The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BT SPORT strengthens its hand

+23
Heaf
maestegmafia
doctor_grey
aitchw
LondonTiger
HongKongCherry
theshanker
LordDowlais
Bathman_in_London
GunsGerms
Jenifer McLadyboy
nathan
geoff998rugby
TrailApe
Jimpy
Taffineastbourne
Portnoy's Complaint
SecretFly
thebluesmancometh
Feckless Rogue
profitius
HammerofThunor
BigTrevsbigmac
27 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

BT SPORT strengthens its hand Empty BT SPORT strengthens its hand

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 15 Apr 2013, 11:24 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/9996440/BT-Sports-rugby-revolution-fronted-by-former-England-captain-Lawrence-Dallaglio-captures-French-Top-14.html

Pressure builds for movement in the HC talks.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

BT SPORT strengthens its hand Empty Re: BT SPORT strengthens its hand

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:32 am

It was released a while back that Dallaglio was fronting the rugby. Still nothing new...unfortunately.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:46 am

It means they'll have the French teams working with the English teams as one group now. This was possibly being worked on since it all kicked off. I don't think it'll make negotiations any easier.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 16 Apr 2013, 1:05 am

I want the HC to stay. It's such a class tournament that's been built over the last 15 or so years. It'd be madness to throw it away. But I'm just adding that I agree with this statement.

“Rugby has got a responsibility to sell itself more, and get away from its elitist, middle-class image,” Dallaglio said. “We’ve got to make the sport less complicated without losing its essence.”

I think Ireland has done a decent job in the last decade of spreading rugby beyond the tiny traditional rugby enclaves, and enticing "ordinary joe's" from all over to at least get into watching it, as well as increasing playing numbers. It's still a minority sport behind soccer and (Gaelic) football by far. But it's made a bit of progress in shedding the elitist "posh" image it once had.

The Welsh have never had that problem. The Scots and English have I think. And the Scots in particular don't seem to have grown the game at all in the pro era (correct me if I'm wrong). I'd be all for BT improving rugby's appeal.

However I'm not for lumping 4 nations together and giving them 6 European Cup spots between them, while guaranteeing the English and the French 6 each. I thought that proposal was just a starting negotiating position from the English but I don't think they've budged on it so far.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 16 Apr 2013, 1:08 am

Actually wouldn't it be brilliant if there was just one rugby channel you could subscribe to and get all the domestic rugby from both hemisphere's.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 16 Apr 2013, 7:55 am

I wouldn't read too much into BT having T14 games. It's the FFR that sell that and they aren't on the clubs' (any of them) side. They just wanted to move on their UK rights. ESPN had them and stopped showing them (or lost them). The UK T14 TV deal isn't really a big deal. Now if the FFR gave control of the rights to the LNR and they got into bed with BT it would be a different thing.

Actually do the FFR control the TV righs or does the French broadcaster the deal with have them? not sure.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 16 Apr 2013, 8:41 am

Hasn't the T14 deal been virtually given away, ESPN overpayed then discarded them because of a severe lack of audience in the UK.

This is just blustering of a non story IMHO

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:49 pm

"More accessible and inclusive"

Such bullsHiTT. Talking players mid game... they'll love that and be real Shakespearian with their comments and all most likely.

To add to the talking tacticians who already interrupt games to give you their 'analysis' of a move, as you try to keep your mind on the mood of the game instead.

More accessible and inclusive? They must have paid a fortune to some copywriter to give them that spiel to throw out as a carrot.

Just let the fans play along with their sides? Now, that's inclusive with a capital BT! My name is Barry Scott!!!!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:41 am

SecretFly wrote:"More accessible and inclusive"

Such bullsHiTT. Talking players mid game... they'll love that and be real Shakespearian with their comments and all most likely.

To add to the talking tacticians who already interrupt games to give you their 'analysis' of a move, as you try to keep your mind on the mood of the game instead.

More accessible and inclusive? They must have paid a fortune to some copywriter to give them that spiel to throw out as a carrot.

Just let the fans play along with their sides? Now, that's inclusive with a capital BT! My name is Barry Scott!!!!

Laugh

I understand where you're coming from. You just want to watch the rugby and cringe at any fancy window dressing. But I think if some fancy window dressing and half time nonsense and fireworks and hype and such get more people watching then I'm all for it. Because more watching means more cash and more kids playing which is good for the future.

You might doubt that stuff gets more people watching. But if it didn't, they wouldn't bother doing it. They don't just make up this stuff for no reason.

Do they?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:00 am

Razzmatazz depends on the local market taste.

