The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crying wolf

+2
break_in_the_fifth
newballs
6 posters

Go down

Crying wolf Empty Crying wolf

Post by newballs Fri 25 Jan 2013, 1:45 pm

Azarenka’s 10 minute “injury” time out has caused a barrage of criticism ahead of her final with Li Na.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/victoria-azarenka-likely-to-receive-frosty-reception-at-womens-australian-open-final-against--li-na-8466408.html

When she failed to close out the match at 5-3 and serving for the match against Stephens she started hyper-ventilating and called for the trainer. Disappearing to return 10 minutes later she then broke Stephens who had sat there non-plussed throughout the enforced interval. She later claimed it was due to nerves and subsequently even a panic attack.

Now there are two issues here. Firstly a legitimate timeout should have taken no more than 5 mins in total (Serena’s did for her back spasm against Stephens). A minute or so to leave the court, three minutes time treatment and one minute to return to the court.

Secondly nerves don’t constitute a “treatable medical condition”. A full blown panic attack might but it’s a controversial point.

She stands accused of using a tactical time out in essence and gamesmanship. And it’s not the first time she's cried wolf either so let's hope next time round she doesn't get the chance to put one over on her opponent especially if it's Li Na.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Crying wolf Empty Re: Crying wolf

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 25 Jan 2013, 1:48 pm

Her shriek when she hits the ball sounds like a crying wolf. That's enough reason to dislike her without going into this kind of analysis.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Jan 2013, 1:50 pm

I recall Steffi having toilet breaks, when her opponent served for matches too. Kuzzy had an enormous "break" against Wozniacki too. It's not on, should be an immediate point penalty, if youre not on court when it starts, then youre not there to receiver the first ball

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Fri 25 Jan 2013, 2:10 pm

Of course there are all sorts of tactics players have employed over the years. 10 minutes for a time out legitimate or otherwise is a new one on me though.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 25 Jan 2013, 2:31 pm

Don't like Azarenka one bit really. However she is trained at Bolletieri where they teach people these bad tactics.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 25 Jan 2013, 2:36 pm

I see Azarenka has taken over from Serena as the female player everyone will have a go at given 0.1% of a chance Rolling Eyes

She's actually becoming a favourite of mine.

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 25 Jan 2013, 3:08 pm

Not really, she's been shrieking like that since I first saw her. No need for it whatsoever. I can't believe you can still take her seriously. If you guys are willing to overlook that then there's no limit to the other things you'd be willing to overlook...

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Fri 25 Jan 2013, 3:45 pm

banbrotam wrote:I see Azarenka has taken over from Serena as the female player everyone will have a go at given 0.1% of a chance Rolling Eyes

She's actually becoming a favourite of mine.

Had a lot of time for Serena myself. OK so the rants at officials and the pretty graceless comments after the Stephens match weren't wonderful but I like her street fighting qualities.

Azarenka, on the other hand, is often a total pain the a**e but good luck to you in your supporting her.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 25 Jan 2013, 4:06 pm

newballs wrote:Azarenka, on the other hand, is often a total pain the a**e but good luck to you in your supporting her.

Actually I'm indifferent. I was just raising my eyes at the latest bogey person, lots of people seem to have an issue with

Off court, she seems quite an engaging person and handled the ridiculous hostility to her time out very well

So, apart from her grunting, why do you find her a pain

I'm just interested, as to if there is anything I've missed

I hope she wins, tommorow, simply because she's the only one of the youngsters with the courage not to be dwarfed by Serena / Maria etc

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Fri 25 Jan 2013, 4:26 pm

banbrotam when she came on the scene it was pretty obvious she was going to be a top player and I had some sympathy for her when niggling injuries often got in her way before she could reach the top of her game.

Since then she has not exactly endeared herself from what I've heard with many of the other players and is considered rather aloof and arrogant. As a spectator well her behaviour could be considered boorish at times (e.g insistence of listening to her ipod when introduced to the crowd), her noise levels are frankly alarming and rather prolonged and it's obvious that i don't like her gamesmanship.

She is a really good player but a little humility would go a long way.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 25 Jan 2013, 4:31 pm

newballs wrote:banbrotam when she came on the scene it was pretty obvious she was going to be a top player and I had some sympathy for her when niggling injuries often got in her way before she could reach the top of her game.

Since then she has not exactly endeared herself from what I've heard with many of the other players and is considered rather aloof and arrogant. As a spectator well her behaviour could be considered boorish at times (e.g insistence of listening to her ipod when introduced to the crowd), her noise levels are frankly alarming and rather prolonged and it's obvious that i don't like her gamesmanship.

She is a really good player but a little humility would go a long way.

I half agree. I just think it can be harder for some people to become adults, when they are thrust into the public at a younger age. I do think in recent months she's improved her 'off court' attitude

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 25 Jan 2013, 4:32 pm

It's on court that shows who you really are though right?

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 25 Jan 2013, 4:46 pm

Oh come on, I watched the match, she got cramped badly at the start of 2nd set, to her credit she never called trainer or anybody even though at times she could barely move, if she wouldn't have had the problem it could have even be a bagel at the 2nd set.

The pain finally took over and she could not focus either.

The controversy came coz she didn't understand the question put to her on the post match interview and she completely gave a wrong reply thinking a different question, she however clarified the issue in the media later.

So blame Vika here is absurd, even if Sloane would have won the 2nd set [which she was no way near] Vika would have still closed the 3rd easy if she didn't have any medical issues.

It was too clear from the 1st and until the mid of 2nd set when she got cramped that she was way ahead above her opponent in terms of class and toughness.

I am sorry Li Na would have no chance against this Vika.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Fri 25 Jan 2013, 5:59 pm

ic the timeout had nothing to do with cramp. Whether injured or not she wanted time to collect her thoughts after squandering the set points.

Also I happen to know what a panic attack is (I've experienced a few myself) and her claim she suffered one is nonsense unless she had one in the privacy of the assessment area. Don't believe me but check out the comments from the ex pros for yourself - they don't make comfortable reading.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Jan 2013, 6:07 pm

Fair enough if she had time out for cramp but 10 MINUTES? thats against the rules... plain and simply, the usual medical time out restriction should apply

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 26 Jan 2013, 8:38 pm

I think Azarenka's grunting is deliberate gamesmanship. In essence, it's almost cheating. Even if it's involuntary, she ought to work harder to stop it. She is damaging the women's game. I have seen multiple sources comment that they saw her in training and there is no such grunting...

Most of why I dislike her is due to the grunting. Many others grunt but hers is more ridiculous.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 26 Jan 2013, 8:43 pm

I think one of the problems with tennis is that you go from no penalty to disqualification too quickly. Maybe the rule should be that after 7 minutes off court you lose a point, lose another point after 8 minutes, or 10, etc.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down