The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jamie Carragher announces retirement at the end of the season

+8
Ent
Nakatomi Plaza
mobilemaster8
Good Golly I'm Olly
GSC
Kenny
nasisillmatic
Crimey
12 posters

Go down

Jamie Carragher announces retirement at the end of the season Empty Jamie Carragher announces retirement at the end of the season

Post by Crimey Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:19 am

Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher has announced that he will retire at the end of the season. The 35-year-old has made more than 700 senior appearances for Liverpool, and is second only to Ian Callaghan in the club's all-time appearance table. Carragher, who won 38 caps for England, will leave the club in the summer.

"I'm making this announcement because I don't want the manager to be answering questions when I've already decided what I am going to do," he said.

Carragher, who was out of contract at the end of the season, joined Liverpool's youth system aged nine and made his first-team debut against Middlesbrough in January 1997. He was part of the Reds side that won the Uefa Cup in 2001 and Champions League in 2005, and picked up two FA Cup winners' medals and three League Cup titles.

"I will be fully committed between now and the end of the season to doing the very best for Liverpool Football Club, as I have done my entire career since joining aged just nine," said Carragher. "It has been a privilege and an honour to represent this great club for as long as I have. There are many memories I want to share and people to thank, but now is not the time for that. I won't be making any further comment on this decision until the end of the season; all our focus and concentration should be on achieving the best possible finish in the league this season and trying to win the last remaining trophy [Europa League] we are competing in."

I think it's hard not to respect Carragher, who like Giggs and Scholes has managed to stay at one club and represent one club for so long in an era where people move alarmingly regularly. He clearly loves playing for Liverpool and has fulfilled so many roles over the years just to get into the first XI and has always been one of the most consistent players for Liverpool, rarely making a mistake.

While a lot will criticise Carragher for not being the best with the ball technically, or not scoring enough goals from set-pieces etc. for all Liverpool fans and many other fans will see him for the qualities that he has offered. He's always the last man standing, blocking everything and anything, he's also always been a leader on the pitch, Gerrard may be captain but Carragher is the vocal one, Carragher is the one organising the players at the back. I'd be very surprised if Carragher doesn't become, at the very least, a coach, and I for one would welcome him back at Liverpool as a coach because I think he's clearly got a very sharp football brain which he seems to have picked up over the years.

I think it's better that he's going out now, having only played for Liverpool and not letting his legacy be destroyed. Granted, he hasn't been as solid at the back as years gone by, but he's always been a good influence at the back when he has been called upon and has seemed happy to pass the baton to players like Skrtel and Agger who, particularly the former, seemed to have picked up a lot of Carragher's traits. Last season he even played a defensive midfielder role against Manchester United, and to the shock of me and everybody played very well. I'm actually surprised he has chosen to declare it now because in recent weeks he has had something of a resurgence, knocking Skrtel out of the team and putting in some very good defensive performances against Arsenal and Manchester City.

Carragher's finest moment for me will always be the Champions League final. While many remember Gerrard's fierce header, Smicer's curling shot or Dudek's saves and wobbly legs, I can always remember Carragher putting in last ditch block after last ditch block, in extra time after every crucial defensive move he'd be on the ground, cramp setting in. The full extent of his injuries would show when he could barely walk up the steps to the trophy because he literally put his body on the line to win the biggest prize for the club.

Jamie Carragher, for me, will always stand as one of the biggest Liverpool legends ever. What do others think?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Jamie Carragher announces retirement at the end of the season Empty Re: Jamie Carragher announces retirement at the end of the season

Post by nasisillmatic Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:31 am

I agree, Liverpool legend 100%, he will be sorely missed. I can imagine training won't be the same without him.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Jamie Carragher announces retirement at the end of the season Empty Re: Jamie Carragher announces retirement at the end of the season

Post by Kenny Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:33 am

From humble beginnings ( were i wasn't sure he was good enough to be honest ) Jamie developed into a fantastic defender , his partnership with Sami Hyypia should go down as one of the best in Premier league history .

His goal scoring exploits are legendary Laugh more in his own net then the oppositions .