I personally feel that the Americanised pre/inter-match production numbers or proliferation of overblown anthems/hakas etc. a downer. But that's just me.

However, as I always claimed, I only speak for myself.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 17 Apr 2013, 9:36 am

All the hoopla ,gadgets and gizmos add zilch.To have an "expert" to highlight an area on the pitch where no defenders are present is jaw droppingly inane.I wish they would go retro and keep it simple and straightforward.
Clever dickery for clever dickery's sake adds no value.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Apr 2013, 9:51 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:All the hoopla ,gadgets and gizmos add zilch.To have an "expert" to highlight an area on the pitch where no defenders are present is jaw droppingly inane.I wish they would go retro and keep it simple and straightforward.
Clever dickery for clever dickery's sake adds no value.

No it isn't actually. It is very useful for explaining facets of the game that may escape those new to the sport and make it more accessible to them as they find they are able to understand what is going on more. Furthermore, i've been playing and watching since 1985 and I still find it interesting personally.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:14 am

I respectfully beg to differ.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:14 am

Yeah I must admit when I played I was very 'head down' - ruck maul scrum lineout ruck maul scrum lineout - Poopie - I've got the ball! bugger dropped it scrum ruck maul lineout etc.

So if some of the more knowledgable commentators can point out what is going on, what could have happened (hell, even NUMBERS! - LEFT! is quite informative for me) and adds to my enjoyment.

And as an added bonus, some of these fancy-pants scmalzy moves that the backs try out at the higher levels can be analised (sp? - that just looks painful) and might give the 13 and 14 year old kids an insight into what back play can be.

I agree in parts with some of the media stuff being inappropriate - the flames and dancing and cheerleaders and fly-pasts etc - but when all of this stuff is going on I either get the kettle on or take off those plastic things that keeps the 4 pack together line and up my beverages for consumption during the match.

So for me, the more info the better.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:17 am

Cliff Morgan and Bill Mclaren managed pretty well without all this stuff.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:26 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:Cliff Morgan and Bill Mclaren managed pretty well without all this stuff.

I wish there was a dinosaur emoticon for you.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:28 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:Cliff Morgan and Bill Mclaren managed pretty well without all this stuff.

times do move on you know. People seem to want Rugby to be stuck in the past.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:29 am

TrailApe wrote:Yeah I must admit when I played I was very 'head down' - ruck maul scrum lineout ruck maul scrum lineout - Poopie - I've got the ball! dropped it scrum ruck maul lineout etc.

So if some of the more knowledgable commentators can point out what is going on, what could have happened (, even NUMBERS! - LEFT! is quite informative for me) and adds to my enjoyment.

And as an added bonus, some of these fancy-pants scmalzy moves that the backs try out at the higher levels can be analised (sp? - that just looks painful) and might give the 13 and 14 year old kids an insight into what back play can be.

I agree in parts with some of the media stuff being inappropriate - the flames and dancing and cheerleaders and fly-pasts etc - but when all of this stuff is going on I either get the kettle on or take off those plastic things that keeps the 4 pack together line and up my beverages for consumption during the match.

So for me, the more info the better.

I think it is for most people to be honest. It has certainly allowed me a greater understanding of the sport and even to have been able to put into practice some of which i've seen.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:36 am

Bill McLaren was by a country mile the outstanding rugby commentator.

No one since comes close, remotely close.

I am all for moving on by class is permanent and Bill McLaren was class

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:41 am

Cliff Morgan and Bill Mclaren managed pretty well without all this stuff..

I think Rugby has moved on since those days.

If rugby cannot broaden its appeal to reach more markets and create more revenue then we will lose the interests of the media, lose the revenue and ultimately will lose the ability to support a professional system.

I'm over 50 and can remember some of the early televised games - and that includes the 5 nations - and I don't want to go back to that.

A lot of us old fogey's twonk on about how much better it was in those days, but it wasn't. A few games were lit up by a few examples of brilliance, but a lot of the time it was pretty grim. In most cases the better tries were not because of good technique, vision and pace but because the opposition fell off tackles as they were exhausted - and the number of times that a back scored a try after running 30 metres and nearly needed resuscitation afterwards is remarkable.

If I want to watch that stuff nowadays there are still plenty of games like that – but they are in the lower divisions and being watched by two men and a dog.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:42 am

geoff998rugby wrote:Bill McLaren was by a country mile the outstanding rugby commentator.

No one since comes close, remotely close.

