The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most surprising result of the weekend?

+11
Portnoy's Complaint
maestegmafia
lostinwales
dummy_half
thebluesmancometh
RubyGuby
beshocked
fa0019
Pat_Mustard
Luckless Pedestrian
nobbled
15 posters

Go down

What result would surprise you most this weekend?

Most surprising result of the weekend? Vote_lcap7%Most surprising result of the weekend? Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 4 ]
Most surprising result of the weekend? Vote_lcap4%Most surprising result of the weekend? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]
Most surprising result of the weekend? Vote_lcap25%Most surprising result of the weekend? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 14 ]
Most surprising result of the weekend? Vote_lcap35%Most surprising result of the weekend? Vote_rcap 35% 
[ 20 ]
Most surprising result of the weekend? Vote_lcap9%Most surprising result of the weekend? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 5 ]
Most surprising result of the weekend? Vote_lcap20%Most surprising result of the weekend? Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 12 ]

Total Votes : 57

Most surprising result of the weekend? Empty Most surprising result of the weekend?

Post by nobbled Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 11:06

Some great games coming up, and while I'm happy to hazard a guess - I fully expect one or two surprises.
What result would surprise you the most?
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Most surprising result of the weekend? Empty Re: Most surprising result of the weekend?

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 11:23

I don't know if any of the possible results this weekend could be called a surprise, apart from margins of victory. The strongest favourites will be England, but even then, I don't know if I'd class an away win for France as an upset.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Most surprising result of the weekend? Empty Re: Most surprising result of the weekend?

Post by Pat_Mustard Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 11:26

I've gone for France but anything's possible with them really. I think all of this week's games could conceivably go either way - that's not to say certain results aren't more likely than others. But no result would surprise me really! So should be an exciting weekend!

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 11:33

I think we (Scotland) should fancy our chances against IRE. Its not that we're superior but we have take teams like this (i.e. with 7 of their first choice players out injured) if we are serious about ourselves. A win should not be deemed a surprise.

The French are capable of putting in a performance... unlikely given their form is poor and they don't travel well.. esp. to twickenham.

I think Italy's case rests on Parisse. Plays and they have a good chance, banned and they won't be in it. Its not because he's that good but rather he's such a talisman for them that I wonder who will give them the go to ball they rely on. Due to that it has to be Italy.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 11:37

fa0019 wrote:I think we (Scotland) should fancy our chances against IRE. Its not that we're superior but we have take teams like this (i.e. with 7 of their first choice players out injured) if we are serious about ourselves. A win should not be deemed a surprise.

The French are capable of putting in a performance... unlikely given their form is poor and they don't travel well.. esp. to twickenham.

I think Italy's case rests on Parisse. Plays and they have a good chance, banned and they won't be in it. Its not because he's that good but rather he's such a talisman for them that I wonder who will give them the go to ball they rely on. Due to that it has to be Italy.

Between their injuries and without Healy to put his stamp on the game (sorry couldn't resist) Ireland do look more vulnerable than they have so far this 6 Nations. Italy at home either with or without Parisse are a challenge, but I'm expecting a re-invigorated Wales side - a win under their belt and plenty of time together prior to the game - a different prospect than the Wales team on 7 losses against Ireland or 8 against France.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 11:55

France winning would be. They struggle vs England

Italy even without Parisse should be a tough proposition.

A side winning away from home is more surprising than a team winning at home.

I don't think Wales after one win over an obviously woeful France suddenly makes them a decent side again.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 12:33

I don't think any outcome would be that much of a surprise - its very open this year thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 13:50

Most people seem to have gone for Italy, but that wouldn't be that much of a surprise would it? I mean, they've done it a couple of times before when they were arguably a lot worse, so now when they're playing better and Wales are in a bit of a 'trough' I don't think it would be a huge shock.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 13:51

It wouldn't shock many people, Griff, although I'm sure it would please alot of people.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 13:57

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Italy beat us, infact while Howlers in charge I wouldnt be surprised by a 50 point loss to Russia!!!

France are the rank outsiders, they have come unstuck at Twickers before while playing well, so after the last 2 weeks of garbage they are huge underdogs, that said would them winning surprise me? Not at all, Englands reputation seems to be running ahead of their ability at present, and they are extremely beatable.

