The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh Regions Signings/Departures/Rumours 2013 (Scarlets set to offer James "cub" Davies a contract)

+51
The Saint
Taffineastbourne
glamorganalun
EnglishReign
GavinDragon
Seagultaf
MarcusHalberstram
bsando
Kingshu
EST
21st Century Schizoid Man
Impossible Standards
Newsilure
TBJ9625
mpc28
Liam
Jhamer25
Artful_Dodger
George Carlin
Imperialbigdave
Allty
doctornickolas
Coleman
dragon999
LordDowlais
mikey_philVIII
2ndtimeround
mckay1402
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
red_stag
Brendan
international197
XR
LondonTiger
Knowsit17
t1000advancedprototype
LeinsterFan4life
formerly known as Sam
VinceWLB
Luckless Pedestrian
bedfordwelsh
youngguns6
Stone Motif
thebluesmancometh
wales606
Cardiff Dave
Morgannwg
munkian
ScarletSpiderman
Pat_Mustard
pioden gorllewin
55 posters

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Welsh Regions Signings/Departures/Rumours 2013 (Scarlets set to offer James "cub" Davies a contract) - Page 11 Empty Welsh Regions Signings/Departures/Rumours 2013 (Scarlets set to offer James "cub" Davies a contract)

Post by pioden gorllewin Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:12 am

First topic message reminder :

Ospreys

In

Tito Tebaldi (Zebra) – Confirmed
Rhodri Williams (Scarlets) - Rumour

Out

Kahn Fotuali'i (Northampton Saints) - Confirmed
Jonathan Thomas (Bayonne/Worcester Warriors) - Rumour
Jonathan Humphries (Scotland Forwards Coach) - Confirmed
Campbell Johnstone ( Russian Club) - Confirmed
George Stowers (Tasman) - Confirmed

Scarlets

In

Steven Shingler ( London Irish) –Confirmed
Ed Jackson (London Welsh ) – Rumour
Andrew Coombes (Dragons) - Rumour
Gareth Delve ( Melbourne Rebels) - Rumour
Serge Lilo (Wellington Lions) - Rumour
John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors) - Confirmed
Nick Cummins (Western Force) - Rumour
Farid Sid (Perpignan)- Rumour
Opeti Fonua (Agen) - Rumour
Brett Deacon (Leicester Tigers) - Rumour
Regan King (Backs/Skills Coach) - Rumour
Genesis Mamea (Wellington) - Rumour
Darran Harris (Pontypridd) - Rumour

Out

Tomas vallejos cinalli (Pampas XV) – Confirmed
Gareth Maule (London Irish/Munster) – Rumour
Adam Warren (Cardiff)- Rumour
Scott Williams (Cardiff) – Rumour
Sione Timani (Agen) – Confirmed
Rhodri Williams (Ospreys) – Rumour
Tavis Knoyle ( Gloucester) – Confirmed
Gareth Davies ( Cardiff) –Rumour
Owen Williams (Leicester Tigers) – Confirmed
Jonathan Edwards (Released) – Confirmed
Andy Fenby (London Irish) - confirmed
Morgan Stoddart (Retired) - Confirmed
Dan Newton (London Scottish) - Confirmed
Kieron Murphy (London Welsh/Edingburgh) - Rumour
George North ( Northampton Saints)- Confirmed
Rheon James (Cornish Pirates)- Confirmed
Richie Pugh (Released) -Confirmed
Rhys Jones (Released) - RumourConfirmed
Dale Ford (Released/Bristol) - Confirmed
Samson Lee (Glouceste) - Rumour
Peter Edwards (Released) -Confirmed
Craig Hawkins (Released) - Confirmed
Craig Price (Leicester Tigers) -Rumour

Dragons

In

Ross Wardle (Bedwas) - Confirmed
Richie Rees (Edinburgh) - Confirmed
Luciano Orquera (Zebre) -Rumour
Martin Muller (Cheetahs) - Confirmed
Juan Gomez (Pampas XV) - Rumour
Netani Talei (Edingburgh) - Confirmed
Francisco Chaparro (Stade Francias) - Confirmed
Kris Burton (Treviso) - Confirmed
Rhys Thomas (Wasps)- Confirmed
Malakai Fekitoa (Auckland) - Rumour