I am all for moving on by class is permanent and Bill McLaren was class

Yes, but I never saw him analyse a move in slow time for the benefit of viewers. I did listen to him get very excited on a few occasions. And comment on how the school boys were having a great time.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:45 am

Jimpy wrote:

So everything that is new is good? picard Rolling Eyes

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:48 am

He made the game entertaining
He didn't take it or himself too seriously
He had the best one liners
He had a deep love of the game
He was a natural commentator

That was a winning combination in any era.

I not saying the game was better then, it wasn't, but Bill McLaren has yet to be equalled as a commentator

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:48 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Don't be ridiculous, that was never said, nor implied. Save the Picard emoticons for yourself if you're going to make idiotic comments like that.

Last edited by Jimpy on Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:49 am

Don't you just love the post match interviews?They really add to the proceedings.Winning Captain/Coach is chuffed,losing Captain/Coach is gutted.Who'd have thought it!
Shame we never had these in the old days.We would have attracted a lot more players/fans.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:50 am

nathan wrote:

The discussion isn't really about rugby though, is it? It's about how TV wants to present rugby. Rugby still gets played on the field for 80 minutes...and those at the grounds watch it that way - still. All of them living in the past Wink

It's what TV wants to do to rugby that is the discussion point. So why not break the game into quarters rather than halves? Longer duration to do the trimmings, more lovely ad breaks, more time devoted to analysis and analysis of analysis, more pre-game fireballs, more post-game inquistion time for coaches and players who simply want a shower and to go home and rest.
Just how much more than the actual game does a TV watching public who allegedly love the game (on the field) itself want to see?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:50 am

Jimpy wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Don't be ridiculous, that was never said, nor implied. Save the Picard emoticons for yourself if you're going to make idiotic comments like that.
What was your dinosaur reference about?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:54 am

SecretFly wrote:
nathan wrote:

The discussion isn't really about rugby though, is it? It's about how TV wants to present rugby. Rugby still gets played on the field for 80 minutes...and those at the grounds watch it that way - still. All of them living in the past Wink

It's what TV wants to do to rugby that is the discussion point. So why not break the game into quarters rather than halves? Longer duration to do the trimmings, more lovely ad breaks, more time devoted to analysis and analysis of analysis, more pre-game fireballs, more post-game inquistion time for coaches and players who simply want a shower and to go home and rest.
Just how much more than the actual game does a TV watching public who allegedly love the game (on the field) itself want to see?

I think that sometimes the build up of an hour is far too much, in fact, I normally don't switch on until about 10 minutes before scheduled kick-off. But there's the thing, I don't necessarily like the build-up, so I choose not to watch it, because - I can. Its amazing this freedom of choice thing isn't it. I find match analysis interesting and informative and post match comment can be equally useful. However, I find comments that suggest that the coverage should start as the players leave the tunnel and finish as the final whistle blows, not only less useful, but pretty dull 'n all.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:56 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Oh God, shall I spell it out phone-et-I-cally for you?

Or let me put it another way, so is everything old good?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:02 am

Jimpy wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Oh God, shall I spell it out phone-et-I-cally for you?

Or let me put it another way, so is everything old good?
There seem to be anger management issues evident here!
Because I am not keen on some of the new fanlgled hoopla I am accused of being a dinosaur.This seems unwarranted overreaction.Hey ho away you go.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:06 am

Anger management?

You reap what you sow...

As far as I can tell, the sum total of your argument is simply your opinion that Cliff Morgan and Bill McLaren were good eggs (nobody said they weren't) and that we would have been better off if they'd been somehow kept alive to provide a 'one man band' presentation package.

However, you appear to be outnumbered, here at least. Thankfully.

Last edited by Jimpy on Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:06 am

Jimpy wrote:

I think that sometimes the build up of an hour is far too much, in fact, I normally don't switch on until about 10 minutes before scheduled kick-off. But there's the thing, I don't necessarily like the build-up, so I choose not to watch it, because - I can. Its amazing this freedom of choice thing isn't it. I find match analysis interesting and informative and post match comment can be equally useful. However, I find comments that suggest that the coverage should start as the players leave the tunnel and finish as the final whistle blows, not only less useful, but pretty dull 'n all.

Good man...the TV viewing habits of Jimpy continues apace. So what do you have for your game day snack?

Yeah, freedom of choice is an amazing thing...the freedom to like the sales pitch which suggests a TV company is going to make rugby more "accessible and inclusive" and the freedom to think it's a load of copywrite claptrap.

Yep, the four quarterly game is the only answer...that way you can use your freedom of choice to watch only 100 minutes of a four hour game. But be wise with your choices, Jimpy, as you might miss a restart when you expected another ad break.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:08 am

So everything that is new is good?

