The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most memorable moments in sport

+45
Roller_Coaster
RubyGuby
sirfredperry
JAS
Diggers
Danny
pedro
Nakatomi Plaza
dallym
Henman Bill
ShahenshahG
superflyweight
Hoggy_Bear
Poorfour
Lumbering_Jack
spencerclarke
Trebs
The Special Juan
Dolphin Ziggler
Duty281
navyblueshorts
incontinentia
turnip
BlueCoverman
Mad for Chelsea
Hibbz
Galted
Crimey
mystiroakey
NickisBHAFC
6oldenbhoy
McLaren
mckay1402
Barney92
Stella
Good Golly I'm Olly
dummy_half
sodhat
Rowley
JuliusHMarx
88Chris05
MIG
kwinigolfer
super_realist
hjumpshoe
49 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Most memorable moments in sport - Page 2 Empty Most memorable moments in sport

Post by hjumpshoe Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:21 am

First topic message reminder :

Inspired by the recent GOAT competition, and some of the awe inspiring achievements i read about there, i thought id try to find out what moments in sport posters remember most as being the most impressive, exciting or inspiring. These can be a one off performance or over the course of a tournament, championship or season. I dont mind if its from an individual or a team, just want to know what you good people consider to be your fondest sporting memories and why. Off the top of my head and to get this started ill put my thoughts forward:
Maradona's world cup
Carl Lewis in LA 84
Benn beating McClellan (Tragic ending but Benn showed amazing guts and spirit)
Messi in 2012
Bolt in Beijing 08
Arsenal's invincible season.
Brian Lara's WR innings.
Tiger Woods' 'Grand Slam'

Im sure there are many many more that ive forgotten or dont even know about. All sensible contributions are welcome.

hjumpshoe

Back to top Go down

Most memorable moments in sport - Page 2 Empty Re: Most memorable moments in sport

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Mar 2013, 3:34 pm

You think me calling you cynical is a pop at you. It was friendly banter. And we all get more cynical as we age! Its pretty standard

Blimey how sensitive are you?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Most memorable moments in sport - Page 2 Empty Re: Most memorable moments in sport

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 15 Mar 2013, 3:45 pm

Loads. Definitely agree with McClellan/Benn - tragic but I couldn't take my eyes off it.

Ashes 2005, Edgbaston, England win by 2 runs. Unbelievable match and Flintoff's gesture to Lee is still vivid in my mind.

England winning RWC 2003. Almost ruined by a useless referee and how Australia ever took it to extra time I don't know. Elton Flatley had some of the biggest balls to take it into ET as well with a penalty in the last minute or so of normal time.

Nicklaus tearing Augusta's back 9 to shreds in '86.

Nicklaus and Watson's 'Duel in the Sun' of '77. This got me into golf as a kid.

Martin Kaymer's putt on 18 to win last year's RC. Get in!

David Rudisha's 800m win at the London Olympics last year. Jaw-dropping.

Bolt in Beijing '08, especially the 100m. See above!

Derek Redmond, '92 Olympics. Injury-prone but in good form. Gets to semis of 400m but loses a hamstring ~200m out. Stops and then determined to finish. Dad helped him walk the last bit. Redmond in tears. Standing ovation when they crossed the line.

Many more I'm sure but there's a few to chew over.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 15 Mar 2013, 4:00 pm

Let's see, highs and lows that I've been alive for and can remember:

Highs

Ashes 2005
Liverpool's great escape in 2005
England winning the RWC in 2003
Super Saturday at the Olympics
First day of the boxing day test 2010
Germany 1-5 England
England beating Australia and France in the 2007 RWC
Europe winning the Ryder Cup 2012
Brian Lara 400
England no.1 Test team 2011
Taylor v Barneveld Final 2007

Lows

Cueto's disallowed try
Lampard's 'goal' v Germany 2010
Sol Campbell's disallowed goal v Portugal 2004
Zidane's two injury time goals at Euro 2004 v England
Penalties 2004/2006
Ashes 2006/7
England losing No.1 Test status
Andy Murray losing the WImbledon final 2012
South Africa 36-0 England

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 15 Mar 2013, 4:07 pm

Mo Farah winning his second race was also one of the best moments of the Olympics, the sheer pressure on him after the first race meant that I felt that race was even more of an achievement.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 15 Mar 2013, 4:22 pm

Duty281 wrote:...South Africa 36-0 England
Yeah. That wasn't good was it?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 15 Mar 2013, 4:28 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Duty281 wrote:...South Africa 36-0 England
Yeah. That wasn't good was it?