I am truly sad to see him hang up his boots as i would of liked him to carry on for a season or two as a back up defender , but i respect his decision that if he were to carry on he wanted to play more games .

I also hope he stays on in coaching role of some kind .

Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:35 am

I think this shouldve come 1 or 2 years earlier. Has been a shadow of himself the last couple of years.

What he lacked maybe in overall talent he more than made up for in commitment. Unfortunate to play in the same era as Sol, Rio and Terry in terms of England.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:40 am

GSC wrote:I think this shouldve come 1 or 2 years earlier. Has been a shadow of himself the last couple of years.

If you had said that last season, I would have fully agreed, however this year he seems to have changed his game slightly and has been a rock at the back against some top opposition. Last season I said he was finished and should retire, but this year he's shown that he probably does have a lot to offer. However I think it's best that he goes out before time does really catch up with him.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:42 am

I love the way Carragher plays. He doesn't have the natural ability some do, but he is just one of those guys that if your backs are against the wall, you can look to him to lead you through it.

A real leader
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:47 am

Im not a fan of Liverpool and their ethics, but in Gerard and Carragher, they un-earthed 2 real leaders of the game as we know it.

Carragher has been an absolute inspiration to Liverpool and wears his heart on his sleeve whether 37 or 9 years old when he started there.

I hope he has an injury free run in until May and retires on a high.

Never won the League, but having a couple of FA Cup winners medals, a Champions League, numerous League Cups along with over 700 appearances just shows what class act he has been.

Whether im a fan of Liverpool or not.........what i am a fan of is world class players embracing the Premier League, and "Carra" has been no exception.

All the best to an outstanding contributor and player.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:49 am

I made a joking comment watching last season's FA cup semi final that Carragher should have retired at half time. He's come back strong this season, in particular against Arsenal.

I think he's going out at the right time, and will make a decent coach for Liverpool.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:50 am

I do think he probably decided at the start of the season that it'd be his last and is making a huge effort to go out on a high. I'd love to see the season ending with him lifting the Europa League.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:51 am

GSC wrote:I think this shouldve come 1 or 2 years earlier. Has been a shadow of himself the last couple of years.

What he lacked maybe in overall talent he more than made up for in commitment. Unfortunate to play in the same era as Sol, Rio and Terry in terms of England.

Whats even more of a shame is that he was just as good as those you mention.

Sol was at Arsenal who had been winning the league/fa cup along with unbeaten runs, Rio made a HUGE transfer to the number 1 club at the time in Man Utd and went on to win numerous titles and John Terry was the vocal point of a Chelsea team, who, in 2003, turned the Premier League on its head with copious amounts of money which inevitably brought them titles back to back.

Had Jamie been in ANY of those squads, and had any of thos mentioned players been at an underachieving Liverpool squad, he would have been picked hands down.

Well, thats how i feel anyway!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:41 am

Carragher is one of those players who you just know would throw himself in the way of anything to help his team win .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:08 am

Eh, Carragher and Rio 2 different types of CBs. Can't really put him above Terry, he was one of the best in the world under Mourinho. Sol was a rock.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:16 am

Average, journey man really.

What's the fuss all about?

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:19 am

Ent wrote:Average, journey man really.

Plays at one club all his career. Called a journeyman picard
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:25 am

Olly wrote:

Ill not embarrass you but journey man means undistinguished rather then well travelled.

http://m.dictionary.com/d/?q=journeyman

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:39 am

A 100% Liverpool legend, could play anywhere at the back, was both-footed, won everything at Liverpool bar the league, was unwaveringly loyal and was an example to footballers everywhere. I wish him the best of luck where ever his future career takes him. clap

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:55 am

Ent wrote:
Olly wrote:

Ill not embarrass you but journey man means undistinguished rather then well travelled.

In football it is almost always used as a term for a player who didn't ever settle at one club.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:59 am

Crimey wrote:
Ent wrote:
Olly wrote:

In football it is almost always used as a term for a player who didn't ever settle at one club.

I'm afraid it isn't, people get confused with the meaning as it tends to be undistinguished players who hoof it from club to club at a lower level.

No one calls Anelka etc journey men as they have talent and ability.