Out

Andrew Coombes (Scarlets) – Rumour
Dan Lydiate (Racing Metro)- Confirmed
Steve Jones (Retired)- Confirmed
Tom Brown (Released/Jersey) - Confirmed
Tondi Chavhanga (Released) - Confirmed
Iestyn Thomas (Retired) - Confirmed
Josh Tyler (Released) - Confirmed
Hywel Stoddart (Released) - Confirmed

Blues

In

Filo Paulo (North Harbour) - confirmed
Matthew Rees (Scarlets) Confirmed
Liam Davies (confirmed - until end of season)
Gethin Jenkins (Toulon) - Confirmed
Rhys Gill (Saracens) - rumoured
Adam Warren (Scarlets) - rumoured
Scott Williams –(Scarlets) – rumoured
Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets) – rumour
Gareth Davies ( Scarlets) - rumour

Out

Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro) - not confirmed
Tom James (Exeter Chiefs) -confirmed
Richard Mustoe (retirement) -confirmed
Fau Filise - (retirement) rumour
Ceri Sweeney (Exeter Chiefs) - Confirmed
Leigh Halfpenny (Clermont) - Rumour
Michael Paterson (Sale Sharks) - Confirmed
Campese Ma'afu (Nottingham) -Confirmed

Last edited by pioden gorllewin on Wed 29 May 2013, 8:08 am; edited 89 times in total
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Welsh Regions Signings/Departures/Rumours 2013 (Scarlets set to offer James "cub" Davies a contract) - Page 11 Empty Re: Welsh Regions Signings/Departures/Rumours 2013 (Scarlets set to offer James "cub" Davies a contract)

Post by Allty Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:19 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Allty wrote:Its true.

It's tripe. How exactly are they being failed you half-wit? By not being flogged into the ground or by getting to play alongside more experienced players in a more competitive team?

Stone, why do you need to be as condescending like this, Alty, if his profile is correct is a man of 70 yrs of age, a little more respect is needed and calling people half wit's is not the way to speak to people. Alty is indeed entitled to his opinion just as you are, but you are so blinkered in your support for the Dragons you only see one side of anything, your own, for the love of god show some manners and do not talk to people in the way you do, Alty has more life experience than the both of us put together, so lets show a little more respect. thumbsup

My profile is correct LD and I have been very much involved with rugby along with other sports for many years.

I am saddened to see so many outsiders often second rate players being bought into our regional sides.

I will go further and say that talents like Shane Williams would not have made it under todays set up, and add that even the Ospreys turned down Halfpenny a few seasons ago.

Allty

Back to top Go down

Welsh Regions Signings/Departures/Rumours 2013 (Scarlets set to offer James "cub" Davies a contract) - Page 11 Empty Re: Welsh Regions Signings/Departures/Rumours 2013 (Scarlets set to offer James "cub" Davies a contract)

Post by mikey_philVIII Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:19 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:Right back at you Lord D, only thing worse than ignorance is wilful ignorance

What am I ignorant about then Stone ? Or can it be said that the Dragons are being ignorant of the NWQ player limit that the regions agreed to. How many NWQ players are there at the Dragons these days ? With the few you are signing for next season and with the half a dozen you have now, you could field a first 15 with almost no Welsh players.

Doubtful. The majority of the team would still be welsh, plus you don't know whether any of the signings will be starters. Furthermore I don't see how welsh youth players have been failed. The English have more youth than everyone yet still find the requirement for overseas players.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:21 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:Right back at you Lord D, only thing worse than ignorance is wilful ignorance

What am I ignorant about then Stone ? Or can it be said that the Dragons are being ignorant of the NWQ player limit that the regions agreed to. How many NWQ players are there at the Dragons these days ? With the few you are signing for next season and with the half a dozen you have now, you could field a first 15 with almost no Welsh players.

No, it can't be said. That's mere speculation, unless of course you are privvy to the players we are/aren't releasing? We could field a first 15 with almost no Welsh players? Genius.

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:21 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Not being ageist or anything either, but I am intrigued as to who these wronged Gwent players are.

