The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be?

+14
Fernando
Kay Fabe
Thunder87
talkingpoint
The Best in the World
Dolphin Ziggler
JoshSansom
Ent
theundisputedY2D2
Dr Gregory House MD
Kid Vicious
crippledtart
Samo
VDT
18 posters

Go down

Who should CM Punk face at Mania?

Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be? Vote_lcap55%Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be? Vote_rcap 55% 
[ 24 ]
Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be? Vote_lcap7%Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be? Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 3 ]
Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be? Vote_lcap5%Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be? Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be? Vote_lcap2%Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be? Vote_lcap5%Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be? Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be? Vote_lcap7%Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be? Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 3 ]
Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be? Vote_lcap19%Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be? Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 44

Poll closed

Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be? Empty Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be?

Post by VDT Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:24 pm

Forum is a bit quiet today so for a bit of fun lets have a poll!!!

Its reported that WWE are hoping to have an Undertaker vs. CM Punk showdown at Wrestlemania.

But The Undertaker is really banged up (partially his hip and shoulder), and his friends are actually hoping he doesn’t do the match.

If Taker can’t work the show, Who should CM Punk face at Mania?

VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be? Empty Re: Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be?

Post by Samo Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:47 pm

I've went for the WWE title match. With all due respect to the rest of the roster, theres no one close to Punk atm. Its only right he be in the biggest match at Mania.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be? Empty Re: Who might CM Punk’s Wrestlemania opponent be?

Post by VDT Thu 07 Feb 2013, 2:06 pm

I think the winner of the rumble should get a one on one match for the WWE Title.

I like the idea of him having a match early in the show then Worming his way into the World Title Match maybe by GTSing the challenger on the way to the ring then taking his place.
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Thu 07 Feb 2013, 2:26 pm

I think the sensible answer is Ryback. It might be a bit of a step down but it is the most logical option given how the two have been booked.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 07 Feb 2013, 2:35 pm

I'd prefer to see Punk vs Cena vs Rock

They take it to a 40minute showdown. Punk is incapacitated outside the ring. Somehow Rock gets the 1-2-3 over Cena. The whole crowd marks. Crazy mark, no one saw that coming. Wasn't the whole thing a set up for Cena? Then Dolph's music hits. WTH, no! He pins Rock for title.

Next night on Raw. "You cashed in on the wrong one!" and he's stripped of it.
Dolph has the comedy factor and indignity of another short reign. The title gets held up in a tournament which, if used wisely, can firmly establish someone else up there into the Cena-Orton-Punk Club, and Kid V gets to see so many of your hearts break cos Rock got beat when you thought he'd won.
Laugh

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 07 Feb 2013, 2:38 pm

I still fancy Punk v Taker, Rumors that Taker won't make Mania have become a yearly tradition, and I won't believe it until I see it

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 2:52 pm

I went with a triple threat WWE title match because anything else would be beneath Punk at the moment. If he isn't going to face Taker at Wrestlemania then you've got to get him in the next biggest match possible IMO.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Thu 07 Feb 2013, 4:48 pm

I'd be interested to see what the thoughts are of the people who selected OTHER are
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu 07 Feb 2013, 5:15 pm

I'd like to see him in the second or third marquee match, possibly versus Lesnar or Ryback.

He's been in the title scene for a year, had endless matches with cena and will have had 2 vs the rock by the time mania rolls round.

Triple threat for the title is another option, but cena is very likely to win it so you have the potential of Punk being pinned clean in that (I think Rock will do the job though). Then we are back into cena vs punk which we have seen too often of late.

Hard to know what to do with him.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Thu 07 Feb 2013, 6:09 pm

crippledtart wrote:I think the sensible answer is Ryback. It might be a bit of a step down but it is the most logical option given how the two have been booked.

Said this all along. Ryback will get a big, dominant victory as well if this does happen.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 07 Feb 2013, 6:17 pm

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROCK LESNAR! Would be immense

Cant see it being anything other than the triple threat if Taker is injured.

