The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BT SPORT strengthens its hand

+23
Heaf
maestegmafia
doctor_grey
aitchw
LondonTiger
HongKongCherry
theshanker
LordDowlais
Bathman_in_London
GunsGerms
Jenifer McLadyboy
nathan
geoff998rugby
TrailApe
Jimpy
Taffineastbourne
Portnoy's Complaint
SecretFly
thebluesmancometh
Feckless Rogue
profitius
HammerofThunor
BigTrevsbigmac
27 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

BT SPORT strengthens its hand - Page 3 Empty BT SPORT strengthens its hand

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 15 Apr 2013, 11:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/9996440/BT-Sports-rugby-revolution-fronted-by-former-England-captain-Lawrence-Dallaglio-captures-French-Top-14.html

Pressure builds for movement in the HC talks.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

BT SPORT strengthens its hand - Page 3 Empty Re: BT SPORT strengthens its hand

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 18 Apr 2013, 12:35 pm

Jimpy wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:Jimpy,you are clearly not my type and I am clearly not your type.I could not imagine us conversing in the club house after a game.
This forum allows all to express their opinions freely.Folk can agree and folk can disagree.
As soon as things descend into personal slurs it saddens me.Because I don't pop at you please don't think that I am not thinking words that I feel not to be appropriate for this medium.I am simply trying to behave in a decent manner.Name calling only inflames and does no good in my opinion.You think it is ok.Each to their own.We have all been brought up differently and have had different life experiences which help to mould us.I have simply trodden a different path than the one you have been on.

"you are coming across as a tad arrogant, patronising and elitist"

A beautifully accurate posting - and I didn't say it either (more's the pity).
This one did make me chuckle.How do you think you come across?I am too much of a gentleman to enlighten you.Something to ponder methinks laughing

The personal messages I received from other posters about you appear to all be true. I need not ponder anything.
Nobody bothered to pm about you.Wonder why?Probably coz you ain't worth it.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 18 Apr 2013, 12:41 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Don't know. They've said some are going to be free to air but I can't fine any details about how to get their channel. Whether that's because it's not been sorted or because it's so obvious no-ones saying it. There was a legal thing about Sky refusing to broadcast adverts for BT Sport.

Cheers for the answer Thunor, I was begining to think that I was the only person who didn't know anything about this, but by the looks of it nobody knows. Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 18 Apr 2013, 2:00 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:Jimpy,you are clearly not my type and I am clearly not your type.I could not imagine us conversing in the club house after a game.
This forum allows all to express their opinions freely.Folk can agree and folk can disagree.
As soon as things descend into personal slurs it saddens me.Because I don't pop at you please don't think that I am not thinking words that I feel not to be appropriate for this medium.I am simply trying to behave in a decent manner.Name calling only inflames and does no good in my opinion.You think it is ok.Each to their own.We have all been brought up differently and have had different life experiences which help to mould us.I have simply trodden a different path than the one you have been on.

"you are coming across as a tad arrogant, patronising and elitist"

A beautifully accurate posting - and I didn't say it either (more's the pity).
This one did make me chuckle.How do you think you come across?I am too much of a gentleman to enlighten you.Something to ponder methinks laughing

The personal messages I received from other posters about you appear to all be true. I need not ponder anything.

Nobody bothered to pm about you.Wonder why?Probably because they acknowledge that you were at least in part correct and that I was getting on everybody else's nerves with sanctimonious, eliteist and pompous drivel. This was recognised most profoundly when I made a snide comment about jimpy's Mother which by definition meant that i'd conceded that i was wrong, but was too stupid to admit it. .

There, fixed that for you. Oh, and for an Ex-English teacher, your punctuation is absolutely spot on.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 18 Apr 2013, 2:11 pm

aNeeway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tu get. Back to, B;T!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 19 Apr 2013, 8:42 am

One thing is for sure, we're going to be kept waiting until the last minute to find out what the deal will be. And you can bet that by then, it will be a rush job to implement. Nobody is going to win with this one.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Fri 19 Apr 2013, 11:50 am

Jimpy,

I’m not sure about the rush job.

From what I’ve seen in the press BT have been busy in the background, they have acquired those offices near the Olympic whotsit and they are signing up various personalities. Remember the programme content will all be going via broadband into various box tops, so the technical side is proven, it’s just a matter of working out the pricing and packages.

But I know what you mean, it’s worrying moving into the unknown. Ironically, for one who has voiced an opinion on this thread, I won’t be able to get it – my broadband is slower than the bowel movement of a constipated tortoise.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 19 Apr 2013, 11:59 am

Netflix Rugby.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 19 Apr 2013, 12:40 pm

TrailApe wrote:Jimpy,

I’m not sure about the rush job.

