The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gatland

+9
gelodge
red_stag
Dontheman
majesticimperialman
100%beefy
Glas a du
Barney McGrew did it
SecretFly
welshboii15
13 posters

Go down

gatland Empty gatland

Post by welshboii15 Thu 21 Mar 2013, 5:52 pm

Every where I look there's people insulting gats but he's the best coach in the NH his record shows it 2 six nations 2008 and 2012 and a world cup semi-final what more has the guy to to prove the guy is up there with the best in the world. So any decent reasons why he shouldn't coach the lions if their not decent don't comment

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

gatland Empty Re: gatland

Post by SecretFly Thu 21 Mar 2013, 5:59 pm

I have a reason. I hope it's a decent one, let you decide. He's already damaged his feet in an accident. I don't want him anywhere near a bunch of Lions. He's used up all his luck.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Thu 21 Mar 2013, 6:02 pm

erm, haven't you heard - he is coaching the lions
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 21 Mar 2013, 6:03 pm

Because he chose Rowntree as forwards coach, and he is a moaning minnie.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Thu 21 Mar 2013, 6:04 pm

Well who else is there to pick

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Thu 21 Mar 2013, 6:06 pm

welshboii15 wrote:Well who else is there to pick

Jonno

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Thu 21 Mar 2013, 6:09 pm

Lets just accept it apart from Sean Edwards not going the right coaches are

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 21 Mar 2013, 6:16 pm

Yes i agree Gatland is the best coach in the NH, But too say he is one of the best in the world? Sorry but i disagree. Only coaches who have taken their team to and (won a rugby world cup )can claim to be the best in the world.

How ever he did take Wales to a semi final. so he is nearly their.

But now he is in charge of thee Lions tour too Australia. lets see how he goes with this. If he gets a win (the tournament) against the Aussies. Then i may change my mind.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 21 Mar 2013, 6:24 pm

welshboii15 wrote:Lets just accept it apart from Sean Edwards not going the right coaches are

I thought that until the recent unprofessional outbursts from Rowntree.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Thu 21 Mar 2013, 6:29 pm

Glas a du wrote:
welshboii15 wrote:Lets just accept it apart from Sean Edwards not going the right coaches are

I thought that until the recent unprofessional outbursts from Rowntree.

He and gats will be able to compare notes then
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Thu 21 Mar 2013, 6:30 pm

ok hes one of the best current coaches as SCW don't coach any more so can i really count him, Henry is doing what ever and to be honest ain't sure what the guy who won it with south africa but i think he is coaching in super 15. Robbie Deans is a good coach but not brilliant Steve Hanson i cant stand the bloke and don't rate him so IMO Gats is one of the current best i wouldn't say he's a great coach but i would say hes up there with the best current coaches.

ok so he didn't go about his business 100% the right way but that don't make him a bad coach

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Thu 21 Mar 2013, 6:51 pm

Graham Roundtree 54 England caps and 2 British and Irish caps im sure the guy has enough experience and hes also been the forwards coach for two second place finishes by England in six nations. what else do you want from a guy yea im sure the Lions could have picked martin Johnson as forwards coach but being the leader that he is would he have accepted the fact hes not the leader

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 21 Mar 2013, 7:26 pm

ok so he didn't go about his business 100% the right way but that don't make him a bad coach

Of course it does. He's in the psychology business and has shown a massive weakness.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Thu 21 Mar 2013, 7:28 pm

I thought the thing was that Jonno didn't have any coaching credentials or come to think of it ,experience. So if its another 'figurehead role' wouldn't MJ think ' been here before' once bitten twice shy.

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Thu 21 Mar 2013, 7:46 pm

Dontheman wrote:I thought the thing was that Jonno didn't have any coaching credentials or come to think of it ,experience. So if its another 'figurehead role' wouldn't MJ think ' been here before' once bitten twice shy.

it was enough to get him the england job...rwc winner....he is only lions skipper we have who has coaching experience.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 21 Mar 2013, 8:33 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Yes i agree Gatland is the best coach in the NH, But too say he is one of the best in the world? Sorry but i disagree. Only coaches who have taken their team to and (won a rugby world cup )can claim to be the best in the world.