Theres not enough on the roster worthy of Punk in this run. Punk deserves a big match.

Ryback needs a win. I really hope they put him over Big Show with a big lift moment.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Thu 07 Feb 2013, 6:34 pm

chris.wilkerson13 wrote:BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROCK LESNAR! Would be immense

Cant see it being anything other than the triple threat if Taker is injured.

Theres not enough on the roster worthy of Punk in this run. Punk deserves a big match.

Ryback needs a win. I really hope they put him over Big Show with a big lift moment.

Was gonna put Brock as an option but thought there wouldn't be enough time between EC and WM for a face turn for one of them and decent fued to develop
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 07 Feb 2013, 6:38 pm

Im not sure Brock needs to do anything to become a face. People cheer for him, people mark out for Brock. All he'd have to do was take down Punk and he'd probably get cheered. In that respect he wouldnt have to become a goody, he could instantly go back to smashing up any face.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 07 Feb 2013, 6:52 pm

Apparently they are saving Brock vs Punk for the summer.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 07 Feb 2013, 6:53 pm

Cant argue with that. If Punk goes from longest modern title reign to a feud with The Rock, then (probably) Taker and then onto Brock he has had possibly the most high profile run for many years

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Best in the World Thu 07 Feb 2013, 7:14 pm

well Foley's doctor has said he should never wrestle again, so I won't go for that one.I went with Punk/Rock/Cena, as it is a match of sheer quality and anything else barring Lesnar would be beneath Punk atm
The Best in the World
The Best in the World

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:20 pm

I like the idea of tag match with Lesnar v Ryback & Sheamus, the quality of all 4 participants would actually make that combination a must see, but a simple tag match would always fail to impress and ultimately be an anticlimax. I'd have some sort of gimmick match between them, like a best out of three style match - first round submission, second round tables match and third round cage match or something; that would create plenty of spots and would allow each wrestler to showcase their particular strengths without it all being over after just one pinfall or submission.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Fri 08 Feb 2013, 1:57 pm

chris.wilkerson13 wrote:Im not sure Brock needs to do anything to become a face. People cheer for him, people mark out for Brock. All he'd have to do was take down Punk and he'd probably get cheered. In that respect he wouldnt have to become a goody, he could instantly go back to smashing up any face.

If they had Punk v Brock in a #1 contender match then they wouldn't have to change anyone face and the storyline wouldn't need to be too in-depth!

Maybe the Raw after EC have a little tournament something like Punk v Bryan and Brock v Kane with Punk and Brock winning and advancing to the finals at WM!
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thunder87 Sat 09 Feb 2013, 4:28 pm

I think the 'Taker/Punk plan will go ahead. The dead man is known for working Wrestlemania regardless of his injuries, if the match with Punk grabs his interest enough, he'll be there.

Thunder87

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 09 Feb 2013, 5:53 pm

I'd like Punk to tell Taker to ram it, unlikely I know but I'd be pretty epic in itself

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Thunder87 Sat 09 Feb 2013, 6:39 pm

That could be a way to top Rock/Cena 1 build up. If Taker, appeared this year, challenged punk to earn respect by facing him at 'mania and Punk in tern tells Taker to ram it and refuses to face Taker. Then have him appear every now and then over the next year, challenging Pink to face him and getting shot down, put the title back on Punk in time for next years 'mania, have Taker win the rumble, challenge Punk at 'mania. If Punk wins big boost to his career, if Taker hold tittle until next ppv or two the post 'mania slump isn't a worry.