Do you want to watch rugby on the television?
Do you want to watch a decent standard of International rugby live?

If the answer to these is yes, then we have to fight for every £ that is out there and every couch potato that is flicking between the wall to wall dross that is on the TV at the minute.

In the UK the biggest sport is soccer. That’s it. Rugby Union is out there competing against a load of other sports fighting over the scraps of air time that are left. If we can make Union an attractive schedule filler (between the soccer) then we – as a sport- will get more money.

It’s as straight forward as that. And Union is NOT a simple sport, it’s like Shrek’s Onion, it has many layers and we have to explain to the couch potato - who cannot attend the soccer as he’s punched a horse and is under house arrest – what the hell all these huge guys are doing running around at high speeds hitting each other.

We don’t want this bloke at our games, but we want him to be a stat in the big media report that indicates to the media headsheds and the corporates that use the games to advertise, that it’s worth their ££££ going to Sky/BT/whoever as brain dead couch potatoes WILL watch Union. And the Brain Dead are often those that the Marketeers aim their messages at.

It's either that or stock up on your CD's of the recent 6N and Lions tours as they will be all that's left to you to watch on the box.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:09 am

SecretFly wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Good man...the TV viewing habits of Jimpy continues apace. So what do you have for your game day snack?

Yeah, freedom of choice is an amazing thing...the freedom to like the sales pitch which suggests a TV company is going to make rugby more "accessible and inclusive" and the freedom to think it's a load of copywrite claptrap.

Yep, the four quarterly game is the only answer...that way you can use your freedom of choice to watch only 100 minutes of a four hour game. But be wise with your choices, Jimpy, as you might miss a restart when you expected another ad break.

See, this being rugby, that will never happen, so your comment is rather stupid. Rather, read Trail Ape's comments (he and I appear to be singing from the same sheet after all) and attempt to refute them with a proper argument. Or just go away?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:15 am

Jimpy wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

See, this being rugby, that will never happen, so your comment is rather stupid.

It'll never happen? Why not? Are you going to stand in the way of progress and look to the past of a laughably old fashioned two half game? Get with the program, Jimpy - the Americans show us the way, the route to turning sport into showbiz and dropping those chimney pots onto couches. Don't go sticking your head in the dirt, embrace the future. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:16 am

Jimpy wrote:Anger management?

You reap what you sow...

As far as I can tell, the sum total of your argument is simply your opinion that Cliff Morgan and Bill McLaren were good eggs (nobody said they weren't) and that we would have been better off if they'd been somehow kept alive to provide a 'one man band' presentation package.

The banality of your post and gross misrepresentation of my posts make clear your need of someone else to analyse what is going on as you appear to have no grasp yourself.Do you require someone to walk along side of you to give analysis of the day to day events?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:16 am

SecretFly wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

See, this being rugby, that will never happen, so your comment is rather stupid.

It'll never happen? Why not? Are you going to stand in the way of progress and look to the past of a laughably old fashioned two half game? Get with the program, Jimpy - the Americans show us the way, the route to turning sport into showbiz and dropping those chimney pots onto couches. Don't go sticking your head in the dirt, embrace the future. Wink

Yes, a well thought out, structured and sensible argument.

I almost feel sorry for you.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:17 am

Jimpy try to keep to the comments you initially make, BTW... it's tough keeping up with you as you re-edit your way through trouble, strife and stupid people who should go away.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:19 am

Jimpy wrote:

Yes, a well thought out, structured and sensible argument.

I almost feel sorry for you.

Careful, your freedom-of-choice credentials begin to wilt.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:20 am

SecretFly wrote:Jimpy try to keep to the comments you initially make, BTW... it's tough keeping up with you as you re-edit your way through trouble, strife and stupid people who should go away.

So are you going to make a sensible argument out of this, or carry on making Richard Head comments about American Football?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:24 am

Jimpy wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Jimpy try to keep to the comments you initially make, BTW... it's tough keeping up with you as you re-edit your way through trouble, strife and stupid people who should go away.

So are you going to make a sensible argument out of this, or carry on making Richard Head comments about American Football?

My sensible arguments are above. But it your usual determination to look at the world through a ill tempered frown, you overlooked them all.

Opinions Jimpy. You have yours..other people have theirs. Remove the histrionic frown of contempt for every word that disagrees with what you say and you might even begin to have fun with a topic. It isn't a crime.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:26 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:

You reap what you sow...

