The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most surprising points loss

+8
bellchees
huw
ShahenshahG
d260005p
manos de piedra
88Chris05
Mind the windows Tino.
paperbag_puncher
12 posters

Go down

Most surprising points loss Empty Most surprising points loss

Post by paperbag_puncher Thu 29 Mar 2012, 8:53 am

Yesterday I asked what was the greatest win ever. Today its what do you think was the most surprising points loss ever? Anyone can get caught cold with a punch and knocked out but when you lose on points it should mean you were the inferior man on the night. Not including robberies or fights you thought weren't scored properly what was the most surprising or shocking points loss?

LaMotta's win over SRR yesterday was described as one of the best wins ever and it surely must be up there as one of the most surprising points losses ever. The 2 couldn't have been further apart in terms of skill sets but LaMotta managed to outpoint the undefeated p4p greatest on one occasion.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Most surprising points loss Empty Re: Most surprising points loss

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 29 Mar 2012, 9:02 am

paperbag_puncher wrote:
LaMotta's win over SRR yesterday was described as one of the best wins ever and it surely must be up there as one of the most surprising points losses ever. The 2 couldn't have been further apart in terms of skill sets but LaMotta managed to outpoint the undefeated p4p greatest on one occasion.

I do agree with you PP but as I said yesterday, it is not as clear cut as it first seems. They were both kids really and Robinson was only just done with fighting lightweights whilst LaMotta was strong career middleweight. But, having said that, the difference in skillset is huge and more than evens the field against LaMotta's size and strength so I would it is a very surprising points loss, albeit with a very small asterix!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Thu 29 Mar 2012, 9:10 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
paperbag_puncher wrote:

I do agree with you PP but as I said yesterday, it is not as clear cut as it first seems. They were both kids really and Robinson was only just done with fighting lightweights whilst LaMotta was strong career middleweight. But, having said that, the difference in skillset is huge and more than evens the field against LaMotta's size and strength so I would it is a very surprising points loss, albeit with a very small asterix!

True true Tino but SRR was still 40-0 which is more fights than boxers have in their whole careers these days and had already beat Jake. So its not like he was going into the unknown. Also he didn't lose again for god knows how long after that loss so its not like he was green. But I agree you could put a very small asterix beside it.

Any other suggestions?

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 29 Mar 2012, 9:31 am

Barkley outscoring Hearns must be up there. Everyone knew that there was a chance of the crude Barkley knocking Tommy out - he'd don't it once before already, of course - but I doubt anyone thought he could get the better of him over a full twelve rounds. Not a peak Tommy, granted, but this was only a few months after Hearns had turned in a superb performance against Hill, who was a very, very difficult man to outbox himself.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 29 Mar 2012, 9:38 am

Braddock/Baer maybe?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Thu 29 Mar 2012, 9:38 am

88Chris05 wrote:Barkley outscoring Hearns must be up there. Everyone knew that there was a chance of the crude Barkley knocking Tommy out - he'd don't it once before already, of course - but I doubt anyone thought he could get the better of him over a full twelve rounds. Not a peak Tommy, granted, but this was only a few months after Hearns had turned in a superb performance against Hill, who was a very, very difficult man to outbox himself.

Speaking of Barkley I'd also throw in one of my favourite fights, Duran beating Barkley. Granted there's no comparison between their careers and achievements I don't think many would have expected Duran to win. It was a close fight and some argue it should have went the other way. But given the physical differences, the weight they were fighting at and the stages of their respective careers it was a great and surprising win.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 29 Mar 2012, 9:48 am

Excellent shout, Paperbag. Like you say, the conditions and timing of the fight made any kind of win for Duran unlikely, so for him to more than hold his own against an absolutely huge Middleweight in Barkley was a fantastic feat, given his age and the fact that he had absolutely no form going in to the bout. It sometime gets suggested that Duran got a 'gift' in that bout, but I don't believe that at all. A close fight but I've always thought that Duran won it, and the knockdown at the end was classic Roberto.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Thu 29 Mar 2012, 9:49 am

Danny Willams vs McDermott 1 - Not sure how Williams won that.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 29 Mar 2012, 9:57 am

d260005p wrote:Danny Willams vs McDermott 1 - Not sure how Williams won that.

Surely Williams would have been favourite for that fight anyway?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 29 Mar 2012, 11:03 am

88Chris05 wrote:Excellent shout, Paperbag. Like you say, the conditions and timing of the fight made any kind of win for Duran unlikely, so for him to more than hold his own against an absolutely huge Middleweight in Barkley was a fantastic feat, given his age and the fact that he had absolutely no form going in to the bout. It sometime gets suggested that Duran got a 'gift' in that bout, but I don't believe that at all. A close fight but I've always thought that Duran won it, and the knockdown at the end was classic Roberto.

That made him into my favourite fighter. Slip.Slip. Bang.Bangbang. The knockdown then the nonchalant expression and walk around. Something akin to viv richards hitting a six haha. I searched up Duran for first time and ring magazine - and that nobody does it better headline came up - then found the video and was hooked.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 29 Mar 2012, 11:05 am

?Spinksover holmes

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Thu 29 Mar 2012, 11:36 am

He was, but not by far. Williams was dropped during the contest and also lost 2 points. Still won by UD. Unreal. You have to watch it. Williams just laughed at the end. boxing

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 29 Mar 2012, 11:44 am

d260005p wrote:

He was, but not by far. Williams was dropped during the contest and also lost 2 points. Still won by UD. Unreal. You have to watch it. Williams just laughed at the end. boxing

I have watched it.

The OP said "not including robberies or fights you thought weren't scored properly" so the fight doesn't really fit the bill.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:09 pm

my wife agreeing to take three of my speeding ones.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:36 pm

Forrest losing to Mora was pretty poor from someone of his standard.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 29 Mar 2012, 6:06 pm

Forrest beating Mosley so comfortably twice was a massive shock especially as Sugar Shane was the pound for pound number one at the time and it was predicted to be a straight forward fight for him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 29 Mar 2012, 6:07 pm

Nice question

Paul Williams losing on points to Quintana was a shocker, what with his workrate

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 29 Mar 2012, 6:47 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:?Spinksover holmes
I was thinking of the first Spinks. Leon's win over Ali was a massive upset. Sure Ali was going downhill but no one expected him to lose to a 6-0-1 novice.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 29 Mar 2012, 10:32 pm

Peterson outscoring Khan was a surprising one for me. I expected Khan to win easily on points.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down