I've never an England rugby team so lost, so abject, and so clueless before or since.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Mar 2013, 4:56 pm

well it was actually very memorable and in a kind of good way. Because after that drubbing we got to the final! and almost won the whole thing!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 15 Mar 2013, 5:15 pm

Personally for me theres:

Ricardo Vaz Te doing this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR5SFwssCJI
Winston Reid doing this (ignore the music!) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5vL-9or-lI
Carlos Tevez doing this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNrs_q32Zuw

The best goal in Premier League history - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwL-QDZg2BY

The whole great escape with Tevez was incredible to watch.

Elsewhere, even though it still hurts that 2006 FA Cup Final was the best in modern times. I also went crazy for Liverpool in the 3-3, that was amazing.

The Ashes 2005 was amazing. And then Panesar and Anderson in 2009 holding on in Cardiff.

Kauto Star winning the Betfair Chase at Haydock in 2011. Written off again, produced an outstanding race. The King George later on was more historic but I dont think it was as emotional for Kauto fans.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 15 Mar 2013, 5:21 pm

mystiroakey wrote:well it was actually very memorable and in a kind of good way. Because after that drubbing we got to the final! and almost won the whole thing!
Yeah, maybe but that simply hid things that were obviously badly wrong in the England camp. They then wasted four years through 2011 and the pathetic behaviour in NZ. At least they look on the right track now.....even if they do lose tomorrow!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Mar 2013, 5:27 pm

Yep back on track. Massive game!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 15 Mar 2013, 6:01 pm

chris.wilkerson13 wrote:Personally for me theres:

Ricardo Vaz Te doing this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR5SFwssCJI
Winston Reid doing this (ignore the music!) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5vL-9or-lI
Carlos Tevez doing this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNrs_q32Zuw

The best goal in Premier League history - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwL-QDZg2BY

The whole great escape with Tevez was incredible to watch.

Elsewhere, even though it still hurts that 2006 FA Cup Final was the best in modern times. I also went crazy for Liverpool in the 3-3, that was amazing.

The Ashes 2005 was amazing. And then Panesar and Anderson in 2009 holding on in Cardiff.

Kauto Star winning the Betfair Chase at Haydock in 2011. Written off again, produced an outstanding race. The King George later on was more historic but I dont think it was as emotional for Kauto fans.

Another excellent goal by the provider of that Di Canio goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVcIR6ftJuk

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 15 Mar 2013, 6:02 pm

Mine is easy.

"History is made.... at the US Open."

I get goosebumps whenever I hear Mark Petchey saying that. It didn't feel real at the time and the few days after were just wonderful. I'm smiling thinking about it. Nothing else gets close to it for me; not the CL final of 2008 or the Michael Owen goal against City or John Higgins' 2011 World Championship.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Fri 15 Mar 2013, 6:21 pm

Jenson Button - 2011 Canadian Grand Prix
Ronnie O'Sullivan - 2012 Snooker World Championship
Danny Welbeck - England 3-2 Sweden (Euro 2012)
England Rugby Team - World Cup 2007
Usain Bolt - 2012 Olympics
Andy Murray - 2012 Olympics

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:16 pm

Champions league final in 99. The game was over in most peoples eyes. United hadnt been at the races all night.

Ive only ever been to watch snooker twice and the second time I saw ronnie get a 147 in just over six minutes at preston in the lg cup.

Super saturday in the olympics. I was visiting friends down south having been to a few events and it just topped off a fantastic summer.

Beckhams free kick against greece. I can still see all the pints getting thrown into the air I celebration on my mate falling over having slipped on beer.

The ryder cup 12 I actually spent seven hours listening to the final day on theradio. Never actually thought id do that!!

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:42 pm

super_realist wrote:I too find the rampant support of a team in which you can have no influence is such a big part of peoples lives a little strange.

But pulling yourself off over tennis isn't?

Football is one of those things that you need to experience in order to understand. I don't think I have ever been happier than when Newcastle score against the Mackems...