But now he is in charge of thee Lions tour too Australia. lets see how he goes with this. If he gets a win (the tournament) against the Aussies. Then i may change my mind.

Why put the World Cup on such a pedestal.

In soccer Alex Ferguson has never won a world cup? Is he a better coach than most? Probably.

I dont rate Jake Whites 2007 World Cup win especially highly.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Mar 2013, 8:51 pm

red_stag wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:Yes i agree Gatland is the best coach in the NH, But too say he is one of the best in the world? Sorry but i disagree. Only coaches who have taken their team to and (won a rugby world cup )can claim to be the best in the world.

In soccer Alex Ferguson has never won a world cup? Is he a better coach than most? Probably.

What else does an Englishman have at the minute, but to crow on about the World Cup and/or a huge norovirus assisted win over the All Blacks? Given it's the last thing they won of note, it's bound to be classed as the only thing of importance in their eyes (I don't count 6 Nations wins, unless there's a Grand Slam involved).

Last edited by Risca Rev on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Thu 21 Mar 2013, 9:02 pm

Gatland has definitely got the best record of the NH international coaches, the concern lies in the inconsistency that between 2008 & 2012 Wales finished 4th 3 years running, and that in his 6 years in charge Wales have only beaten a top 3 side once. If he was really up there with the very, very best I think he would have a better record than that with the Welsh players he's had at his disposal.

For me one of his biggest issues is that he's not good at adjusting a side and tactics on the fly. If plan A doesn't work he doesn't adapt well enough, and against a side like Australia who are great at producing surprises I think that could be a critical failing.

The problem lies in with the addition of his experience of the Lions setup from the last tour (which meant he was always going to get the job), who else would do a better job than him? Most of the serious candidates would be gambles with no international experience or SH coaches with not enough understanding of the Lions. It's certainly understandable why those gambles weren't taken, my concern is that they might prove they were needed to pull it off against where the Aussie's strengths lie.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Mar 2013, 9:34 pm

gelodge wrote:Gatland has definitely got the best record of the NH international coaches, the concern lies in the inconsistency that between 2008 & 2012 Wales finished 4th 3 years running, and that in his 6 years in charge Wales have only beaten a top 3 side once. If he was really up there with the very, very best I think he would have a better record than that with the Welsh players he's had at his disposal.

For me one of his biggest issues is that he's not good at adjusting a side and tactics on the fly. If plan A doesn't work he doesn't adapt well enough, and against a side like Australia who are great at producing surprises I think that could be a critical failing.

The problem lies in with the addition of his experience of the Lions setup from the last tour (which meant he was always going to get the job), who else would do a better job than him? Most of the serious candidates would be gambles with no international experience or SH coaches with not enough understanding of the Lions. It's certainly understandable why those gambles weren't taken, my concern is that they might prove they were needed to pull it off against where the Aussie's strengths lie.

First paragraph is fair yeah. I do think Wales should have beaten the big three more during his time. I think the biggest issue is in the lot of the games, he hasn't needed to alter his tactics, as they generally do work v the Aussies (and against RSA in the RWC). The problem has been (for whatever reason), we generally cough up late scores v Australia which a lot of it I would attribute to the players more than the game plan etc. I think with extra quality players at his disposal, he will be able to have a few game plans (he certainly has mentioned this) and I would expect players like Robshaw, O'Driscoll etc to assist players like Warburton to close games out (if we are in a position that we are in the lead in any of the tests).

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 21 Mar 2013, 10:42 pm

Glas a du wrote:

Of course it does. He's in the psychology business and has shown a massive weakness.