My links playing up but:

"any experienced, competent but routine worker or performer. "

Anyway lets not be pedants, he was competent but undistinguished in my opinion and I don't get the fuss over his retirement i.e. main story on sports pages.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:05 am

Crimey wrote:
Ent wrote:
Olly wrote:

This is what I was referring too. I've never heard a footballer been called a journeyman because he was undistinguished.

Either way Carragher is neither
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:08 am

Whatever the meaning , i dont see how you can label Carragher one ?

over 700 first team games
over 30 international caps
Played in 2 World cups

FA Cup winner twice
League Cup winner three times
Champions League winner
UEFA cup winner
UEFA Super cup winner twice
PFA Team of the year 2006

i bet there are plenty of players who wish they had such a career
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:32 am

Meh John O'Shea has 83 international caps, played at the euros and has won

Premier League (5): 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11
FA Cup (1): 2003–04
Football League Cup (3): 2005–06, 2008–09 2009–10
FA Community Shield (4): 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010
UEFA Champions League (1): 2007–08
FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008

But I would say he was competent but undistinguished.

Carragher was average, don't see the fuss about him - as I recall when he broke into the team at fullback Liverpool fans werent keen on him, then he had a stint at centre half in a very defensive side under Houllier and won them over. He's been struggling for the last few years and was never really a top international player.

Also should have been banned for life over the coin incident in the early 2000's.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:33 am

Olly wrote:
Crimey wrote:
Ent wrote:
Olly wrote:

This is what I was referring too. I've never heard a footballer been called a journeyman because he was undistinguished.

Either way Carragher is neither

Well that is what it means, you don't call talented players who move a lot journey men...

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:37 am

Ent wrote:Meh John O'Shea has 83 international caps, played at the euros and has won

Carragher was average, don't see the fuss about him - as I recall when he broke into the team at fullback Liverpool fans werent keen on him, then he had a stint at centre half in a very defensive side under Houllier and won them over. He's been struggling for the last few years and was never really a top international player.

Also should have been banned for life over the coin incident in the early 2000's.

I wouldn't call O'Shea a journeyman either though , he had a good career at UTD and imo should of played more games and now is Sunderland captain and by all accounts playing very well for them
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:48 am

O'Shea was also a bit-part for United for most of his career despite short runs where he was used more. Carragher was the spine of the Liverpool side during their most recent good run where they competed at the very top of Europe and Premier League.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:57 am

Crimey wrote:O'Shea was also a bit-part for United for most of his career despite short runs where he was used more. Carragher was the spine of the Liverpool side during their most recent good run where they competed at the very top of Europe and Premier League.

Agreed, just shows you a list of honours doesn't really mean anything.

I don't mind if people don't agree, but I don't see the fuss about him, he was solid in a team that at their pomp played very defensively. Poor at fullback and never a regular international.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:22 am

Jamie is a complete legend for Liverpool and in the game its self. He has proven he can still do a job when called into, but obviously is going to start anymore on a full time basis. Good time to call the end to his impressive career IMO really hope he gets involved in coaching in some capacity at Liverpool football club.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:22 pm

Ent wrote:
Crimey wrote:O'Shea was also a bit-part for United for most of his career despite short runs where he was used more. Carragher was the spine of the Liverpool side during their most recent good run where they competed at the very top of Europe and Premier League.

Agreed, just shows you a list of honours doesn't really mean anything.

I don't mind if people don't agree, but I don't see the fuss about him, he was solid in a team that at their pomp played very defensively. Poor at fullback and never a regular international.

You don't see what the fuss is about because he plays for Liverpool and you support Man Utd. You can call him ordinary, journey man, nothing special all you want, but at Liverpool he will go down as a legend.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:50 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:

Sol was at Arsenal who had been winning the league/fa cup along with unbeaten runs, Rio made a HUGE transfer to the number 1 club at the time in Man Utd and went on to win numerous titles and John Terry was the vocal point of a Chelsea team, who, in 2003, turned the Premier League on its head with copious amounts of money which inevitably brought them titles back to back.

Had Jamie been in ANY of those squads, and had any of thos mentioned players been at an underachieving Liverpool squad, he would have been picked hands down.

