book films but action films in general since have tended to all be very gritty or "Nolan-like", not always with great success unfortunately.

The second choice was harder. Out of the films on the list I really enjoyed Kick-Ass, V for Vendetta and X-Men: First Class. I also liked the Avengers in a different style (just a couple of hours of great fun), The Crow is a good film too, and I also liked Iron Man (though mostly for Downey Junior's performance, the rest of the film isn't that great) and Superman of course.

Not quite sure how X-Men: Origins got in, though it was pretty awful TBH and actually prefered all three of the original trilogy films (yes, even the last one...). Also found Watchmen a bit meh, watched it before reading the GN (which blew me away) and the characters really lack depth compared to their GN selves for me.

Haven't seen the others so can't comment there.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:26 pm

Shirley Valentine
The Queen
Frost and Nixon
Jerry Maguire
Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
Legend of Bagger Vance
Michael Clayton
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Emanuelle

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next