The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great expectations

+8
TRUSSMAN66
RanjitPatel
seanmichaels
SirJohnnyEnglish
azania
OasisBFC
88Chris05
ONETWOFOREVER
12 posters

Go down

Great expectations Empty Great expectations

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:42 pm

I was thinking after the Price loss how much money was invested in him. The hype that surrounds Price made it easier for people to put faith in him, only to see it implode as it did last Saturday night. Thats a lot of pressure on young shoulders I don't care how big they are. If you look at it from a professional angle then Price has just lost 1 fight. He never got battered or even koed heavily. He got up and was giving interviews after the fight in no time. Yet to look at the guy it just seems his whole world had just collapsed. The crowd were stunned into disbelief and the networks were providing excuses.

It seems to me that a man who has just started out on his quest for the heavyweight title is carrying way too much pressure on his shoulders at such an early stage of his career. There was a time when a defeat was just a lesson not a nail in the coffin unlike other sports where you can learn your trade.

Price is made to fight in front of his loyal home fans in most of his fights. I say put him on the road and take the pressure off him. All that money invested in him you would not blame him if his mind was elsewhere.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Great expectations Empty Re: Great expectations

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:51 pm

Good article, OneTwo, although sadly I don't think there is any way to lessen this 'pressure' on Price's shoulders.

Putting him on the road, while a good experience, won't change the fact that he is THE major attraction in Maloney's stable and the only one who anyone really has / had any world title hopes and expectations for. So much of Maloney's future in the sport at the high level rests on Price's shoulders that I don't think there's any hope of that pressure disappearing.

The thing is, Liverpool has had a real boxing revival in the last few years, what with Price, Bellew, the Smith brothers etc all doing well and all getting considerable attention and coverage. There's a market there to really build something and garner a huge, passionate following on Merseyside right now for those lads, so I can't see Price being shifted elsewhere in the country for the majority of his fights, or until he's fighting the big names in the division at any rate.

Sorry, but if his circumstances bring pressure, then I'm afraid Price is just going to have to learn to live and deal with that. Besides, I don't really think he's under any more strain than many other professionals around today.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:56 pm

being able to handle pressure is a key part of being a successful sportsman in this day and age.

if khan can be KO'd (and worse than price) then win world titles and become a global boxing star then why can't price?

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:29 pm

He's under more pressure now knowing he hasn't got a chin.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:34 pm

Why would he be under more pressure now if hes as chinny as some have suggested in the past? Whistle

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:36 pm

OasisBFC wrote:being able to handle pressure is a key part of being a successful sportsman in this day and age.

if khan can be KO'd (and worse than price) then win world titles and become a global boxing star then why can't price?

becuase the guy REALLY can't take a punch. Khan has generally got up from half decent punches before being stopped. Price was flattened by a tippy tap.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:17 pm

OasisBFC wrote:being able to handle pressure is a key part of being a successful sportsman in this day and age.

Price is also a prett average boxer. Khan has superb skills but lacked mental discipline to use them properly. He is in slugfests whereas Price once slugged is not in a fest. He's out.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Wed 27 Feb 2013, 7:23 pm

In my opinion, Price may follow in Audleys footsteps and become a WBF 'world champion' but that's about it. Realistically, no one who's been knocked out by Tony Thompson will ever beat a Klitscho.
No way of knowing who their successors will be but I'd also hazard a guess that they'd be better than and carry more of a punch than Thompson

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 7:23 pm

Seem to be an amazing contingent of new posters today...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 7:25 pm

We got Ranjitpatel, Makaveli, Silver and Buttermancan all making their debuts within an hour of eachother.....

New members are flying in at an incredible rate!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 7:30 pm

They love reading my posts and vast knowledge of each particular boxer. Very Happy

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Wed 27 Feb 2013, 7:33 pm

I joined yesterday but appreciate the welcome

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 8:55 pm

I've been thinking about this fight on Saturday, after the fight the guys they had ringside where saying it was a good stoppage etc which I didn't dispute at the time. However since then I've thought of other fighters who've been knocked down and allowed to carry on.

Amir Khan is the first who jumped to mind, against Prescott he couldn't even walk forward when asked, but was allowed to continue. Infact the same could be said of his fight against Garcia. It's made me wonder if the fight was stopped too soon? While we know that Price can't really take a shot, we don't know how good his powers of recovery are.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 27 Feb 2013, 8:55 pm

I think their friends of Az.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 27 Feb 2013, 8:58 pm

hampo171 wrote:I've been thinking about this fight on Saturday, after the fight the guys they had ringside where saying it was a good stoppage etc which I didn't dispute at the time. However since then I've thought of other fighters who've been knocked down and allowed to carry on.