Sol joined Arsenal before the invincibles. He and Kolo were truly great at the back. I agree with Rio, he's not as great as people like to think. After he joined United they didn't win the title again until they signed Vidic.

John Terry has been the heartbeat of Chelsea's back four for 11 years now since partnering Desailly. Roman's money didn't turn the Premier League on its head. Chelsea were already a good side having qualified for Europe every year from 97 including 2 Champions League spots after finishing 3rd in 98/99 and 4th in 02/03. The Mourinho team was built around JT and Lamps.

For me Carra should of been ahead if Rio but behind Terry and Sol but when Sol and Rio declined players like Cahill and Jagielka came along. Tough going for Carra but he'll go down as one of the greats. I'll never forget his goal for West Ham in the 06 FA Cup final.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:51 pm

Ent wrote:Meh John O'Shea has 83 international caps, played at the euros and has won

Think your picking a bad topic to wind up Liverpool fans. Am not even going to lower down to your level.

Carragher is a Liverpool legend and was an outstanding CB in his pomp.

Jamie Carragher announces retirement at the end of the season 1096504860

Well all dream of a team of Carraghers,

a team of Carraghers,

a team of Carraghers!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:56 pm

MockingJay33 wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:

Sol joined Arsenal before the invincibles. He and Kolo were truly great at the back. I agree with Rio, he's not as great as people like to think. After he joined United they didn't win the title again until they signed Vidic.
John Terry has been the heartbeat of Chelsea's back four for 11 years now since partnering Desailly. Roman's money didn't turn the Premier League on its head. Chelsea were already a good side having qualified for Europe every year from 97 including 2 Champions League spots after finishing 3rd in 98/99 and 4th in 02/03. The Mourinho team was built around JT and Lamps.

For me Carra should of been ahead if Rio but behind Terry and Sol but when Sol and Rio declined players like Cahill and Jagielka came along. Tough going for Carra but he'll go down as one of the greats. I'll never forget his goal for West Ham in the 06 FA Cup final.

That's not true. Ferdinand joined United in 2002, and he won his first title in 2003. Vidic didn't join till 2006.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:10 pm

Ok so he won a title playing Blanc, Brown, Silvestre, O'Shea and the Neville's.

When he was the main man they only won an FA Cup, beating Millwall, and a League Cup, playing Wigan in the final, so my point still holds truth. He's been hanging on the coat tails of better players.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:51 pm

I'd say that Carragher was better at defending, but Ferdinand's all round game is what got him in the England team before Carra. Rio is very good on the ball and can always chip in with the odd goal.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:22 pm

nasisillmatic wrote:I'd say that Carragher was better at defending, but Ferdinand's all round game is what got him in the England team before Carra. Rio is very good on the ball and can always chip in with the odd goal.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Rio's by far the more naturally talented of the two, and gets scrutinized more. But as a centre half, I agree with GSC, Carragher a step down from the likes of Rio, JT and Sol.

I wouldn't say he's been Liverpool's best centre half of the Premier League era, that's Sami Hyppia. It wasn't until Henchoz went off the boil that Carra was made centre half, and I think the Liverpool side of 2001 - 2003 vintage is probably their strongest of this era.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:01 am

Id say from 2004 - 2009 Carragher was in his pomp

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:27 am

I think the Liverpool side from 2007-09 was easily the strongest side in this era, in the 08-09 season the side lost just twice and got the most points ever (at the time) for a second placed team. It was only a Ronaldo driven Manchester United that stopped Liverpool getting the Premier League again with Carragher as part of the spine of the side.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:29 am

Crimey wrote:I think the Liverpool side from 2007-09 was easily the strongest side in this era, in the 08-09 season the side lost just twice and got the most points ever (at the time) for a second placed team. It was only a Ronaldo driven Manchester United that stopped Liverpool getting the Premier League again with Carragher as part of the spine of the side.

Very true. We were also feared in Europe.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:33 am

Yeah we beat Barcelona, Inter Milan and Real Madrid on their home grounds. Got to Champions League finals and semi-finals, beat Real Madrid 4-1, beat United 4-1. I don't think the 2001-03 era even comes close.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down