The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you?

+31
brennomac
RubyGuby
kingjohn7
Submachine
GunsGerms
bedfordwelsh
rainbow-warrior
Hound of Harrow
The Great Aukster
bazalicous
dragonbreath
GavinDragon
t1000advancedprototype
BristolDave
mckay1402
Taffineastbourne
kingraf
Rugby Fan
Notch
red_stag
westisbest
funnyExiledScot
Biltong
mystiroakey
Bathman_in_London
Scrumpy
rodders
offload
ScarletSpiderman
Jimpy
Portnoy's Complaint
35 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? (1 is high, 10 low)

On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_lcap27%On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 19 ]
On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_lcap3%On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_lcap10%On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 7 ]
On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_lcap3%On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_lcap13%On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 9 ]
On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_lcap6%On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 4 ]
On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_lcap6%On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 4 ]
On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_lcap10%On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 7 ]
On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_lcap9%On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 6 ]
On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_lcap13%On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 10 ]

Total Votes : 70

On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Empty On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you?

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 11 Apr - 14:35

I will take an interest. But it'll be below that of in order country (6ns), country (RWC), country (general internationals), club (European), club (domestic league).

Oi give it eight.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Empty Re: On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you?

Post by Jimpy Thu 11 Apr - 14:37

If there were a minus figure, i'd readily vote for it.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? Empty Re: On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you?

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 11 Apr - 14:39

To be honest I follow regions first and foremost. Then I follow, and care about international, however I take a keener interest in how lads form my region, lads who were at my region, and lads from my kneck of the woods are doing, as opposed to how some of the lads from other regions are doing. And then I take a serious interest in the Lions, but again I pay attention more to how the Welsh do on tour, then the Irish/Scots, and then the Lions as a whole.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 11 Apr - 14:45

Unashamedly I love the Lions. Each to their own - but frankly I don't understand how any real rugby fan doesn't love the Lions. The players from Aus SA and NZ really look forward to the tour and the home nations players still view the Lions as the pinnacle of their careers, so who are we to call it outdated. Can't wait.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 11 Apr - 14:48

I'd say just ahead of the RWC but just behind the Heino and Rabo League thumbsup.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 11 Apr - 14:48

Offload - my major issue with the Lions (and a lesser extend international) is that there tend to be a fair bit of politics involved in regards the touring side and test team selection.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 11 Apr - 14:50

Depends where the Lions are touring SA and NZ would come way ahead of Oz. so I'll sit on the fence with a 5
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu 11 Apr - 14:51

I think the Lions are great, the fact it happens so rarely makes it all the more exciting.

Put it another way, I can remember watching the tests for the 2009,2005,2001 and 1997 tours and where I was, who I was with etc.

Could I do the same for 6nations games during the same years? No chance.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 11 Apr - 14:53

offload wrote:Unashamedly I love the Lions. Each to their own - but frankly I don't understand how any real rugby fan doesn't love the Lions. The players from Aus SA and NZ really look forward to the tour and the home nations players still view the Lions as the pinnacle of their careers, so who are we to call it outdated. Can't wait.

Believe it or not, it is possible to be a 'real' rugby fan (whatever that old bloody cliche imeans) and dislike the Lions.

Perhaps it would be different if I were a player. I'm not, and none of us on this forum are (professional) players. Many people have sentimental attachments to traditions. Personally, I don't, and prefer to deal in pragmatism. I believe that in the context of professional rugby, the Lions is irrelevant and exposes valuable club players (yes, they are commodities in the cold light of day) to unecessary risk in what is already a very busy rugby calender.

And all the false bonne homme really sticks in my craw too.

It is just an opinion.

Last edited by Jimpy on Thu 11 Apr - 14:56; edited 2 times in total

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 11 Apr - 14:54

I'd put a proper simplification of the Laws as higher importance than a phoney 4x1 national Lions tour.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 11 Apr - 14:55

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Offload - my major issue with the Lions (and a lesser extend international) is that there tend to be a fair bit of politics involved in regards the touring side and test team selection.

SS - yes I agree with that, but for me it adds a bit of spice. In 2005 I think we lost the plot and in 09 got it back. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all levels of rugby (I still turn up to watch Pontypool, have a season ticket to the Dragons and go to the rec to watch Bath frequently) but I enjoy the banter that comes with the whole Lions experience.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Apr - 14:56

For almost all my life I would have said 1/10 because i never followed or watched it.

However i plumped for 4 this time. I am a lot more interested. And will be watching. Its entertainment at the end of the day!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 11 Apr - 14:56

offload - i guess there is a bit more of a sence of unity amongst the home nations when the lions are on, which is always a nice thing.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 11 Apr - 14:57

Bathman_in_London wrote:I think the Lions are great, the fact it happens so rarely makes it all the more exciting.

Put it another way, I can remember watching the tests for the 2009,2005,2001 and 1997 tours and where I was, who I was with etc.

Could I do the same for 6nations games during the same years? No chance.

Good point.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 11 Apr - 14:58

mystiroakey wrote:For almost all my life I would have said 1/10 because i never followed or watched it.