Try it.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:02 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
super_realist wrote:I too find the rampant support of a team in which you can have no influence is such a big part of peoples lives a little strange.

But pulling yourself off over tennis isn't?

Football is one of those things that you need to experience in order to understand. I don't think I have ever been happier than when Newcastle score against the Mackems...

Try it.

Steady, it was an inspirational moment and a momentous sporting occasion. Not the trudgery of a wet saturday at Stockport v Gillingham.
I wasn't sitting at home with a Croatian strip on and waving a flag.

I've been a football fan before, but realised there were better things to be doing than sitting in the freezing cold watching other people play every week. In other words, I grew out of it. Run

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:05 pm

I never could go to many football games anyway. Because I would much rather play golf on a saturday.

Anyway do you agree with Hibbz's assesment. That all follower's of a sporting team are tribal fans?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:09 pm

Carl Lewis beating Leroy Burrel for the men's 100m title at the world champs in Tokyo. Burrell had been the world record holder and beaten Lewis in most of the major track meets throughout the season. In the final Lewis got off to his customary bad start but then glided thorough to win a new WR.

Mike Powell vs Lewis in the long jump at the same competition.

Such a shame Lewis was outed as a druggy.

Federer winning his lone French Open having battled through two five setters and a four setter.

Federer winning W 2012.

Michael Johnson's 19.32 in Atlanta.

Man U beating Bayern Munich (even though I'm not a Man U fan)

Liverpool beating Milan.

Steve Davis losing to Stephen Hendry at the UK champs final in 1992.

Steffi Graf winning her last slam at the FO in 1999.

So many more...

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:11 pm

Now golf, there is a sport I've never understood. To watch it is deathly boring and playing it is essentially like taking a walk. I walk my dog, I enjoy it and mange to save thousands on golf bats and membership fee's.

What about the Liverpool/Newcastle games? Soul destroying as a Newcastle fan but they are iconic.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:11 pm

Nadals seventh french open win

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:13 pm

Probably the best games the premiership has seen jack. To be in the same fixtures twp years running and after evans said ot would never happen again, twas staggering

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:15 pm

Golf Bats!!

laughing

Liverpool/ newcastle games are just another half decent game pal.

Nothing special.

High level CL games are my main footy games to be honest. But then I have never supported a team propally. My team is palace and I love to see them do well. But thats about it.

Palace/ Brighton on sunday. That will be a cracker of sorts...(well especially to brigthon fans- who like to see Palace as the main rival)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:26 pm

Best Footie game ever?

Has to be Milan vs Liverpool. For Liverpool to come back against let's face it, a superior side was just mental.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:26 pm

Newcastle vs Liverpool at that time was a very high level game, we were chasing the title and the avoiders weren't far behind from memory.

To call them half decent is just plain wrong, they were voted the greatest games the premier league had ever seen.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:29 pm

How many footy fans would have turned off that game at half time..

I was playing pool in a snooker club at the time. And to be honest if i was at home watching it i wouldn't have watched the rest!

Amazing game. deffo top 5 games I have ever seen. If not the best ever

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:30 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Now golf, there is a sport I've never understood. To watch it is deathly boring and playing it is essentially like taking a walk. I walk my dog, I enjoy it and mange to save thousands on golf bats and membership fee's.

What about the Liverpool/Newcastle games? Soul destroying as a Newcastle fan but they are iconic.

To say playing golf is like walking the dog is similar to saying playing football is like going for a run. I go for a run, I enjoy it and I've managed to save thousands of brain cells by not having to resort to naff mannerisms like spitting or using affected sayings like "square it", "man on" or "putting in a shift".

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:31 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Newcastle vs Liverpool at that time was a very high level game, we were chasing the title and the avoiders weren't far behind from memory.

To call them half decent is just plain wrong, they were voted the greatest games the premier league had ever seen.

Was the game were shearer scored 3 or 4 goals in the last 30 minutes v Liverpool.

That was something else!!