Careful Whistle

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Fri 22 Mar 2013, 12:13 am

I just hope that we see Gatland looking at combinations that will work. A half back pairing of Laidlaw and Sexton might well fit the bill. Both good tactical kickers, and they don't mess around when an opportunity to attack is there. Full back, Halfpenny or Kearney.

BOD could make a real player of Tuilagi in the centre, as he did with Roberts in SA. Wings are looking like North and Cuthbert, but Gatland has said he likes Zebo. Maitland might also be a shout if BOD plays; a real 'natural' is Maitland.

The forwards need to win us enough good quality ball. If fit, O'Connell is a must in the 2nd row for ability and leadership. Plus either AWJ or Launchbury.

Front row is looking like Healy, an other* and A. Jones.

Back row. Where do you start? I think a combination of Robshaw, Warburton or Tipuric and Beattie would work well. Lots of options there, and a real strength for The Lions.

Gatland has been a master at developing tactics for one off finals, which the tests will be.

* I don't think any of the 2s in the 6N have really staked a claim.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Fri 22 Mar 2013, 12:39 am

I think that to beat Australia we need much more than a massive pack and bash centres

We need the massive destructive tight 5 so i favour Hibberd as his work in the loose is excellent...it's a tough shout on Best and of course both are up there amongst a paucity of real talent at 2.

I think Healy will pip Jenkins though either will do a great job. With Healey you get a firebrand but with geth, 4 6 Nations and Lions you get experience....if o Connell is not on the park I pick Gethin.

Jones is a shoo in, Cole was up there but his stock is now trading pretty low...10 pens in the 6 Nations does not help his case and he just got learned by Wales.

If fit POC and AWJ makes one hell of a pairing, experience, destructive power, good exponents of the lineout. its a big and technically proficient tight 5 all of whom can carry.

For me the Warbs Tips backrow was so outstanding that i expect to see it in the early games. Much as i like Robshaw on the back of that performance i don't think he will be Capt and therefore i don't think he is the best choice.

At 8 i like Morgan but for me the quiet industry of Faletau si remarkable. His work rate of carrying and tackling is immense and he even creates tries with multiple lateral sidesteps!

At 9 it has to be philips/youngs because they offer such diverse options...MP gets the nod.

Sexton or Farrell...sorry but OF has not created anything to warrant a start. No tries and the pressure got to him causing him to miss kicks. Sexton is the man for the job almost by default.

As far as a paucity of talent is concerned no where is this more obvious than 12/13. Yes you can get 11 and 14 to mix it up in midfield but really if BOD is fully fit and focussed then he HAS to play. For me JD2 or JR shoudl pair with him for experience sake and footballing skills. Manu is a strong contender but under pressure he missed a scoring pass. English inexperience is telling and these are one off finals. As an impact sub he could be awesome.

Like the backrow the back 3 is full of talent....for me Zebo has to play, audacious skill is the mark of confidence and in a big lumpy backline we want ballplayers. Bowe too for me fits that bill, but I think North has to start. He has been revelaed to have some weaknesses...looking for support and kicking ahead...but if the forwards can create enough quick ball to give him space he could be electric on aus turf. Cuthbert too but ther is a question mark ove him inspite of his 4/36 tries this 6 Nations. We can't afford errors. Halfpenny is a shoo in though hogg will play a part.

So my team based on 6 Nations form looks like this.

Healy
Hibberd
Jones
POC
AWJ
Warburton
Tipuric
Faletau
Philipps
Sexton
Zebo
Roberts
BOD
North
Halfpenny

bench
jenkins
best
Cole
Parling/Lunchbury
Robshaw/Heaslip
Youngs
Manu/JD2
Cuthbert/Hogg

Of course there is no English or Scots starting and I do not foresee that in relaity that will happen

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 22 Mar 2013, 8:34 am

I don't think there are any coaches currently employed that meet your definition? There are a few who have assisted coaches that have won a world cup.

