The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Novak back to dominance

+2
JuliusHMarx
HM Murdock
6 posters

Go down

Novak back to dominance Empty Novak back to dominance

Post by HM Murdock Sat 02 Mar 2013, 5:44 pm

Novak's record since USO

Match record: 27-1
Match record v top 10 players: 13-0
Titles won: 1 slam, WTF, 1x1000 (Shanghai), 2x500 (Beijing, Dubai)

Match record since the Olympics is 42-3

Considering how close much of 2012 looked among the top guys, these numbers are starting to look like dominance again.

Can the others strike back?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Novak back to dominance Empty Re: Novak back to dominance

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 02 Mar 2013, 6:00 pm

I doubt the others can strike back. Federer is going downhilll (the only thing people disagree on is the speed). Rafa might present a challenge on clay, but I doubt on other surfaces - Djoko had his number even before Rafa was injured. Murray maybe, but tbh he's not as good as Djoko.
Everyone else is an also-ran, capable of a rare upset but nothing more.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 02 Mar 2013, 6:50 pm

That is a trenendous record, but a lot of people were saying the same thing a year ago after he'd won the AO and the the big prizes went to the other 3 (with the exception of WTF).

He's world number 1 and deservedly so and I think he'll end the year there. But I think Murray and Rafa will push him and beat him to win some big titles this year.

So yes, I expect the others to strike back.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:12 pm

Yes I agree murdoch he looks really good, his serve is looking better than ever and yielding a lot of easy points. i think Nadal and Murray will push him this year and get their licks in. But I think Novak will have a more dominant year than last year. He is a player who is more and more dangerous the more confident he gets. So I don't think it is good for the chasing pack that he is starting so strong. I think he is getting primed for the clay court season, he had a lot of things go wrong for him and a lot distractions last year. This year i get a sense of calm and quite confidence from him. If he is healthy this year I think he will have a multi-slam season. I really think he will make his push this clay court season. But Rafa is looking good so far in the comeback and it won't be easy.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:43 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:He's world number 1 and deservedly so and I think he'll end the year there. But I think Murray and Rafa will push him and beat him to win some big titles this year.
I think that is pretty much how I feel about it.

His consistency over the last couple of years has been remarkable and that shows no signs of abating. It's hard to imagine the other three, for differing reasons, accumulating enough ranking points to finish ahead of him.

But if Novak dominates the points race, I think the actual titles will be more spread around.

Hard to judge though because there are unknowns surrounding the other 3. Will Andy find greater consistency and avoid his 'spring lull'? What level will Rafa return to? Is Roger just going through a patch of weaker form or is this something more permanent?

At present, Novak is the only one that I feel I know what to expect from. Reality may prove to be quite different however!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:11 pm

I see it the same as you Murdoch. Novak produces such a good level every time he plays that - to me - the only players capable of reaching that level and beating him are the other 'big' three. His record against players outside the elite group over the last 15 months is ridiculous.

In the past Murray has been by far the most likely to lose unexpectedly in masters events, particularly at this time of year. But he's a slam champion now, so maybe (hopefully) we won't see that dip which in the past has surely been due to the mental scars of coming so close but ultimately failing to break through in Melbourne.

A lot of the past 6-9 months have been about Novak v Andy, but with clay coming up and Rafa back that will change. I think Andy will win Wimbledon this year, but I still don't really see him threatening on clay. It is a massive opportunity for Novak to complete the career slam this year. He can beat a fully fit Rafa on the dirt as he's proved before, but with Rafa only coming back now this will surely be Novak's best chance to win in Paris.... In spite of how good Rafa has looked the past few weeks.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:21 pm

Danny, yes, as things stand, I'd say Wimbledon is between Andy and Fed. If either are at their best on grass, it will be hard for Novak to beat them.

And you're right about Novak and RG. He will get other chances of course but you would start to wonder "if not this year, then when?".

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:49 am

I don't know about if not this year then when, lets remember fed was pretty old when he added the french open in 09 I think he was 2 years older than Novak currently is. I think he will beat Nadal this year over five sets on clay the ultimate challenge and take the RG title. I also think Nadal will make it one helluva a fight and will actually being playing really well by that time of the year. If Novak doesn't nothing precludes him from getting there in the next 2-3 years for sure. Each year he has shown that he keeps getting better and working on more and more in his game. I think he will get it this year and if not this year soon. But he does have a golden opportunity this year with Nadal on the comeback trail to take the title that should not be wasted.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 03 Mar 2013, 7:23 am

Socal, yes, it's for from last chance saloon at RG. But it's hard to think of circumstances that would be more favourable to Novak!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 03 Mar 2013, 2:10 pm

@SoCal ... did you watch the Acapulco final last night? Should there be a new thread 'Nadal back to dominance'? chin

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 03 Mar 2013, 2:21 pm

laverfan wrote:@SoCal ... did you watch the Acapulco final last night? Should there be a new thread 'Nadal back to dominance'? chin

laverfan. There is! Only I put it as a question.

https://www.606v2.com/t41295-rafa-crushes-ferrer-6-0-6-2-is-he-back-yet

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:38 pm

@HE.. I did see that thread. rose SoCal may still be asleep. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:48 pm

LF, I watched the first set of the semi before I watched the final,although I stopped watching the final in the middle of the second set it just wasn't very competitive and a forgegone conclusion the whole time.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down