But I was talking about in the present

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:32 pm

Oakey

Vs Leicester in 1997
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:32 pm

Ta Stella..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:56 pm

Boris Becker winning Wimbledon in 1985
Ivanesevic's second serve when match point down against Chris Bailey in 1992 (I think. Might have been 91)
Beckham vs Greece
Redgrave's 4th Gold ("If you see me near a boat again, you have my permission to shoot me")
Jessica Ennis's 2012 800m
The Ball from Hell
Any of Usain Bolt's golds

But mostly it's rugby:
Dan Luger's 89th minute try vs Australia
RWC 2003
Quins v Stade Francais, 2009
Munster v Quins, 2011
Aviva Premiership Final 2012, especially Robshaw's try and the final scrum
Lions 1997
NZ v England 2003, England v NZ 1993 and 2012
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Sat 16 Mar 2013, 12:39 am

A few personal faves

Dennis Amiss vs WIndies 1976
Aresenal 3 Man Utd 2 FA cup final 1979
Willis' 8/43 at Headingly in '81
MacEnroe's demolition of Connors in 1984
Torvill and Dean's 'Bolero' in the same year
Botham hitting the first ball he faced for 6 at Edgbaston in 1985
Coventry winning the FA cup 1987
Reeve and Din winning the Natwest trophy for Warks in 1993
England 4 Holland 1 Euro '96
Darren Carter's winning penalty in the play-off final 2002
Ashes 2005
Ashes 2010-11
Birmingham City winning the League Cup 2011

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Sat 16 Mar 2013, 7:16 am

88Chris05 wrote:Not a great sporting moment in itself, but one of the greatest spectacles I've seen; Spain 4-3 Yugoslavia at Euro 2000. Absolutely sensational match with an otherworldly comeback by Spain which made the difference between them getting to the quarter finals and crashing out. An absolute classic. Anyone else remember it?

One of the great international matches that, Chris and one the few times that John Motson's commentary lived up to his billing. Was it Alfonso that scored the winner?

My first great sporting memory was Davie Provan scoring a free kick in the '85 Scottish Cup Final for Celtic against Dundee United. Archie Macpherson's commentary has stayed with me -

"Only twice before has a goal been scored direct from a free kick in a final. Is this a piece of history?... It is!"

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:22 am

Tiger Woods. U.S. Open. 2008. 72nd hole. Clutch putt. Iconic.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLWYnTFz9PE

25 -35 seconds

Two moments in one

Brilliant left hook and then He justs gets up like he tripped over.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 10:38 pm

I'll also never forget Scotland beating France home and away in the football
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 17 Mar 2013, 1:09 am

I think I am going your title literally (rather than the explanation that followed) – “moments” i..e an entire match or even tournament is not a moment, so…from my life of watching…

Crystal Palace scoring the winning goal to beat Liverpool 4-3 in 1990 in the FA Cup semi final and cap a memorable match.

David Platt world cup goal vs Belgium in 1990. In the last minute…. of extra time.

Tim Henman’s 2nd ace to save a 2nd match point against Kafelnikov – R1 Wimbledon 1996 – it’s the precise moment Henmania was born.

Gazza’s goal against Scotland in Euro 1996 – especially coming on the back of a Seaman penalty save – the celebration mimicking drunken antics looks a bit sad now that he continues to have alcohol problems.

Mark O’Meara’s Masters winning shot – for his first major in 1998 – with 3 birdies from the last 4 holes – to win by one shot – several people before him had misjudged the shot and seen it curve away, his curved away but still just slipped in. Great late afternoon weather and the rise of the crowd.

Henning Berg last minute stretch for an off the line clearance with the end of his boot vs Inter Milan at Old Trafford in 1999. Of the many moments that were needed to win the treble, it was the least remembered but no less important.

Ryan Giggs goal against Arsenal in 1999 FA Cup semi at Villa park, complete with Andy Gray commentary “and when he needed a finish..”. All the more special after the great Bergkamp penalty save from Schmeichel earlier.

Solksjaer winning goal 1999 Champions league final.

Jean van de Velde standing in the water at the 1999 Open debating whether to play a shot from just under the water. Still think it was worth the risk – best he could hope for otherwise was the 3-way playoff he lost. Sadly, he got a triple bogey 7 on the final hole when a 6 would have won the trophy, while Lawrie had to hit over the water in the play off to claim the trophy in another iconic moment.

Kelly Holmes 800m in 2004 – going head to head with Mario Mutola at the end.

Gerrard FA Cup final goal vs West Ham 2006.

Zidane head butt – 2006 world cup.

Phelps vs Cavic – reach for the wall 2008 Olympics.