Amir Khan is the first who jumped to mind, against Prescott he couldn't even walk forward when asked, but was allowed to continue. Infact the same could be said of his fight against Garcia. It's made me wonder if the fight was stopped too soon? While we know that Price can't really take a shot, we don't know how good his powers of recovery are.

Im sorry hampo I had to laugh when I read that. Price did not know what country he was in when he got to his feet. After the fight he never made an issue of it which indicates he was in no shape to continue fighting.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:01 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
hampo171 wrote:I've been thinking about this fight on Saturday, after the fight the guys they had ringside where saying it was a good stoppage etc which I didn't dispute at the time. However since then I've thought of other fighters who've been knocked down and allowed to carry on.

Im sorry hampo I had to laugh when I read that. Price did not know what country he was in when he got to his feet. After the fight he never made an issue of it which indicates he was in no shape to continue fighting.

Was he any worse than Khan in the Prescott fight though? In reality no, I'm not saying it was a poor stoppage but it got me thinking if other fighters would have been allowed to continue in the same situation with the same ref.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:07 pm

The punch Thompson landed on Price didn't seem particularly brutal. I'd hate to think what would happen should one of the Klitschkos land a bomb on his chin. I hope I'm proved wrong, but it doesn't look good for Price. Does anyone think the location where the punch landed (on the ear) had a bearing?

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:08 pm

You cant give heavyweights a knock out head start. Getting to your feet is one thing, defending yourself another.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:11 pm

hampo171 wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Was he any worse than Khan in the Prescott fight though? In reality no, I'm not saying it was a poor stoppage but it got me thinking if other fighters would have been allowed to continue in the same situation with the same ref.

The Prescot punch was huge. Price got decked and sent to queer street by a little slap.
If it was allowed to continue Price would still be down today. The man has no chin to speak off. I'm sure I said so before Whistle

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:11 pm

Sam_London wrote:The punch Thompson landed on Price didn't seem particularly brutal. I'd hate to think what would happen should one of the Klitschkos land a bomb on his chin. I hope I'm proved wrong, but it doesn't look good for Price. Does anyone think the location where the punch landed (on the ear) had a bearing?

Rumours that it perforated his eardrum, possibly robbing him of his balance and equilibrium. However it didn't seem hard enough it's likely Price just can't take a shot.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:11 pm

Sam_London wrote:The punch Thompson landed on Price didn't seem particularly brutal. I'd hate to think what would happen should one of the Klitschkos land a bomb on his chin. I hope I'm proved wrong, but it doesn't look good for Price. Does anyone think the location where the punch landed (on the ear) had a bearing?

Yes.

He was dazed, it scrambled his senses. Nobody has muscle where he got tagged. Just a freak punch which I don't think Thompson meant to throw at all. When someone as big as Price is rushing in on you like that instincts will take over. It seemed that Thompson was defending himself more the attacking.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:12 pm

In the case of Price is it not worrying that it took thompson barely a round to find the openings and land?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:13 pm

azania wrote:
hampo171 wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

The Prescot punch was huge. Price got decked and sent to queer street by a little slap.
If it was allowed to continue Price would still be down today. The man has no chin to speak off. I'm sure I said so before Whistle

I'm not debating that Az, I'm just curious if the ref from that fight lets Price carry on as he let Khan. When the ref says walk forward and you take six backwards it should be a sign to stop the fight. Just a thought that popped in to my head during a slow day in work anyway.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sparxz Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:16 pm

Why do people keep mentioning Prices CHIN, when he wasnt even hit on the chin he was hit behind the ear, and perforated his eardrum which in itself scrambles your balance. I predict anyone in the world hit like that with that result, would not make the count in a balanced state. This doesnt take away the fact he caught, no, he did and therefore deserved to lose, but lets not all jump on AZ's bandwagon of degrading price to bigup fury!

I personally think Price is robotic, and i dont like it (although it works for the kbros) Not to say i dont want him to win, cos i do and was more gutted than shocked when he lost to TT. But i still think he can take more of a punch people give him credit for. He now needs to rebuild slowly and learn with each fight. I would put him in woth Towers next as I think it would be a good Domestic battle which Price's amatuer background should get him through, but if Towers does land a big punch we will see his resistance!

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:16 pm

The ref should have stopped Khan as soon as he got up. Look at Khan's face. He was trying to look as if he could continue which was funny in itself.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:16 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:In the case of Price is it not worrying that it took thompson barely a round to find the openings and land?

What openings????

