The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Broner not Ward is the heir to Mayweather!!

+12
azania
eddyfightfan
bhb001
Strongback
jimdig
milkyboy
Boxtthis
88Chris05
mobilemaster8
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
TRUSSMAN66
16 posters

Go down

Why Broner not Ward is the heir to Mayweather!! Empty Why Broner not Ward is the heir to Mayweather!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 12:20 pm

Two wonderful talents and helpfully to their cause American talents. Always helps when the lists are compiled.........

Difference is and will be that Broner is at a weight where he has the opponents to propel him forward......Difficult to see where Ward can enhance his glowing reputation.......Already beaten the best around......Cruiserweight nothing there!!! Hoppo past it!!.........Heavy?? too small..

Broner is also a more engaging character and more openly flashy in style.........We love a showman!!...

Khan........Mayweather.....Marquez......Paccy If he doesn't quit.......Garcia...Bradley......all in catchweight range...........Paulie is garbage but still a name unfortunately........

Broner is the heir apparent because it's always the opponents stupid........... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Why Broner not Ward is the heir to Mayweather!! Empty Re: Why Broner not Ward is the heir to Mayweather!!

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed 03 Apr 2013, 12:24 pm

Talent aside, the more I hear and see from Broner, the more I dislike him. No doubting his immense talent but he's an odious human being.

I'm (stupidly) following him on Facebook and he's been on a Pacquiao bashing rampage for the last couple of days. Posting some pretty nasty stuff and generally showing himself up.

P4P # 1...probably in the near future

Person I most want to see beaten...at that point right now

Back to top Go down

Why Broner not Ward is the heir to Mayweather!! Empty Re: Why Broner not Ward is the heir to Mayweather!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 12:28 pm

Certainly a love him or hate him guy..........

Felt the same about Nunn.............back in the day.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 03 Apr 2013, 12:32 pm

Although I agree with your reasons why he will be the heir apparent, I think that Broner is beatable whereas Ward isn't so that could go agaisnt him. Ward is far more likely to stay unbeaten like PBF but Broner will probably make more money

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 12:41 pm

I feel that Ward would get beat against Froch in Nottingham.

Dont know why, but the guy is an animal in his back yard as we saw against the likes of Mack and Bute.

Broner could literally wipe the floor with most of the talent in and around 135-147 i feel.

He is a powerful version of Mayweather.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 12:43 pm

Well, Broner's definitely got more lucrative fightsw against top class opposition available to him than Ward has right now, and has the added bonus of being able to campaign in more weight classes than Ward conceivably can.

That said, as WHU alludes to there are names in or around the Light-Welter and Welter divisions who could give Broner absolute hell and also beat him. Who, at either 168 or 175, is going to give Ward that kind of problem? Old man Popkins? The already-thrashed Dawson? The already-beaten Froch or Kessler? Pascal? Steiglitz? Cleverly!!!???

If Ward keeps winning and winning well then it's going to be hard to have him outside of the race for the top spot at the very least, so if Broner wants to get there then he's going to have to take some chances against the top, top names out there between 135 and 147. And while he could conceivably beat any of them right now, you'd have to imagine that he could just as easily come unstuck against a couple as well.

Broner is truly a scrot, though.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 12:55 pm

Timing is everything with Broner.............Like Norris he's getting Curry, Leonard, Mugabi, Taylor types past their best........

Result - eye catching victories...

Good points raised though...............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 03 Apr 2013, 1:05 pm

Yep it's almost a shame that Ward has already beaten the best LHW. A Dawson rematch at 175 may be a bit more intriguing later down the line, but only by a bit. He should go Roy Jones and take a HW belth once the K-bros retire. I'd actually fancy him to beat the likes of Povetkin, as crazy as that may sound to people.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 03 Apr 2013, 1:06 pm

Probably true truss, he gets hit though, so like Norris, there could be a Julian Jackson around the corner. It might not take that... Could just be a grinder who our works him like the poncemeister threatened to. Big talent though.

Big tool, too, though much of it is put on.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Wed 03 Apr 2013, 1:19 pm

There is noone around to push ward. Broner on the other hand has. History might be kinder on ward. At the moment he looks like a good boxer in an average division. Whereas the truth is he's a great boxer in a good division. His son of god tag can't make him too media friendly, a religious zelot will not appeal to the masses.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed 03 Apr 2013, 1:46 pm

jimdig wrote:a religious zelot will not appeal to the masses.

Yet sadly a brash, flashy, arrogant tool like Broner does.

good guys finish last Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 03 Apr 2013, 2:28 pm

I can't see Ward ever being in exciting fights. He is exceptional but his style is not made for PPV, might fall into the same bracket as Hopkins.