Roger Federer’s inside out forehand to turn a match against Tommy Haas in 2009, leading to him going on to win the French Open and complete the four majors.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Sun 17 Mar 2013, 3:37 am

If we're talking RWC then
'87 Blanco's try
'95 South Africa win the final
'99 the French comeback in the semifinal

SOO
'04 game 3 - Fittler's perfect farewell
'05 game ?? - Joey's perfect game
'11 game 2 - Gallen's 10/10 and Mini's comeback try

NRL
'75 Grand Final Changa wears white boots
'81 Grand Final Ding Dong the witch is dead
'99 Grand Final Penalty Try
'05 Grand Final Benji's flick pass

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Sun 17 Mar 2013, 9:26 am

A few of my personal favourites

Tony Adams scoring the fourth goal against Everton to seal Arsene Wenger's first premier league title - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnFKRATIKUI

Michael Thomas scoring the ultimate title decider at Anfield in 1989 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFo1eyWbTtc

Lewis Hamilton clinching the F1 world title in Brazil in 2008

Mitchell Johnson's first ball duck at the SCG in 2011.

Frank Bruno winning the WBC heavyweight title against Oliver McCall in 1996

Britain's 4*400m men relay team winning gold at the world championships in Tokyo.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 17 Mar 2013, 10:57 pm

England "goal" vs West Germany, WC 1966
Bob Beamon, 1968 Olympics
Kuwait vs France WC 1982, when the sheikh walks in
West Germany vs Austria WC 1982, both needing a draw
"God's Hand" WC 1986 + Maradona other goal vs England
Ben Johnson 1988 Olympics
Rene Higuita, scorpion save, friendly vs England, ~1994
Roberto Carlos free kick 1998
Man Utd vs Bayern, 1999 CL Final
Jean Vande Velde, Golf, British Open 1999
Justin Leonard vs JM Olazabal, Golf, Ryder Cup 1999
Liverpool vs Milan, 2005 CL Final

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:23 pm

A couple that seem to have escaped mention -

Warne to Gatting - Ball of the century. There has never been a more perfect delivery bowled in Test cricket. Gatts did nothing wrong, he put the bat where the ball should have been and it simply wasn't there any more.

Jonah Lomu on Mike Catt in the RWC semi final in 95. He was just an absolute bulldozer in that game.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Mon 18 Mar 2013, 7:54 am

Heres some of mine-

Desert Orchid winning the gold cup - The heart shown by the horse to win the race when everything was against it.

Eubank v Watson - To me, although the aftermath was unfortunate, the uppercut thrown by Eubank having just got off the floor and totally exhausted is the best punch I've ever seen

John Lowe 9 darter - Not live, but I missed this cos I went out to play football. Never forget my dad coming onto the balcony and shouting for me!

Liverpool v Chelsea CL SF 2005 - The tension as a Liverpool fan was unbelievable.

Owens goal v Argentina - Remember just going mental

Faldo coming from 6 shots behind to beat Greg Norman to the Masters title

And most recently, although it never happened, when Michael Van Gerwen was going for his 2nd 9 darter in 2 legs. Even my wife was hyped with the attempt!

Danny

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:01 am

That masters was something else wasnt it.

As much as I loved Faldo in the day(he was the main reason I played golf).

Even I felt a bit gutted for Norman..

Norman = best ever golfer with only 2 majors

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:11 am

The 'five minute' final in 1979, when Alan Sunderland scored in the last seconds, after Utd had come back from 2 down.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:53 am

Probably the first real one for me was Coe v Ovett in Moscow. I was 13 and a massive Ovett fan, remember even now racing to finish my paper round to get home in time for the start of the races.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 18 Mar 2013, 12:25 pm

The great Brazilian team taking Italy apart in the 1970 WC final.
Ali Foreman rumble in the jungle
Red Rum winning his 3rd national
Nicklaus/Watson duel in the sun at Turnberry
Nicklaus in the 86 masters
Lyle winning the 88 masters (nearly cancelled out by the most uncool celebration I think I've ever seen)
Greg Lemond taking the Tour de France on the Champs Elysses by 8 secs
Watson at the 2009 Open at Turnberry (regardless off the final result it was hairs on the back of the neck stuff when he had the putt that could have won it.
Borg McEnroe 1981,
Becker winning Wimbledon as an unseeded 17 year old in '85
Federer/Nadal final in '08
Redgraves 5th Olympic gold
Finally one which won't appeal to many but was a biggie to me..Helicopter Sunday (When Rangers snatched the title from Celtic in the dying seconds of the 2002/2003 season)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 18 Mar 2013, 2:52 pm

Ones I was there for.