But i certainly don't think Bristol coach Andy Robinson is the best in the world, though former Wales now NZ coach Steve Hansen might be.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 22 Mar 2013, 10:16 am

Jones
Hibbard
Healey
Ian Evans
Hines
Warburton
Faletau
Tipuric
Youngs
Sexton
BOD
Tuilangi
North
Cuthbert
Halfpenny

That's my Lions team thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 22 Mar 2013, 10:27 am

Risca Rev wrote:
red_stag wrote:

What else does an Englishman have at the minute, but to crow on about the World Cup and/or a huge norovirus assisted win over the All Blacks? Given it's the last thing they won of note, it's bound to be classed as the only thing of importance in their eyes (I don't count 6 Nations wins, unless there's a Grand Slam involved).

of course you don't, what a bitter comment.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 22 Mar 2013, 10:31 am

100%beefy wrote:I think that to beat Australia we need much more than a massive pack and bash centres

We need the massive destructive tight 5 so i favour Hibberd as his work in the loose is excellent...it's a tough shout on Best and of course both are up there amongst a paucity of real talent at 2.

I think Healy will pip Jenkins though either will do a great job. With Healey you get a firebrand but with geth, 4 6 Nations and Lions you get experience....if o Connell is not on the park I pick Gethin.

Jones is a shoo in, Cole was up there but his stock is now trading pretty low...10 pens in the 6 Nations does not help his case and he just got learned by Wales.

If fit POC and AWJ makes one hell of a pairing, experience, destructive power, good exponents of the lineout. its a big and technically proficient tight 5 all of whom can carry.

For me the Warbs Tips backrow was so outstanding that i expect to see it in the early games. Much as i like Robshaw on the back of that performance i don't think he will be Capt and therefore i don't think he is the best choice.

At 8 i like Morgan but for me the quiet industry of Faletau si remarkable. His work rate of carrying and tackling is immense and he even creates tries with multiple lateral sidesteps!

At 9 it has to be philips/youngs because they offer such diverse options...MP gets the nod.

Sexton or Farrell...sorry but OF has not created anything to warrant a start. No tries and the pressure got to him causing him to miss kicks. Sexton is the man for the job almost by default.

As far as a paucity of talent is concerned no where is this more obvious than 12/13. Yes you can get 11 and 14 to mix it up in midfield but really if BOD is fully fit and focussed then he HAS to play. For me JD2 or JR shoudl pair with him for experience sake and footballing skills. Manu is a strong contender but under pressure he missed a scoring pass. English inexperience is telling and these are one off finals. As an impact sub he could be awesome.

Like the backrow the back 3 is full of talent....for me Zebo has to play, audacious skill is the mark of confidence and in a big lumpy backline we want ballplayers. Bowe too for me fits that bill, but I think North has to start. He has been revelaed to have some weaknesses...looking for support and kicking ahead...but if the forwards can create enough quick ball to give him space he could be electric on aus turf. Cuthbert too but ther is a question mark ove him inspite of his 4/36 tries this 6 Nations. We can't afford errors. Halfpenny is a shoo in though hogg will play a part.

So my team based on 6 Nations form looks like this.

Healy
Hibberd
Jones
POC
AWJ
Warburton
Tipuric
Faletau
Philipps
Sexton
Zebo
Roberts
BOD
North
Halfpenny

bench
jenkins
best
Cole
Parling/Lunchbury
Robshaw/Heaslip
Youngs
Manu/JD2
Cuthbert/Hogg

Of course there is no English or Scots starting and I do not foresee that in relaity that will happen

D. Coles stock is pretty low, really?

The penalties come becuase he's pretty handy on the floor and wins more turnovers than some 7's. He got "learned", is that even english? Wasn't it Marler and Youngs who got penalised at scrum time? (some dodgy decisions too)

One thing i have noticed on here is how up and down peoples opinions are of players. A single bad/good game and there the best thing since sliced bread or rubbish.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down