However i plumped for 4 this time. I am a lot more interested. And will be watching. Its entertainment at the end of the day!

So is the X Factor. Apparently.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 11 Apr - 15:00

Jimpy - you're right about one thing, it is just an opinion, but don't confuse my opinion with sentimental attachment or a lack of pragamitsm.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 11 Apr - 15:01

It's fun, it is rugby, I watch it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 11 Apr - 15:01

offload wrote:Jimpy - you're right about one thing, it is just an opinion, but don't confuse my opinion with sentimental attachment or a lack of pragamitsm.

And don't confuse mine with me somehow not being a 'real' rugby fan.

Get the point?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 11 Apr - 15:01

1 for me. The Lions is the pinnacle of the game in the NH.

Last edited by funnyExiledScot on Thu 11 Apr - 15:07; edited 1 time in total

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 11 Apr - 15:02

Well not really, I enjoy the Lions and love it when the SH nations beat them, it proves our strength.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 11 Apr - 15:03

funnyExiledScot wrote:10 for me. The Lions is the pinnacle of the game in the NH.

Since they havent won a series since 1997, you must be easily pleased...

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 11 Apr - 15:04

funnyExiledScot wrote:10 for me. The Lions is the pinnacle of the game in the NH.

Best you changed your vote then FeS.
Read the ballot paper.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 11 Apr - 15:05

greytiger wrote:

Read the ballot paper.

He's got a point, 1 would normally be a low score - right?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 11 Apr - 15:05

Jimpy wrote:
offload wrote:Jimpy - you're right about one thing, it is just an opinion, but don't confuse my opinion with sentimental attachment or a lack of pragamitsm.

Get the point?

No - you seem like someone who can start an argument with yourself in a phone box. Get over yourself.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 11 Apr - 15:08

offload wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Get the point?

No - you seem like someone who can start an argument with yourself in a phone box. Get over yourself.

Sigh...

I expressed an opinion that it appears, differs from yours. You subsequently implied that because of this, anybody who disliked the Lions wasn't a 'real' rugby fan.

This clearly isn't true, and I'm merely trying to explain this.

Why don t YOU 'get over YOURself?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 11 Apr - 15:08

Jimpy wrote:
greytiger wrote:

Read the ballot paper.

I have changed my vote.

Now I know what it must have felt like voting for George Dubya rather than Al Gore......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Apr - 15:10

1 is high- you what!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Apr - 15:10

i have to change mine to 6 now..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 11 Apr - 15:11

mystiroakey wrote:1 is high- you what!!

Its a cunning plan to make the Lions seem more popular than they actually are.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 11 Apr - 15:12

Jimpy wrote:
offload wrote:Unashamedly I love the Lions. Each to their own - but frankly I don't understand how any real rugby fan doesn't love the Lions. The players from Aus SA and NZ really look forward to the tour and the home nations players still view the Lions as the pinnacle of their careers, so who are we to call it outdated. Can't wait.

Believe it or not, it is possible to be a 'real' rugby fan (whatever that old bloody cliche imeans) and dislike the Lions.

Perhaps it would be different if I were a player. I'm not, and none of us on this forum are (professional) players. Many people have sentimental attachments to traditions. Personally, I don't, and prefer to deal in pragmatism. I believe that in the context of professional rugby, the Lions is irrelevant and exposes valuable club players (yes, they are commodities in the cold light of day) to unecessary risk in what is already a very busy rugby calender.

And all the false bonne homme really sticks in my craw too.

It is just an opinion.
how sure are you there are nobody here that has played rugby for money?

I have been payed to play rugby....

...well to be fair it was only 5 bucks. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Apr - 15:13

You would have to pay me at least a couple of grand to play rugby.. To hardcore for me at the mo

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 11 Apr - 15:16

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
greytiger wrote:

Read the ballot paper.

I have changed my vote.

Now I know what it must have felt like voting for George Dubya rather than Al Gore......

Cardinal and ordinal rankings are one thing.
Chewed chads another...

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 11 Apr - 15:23

Winning the 97 series wasn't as exciting as winning the 2003 RWC, but it will still live long in the memory banks.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 11 Apr - 15:43

I'll support Ireland first. 6N, RWC, AI'S.

Dont mind the Lions, Watch as much of it as I can when it comes round.

Actually have the DVD of the 09 series and despite the loss its a good watch.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 11 Apr - 15:44

Say a 5.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 11 Apr - 15:47

I got more entertainment from the 2009 Lions Tour to South Africa than I did from the 2009 Ireland Grand Slam Six Nations Campaign.

There is a fantastic sense of occasion though I agree with Vic above it very much hinges on the country of choice. South Africa and New Zealand are usually better than Australia.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 11 Apr - 15:49

red_stag wrote:I got more entertainment from the 2009 Lions Tour to South Africa than I did from the 2009 Ireland Grand Slam Six Nations Campaign.

There is a fantastic sense of occasion though I agree with Vic above it very much hinges on the country of choice. South Africa and New Zealand are usually better than Australia.