From what I’ve seen in the press BT have been busy in the background, they have acquired those offices near the Olympic whotsit and they are signing up various personalities. Remember the programme content will all be going via broadband into various box tops, so the technical side is proven, it’s just a matter of working out the pricing and packages.

But I know what you mean, it’s worrying moving into the unknown. Ironically, for one who has voiced an opinion on this thread, I won’t be able to get it – my broadband is slower than the bowel movement of a constipated tortoise.

As far as i'm aware it isn't speed based, your local exchange has to multicast enabled. Mine should be soon and i've been told to move away from the dodgy sky Crying or Very sad

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by theshanker Thu 09 May 2013, 12:48 pm

I see BT have announced that if you have BT broadband that BT sport will be free to all current and new subscribers, some lucky Aviva fans!! also their premier league matches are included. Start of a broadband price war me thinks

theshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 09 May 2013, 1:19 pm

I have to say it is a very competitive price and is far better than I was paying Sky and ESPN. I shall certainly be making the move across (despite the fact the last time I used BT they were rubbish!!)
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu 09 May 2013, 1:26 pm

theshanker wrote:I see BT have announced that if you have BT broadband that BT sport will be free to all current and new subscribers, some lucky Aviva fans!! also their premier league matches are included. Start of a broadband price war me thinks

they'll also get ESPN for free (aas they now own it). I'm actually happy BT have done all this as it could fuel a pricing war between sky/bt

Sky Sports

For the 2012/2013 football season, Sky charged customers a minimum of £57.75 per month for its Sky Sports HD channels as part of a TV package, or a minimum of £79.75 per month for a deal that included a phone line and broadband.

ESPN was charged at an additional £10 per month.

Sky included:
115 live Premier League fixtures
129 live Champions League fixtures
Sky F1 channel
Range of other sports

BT Sport

For the 2013/2014 season, two BT Sport channels and ESPN will be offered free to customers who pay for BT broadband.

BT Infinity fibre broadband will cost £30.45 per month (including a £15.45 monthly line rental fee) or £25.45 per month for copper broadband.

Customers not subscribing to BT internet deals can buy the sport channels through satellite services for £15 per month in HD or £12 per month in SD.
38 live Premier League matches
FA Cup, Europa League matches on ESPN
69 live rugby Premiership matches
Range of other sports

BT will also be offering there product to pubs/clubs etc for up to 78% cheaper than sky.

http://www.bt.com/sport/?s_cid=con_social_buysport lets you know how to receive it all.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 09 May 2013, 2:10 pm

Seems like a war is about to start reminiscent of the 80s supermarkets one.

Will Sky draw in reinforcements from NewsCorp or whatever the holding group is?

Rupert really will not like this.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by theshanker Thu 09 May 2013, 2:14 pm

Or if your wife works for BT cost of Infinity = £0 sorted Cool

theshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 09 May 2013, 2:29 pm

Thinking of that, I'm a BT pensioner. I wonder if I'll get a helping hand.

Please Sir, can I have some more Sir?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by theshanker Thu 09 May 2013, 2:51 pm

LOL greytiger good luck with that probably like getting blood out of a stone though!!

theshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 09 May 2013, 5:19 pm

theshanker wrote:I see BT have announced that if you have BT broadband that BT sport will be free to all current and new subscribers, some lucky Aviva fans!! also their premier league matches are included. Start of a broadband price war me thinks

Just sen that. As I have Infinity happy days Smile Shame about cricket though Sad

I see that BT have recruited Healey and Kay.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu 09 May 2013, 5:27 pm

Full of foreboding for me. Waiting to see how it all pans out as I have Virgin only. BT along with all other landline providers can't deliver a decent broadband service in my area so I'm screwed by the sound of it.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 09 May 2013, 5:29 pm

I see that BT have recruited Healey and Kay.

Joy of joys.

I reckon that I could do without SIs and the AIs in the future. And somehow I feel that I'll struggle along without Barnesey.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 09 May 2013, 6:01 pm

aitchw wrote:Full of foreboding for me. Waiting to see how it all pans out as I have Virgin only. BT along with all other landline providers can't deliver a decent broadband service in my area so I'm screwed by the sound of it.