Thunder87

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sat 09 Feb 2013, 6:41 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:I'd like Punk to tell Taker to ram it, unlikely I know but I'd be pretty epic in itself

OK I agree, I don't think Punk should just take the match unless he is going to benefit from it and I can't see how putting over an aging, retired for 11 months of the year Taker who only wrestles one match will benefit his career at this point?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sat 09 Feb 2013, 9:53 pm

talkingpoint wrote:
Kay Fabe wrote:I'd like Punk to tell Taker to ram it, unlikely I know but I'd be pretty epic in itself

OK I agree, I don't think Punk should just take the match unless he is going to benefit from it and I can't see how putting over an aging, retired for 11 months of the year Taker who only wrestles one match will benefit his career at this point?

It'll benefit his wallet no end

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 09 Feb 2013, 9:59 pm

If Punk did that within 3 months he'll be midcard at best, You don't mess with the deadman backstage with his influence

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sat 09 Feb 2013, 10:20 pm

Fernando wrote:If Punk did that within 3 months he'll be midcard at best, You don't mess with the deadman backstage with his influence

which is ridiculous as Punk has arguably been the biggest thing in the WWE for the last 2 years; he's been a breath of fresh air, is hands down the most talented all round wrestler on the roster and has got what he deserved after paying his dues over the last few years putting over many others and biding his time waiting for his title run. If Taker still has that much influence backstage against one of the WWE's elite stars then there's something wrong. Taker has built a legacy for himself but he also needs to allow the next generation to surpass him. It's unhealthy and bad for business otherwise.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by x12x Sat 09 Feb 2013, 11:33 pm

Anything other than a big match would be a bit weird for Punk seeing as he's just been champion for so long...I think a triple threat with Cena and The Rock wouldn't help him as it's obvious the WWE want their poster boy back to get more kids in to wrestling so I think the only option that matches Punks ability would be a match against Taker but then again this could pose a problem...if he loses then that'll be the second "part time" wrestler who's beaten him in a few months and could hurt all the progress made after the championship run but if he wins then where does he go from there?

x12x

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 09 Feb 2013, 11:59 pm

That's the problem with saddling Punk with Taker, Rock, a part timer at best beats him, then 1 match a year Undertaker beats him, then we think Austin will be back next year too so that's another loss for Punk, he needs big wins on the big stage, that's the only way to get guys over as legitimate box office players, having them win big matches at the biggest events against the best the company has to offer

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sun 10 Feb 2013, 12:17 am

Kay Fabe wrote:That's the problem with saddling Punk with Taker, Rock, a part timer at best beats him, then 1 match a year Undertaker beats him, then we think Austin will be back next year too so that's another loss for Punk, he needs big wins on the big stage, that's the only way to get guys over as legitimate box office players, having them win big matches at the biggest events against the best the company has to offer

Personally I'd love to see Punk v Taker at Mania so maybe I'm biased but I don't think a credieble performance for the streak hurts him in anyway and would give him a massive spot on the card plus would put some $$$$ in Mr Brooks bank account.

Also I can't see Punk losing to Austin, unlike Rock and Taker, Austin probably has only got one match left in him and I believe he's clever enough to do the right thing and he clearly has a lot of time for Punk.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 10 Feb 2013, 12:17 am

Kay Fabe wrote: then we think Austin will be back next year too so that's another loss for Punk, he needs big wins on the big stage

You don't think Austin wouldn't put him over then?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 10 Feb 2013, 1:37 am

I think Austin would win a big pay-off match between the two, Punk would generate so much heat with being an antagonist that by the time the match came around we'd be begging for Austin to shut his Alcohol Free mouth for us. I think it'd be a pretty great feud to be honest but if Austin went out on a loss like he did in 03 then we'd all be waiting on him having that 1 last match again

I personally think most who by next years Mania should it headline Punk/Austin then I believe the majority will be buying it to see Austin win then drench Mr straight edge with a few Steve wisers as he gives it to the fans one last time, by that time I think Punks role would be pretty hineous anyway so the loss may not hurt him much.

I do genuinely believe though that Austin would go over Punk

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 10 Feb 2013, 2:35 pm

If Punk does go into a rumoured feud with Lesnar over summer and he wins then he recovers momentum and would look big enough to beat Austin.