But thats arse about face 'cos Australia offer the Lions the least chance of getting their once four yearly humping.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 11 Apr - 15:53

But that isn't what I use to judge entertainment Jimpy. The midweek games are much better in those nations, they are much more rugby orientated than Australia and they have a better history of facing the Lions.

I still can't wait to head to Oz this summer but really winning and losing isn't the benchmark.

One of my favourite days supporting Munster in the Heineken Cup was in a semi final defeat in 2004. However I much preferred it to our semi final win in 2008.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 11 Apr - 15:56

red_stag wrote:But that isn't what I use to judge entertainment Jimpy. The midweek games are much better in those nations, they are much more rugby orientated than Australia and they have a better history of facing the Lions.

I still can't wait to head to Oz this summer but really winning and losing isn't the benchmark.

One of my favourite days supporting Munster in the Heineken Cup was in a semi final defeat in 2004. However I much preferred it to our semi final win in 2008.

Well, there is at least something I can be envious of you for.

On a side note, I've just read 'Stand Up And Fight' - when Munster beat the AB. Great book - and uncanny timing, as the Munster performance against Quins last week was almost a carbon copy of the spirit shown by the 1978 side.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 11 Apr - 15:58

Cheers Jimpy can't wait. Yes the spirit at the weekend was something else. Any match when we see that spirit from any team and I think its a good game thumbsup

Who'd have thought a non "real rugby fan" like you would be reading books about Munster. tut tut! Whistle
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 11 Apr - 15:59

I've given it 5/10.

Thing is though, thats me as a Lions fan. If you asked me to rate how much I was looking forward to the series as a rugby fan I'd say 10/10. I think it's brilliant.

They are not 'my' team in the same way Ulster or Ireland are, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying watching New Zealand or the RWC, or the Heineken Cup Finals or the Barbarians. In terms of love for the team, they're not that important to me.

In terms of love for the game I cannot wait for the Lions tour.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 11 Apr - 16:01

Biltong wrote:how sure are you there are nobody here that has played rugby for money?

I have been payed to play rugby....

I've been payed to stop!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Apr - 16:10

For me it's a 1.
A concept that suits the amateur era,real fans priced out of the tour and far to many tickets allocated before the venues have even been penciled in.

International rugby is becoming the same way to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 11 Apr - 16:11

Notch wrote:I've given it 5/10.

Thing is though, thats me as a Lions fan. If you asked me to rate how much I was looking forward to the series as a rugby fan I'd say 10/10. I think it's brilliant.

They are not 'my' team in the same way Ulster or Ireland are, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying watching New Zealand or the RWC, or the Heineken Cup Finals or the Barbarians. In terms of love for the team, they're not that important to me.

In terms of love for the game I cannot wait for the Lions tour.

But the cunning author of the article has engineered it so 10 is the lowest score... see what he did there? ;-)

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 11 Apr - 16:12

red_stag wrote:Cheers Jimpy can't wait. Yes the spirit at the weekend was something else. Any match when we see that spirit from any team and I think its a good game thumbsup

Who'd have thought a non "real rugby fan" like you would be reading books about Munster. tut tut! Whistle

I know, who'd have thunk it.... I wonder what 'real rugby fans' should be reading....

Any match where they show that kind of spirit, they're not going to lose, thats for sure.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 11 Apr - 16:14

viewtothegym wrote:For me it's a 1.
A concept that suits the amateur era,real fans priced out of the tour and far to many tickets allocated before the venues have even been penciled in.

International rugby is becoming the same way to.

Another one who fell into the scoring trap set by the author.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 11 Apr - 16:18

But the cunning author of the article has engineered it so 10 is the lowest score... see what he did there? ;-)
cf: vote reads:
On a scale of 1-10 how important are the Lions to you? (1 is high, 10 low)

just to make sure there'd be no lack of clarity.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 11 Apr - 18:45

If the Lions didn't exist, I doubt I'd be asking for then to be invented. I have no great desire to see some North vs South deathmatch, either at club or country levele. Sport isn't another branch or mathematics where we can solve a simultaneous equation if we just have enough inputs.

As an England supporter, the Lions tours can be frustrating becuse they take place in the middle of World Cup preparation. An Argentina tour isn't bad, but I wouldn't mind seeing how England would fare against the Big Three right now. If we did poorly, there'd be time to chage. If we did well, it would make for a good run-in to the cup. The other Home Nations sides would surely benefit from that kind of trajectory too.

Having said that, I love watching the Lions. The last tour was fantastic. In particular, I gained a greater respect for other team's players. You look at people differently when they are on your team.

(I can't see what I'm writing on this mobile screen, so apologies for spelling errors)

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 11 Apr - 19:01

Well, I will say Im currently a four. When they came to my neck of the woods I was probably a two. But that had more to do with the fact that SA were on fire 2009. World Champs. World #1, 3-0 sweep over NZ, Lions tour victors (Thank you ROG) if only we had a Grand Slam tour that year. Well, actually if only we could have won year-end.

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 11 Apr - 19:06

RugbyFan- Without any disrespect, NH teams dont seem to give a damn when they come down to the dirty South. Argentina are a challenge at home, in fact I think they could nick your full-strength team at home.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next