The 3 BT Sports channels will be available on a Sky Dish (£15pcm). I should think that they will do a deal with Virgin to be available on a Tivo or whatever their Broadband TV box is called.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 09 May 2013, 6:01 pm

Glad to see BT are basically going for a rebranded ESPN coverage (pretty much). Since I live in Hull and an't get BT I'm pretty happy BTSports is available on sky box

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 09 May 2013, 6:05 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Glad to see BT are basically going for a rebranded ESPN coverage (pretty much). Since I live in Hull and an't get BT I'm pretty happy BTSports is available on sky box

Is Hull still off the BT network Hammer? I knew that it was nationalised in the past (WWII?) but I can't remember why.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 09 May 2013, 6:07 pm

Yep. We have to get our landline off KC. Basically they didn't join when all the local networks joined to form BT. The council sold the ownership private and used the money to build the KC stadium

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 09 May 2013, 6:34 pm

Hull was always an added pain in the arse when writing code for the network.
I did a PGSE at the uni there and can only remember the green (or were they cream?) phone boxes. I don't remember as I was paying more attention to a private course in cross-gender studies.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu 09 May 2013, 8:51 pm

aitchw wrote:Full of foreboding for me. Waiting to see how it all pans out as I have Virgin only. BT along with all other landline providers can't deliver a decent broadband service in my area so I'm screwed by the sound of it.

find a friend with BT and ask to use their username/password. There will apps available for tablets/phones.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 10 May 2013, 1:43 am

greytiger wrote:Rupert really will not like this.
Maybe we will all get lucky and he will get so mad that his evil little bald head will explode into evil little bald head bits.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 10 May 2013, 12:15 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:I have to say it is a very competitive price and is far better than I was paying Sky and ESPN. I shall certainly be making the move across (despite the fact the last time I used BT they were rubbish!!)

I am trying to work out what to do myself. The BT broadband is very good in reviews. But I have had bad experiences with BT as an un-caring company that have a customer service department that are completely ineffectual.

I am not sure I want the risk moving from SKY who though not as technically advanced do deal with problems when you have them..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 10 May 2013, 12:41 pm

Although they use Indian call centres - I have had no issues with BT in recent years. Sometimes had issues referred back to a native English speaker - but generally the Mumbai lot seem better than the Wolverhampton bunch.

Never, ever had decent customer service from SKy however. Guess we all have different experiences.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 10 May 2013, 12:54 pm

Always firmly believed that any chumps outsourcing customer services tells me that company doesn't care about its customer or product the just want quick cash.

As a customer I want long term benefit and a good quality product for what i pay for, I value being treated with respect by a company that I pay handsomely to on a regular basis.

Sky have fluent, intelligent staff who patiently assist when you have issues. We have had a few issues recently with clashing Wifi channels and the staff have been very good at explaining how to find what will best work for us.

They have their faults as all do but in general they make me feel appreciated when I need assistance.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 10 May 2013, 2:49 pm

As I said, different experiences. When I had difficulties picking up a Sky signal, each customer service rep I spoke to was completely disinterested. In the end I had to threaten to leave to get them to do anything other than say "yeah yopu seem to have a weak signal".

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 10 May 2013, 3:35 pm

Try asking somebody that has Sky email what they think about them after their recent bungled transition to yahoo mail - one of my friends uses Sky email and it was an unmitigated disaster. In my experience they are fine when things are going OK but technically inept when anything goes wrong.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Fri 10 May 2013, 3:58 pm

Anybody out there up for a bit of research?

What will be the cheapest way to get the rugby and still access Sky Sports so I can get the golf/cricket?

1 - Stay with Sky and pay the £12 for BT Sport
2 - Move to BT and pay extra for Sky Sport
3 - Move to Virgin and pay extra for BT and Sky Sports?

Assuming that I move my phone/broadband as well.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 11 May 2013, 12:06 am

You know what, this'll sound sad as a huge HC and AP watcher, but I won't bother moving.

I enjoy super rugby more than the AP, and combined with internationals (of both hemispheres) the F1, basketball, football etc... I am not willing to give that up for the HC alone. I have spoken to a lot of people and rugby's pull isn't as big as BT are hoping, I think they'll struggle to justify the payout to audience after a short while and struggle.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 11 May 2013, 12:24 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:You know what, this'll sound sad as a huge HC and AP watcher, but I won't bother moving.

I enjoy super rugby more than the AP, and combined with internationals (of both hemispheres) the F1, basketball, football etc... I am not willing to give that up for the HC alone. I have spoken to a lot of people and rugby's pull isn't as big as BT are hoping, I think they'll struggle to justify the payout to audience after a short while and struggle.

I think you'll find they expecting the football to be the big pull. Not the rugby. Also, as someone who only has sky for the rugby I can tell it will be dropped shortly and I'll be getting BTSports. You're not really the target audience I don't think.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 11 May 2013, 11:40 am

maestegmafia wrote:Always firmly believed that any chumps outsourcing customer services tells me that company doesn't care about its customer or product the just want quick cash.

As a customer I want long term benefit and a good quality product for what i pay for, I value being treated with respect by a company that I pay handsomely to on a regular basis.

Sky have fluent, intelligent staff who patiently assist when you have issues. We have had a few issues recently with clashing Wifi channels and the staff have been very good at explaining how to find what will best work for us.