Broner on the other hand will put bums on seats. He's is good to watch but unfortunately he is going down the road of the lowest common denominator to get publicity. Most will watch to see him lose but he will be watched. He's more likely to be p4p no.1 than Ward I think. In fairness to him his talent deserves it even if he doesn't as a human being.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 3:08 pm

It was said in another thread that Chavez is a big middleweight once rehydrated; more like a cruiser weight was what the poster said. Is it ridiculous to hope that he steps up a division to take on Ward? If so, I'd expect Ward to win, but it may enhance his reputation a little and his call at being the heir to Mayweather.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 03 Apr 2013, 3:32 pm

bhb001 wrote:It was said in another thread that Chavez is a big middleweight once rehydrated; more like a cruiser weight was what the poster said. Is it ridiculous to hope that he steps up a division to take on Ward? If so, I'd expect Ward to win, but it may enhance his reputation a little and his call at being the heir to Mayweather.

Ward has called out Chavez when he steps up to 168. Ward knows that the only fighter atm that can get him onto a PPV that'll get him a bigger payday is Chavez

It would be pretty fun fight actually as Ward is very physical but he's just in a different league to Chavez and would easily out point him

Golovkin and Martinez might be game but they are perhaps just too small for there to be a real demand for those fights

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 03 Apr 2013, 8:32 pm

if ward could come down a division, its rich pickings, and there are a few names out there for him, hoppo would still sell, as would froch II.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 03 Apr 2013, 8:38 pm

Ward has been tested and came through with flying colours. Broner has cut a swathe through his opponents and not tested. This is not a RJJ style fighter who is leagues above his contemporaries but a very good fighter who has fought dross throughout his career and looked the business doing it.

He will come unstuck sooner rather than later.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 03 Apr 2013, 8:39 pm

I wouldn't call him an odious human being. He's just a kid trying to find a niche to sell himself to a wider market. He comes across as a nice kid when not brushing his hair.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 03 Apr 2013, 8:51 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:if ward could come down a division, its rich pickings, and there are a few names out there for him, hoppo would still sell, as would froch II.

Go DOWN a division you mean to MW? You know he fought at LHW in the Olympics? I don't think he could do it without being severely drained.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:06 pm

8lbs is not that much really, and even if he was weight drained, if he wants a huge fight he may need to, im sure a catchweight could be arranged to make it about a 5-6lbs loss needed.

other than that he would have to hope the MWs come up, but with ward there i can't imagine many MWs in a rush to move up.

dawson came down a division, so maybe he should.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:09 pm

Why don't the MWs come up? Losing 8lbs is bad enough. Why not an extra lb? Or 2?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:32 pm

8lbs of pure muscle is hard to lose, he's not coming into the ring with a high percentage body fat or anything is it,when you're in your peak physical condition, you try and run your body down 8lbs in 10 weeks or so and be in perfect condition come fight night. It is VERY hard. Otherwise, Ward would already be taking advantage of the size difference he would get coming down to that weight.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:19 pm

That's a great line Truss about it always being the opponents and in direct comparison to Ward then there is no contest.

I would love to see him in more even matches very soon though. He can't be held back too much longer otherwise, given the names you mention in and around his weight (plus a couple more) then he will get serious heat for ducking.

I don't like the guy though. Not because he's a prat on tv, as Az says, I have also seen interviews where he handles himself much better, but because his whole persona seems hell bent on being a mini Floyd. He even tries to sit like him in between rounds.

Come on man, have some originality.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:46 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:8lbs of pure muscle is hard to lose, he's not coming into the ring with a high percentage body fat or anything is it,when you're in your peak physical condition, you try and run your body down 8lbs in 10 weeks or so and be in perfect condition come fight night. It is VERY hard. Otherwise, Ward would already be taking advantage of the size difference he would get coming down to that weight.

it would be far from ideal, but if ward wants the big names, he may need to do so, i cannot imagine many boxers screaming to face ward, never mind stepping up.

an extra 8lbs maybe tougher than usual to cut, but not impossible by any strech. dawson is a fully fledged light heavy, yet dropped down to SMW and looked fine, and is already got a fight scheduled a lightheavy so can't have been that tough to move between weights affectively.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 04 Apr 2013, 7:34 am

eddyfightfan wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:8lbs of pure muscle is hard to lose, he's not coming into the ring with a high percentage body fat or anything is it,when you're in your peak physical condition, you try and run your body down 8lbs in 10 weeks or so and be in perfect condition come fight night. It is VERY hard. Otherwise, Ward would already be taking advantage of the size difference he would get coming down to that weight.

it would be far from ideal, but if ward wants the big names, he may need to do so, i cannot imagine many boxers screaming to face ward, never mind stepping up.

an extra 8lbs maybe tougher than usual to cut, but not impossible by any strech. dawson is a fully fledged light heavy, yet dropped down to SMW and looked fine, and is already got a fight scheduled a lightheavy so can't have been that tough to move between weights affectively.