Anybody with an ounce of knowledge with matters concerning the Dragons will know we needed to sign players in certain positions. Twelve is one of them. Whilst it sounds like Robling and Wardle had a good game the other night, we can't rely on them to do it constantly, as it is a lot of pressure to put on young shoulders. Other players like Smith and Hughes have been carryng injuries a lot of times this season and I don't see what is wrong with bringing in competition. We have tried to play the players we have and nobody is consistently doing the business for us. Using the same logic about being blinkered, some people are so blinkered in their criticism of the Dragons too and can only see their point of view.

Because of the system and the imports you/we will never know how much talent has been lost. You must also bear in mind that we are not talking super stars

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:23 pm

mikey_philVIII wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Doubtful. The majority of the team would still be welsh, plus you don't know whether any of the signings will be starters. Furthermore I don't see how welsh youth players have been failed. The English have more youth than everyone yet still find the requirement for overseas players.
Doesnt make it right though. If you want to look at a system try NZ and SA as models

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:23 pm

We are all entitled to our opinions Alty, weather they are right or not it does not matter, what I do not like is when people arrogantly try to pressure people into believing they are right no matter what. Stone does have some credence in what he is saying, it is just the way he comes across that I do not like, if he took other people points on board and not just rubbish them with one swipe of his keyboard then perhaps I would have more time for him, but I have seen him argue with others on different threads as well so do not take it personally.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:28 pm

Further more, I am not against our regions signing NWQ players, I am against them signing NWQ players who will not bring anything to the table, if the Dragons do manage to sign this Auckland Blues center then I would congratulate them on a major coup, it is just when they sign crap that no one else wants that gets me, and it is not just the Dragons, all the regions are guilty of it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:30 pm

Allty wrote:
mikey_philVIII wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Doesnt make it right though. If you want to look at a system try NZ and SA as models

Both exceptional models for rugby development however each have their share of overseas players.

I said English teams find a requirement for different players, as have welsh teams and now the dragons. Doesn't really matter if its right or wrong and who are you to decide that anyway? Needs must and moving forward.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:33 pm

shame is the Malakai Fekitoa deal has fallen through, would have been an exciting addition to the dragons backline. he's not capped by tonga so possibly could have been "time serving" who knows. not sure why some think it's a short term fix that damages welsh rugby. when kuli faletau signed for ebbw vale in 1998 people could have said the same thing. but he's made wales his home ever since, and now his son is an icon for gwent and welsh rugby.

whoever the dragons sign, if they work hard enough and earned the starting jersey, it's up to the welsh boys to fight for it back. a bit of competition doesn't hurt anyone, actually tends to make you a better player.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:41 pm

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/news/5725.php

The Scarlets have secured Scotland flanker John Barclay into their squad on a three-year contract to bring more world-class experience to their pack going forward.
A career Glasgow Warriors player, Barclay has made 150 appearances for the Scottish club and was once again the stand-out player in Glasgow's five-try victory over the Ospreys in the RaboDirect PRO12 last weekend.
Barclay, 26, joined Warriors as a 17-year-old apprentice in 2004 and has risen through the ranks during his nine-year tenure to become one of the most respected senior players at the club - together with securing an impressive 41 caps for his country in his career to date.

Recognised as one of the best openside flankers in world rugby, John Barclay said: "It was an emotional and memorable evening on Friday night in front of a packed home crowd and it was great to get my 150th appearance and bid farewell to supporters on the back of an important win for Glasgow in our stadium.

"I am now really looking forward to moving to the Scarlets next season; having seen the ambition they play with, the style, rugby philosophy and tradition of such a great rugby region, I know that it will be a great move for me.

"I've been lucky to be with Glasgow for nine years and helped take Glasgow to develop into what is now seen as a very competitive side.

"Having been with them all my professional career, to move somewhere new, it had to be to the right club with an environment and philosophy I could relate to and to a team that I could make a difference within.

"It's going to be an exciting opportunity for me to experience a new environment in West Wales in the first move of my club career. They have an impressive and ambitious coaching group and it will be good to be part of a team that has so much talent, potential and energy with a mix of key world-class players along with world class playing and training facilities.

"I know that Sean Lamont really enjoyed his time at Parc y Scarlets and he's been giving me a few pointers ahead of my moveand I look forward to being part of a highly-respected Welsh region with a great heritage and loyal support base."

There is plenty left to play for in the 2012/13 season with Glasgow safely through whilst the Scarlets are also challenging for a play-off position.