1. England winning World Cup at Wembley in 1966 (I was behind the ball-over-the line goal)
2. England eliminated from World Cup in failing to beat Poland at Wembley in 1973 (one of the most electrifying matches I've ever seen even though deeply disappointing)
3. Ann Jones beating B-J King to win Wimbledon in 1969
4. Roger Taylor beating Rod Laver at Wimbledon in 1970
5. Spurs beating Anderlecht on penalties to win the 1984 Eufa Cup

Ones I saw on TV
1. Mo winning the second of his golds at the London Olympics (one of the most exciting sporting events ever)
2. Rafa Nadal beating Rog Federer in the epic 2008 Wimbledon final
3. A 3-2 semi-final victory by France in the 1984 Euro championships, described by Bobby Charlton as one of the greatest internationals he'd ever seen and one that sent Motty into raptures

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 18 Mar 2013, 3:07 pm

For ones Ive seen live.....
Benn v McClellan, surely the most brutal fight to take place in the UK as the end result sort of proved.
England 4 Holland 1, Euro 96. Best dispay from an England team since 66 ? Though beating France in 82 must be up there, that was a great French team.
Rudisha winning the 800 in London, breaking the world record front running...you just dont do that in an 800, be broke all the rules.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 18 Mar 2013, 3:28 pm

Sir Fred,
Was that you in front of me obscuring my view at the 1973 England / Poland debacle?

And nothing about Spurs beating Pompey in the Cup a few years before? Tut tut!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 18 Mar 2013, 3:32 pm

Hibbz wrote:Psycho's penalty against Spain in '96.

Ah, now there's a great sporting moment, even if the fact that Psycho is one of my football idols does make me a little partial!

Speaking of Forest (well, kind of), a great personal sporting moment for me came when we beat West Ham 2-1 at the City Ground in September 2004. This was our first league match (and first home game of any kind) since Cloughy had died a few days before; in tribute, the stands were absolutely packed with our biggest and noisiest crowd in years, and there was also a tribute parade before the game featuring a load of old Forest legends. The Sky cameras were there as well, so the atmosphere was absolutely brilliant.

Also, Forest were second to bottom of the Championship at the time and were yet to record a league win that season, so there was a really tribal kind of 'Let's win it for Cloughy' feel to the day.

Anyway, Forest trailed 1-0 (Forest old boy Marlon Harewood, of all people!) with just five minutes of normal time left, before Paul Evans drove in a hard, low equaliser from the edge of the box. The atmosphere and tension was absolutely huge as we pushed for the winner and, when Eugen Bopp blasted over in injury time, I thought we'd have to settle for a draw.

And then, with literally the very last move of the game, Bopp put our centre forward (who'd been copping a lot of flak from the media and fans alike for his lack of goals and application) through on the left with just one defender between him and the goal. He took the ball in on his right, took that one vital touch that got him half a yard across the centre half, and let a curling shot go from just outside the area. I remember it as if it was happening in slow motion - and the ball crept past West Ham's keeper and just inside the post to win a seriously tense and emotional match for Forest.

I've never felt a sense of elation like it at a football match, and never heard a Forest crowd so loud and wild as it was when that goal went in, and when the final whistle went virtually as soon as the game resumed. No word of a lie, grown men were crying around me. An amazing day for me and the sort of thing you dream of when you're sixteen years old, as I was at the time.

The only down side to it all was that the centre forward in question was a certain Marlon King, and that Forest still got relegated that season (including a 0-3 tanning at home against Plymouth Argyle which was, along with our 0-4 defeat to Leicester in last season's League Cup, the single worst Forest performance I've ever seen)....But I guess you can't have it all ends up!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 18 Mar 2013, 4:13 pm

Forgot Coe winning his 1500m golds, both great comebacks (after the 800m defeat by his arch rival in Moscow. In LA after all his injury/illness in the intervening years.
Also, what was the 1500m race where GB took a clean sweep of the medals?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next