I'm not sure who on the roster he can face and beat who would also be worthy of a match with Punk. Ryback is the obvious one but I think Ryback needs to win. Sheamus isn't marquee enough for the year Punk has had.

Losing to Taker would be so inevitable that I think it probably would just be ignored rather than a blot on his copybook

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 10 Feb 2013, 2:52 pm

I'd have no problem with him facing Taker normally, but from October-December he was booked like a coward vs Ryback, then he lost to Rock at the Rumble and will lose the re-match at the Elimination Chamber, how does that make him look like a legitimate threat for the Streak? He's not going to be on A strong run heading into Mania at all.

If they wanted to go Punk/Taker it shoulf have started months ago, have Punk use his pipebombing to drop subtle hints at how Taker conspired against him, then at the Chamber they could have put the WWE Title on the line, Punk out first, he could be the star of the show, pin or submit three of his opponents before the lights go out and when they're back on Rock hits a Rock Bottom for the win to retain the belt

That way we would have had a hook, a reason and have Punk looking a million bucks heading into the match and he'd look like a genuine threat, I'd also have Punk demand to go on last or he's not granting Taker 'his moment'

While I don't think it would go on last I feel that if we think it could go on last then we might buy into the fact he could beat him

As it is now though, Punk would be on a losing streak, how are we meant to believe he could do what Shawn Michaels couldn't?

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 10 Feb 2013, 4:04 pm

I just don't think there's many other options. It's a triple threat option with Cena and Rock which he's bound to lose and then weakens him for future title chase from Cena.

Then there's Lesnar, which would be my choice, but he looks very much set for HHH, or if not HHH then Taker. Funnily enough I think you could make an argument for Lesnar to go for Taker and HHH vs. Punk. It's quite a big match and one he could win.

Ryback hasn't had a win at a PPV yet, is being booked as a burgeoning main eventer and would lose a lot of momentum if his first Mania was a defeat.

Sheamus remains an option, but there are better feuds for him and the story would have to be really cobbled together.

I'd say if you were to pick anyone on the roster who could be given the streak then Punk may only be topped by Cena. The kayfabe reasoning is a little weak, but then he held the title for 400 days so he's obviously got that to talk up. I think you can justify his threat from a smark standpoint though.

It's not ideal, but it may just be a combination of the most logical and the most likely. He didnt really lose clean to The Rock, there was enough whiff of controversy for a heel to exploit, he may not lose cleanly at EC either. Slight protection in that.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by CenaNuff Sun 10 Feb 2013, 5:07 pm

For me he has to be involved with Cena and Rock. I did tip him 6 months or so ago to end the streak although I would be surprised now if he gets involved with Taker, seems like it has been left too late for any meaningful feud between them to start.

I would hate to see him in any of the other matches in the OP, there are plenty of better opponents for him to face, ie Brock, HHH, Stone Cold, The Shield, Ziggler, Jericho, even Vince. Pitting him against somebody like Sheamus or Ryback would be a waste. The Mania crowd would kill them too, wouldn't be pretty.

CenaNuff

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Mon 11 Feb 2013, 3:04 pm

The most important thing for CM Punk is to be involved in a big match at WM, win or lose it don't get much bigger than the streak. CM Punk is good enough to make a believer out of us that he can beat Taker, and during the match there would be moments when we believe he will do it.

The Rock lost his first 3 big WM matches and that didn't hurt him. If CM Punk is as good as we all think, he can come back from a defeat against Taker.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Mon 18 Feb 2013, 6:22 pm

Anyones thoughts changed after last nights results?
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Mon 18 Feb 2013, 6:27 pm

leaning more towards Brock 1v1 now, still no news on taker being at wm so the spot last night with heyman could be setting it up for Brock

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 18 Feb 2013, 6:27 pm

Hook, line and sinker its Taker

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down