Scarlets Head Coach Simon Easterby said: "We are very pleased to have signed John; he will add real value to our group both in terms of his own exceptional ability and experience but also will be a great mentor to a number of our younger back-rowers coming through the system.

"We made clear strides with strong front five recruitments last season to ensure we are strengthening the forwards unit to give the right platform to deliver to our half backs and backs and John will play a key role in the continuing development of that area of our game.

"We want to have strength and depth in our pack and the back row is a key area in our game moving forward.

"John is a dynamic player who will offer another added dimension to the existing talent we have in our back row. He has shown that he is really at the top of his game since coming back from injury. At just 26, he brings world-class experience yet still has his best rugby years ahead of him."

Scarlets supporters can look forward to seeing John Barclay, Steve Shingler together with Ken Owens, Jonathan Davies, Rhys Priestland, Scott Williams, Liam Williams, Aaron Shingler, Josh Turnbull, Rob McCusker and many more at Parc y Scarlets in 2013/14.

Season memberships will go on sale Friday 26th April at 9am with plenty of new added value benefits for our loyal membership including money-off vouchers with partner attractions. The region is proud to announce that it will freeze all season membership prices from this season going forward into 2013/14.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:45 pm

Barclay at the Scarlets - a fantastic signing, should really help them push on next season.

Best regional signing of the year I think.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:49 pm

Bummer - total bummer. Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:02 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Bummer - total bummer. Crying or Very sad

Can empathise felt the same way when we lost north to saints.Great signing for us we've really missed not having a genuine fetcher at 7. He'll also be a very good mentor to young dan thomas and help his development. must thank schlong too for putting in a good word in for us with Barclay Yahoo
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:04 pm

Any wingers set to come in or will they just use what they got?

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:09 pm

yeah easterby has gone on record and said he is looking to strengthen in that dept having lost north and fenby. apparently we have been looking at what's available in SH. but it's a waiting game until all the more wealthier clubs have finished their shopping. Glad Zane Kirchner is no longer a possibility.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:21 pm

You'll notice that no one will criticise the signing of Barclay at the Scarlets, and the blocking of young Welsh 7s, but the signing of Talei by the Dragons is terrible for that same reason. Go figure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:29 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Like you can't be bothered to back up your argument that there are plenty of Welsh alternatives, I can't be bothered to educate you on the make up of the Dragons squad and who is out of contract at the end of the season. Why don't you try doing a bit of research before typing for a change?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:32 pm

Allty wrote:
mikey_philVIII wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

I agree. Unions that take their responsibility as custodians of the game seriously, instead of prostituting themselves to the bank manager.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:33 pm

Allty wrote:
mikey_philVIII wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:36 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Further more, I am not against our regions signing NWQ players, I am against them signing NWQ players who will not bring anything to the table, if the Dragons do manage to sign this Auckland Blues center then I would congratulate them on a major coup, it is just when they sign crap that no one else wants that gets me, and it is not just the Dragons, all the regions are guilty of it.
You don't know what they will bring to the table, and if you want top class signings you either need to let the regions manage themselves properly or Rog needs to start digging down the back of his sofa. This has been demonstrated to you ad infinatum.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:38 pm

Griff wrote:You'll notice that no one will criticise the signing of Barclay at the Scarlets, and the blocking of young Welsh 7s, but the signing of Talei by the Dragons is terrible for that same reason. Go figure.

Griff when I say regions I mean all of them are at fault bringing in outside help >

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:41 pm

Allty wrote:
Griff wrote:You'll notice that no one will criticise the signing of Barclay at the Scarlets, and the blocking of young Welsh 7s, but the signing of Talei by the Dragons is terrible for that same reason. Go figure.

Griff when I say regions I mean all of them are at fault bringing in outside help >
Absurd.

Out of interest, who's your team Allty? I guess Ponty, or some other disenfranchised.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:42 pm

Wasn't aimed at you Allty. In general on this thread and forum, if the Dragons buy an NWQ it is frowned upon, but the other 3 seem to be given a certain additional level of leniency in this.

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:43 pm

Damn. If this had been announced 2 months ago, I would have thought it wasn't a huge loss for Glasgow. He had spent the last two seasons playing out of position and without a huge amount of enthusiasm. However, his form since coming back from injury has been superb. A world class player when fully fit and firing.