I think Scots are actually favourites this week, and I'd be a little shocked if Ireland offer too much in response, with a few injuries and that dull attempt of not losing to England Ireland look vulnerable.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 14:03

Based on recent form, the biggest surprise would be France winning at Twickenham. However, since when has form had any relevance to France? One team who can occasionally produce 20 minutes of flowing rugby that simply blows away the opposition. As an England fan, I'm hoping we get off to a quick start and take an early lead as I can see France crumbling if we can keep them under pressure, but suddenly coming together and playing well if they can get a lead.

As for the other two games, I think Scotland probably start as marginal favourites coming off a good win and against a side that has been seriously depleted by injuries and suspension. However, an Irish win would not surprise me in the least.
Wales in Italy? Can see than going either way in a tight game. If Parisse is absent, I think Wales start as slight favourites, and if he plays Italy are.

So two games close on paper and one that I really don't want to get over-confident about (as I put elsewhere, an out of form France away to their bogey side England can only lead to one result - France by at least 20 points).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 14:09

Personally I think that although France are capable of the sublime - I dont think they can keep up a really high level of performance for the full 80 while I think England can. I also dont think that England will panic if France do get on top.

It wont be that surprising if France does win - injuries and all sorts can always happen - but I do think its unlikely.

The other two games are anyone's guess - with home advantage being a great leveller

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 14:33

lostinwales wrote:Personally I think that although France are capable of the sublime - I dont think they can keep up a really high level of performance for the full 80 while I think England can. I also dont think that England will panic if France do get on top.

Agree with that. I can though recall France of past years just going on a burst for 20 to 30 minutes and running in 3 or 4 tries regardless of the quality of the opposition. I'm not sure the current side actually has those capabilities, but it would be typically French if they were to prove me wrong on Saturday.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 18:22

I dont think there are any surprises possible this weekend. Italy are a good team, capable of beating Wales, but Wales are probably better psychologically after beating France.

France could easily play to their potential and beat England, England should win in their current form.

Scotland and ireland is a dead rubber, Scots finding form Ireland have a few injuries.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 18:46

23-Feb-2013 Spain Romania Gijon
23-Feb-2013 Russia Georgia
23-Feb-2013 Portugal Belgium Lisbon

Romania and Belgum ?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 21 Feb 2013 - 7:51

maestegmafia wrote:Scotland and ireland is a dead rubber

How is it a dead rubber?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 21 Feb 2013 - 8:55

I think the most surprising result will be the game with no scrums reset thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Thu 21 Feb 2013 - 10:22

The most surprising result will be English fans NOT claiming they only lost to France because France put out a 'proper' side by comparison with their teams v Italy and Wales

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 21 Feb 2013 - 10:25

100%beefy wrote:The most surprising result will be English fans NOT claiming they only lost to France because France put out a 'proper' side by comparison with their teams v Italy and Wales
Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

I'm already sensing that and have seen it written.

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 22 Feb 2013 - 18:13

Scotland beating Ireland? Hmmm.... no big shock
Italy beating Wales?..... Not so expected but again... they've proven they can play rugby and Wales have proven their engine can mysteriously cut out when least expected.
France beating England? - Not a blessed hope of it. But because of that, when it happens it'll be the biggest shock of the weekend Wink (I don't see it happening though, even if the French play out of their 2013 character and do something good for a change, like not walking from breakdown to breakdown and not having a smoke and a cappucino as they defend their tryline.)

Ireland beating Scotland? That'll be a bit of a shocker too.......................... for me!

but it's France/England with France winning that'll be the headlines if it happens.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 22 Feb 2013 - 18:15

100%beefy wrote:The most surprising result will be English fans NOT claiming they only lost to France because France put out a 'proper' side by comparison with their teams v Italy and Wales

... which might be funny but will also be true. There is no way a team playing as good as France played against Italy and Wales is going to beat a team sleepwalking as deeply though their championship as England.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri 22 Feb 2013 - 18:18

All the games could go either way - no strong favourites and certainly no shoo ins - so no result can be a suprise

Its perfectly possible that France, Scotland and Italy all win. France would be the biggest upset - I have Italy as favourites and Scotland / Ireland as evens

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 22 Feb 2013 - 19:15

So the 2 most surprising results of the weekend would be Wales winning or Italy winning.

Short of a draw, I think a fair few people will be surprised tomorrow.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Fri 22 Feb 2013 - 19:29

England's a shoo in.....ask beshocked!! picard

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down