They have their faults as all do but in general they make me feel appreciated when I need assistance.

this may your experience but it's certainly not mine or about 5 of my mates.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 11 May 2013, 2:37 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:You know what, this'll sound sad as a huge HC and AP watcher, but I won't bother moving.

I think you'll find they expecting the football to be the big pull. Not the rugby. Also, as someone who only has sky for the rugby I can tell it will be dropped shortly and I'll be getting BTSports. You're not really the target audience I don't think.

Single sport loving male between the age of 24 and 30 with plenty of dispensible cash to spare...

If I'm not the BT audience they are in real trouble Laugh

The football is the one thing I watch little of, so maybe your right though, but if it's a choice between AP and HC or super and international rugby I'll stick with what I've got, mainly because I never get a chance to sit on the sofa saturday afternoons mind, saturday mornings are far better for rugby in my house, as well as friday and sat night rabo games...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Sat 11 May 2013, 3:29 pm

Just renewed my BT broadband and was told I get BT sport for free from August - which took me by surprise! Don't have Sky box - but they said can get online, apps for tablet/phones. Hoping a PS3 app will come too.

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 11 May 2013, 5:32 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

Single sport loving male between the age of 24 and 30 with plenty of dispensible cash to spare...

The football is the one thing I watch little of, so maybe your right though, but if it's a choice between AP and HC or super and international rugby I'll stick with what I've got, mainly because I never get a chance to sit on the sofa saturday afternoons mind, saturday mornings are far better for rugby in my house, as well as friday and sat night rabo games...

Given what they've picked up you'd think they're after football and English rugby fans. I'm sure they wouldn't object to you signing up ( Very Happy ) but I don't think they'd be surprised if you don't. For non-English rugby fans sky have S15, 4N and will have Pro12 and possibly their home European games as well. If you were only getting one I'd think you fool if you went with BT instead of Sky. Same goes for any English rugby fans going for Sky over BT.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 11 May 2013, 6:46 pm

Does anyone Have BT and know whether they have BBC Wales and S4C like sky do?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 11 May 2013, 6:59 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

Given what they've picked up you'd think they're after football and English rugby fans. I'm sure they wouldn't object to you signing up ( Very Happy ) but I don't think they'd be surprised if you don't. For non-English rugby fans sky have S15, 4N and will have Pro12 and possibly their home European games as well. If you were only getting one I'd think you fool if you went with BT instead of Sky. Same goes for any English rugby fans going for Sky over BT.

Ye your probably right, but isn't the England internationals still with sky? And am I wrong in thinking Ireland and Scotland have just signed up to them too? Or did I dream that?

Difficult decision for an English rugby fan, club or country!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 11 May 2013, 7:23 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

Ye your probably right, but isn't the England internationals still with sky? And am I wrong in thinking Ireland and Scotland have just signed up to them too? Or did I dream that?

or both! You'll still get the bt sport channels on sky for free if you have bt broadband.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 11 May 2013, 7:35 pm

I didn't know that, is that more expensive? and does it run as well as sky?

If thats the case why choose? I'd happily pay the extra few pennies a month

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 11 May 2013, 7:39 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:I didn't know that, is that more expensive? and does it run as well as sky?

If thats the case why choose? I'd happily pay the extra few pennies a month

http://www.bt.com/sport/

first option on 3 ways to watch

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 11 May 2013, 7:43 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

Not really AI last a month. Minimum sky sports contract is a month. So have sky sports for a couple of months a year and you have all the England games.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 12 May 2013, 2:52 pm

BT shows BBC Wales but does not show S4C.

For the many Welsh rugby fans based in England, like myself, that is a deciding factor in my opinion.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 12 May 2013, 2:59 pm

maestegmafia wrote:BT shows BBC Wales but does not show S4C.

For the many Welsh rugby fans based in England, like myself, that is a deciding factor in my opinion.

i thought S4C was available on Freeview?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 12 May 2013, 3:36 pm

nathan wrote:

Sky or FREESAT

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 12 May 2013, 4:25 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
nathan wrote:

Sky or FREESAT

Ah right, it's only in Wales on freeview

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sun 12 May 2013, 4:45 pm

I have to say I don't really mind - it seems you can always have a priate feed. I don't pay for any tv sport

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 12 May 2013, 4:58 pm

Keep that under your hat, TJ Whistle

..there are no - absolutely NO - private messages being sent here from person to person on big Sky game days!!!!!!!!!!

That is just an urban myth. The technology ain't available for that sort of non-paying, scratchy-streaming subterfuge. It's decades down the line before you'll be able to con like that.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MotelMoneyMurderMadness Thu 16 May 2013, 6:43 pm

Just signed up to BT. £15 for the landline and £10 per month for unlimited broadband plus the rugby. Well happy. After the origin and lions series I will be saying bye bye sky.

MotelMoneyMurderMadness

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next