The banality of your post and gross misrepresentation of my posts make clear your need of someone else to analyse what is going on as you appear to have no grasp yourself.Do you require someone to walk along side of you to give analysis of the day to day events?

Perhaps if you don't want your posts to be misinterpretred, you ought to write in English, or attend a course in English that would help you to present your work in such a way that will give disadvantaged people like me a fighting chance of understanding your dated drivel?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:36 am

Jimpy wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:

You reap what you sow...

Perhaps if you don't want your posts to be misinterpretred, you ought to write in English, or attend a course in English that would help you to present your work in such a way that will give disadvantaged people like me a fighting chance of understanding your dated drivel?
To a former English teacher this is music to my wifi connected ears Very Happy

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:56 am

TrailApe wrote:

If the answer to these is yes, then we have to fight for every £ that is out there and every couch potato that is flicking between the wall to wall dross that is on the TV at the minute.

In the UK the biggest sport is soccer. That’s it. Rugby Union is out there competing against a load of other sports fighting over the scraps of air time that are left. If we can make Union an attractive schedule filler (between the soccer) then we – as a sport- will get more money.

It’s as straight forward as that. And Union is NOT a simple sport, it’s like Shrek’s Onion, it has many layers and we have to explain to the couch potato - who cannot attend the soccer as he’s punched a horse and is under house arrest – what the hell all these huge guys are doing running around at high speeds hitting each other.

We don’t want this bloke at our games, but we want him to be a stat in the big media report that indicates to the media headsheds and the corporates that use the games to advertise, that it’s worth their ££££ going to Sky/BT/whoever as brain dead couch potatoes WILL watch Union. And the Brain Dead are often those that the Marketeers aim their messages at.

It's either that or stock up on your CD's of the recent 6N and Lions tours as they will be all that's left to you to watch on the box.
Having Will Greenwood highlighting the path of the ball that your eyes have just witnessed will hardly induce the couch potato to watch Rugby over Football.Football is a simple game that even the intellectually challenged can understand to a degree.
Rugby tends to attract higher socioeconomic groups so the marketing men at Range Rover and HSBC can target accordingly.Football attracts Knuckle Scrapers r Us or whoever to market their whares.A well targeted marketing campaign is more effective than a blunderbuss approach.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:07 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

You do realise that at the end of the Rugby is just entertainment, no different to any other form of entertainment.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:11 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:
TrailApe wrote:

Having Will Greenwood highlighting the path of the ball that your eyes have just witnessed will hardly induce the couch potato to watch Rugby over Football.Football is a simple game that even the intellectually challenged can understand to a degree.
Rugby tends to attract higher socioeconomic groups so the marketing men at Range Rover and HSBC can target accordingly.Football attracts Knuckle Scrapers r Us or whoever to market their whares.A well targeted marketing campaign is more effective than a blunderbuss approach.

Taff, your being a little unfair. You know aswell as anyone who watches the game we get more than a "highlighting the path of the ball".

Rugby isn't an easy sport to understand and so in order expand the fan base, things need to be explained.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:20 pm

nathan wrote:

You do realise that at the end of the Rugby is just entertainment, no different to any other form of entertainment.

I realise Rugby entertains me - yes.

You can enjoy the extras, Nathan (and the extras that may or may not come to European rugby) and I'll continue to say I'm not gone on many of them. That all this thread is. People saying they'd like the extras, other people saying they wouldn't need them and that they feel they'd distract from the game on the field.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:26 pm

SecretFly wrote:
nathan wrote:

You can enjoy the extras, Nathan (and the extras that may or may not come to European rugby) and I'll continue to say I'm not gone on many of them. That all this thread is. People saying they'd like the extras, other people saying they wouldn't need them and that they feel they'd distract from the game on the field.

Thanks for the overview of the thread that i've read! laughing

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:37 pm

Given that the production company doing BT rugby programs is the same as the ESPN one aren't we just going to see something similar to their program? So they would run through a few moves on the pitch (not just video clips) to show what teams are trying to do, etc. Also going into clubs and go through training practices, etc. Actually get some interesting information as part of the build up. People seem to be thinking that its all going to happen during the game, extra slow-mo slips and things like that. If it is anything like the ESPN coverage I'll be very happy and I much much prefer to the sky and BBC coverage.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:40 pm

nathan wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
nathan wrote:

Thanks for the overview of the thread that i've read! laughing

Well, some obviously need the overview as some seem to suggest BT would be changing rugby itself. Modernising it, making it more inclusive. Nope they wouldn't, they'd be adding 'entertainment' extras on the sidelines that the game itself will be oblivious to.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next