Freak shot pure and simple. Thompson never landed anything before he sensationally knocked out Price whilst in the act of defending himself.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:18 pm

sparxz wrote:Why do people keep mentioning Prices CHIN, when he wasnt even hit on the chin he was hit behind the ear, and perforated his eardrum which in itself scrambles your balance. I predict anyone in the world hit like that with that result, would not make the count in a balanced state. This doesnt take away the fact he caught, no, he did and therefore deserved to lose, but lets not all jump on AZ's bandwagon of degrading price to bigup fury!

I personally think Price is robotic, and i dont like it (although it works for the kbros) Not to say i dont want him to win, cos i do and was more gutted than shocked when he lost to TT. But i still think he can take more of a punch people give him credit for. He now needs to rebuild slowly and learn with each fight. I would put him in woth Towers next as I think it would be a good Domestic battle which Price's amatuer background should get him through, but if Towers does land a big punch we will see his resistance!

Do me a favour. The punch should not even trouble a middleweight.

Price has been bounced ( Great expectations 3933776953 ) so often in the amateurs that it should render his chin worse than rubbish.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:20 pm

It should not trouble a middleweight but the punch landed in the same place Garcia put Khan on his bum.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:22 pm

Both lack punch resistance. Khan seems to have better durability though. He wasn't all over the place like a drunk on a saturday night in Nottingham.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:24 pm

Az this is the shot I was talking about the other day, a lot cleaner and looks a lot harder than Thompsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HKf3MxE_58&feature=share&list=PL42E01DC8C19FD359

About 9:45 in to that video.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:25 pm

I have to say you are wrong there az.
Price got up he was clearly wobbled but was not doing the dance. Khan was rolling from post to post to the floor again.

Its not the end of the world for Price as Wlad has no chin but formed a style which makes it hard for opponents to tag him cleanly.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:40 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:In the case of Price is it not worrying that it took thompson barely a round to find the openings and land?

What openings????

Freak shot pure and simple. Thompson never landed anything before he sensationally knocked out Price whilst in the act of defending himself.

Freak shot my arse, that opening he leaves when he throws his straight right and pulls back on his left hand - not a great thing to do against a leftie. He even tries it a little before or do you think he threw left hand leads for fun?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:52 pm

Arm punches hampo.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:53 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:I have to say you are wrong there az.
Price got up he was clearly wobbled but was not doing the dance. Khan was rolling from post to post to the floor again.

Its not the end of the world for Price as Wlad has no chin but formed a style which makes it hard for opponents to tag him cleanly.

Wlad can hide his chin behind superb boxing. Price will never be anywhere near his level. Now even close.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:56 pm

The punches that land during the normal action, however the shot that lands when Price just stops and looks at his gum shield on the canvas was absolutely flush and probably just as good as Thompsons. Just watching his stoppage from the Olympics and he just can't avoid the straight left hand.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:59 pm

It looks like a superman punch from MMA. Still had Price shaky. But Ingleby doesn't look much of a puncher.

A boxer who cant avoid punches and has low durability will not last long. But he does have the equaliser and will always be dangerous given his height.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:01 pm

Anyone reckon the headguard is responsible for this? Both Khan and Price hit in places usually protected by the headguard in ams and sparring and rendered senseless yet take flush punches on the chin much better?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:06 pm

Nah. They both lack durability. Although Khan has passed his guy check in Maidana fight. Price collapsed and startid breakdancing. I thought he was going to spin on his back when he got decked.

Hilarious.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:03 pm

Like a couple of others have mentioned the punch actually hit him on the ear not his chin so to say he's chinny is pretty stupid. I've been hit once just behind the lower part of the ear sparring & for a split second was dizzy and saw stars and it wasn't that hard a punch. I remember the 2nd Enzo Mac vs Mark Hobson fight when Enzo landed a glancing blow to the same area & Hobson was out in the 1st round. In their previous fight it was a close fight that went the distance.

@az, you claim to box, have you never been caught like this before?

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:07 pm

That's just splitting hairs. The guy can't take a punch. People laughed at Khan when Garcia decked him. At least he saw out the round. All manner of excuses are make for this tall oaf of a boxer.

I've been decked and done the funky chicken and doubled over with a solar plexus punch. No laughing matter.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:13 pm

azania wrote:That's just splitting hairs. The guy can't take a punch. People laughed at Khan when Garcia decked him. At least he saw out the round. All manner of excuses are make for this tall oaf of a boxer.

I've been decked and done the funky chicken and doubled over with a solar plexus punch. No laughing matter.

Not at all az, go check out the 2nd Enzo vs Hobson fight & you will see what I'm saying. Getting hit there does a lot more than a punch of the same power on the chin. I'm not sticking up for price or sáying he's got a granite chin just putting it in a little context. i have never laughed at a fighter getting decked.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down