He didn't look fine, what fight were you watching? He was clearly weight drained...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:15 am

The reason Broner is the true heir to Floyd is that he's a smarmy over confident little Tinkywinky that will build his career on the same pantomine villain thread that Mayweather did - PPV because so many people want to see the smirk smashed off his face.

And the only chance he has of surpassing Mayweather is if a truly great p4p#1/2 rival comes out when he's in his prime and he actually fights him rather than come up with reasons not to.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:48 am

didnt stop him making dawson do that.
thought it was a joke to be honest. ward claims to be the greatest but likes to have to many odds stacked in his favour for my liking.

if he was confident he would have moved up a weight and tried to be become a 2 weight champ.

id like the match up with him and chavez. chavez holds no bargaining power at middleweight and its well known he is naturally bigger than the weight so it should be at super middle.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:05 am

In fairness to Ward, nobody 'made' Dawson do anything. In fact, just about everything I've seen regarding that issue (including from Ward and Dawson themselves) suggests that it was Dawson who came up with the idea of coming down to 168 as he was confident he could make the weight with no issues. Ward has said repeatedly that, for the time being, he's a Super-Middle and nothing more, so if Dawson chose to contact Ward's team and offer to come down to 168 to fight him, Ward was never likely to refuse and on Dawson's head be it.

I'm not a fan of fighters moving back down in weight once they've been settled in a certain weight class for a few years, but if they feel they can make the weight and perform at it, then let them.

I agree that going back down to Super-Middleweight did Dawson no favours at all, but I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that he was outclassed by a superior fighter as well.

Anyway, Ward has joked that the only way he'll ever go down to 160 is if Mayweather comes up to Middleweight to fight him (he was joking, of course1) so it's pretty clear that if the Chavez, Golovkin and Martinez types want a crack at him they're going to have to move up. Golovkin and Martinez are a little small to be effective against a genuine and very strong Super-Middleweight like Ward for me (and neither are as good as him in any case), though I wouldn't mind seeing him tattooing Chavez Jr's face all night!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:17 am

Well, supposedly it was Dawson that told him that he would fight him at 168 and that he could make it fine. He was wrong.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:30 am

Broner is spectacular Ward isn't.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:37 am

davidemore wrote:Broner is spectacular Ward isn't.

What Ward has done is spectacular, Broner hasn't done anything "spectacular".

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:47 am

davidemore wrote:Broner is spectacular Ward isn't.

Spectacular against dross (plus De Marco) as opposed to dominating the best of 2 strong divisions.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:53 am

Give him time...Marquez, Pacman, Cotto, Garcia, Bradley...

Can't see them beating him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:07 am

Pac JMM and Cotto are all near as dammit retired so not really relevant (though I'd back 'peak' Pac and Cotto to be him anyway). Garcia and Bradley are pretty limited and don't really deserve to be mentioned alongside the other three, though I'd back Tim to give Broner problems.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:11 am

Cause they are relevant........They are great names to have on your CV.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:28 am

They're great names he won't have on his CV though...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:29 am

Money talks..................

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:47 am

So does sense, there's no chance that he will fight Pac, he's TR and Broners GBP... Cotto's at 154 and Broner has literally jumped two weight divisions.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:54 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Cause they are relevant........They are great names to have on your CV.....

Not if they're shot they're not. And that's presuming they're not retired by the time he gets there.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:15 pm

DelaHoya gets huge credit for Chavez....

People on here give Lewis great credit for Tyson.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:17 pm

Calzaghe's greatest legacy wins came against past their prime guys........

Eubank...Jones...Hoppo..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:DelaHoya gets huge credit for Chavez....

People on here give Lewis great credit for Tyson.........

Apart from Gordy, who actually gives Lewis massive props. Chavez still had something left, though almost certainly nowhere near the same force. I don't see anyone giving him massive props though.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:43 pm

JMM and Pacquiao are both TopRank, and now HBO only, fighters whereas Broner is GoldenBoy, Showtime only and with Al Haymon you would imagine that unless one of them need the money and run out their contracts at TR they'll never happen

You can add Bradley and Rios to that list too

Broner won't fight Mayweather, there too close now and Mayweather is just out of Broner league anyway

There are a lot of good names around but not the big names. Mayweather and Pacquiao didn't become huge stars untill after DLH and for Broner to be be like that he may have to fight Canelo who will undoubtably be a big money maker

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:54 pm

hatton also boosted both mens standing considerably i beleive

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:02 pm

Not just Gordy..........

King worked with Arum..........who gives a toss where money is at stake..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down