The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most memorable moments in sport

+45
Roller_Coaster
RubyGuby
sirfredperry
JAS
Diggers
Danny
pedro
Nakatomi Plaza
dallym
Henman Bill
ShahenshahG
superflyweight
Hoggy_Bear
Poorfour
Lumbering_Jack
spencerclarke
Trebs
The Special Juan
Dolphin Ziggler
Duty281
navyblueshorts
incontinentia
turnip
BlueCoverman
Mad for Chelsea
Hibbz
Galted
Crimey
mystiroakey
NickisBHAFC
6oldenbhoy
McLaren
mckay1402
Barney92
Stella
Good Golly I'm Olly
dummy_half
sodhat
Rowley
JuliusHMarx
88Chris05
MIG
kwinigolfer
super_realist
hjumpshoe
49 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Most memorable moments in sport - Page 3 Empty Most memorable moments in sport

Post by hjumpshoe Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:21 am

First topic message reminder :

Inspired by the recent GOAT competition, and some of the awe inspiring achievements i read about there, i thought id try to find out what moments in sport posters remember most as being the most impressive, exciting or inspiring. These can be a one off performance or over the course of a tournament, championship or season. I dont mind if its from an individual or a team, just want to know what you good people consider to be your fondest sporting memories and why. Off the top of my head and to get this started ill put my thoughts forward:
Maradona's world cup
Carl Lewis in LA 84
Benn beating McClellan (Tragic ending but Benn showed amazing guts and spirit)
Messi in 2012
Bolt in Beijing 08
Arsenal's invincible season.
Brian Lara's WR innings.
Tiger Woods' 'Grand Slam'

Im sure there are many many more that ive forgotten or dont even know about. All sensible contributions are welcome.

hjumpshoe

Back to top Go down

Most memorable moments in sport - Page 3 Empty Re: Most memorable moments in sport

Post by Hibbz Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:35 pm

Obviously one for the unmemorable thread JAS.

Here's another for my list of unhappy memories.

Langer missing at Kiawah Island leading to the great photo of the silent scream.

http://www.kiawahresort.com/blog/kiawah-island/files/2012/09/Bernhard-Langer-Kiawah-Island-1991-agony_2818727.jpg

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Most memorable moments in sport - Page 3 Empty Re: Most memorable moments in sport

Post by RubyGuby Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:04 pm

I was at the Baa Baas v NZ game in 1973 as a 10 year old - It was great then but on reflection I had no idea what I was witnessing - still have so many vivid memories of being pushed up against the green railings in the South Enclosure right on the half way line. Grant Batty was a fire cracker that day thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:55 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Sir Fred,
Was that you in front of me obscuring my view at the 1973 England / Poland debacle?

And nothing about Spurs beating Pompey in the Cup a few years before? Tut tut!

Kngolfer - Didn't see that Spurs-Pompey match but I recall nearly 58,000 did and saw Spurs win 3-1. Less happily I was at Wembley for the Pompey 2-0 win in the cup semi a couple of years ago.
As for the infamous England-Poland game I was behind the goal and it was one of the most unbelievable matches I've ever seen. On another night England would have scored 10. Most remember Kevin Hector's effort being cleared off the line in the last minute.
We all thought Poland were hopeless and it was some consolation when they did REALLY well in the subsequent WC finals in 1974.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:59 am

QPR beating Liverpool 3-2 in the 1986 Milk Cup semi final. That cemented my mind on the club I'd follow for the rest of my life. Surely any club that could beat the (then) mighty Liverpool over 2 legs in a competition they'd dominated in recent years would be a certainty for future consistent success.

Ahem.

The other thing that sticks out in my mind very bizarrely and I don't know when it was but it was Agassi at I believe Wimbledon. Whoever he was playing tw@tted a forehand and Agassi simply stuck his racket out, rapidly twisted the head and caught the ball plum in the middle of the racket where it stayed. Absolutely staggered at the control.

Not the biggest or best moments in world sport but then my head is a weird little place.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Two things:

1. Rugby Union: Whenever New Zealand wins the rugby World Cup.

2.Rugby League: State of Origin 1, 1994. in the 79th minute Queensland scored a length of the field team try to win the match.as Ray warren the commentator says "thats not a try- Thats a miracle".
For anyone that hasnt seen it take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0YDW-_kIGM

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:03 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:2.Rugby League: State of Origin 1, 1994. in the 79th minute Queensland scored a length of the field team try to win the match.as Ray warren the commentator says "thats not a try- Thats a miracle".
For anyone that hasnt seen it take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0YDW-_kIGM

A great State of Origin moment, that, even though I used to root for New South Wales when I started following the sport a few years down the line, as I was a massive fan of Johns and Fittler!

The legend that is Wally going crazy in the stands, too.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Any of the fights in state of Origin, could go down as pretty memorable moments in Sport.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:10 pm

Tennis: Agassi's retirement speech at USO'06, not a dry eye in the house
Non-tennis: winning goal Man U vs Bayern Munich 1999 Champions League
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:25 pm

My first sporting memory is the reaction of my school hall as this goal went in, in game 8. I can't even remember the goal clearly, or any other part of the game - just the absolute pandemonium as Team Canada scored. This clip shows what it meant to a whole country. I'd never watched it back before - I'm getting a bit emotional Smile
:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lXDMA_bZZw

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:37 pm

Liverpool at Istanbul. Quite simply the most incredible comeback at one of the biggest football matches possible in the World game.

3-0 down at half time and being completely murdered, Rafa Benitez made an inspired move to play 12 men until it was pointed out to him in the dressing room. On came Didi Hamann, Jerzy Dudek made one great save from a Shevchenko free kick to prevent 4-0, and Steven Gerrard's response to getting a goal was to shout up not just his teammates but the fans.

Gerrard later switched to right back to contain the Milan substitutions and performed brilliantly, Dudek made his miracle double save from Shevchenko in the dying minutes and then put the Milan players off in the penalty shoot out with his 'starfish' antics.

A penalty shoot out win is never the most satisfying, but it completed a most staggering recovery. It's hard to see this ever being capped as a dramatic comeback at the highest level.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:56 pm

With the news of owens retirement it got me thinking of the 1-5 germany v england. I remember arranging to get out of work early. I raced to the local pub, there was just a little tv and the place was packed. Someone left from right in front of the tv just before kickoff and I grabbed the bar stool. Seven or eight pints during such a fantastic game and I had to check that the score was right the following day. Memorable, patchy, but memerable!

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:57 pm

With the news of owens retirement it got me thinking of the 1-5 germany v england. I remember arranging to get out of work early. I raced to the local pub, there was just a little tv and the place was packed. Someone left from right in front of the tv just before kickoff and I grabbed the bar stool. Seven or eight pints during such a fantastic game and I had to check that the score was right the following day. Memorable, patchy, but memerable!

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:41 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:42 pm

Huh Shocked

What the hecks going on!

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:00 pm

emancipator wrote:Huh Shocked

What the hecks going on!

ghost

emancipator

BOO

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:07 pm

Do not fear oh minions as always I remain alert for the presence of BOO and his sidekick Spaghetti.

You are all safe.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:35 am

Celtic winning the European Cup in 1967.

The first ever British club to do so.

With a team full of locals; within a 30 mile radius of Glasgow. Yahoo

Last edited by SetupDeterminesTheMotion on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spell)
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:36 am

SetupDeterminesTheMotion wrote:Celtic winning the European Cup in 1967.

The first ever British club to do so.

With a team full of locals; within a 30 mile radius of Glasgow. Yahoo

It was easy in those days Whistle

Nah, a great feat.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3