Another Scottish international leaves Glasgow approaching his peak years, and to a team in direct competition!

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:04 pm

I don't think the regions should be signing 6 nations NWQ players, I think its a bit of a waste.

Barclay is a good player same as T Bowe was at Ospreys, but I felt while they are top players they wasted part of what a NWQ role is at the club.

For me a big part of a NWQ players role is to provide the experience, winning mentality and leadership to the younger players while the internationals are away on international duty and in training camps.

The NWQ players help turn a team of youngests into a team with experience mixed in, that can turn a close loss into a win.

Signing a NWQ player that will also be missing when the internationals are missing (playing for another 6 nations country) means the team mill miss the experience a southern Hemp player would have given them durning this time.

Personally from my point of View another 6 nations NWQ player only forfills a part of what I believe a NWQ role should be.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:06 pm

Erm, one is a world class seven who is playing regular for club and country and is in his prime and has been talked about as a possible Lions tourist, and the other is a no.8 who cannot nail down a starting place in his struggling club side. You could have picked better to stregnthen your point. Wink

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:08 pm

Kingshu wrote:I don't think the regions should be signing 6 nations NWQ players, I think its a bit of a waste.

Barclay is a good player same as T Bowe was at Ospreys, but I felt while they are top players they wasted part of what a NWQ role is at the club.

For me a big part of a NWQ players role is to provide the experience, winning mentality and leadership to the younger players while the internationals are away on international duty and in training camps.

The NWQ players help turn a team of youngests into a team with experience mixed in, that can turn a close loss into a win.

Signing a NWQ player that will also be missing when the internationals are missing (playing for another 6 nations country) means the team mill miss the experience a southern Hemp player would have given them durning this time.

Personally from my point of View another 6 nations NWQ player only forfills a part of what I believe a NWQ role should be.

What about Pienaar? He is both away a lot and a leader/teacher.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:09 pm

Griff wrote:Wasn't aimed at you Allty. In general on this thread and forum, if the Dragons buy an NWQ it is frowned upon, but the other 3 seem to be given a certain additional level of leniency in this.
No probs griff

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:11 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
Allty wrote:

Absurd.

Out of interest, who's your team Allty? I guess Ponty, or some other disenfranchised.

I support all regions and all clubs.

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:16 pm

pioden gorllewin wrote:

Scarlets

In

Thats news to me! Who was saying that!?! Or is it a joke? The honey badger has no reason to move to Wales. Capped by the Wallabies already and a favourite of the Force fans. I don't see what he has to gain apart from experiencing a new culture.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:23 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Erm, one is a world class seven who is playing regular for club and country and is in his prime and has been talked about as a possible Lions tourist, and the other is a no.8 who cannot nail down a starting place in his struggling club side. You could have picked better to stregnthen your point. Wink

As a Scottish poster just posted, Barclay has struggled until the last few games, didn't feature for Scotland in the 6N despite being back to fitness for the 3 game onwards, and Glasgow have deemed him surplus to requirements (but I still rate him btw). Talei on the other hand has rave reviews from Edinburgh fans, capped over 20 times for Fiji, helped Edinburgh to a HC semi picking up 3 man of the match awards in that season, wasn't he player of the season too or something similar? He's a very good player.

I picked him as a comparison because he is exactly that - a good comparison. I think this points more to your lack of rugby knowledge, which by the sound of it is restricted to 6N rugby only.

Both good players, both good signings, both NWQ, but different reactions from welsh fans. At least Talei will not be away on 6N duty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:26 pm

HAHAHAHAAH hallelujuah, come on barclay.
Can't believe it truly one of the best sigings we have ever made. He will do wonders for us.
Lets jsut get delve and 2 winger know and we are sorted.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:33 pm

bsando wrote:
pioden gorllewin wrote:

Scarlets

In

Thats news to me! Who was saying that!?! Or is it a joke? The honey badger has no reason to move to Wales. Capped by the Wallabies already and a favourite of the Force fans. I don't see what he has to gain apart from experiencing a new culture.

Cummins name has been banded around a bit as one that the scarlets have enquired about. Don't think he's currently in the Australian squad, so maybe he thinks now is the best time to come to europe. saying that with toulon signing mitchell, maybe it's an opportunity for him to reclaim the wing berth with the wallabies.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:36 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:HAHAHAHAAH hallelujuah, come on barclay.
Can't believe it truly one of the best sigings we have ever made. He will do wonders for us.
Lets jsut get delve and 2 winger know and we are sorted.

another 8 that's been added to the mix of possible recruitments is former scottish international simon taylor who was recently released from bath. personally at 33 and very injury prone, i'd be worried if we signed him.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:37 pm

Welsh region in quality NWQ player signing shocker!

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:48 pm

I think it is shocking that the Scarlets couldn't develop Nick Cudd at 7 & then go & sign a foreigner - shocking it is!!!

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Mon 22 Apr 2013, 7:28 pm

Great news about Barclay as he will add something we have been missing and ensure we are competitive at the breakdown.
That is 5 NWQ confirmed on the books next season though and still looking for at least 1 winger and possibly a no. 8.. We really need Gypo to work his magic again.
George was just 18 when he started so why not Aaron Warren if he will sign.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 22 Apr 2013, 7:34 pm

dragon999 wrote:I think it is shocking that the Scarlets couldn't develop Nick Cudd at 7 & then go & sign a foreigner - shocking it is!!!
A disgrace. Who do these regions think they are? The WRU should step in, etc etc
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 22 Apr 2013, 7:34 pm

dragon999 wrote:I think it is shocking that the Scarlets couldn't develop Nick Cudd at 7 & then go & sign a foreigner - shocking it is!!!
A disgrace. Who do these regions think they are? The WRU should step in, etc etc
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Mon 22 Apr 2013, 8:16 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:Great news about Barclay as he will add something we have been missing and ensure we are competitive at the breakdown.
That is 5 NWQ confirmed on the books next season though and still looking for at least 1 winger and possibly a no. 8.. We really need Gypo to work his magic again.
George was just 18 when he started so why not Aaron Warren if he will sign.

Are Adrianse, Earls and Snyman capped by SA or can they be classed as "Project Players"? If not Manu is looking a bit of an expensive luxury with Adrianse and Lee as first choice tight heads!

The Scarlet's badly need to recruit some wings, they have lost Lamont, Stoddard, North & Fenby in 12 months, and only recruited Phillips, who looks a long way from being the required standard. Gareth Owen looks OK at fullback but Sanjay is far better so it would not make sense to park him out on the wing.

I doubt that Gypo can magic up another George North, he is a once in generation player. Its a great shame that the WRU would not help the Scarlet's keep him in Wales!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 22 Apr 2013, 8:40 pm

With Timani going then our capped nwqs next season are Manu and Barclay. Although I believe nwq limits doesn't differentiate between capped and project, so Earle, Snyman and Adriaanse will also be classed as nwq for another two seasons.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:01 pm

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12551/8665228/T-Rhys-Thomas-heads-back-to-Wales-to-join-Newport-Gwent-Dragons

T R Thomas heads to Dragons in order to be closer to his family of three.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:05 pm

Stone Motif wrote:

Reel em in!!! Very Happy

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:30 pm

Griff wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

As a Scottish poster just posted, Barclay has struggled until the last few games, didn't feature for Scotland in the 6N despite being back to fitness for the 3 game onwards, and Glasgow have deemed him surplus to requirements (but I still rate him btw). Talei on the other hand has rave reviews from Edinburgh fans, capped over 20 times for Fiji, helped Edinburgh to a HC semi picking up 3 man of the match awards in that season, wasn't he player of the season too or something similar? He's a very good player.

I picked him as a comparison because he is exactly that - a good comparison. I think this points more to your lack of rugby knowledge, which by the sound of it is restricted to 6N rugby only.

Both good players, both good signings, both NWQ, but different reactions from welsh fans. At least Talei will not be away on 6N duty.
Seems to be mixed messages about Barclay - my own six cents worth as a Glasgow fan who's watched JB since he was 18:

1. He has not struggled this season by dint of his abilities - he was just carrying an injury that was simply not right for the first part of the year. He has been enormously influential in victories over Ulster, Munster and Ospreys this season.

2. It took him so long to get the 7 shirt back last season and this season because of the superlative form of a young player called Chris Fusaro who has the potential to be one of Scotland's best loose forwards of the next decade. It does not mean that JB has suddenly stopped being a classy and intelligent player. Most Glasgow fans are gutted to see him go and wish he would have stayed - I think all Glasgow posters will confirm this.

3. He has been in a battle for supremacy since he was 15 years old (when they met at school team age grade) with another Scots openside called Ross Rennie whom I (and I'm normally really quite harsh about Scots players) believe that when fit is the northern hemisphere's most sparklingly skilled openside and who will be the best Scotland 7 since Finlay Calder. Again, just because JB has not been an international started for a year or so does not mean that a lot of fans couldn't have made the argument that he should have taken the shirt.

It doesn't matter how he's found his way to the Parc y Scarlets, he is now here and I cannot see this as anything other than an amazeballs signing for the club. To have 45 or so caps at 26 is going well for a loose forward and he is what the Scarlets have been in defecit of for at least a2 seasons - a true openside with the cardio to get to every breakdown and the intelligence to know when to commit to the tight stuff and when to stand back. He will be a credit to the club.

The difference between him and Talei is that Talei had a superb season last season but has done sweet Felicity Alexander this season. JB has shown brilliant form both years.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:45 pm

Griff wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Griff, for my reply to this, read George Carlin's post above, he has basically said everything for me, Talei has struggled to get a starting place this season, thus why he is deemed surplus to requirements and has been let go, on the other hand Glasgow did not want to lose Barcley. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:04 pm

Well, it's just a matter of opinion. Something which you continually tell us that we're entitled to. So I'm entitled to mine, and still think Talei is a good signing for the Dragons. I'll thank you Lord Dowlais to heed your own advice and not try to enforce you opinion on me in your aggressive manner. Ta!

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:09 pm

Pretty much everyone would have said the same about Nick Williams when he was hoofing it around for Aironi Lord D. You especially judging from your posts. When you're finished with your crystal ball make yourself useful and chuck up the lottery numbers, that's if you can spare the time. I'm sure with your 100% foolproof knowledge of players future form Warren G has no doubt called you in as a specialist consultant to help him pick the Lions squad and you're extremely busy at the moment.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:16 pm

Talei is a good signing, the Dragons managed to out bid the Scarlets for his services, so I assume that it is ssfe to say that it is not a case of him being unwanted by any decent teams. That said I am glad we got Barclay as we need an experienced openside, and have Dan Thomas to detutise for him during the international windows, which will be good for Dan and for the Scarlets going forward.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 22 Apr 2013, 11:06 pm

I really don't get how a pool of Faletau, Evans, Talei, Jones, Groves and Stoddart is letting anyone down in terms of options at 6/8. I dare say we'll see any number of permutations of those players over the course of the season. With Cudd and Waters competing for the 7 jersey, backed up by Evans at a push, I make that 7/8 Welsh Qualified, 3/8 academy products, 4/8 lifted from the Welsh prem, the best 8's in both the senior and under-20 national teams, and 1 import who has captained his country and produced excellent displays in the European Cup. I really don't get what the problem is here. No shouting, no blinkers, no ageism. Just what is the problem?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Tue 23 Apr 2013, 9:49 am

Think Dragons needed to strengthen down the spine of their team, and to be fair they’ve done that successfully.

If you look at each department there is an improvement in quality and depth.

Phil Price
Rhys Thomas
Francisco Nahuel Chaparro/Tim Ryam (got another 1 of his contact)

Coombes/Nimmo
Muller/Sidoli

Backrow looking particulary strong and balanced.

6: Talei/Lewis Evans
7: Darren Waters/Nic Cudd
8: Faletau/ Ieuan Jones

Half Backs

Rees/ 2 x Evans
Burton/Steff

12: Robling/ Dixon/ AN Other
13: Wardle/ Hughes

Wingers: Will Harries, Poole,Hughes, Leach, Amos

15: Prydie/ Dan Evans

Heard that SA utility back/NZ centre is in the pipleine. So that would take the NWQ to Chaparro, Ryan, Muller, Nimmo, Talei, & Burton (isn’t the limit 6 under the participation agreement? or is it just a gentleman’s agreement not enforceable? Never too sure.)

So guess Jamie Smith, Tondi and Tuilagi are off this summer?? Who else is being released along with Brown?
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next