The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Hull Kingston Rovers Thread

+5
Steel
Ozzy3213
Pal Joey
davidl1061
Kenny
9 posters

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Hull Kingston Rovers Thread - Page 11 Empty The Hull Kingston Rovers Thread

Post by Luke Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:47 am

First topic message reminder :

The title of the thread says it all.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

The Hull Kingston Rovers Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The Hull Kingston Rovers Thread

Post by The Beast Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:41 am

Good to see you getting off the mark Luke. The first two fixtures looked tough, no disgrace losing to Wakey and Leeds.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

The Hull Kingston Rovers Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The Hull Kingston Rovers Thread

Post by Luke Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:24 am

Thanks.

Wasn’t a good game But a wins a win, and we needed it. Still think we're going to be in the middle 8's. Next few games will tell us more, as we've got Salford A,Cas h & Catalans a.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:56 am

Luke wrote:Thanks.

Wasn’t a good game  But a wins a win, and we needed it. Still think we're going to be in the middle 8's. Next few games will tell us more, as we've got Salford A,Cas h & Catalans a.
2 wins out of the next 3 games will set you up for the season

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:36 pm

Wasn’t a good game  But a wins a win, and we needed it. Still think we're going to be in the middle 8's. Next few games will tell us more, as we've got Salford A,Cas h & Catalans a.

This is in no way meant as knocking Hull KR who are clearly a great club but IMO with the current structures anyone newly promoted then finishing the following year in the top 8 will be a major achievement. I don't see you as finishing bottom or being candidates for relegation, if the middle 8's include Leigh, Toronto & Toulouse it will be arguably the most competitive to date and well worth watching. How they will deal with the travel (+ if Catalans are there again)........good luck to the RFL.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:52 pm

The Beast wrote:

This is in no way meant as knocking Hull KR who are clearly a great club but IMO with the current structures anyone newly promoted then finishing the following year in the top 8 will be a major achievement.  I don't see you as finishing bottom or being candidates for relegation, if the middle 8's include Leigh, Toronto & Toulouse it will be arguably the most competitive to date and well worth watching. How they will deal with the travel (+ if Catalans are there again)........good luck to the RFL.
The way the Catalans are playing i don't expect them to win a regular season game this season

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:48 am

Might have made this comment before however I always admire KR to put in a performance following a poor showing and this again on Thursday night, stuffing Huddersfield, hard to believe it was the same team after Catalans. I have seen the highlights, the first try (Heffernan) as slick a planned move as we will see this season, well played.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:02 am

The Beast wrote:Might have made this comment before however I always admire KR to put in a performance following a poor showing and this again on Thursday night, stuffing Huddersfield, hard to believe it was the same team after Catalans.  I have seen the highlights, the first try (Heffernan) as slick a planned move as we will see this season, well played.

Thanks.
We played very well on Thursday. Defensively I thought we were excellent. And we took our tries very well, I personally thought that the third try (Shaw 1st) showed how much training we did last week.
Needed it as our next 4 include Saints h, Hull h, and Wigan a.

Good luck tomorrow, I sort of hope that we get you next rd. Always intresting games, and the last time I saw a game between us it was the last time we played in the CC (we won 50-30). I could handle that again.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:02 am

Luke wrote:
The Beast wrote:Might have made this comment before however I always admire KR to put in a performance following a poor showing and this again on Thursday night, stuffing Huddersfield, hard to believe it was the same team after Catalans.  I have seen the highlights, the first try (Heffernan) as slick a planned move as we will see this season, well played.

Thanks.
We played very well on Thursday. Defensively I thought we were excellent. And we took our tries very well, I personally thought that the third try (Shaw 1st) showed how much training we did last week.

Good luck tomorrow, I sort of hope that we get you next rd. Always intresting games, and the last time I saw a game between us it was the last time we played in the CC (we won 50-30). I could handle that again.

Well Bulls have Wire away so sadly pretty well zero chance for the round thereafter. I could handle the current Bulls side holding KR or any other SL side to 20 points, frankly I would be surprised. I note you have Fax away which I think you will win but will not of course be easy.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:52 am

The Beast wrote:
Luke wrote:

Thanks.

Well Bulls have Wire away so sadly pretty well zero chance for the round thereafter.  I could handle the current Bulls side holding KR or any other SL side to 20 points, frankly I would be surprised.  I note you have Fax away which I think you will win but will not of course be easy.

No, we've got Oldham away.
Guess we'll just have to meet at the final Very Happy

Tough draw for you, suppose nice day for the fans and all. But would have been better at home .
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:10 am

Do you know I meant to type "Oldham or Fax with the latter more likely" but skipped that part. Great win for them, looking forward to Good Friday when they are at Odsal or at least I was until they changed the k.o. time meaning I am struggling to go. I don't think you will have too many problems against them, yes a decent side who could arguably be a lower Championship side but it should be a win.

Unless Warrington play their reserves I would again stick with pretty well no chance for Bradford, that is assuming they beat Hunslet of course.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:47 am

The Beast wrote:Do you know I meant to type "Oldham or Fax with the latter more likely" but skipped that part.  Great win for them, looking forward to Good Friday when they are at Odsal or at least I was until they changed the k.o. time meaning I am struggling to go.  I don't think you will have too many problems against them, yes a decent side who could arguably be a lower Championship side but it should be a win.

Unless Warrington play their reserves I would again stick with pretty well no chance for Bradford, that is assuming they beat Hunslet of course.

Funny enough, I had the same thoughts 2 years ago (and then we were at home to them). And we know what happened then.
Personally I do think we should win, it will be hard but I think we should do it over the 80 mins. Be intresting to see what side he plays.

I don't think you'll beat Warrington, but I do think you'll give them a decent game
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:22 pm

I saw the Derby game on TV, entertaining match on the whole I don't think you had the rub of the green, can't understand how the first Hull try was allowed??

I do think your halves lost their way and that may have been the difference however Atkin looked very impressive for 20 - 30 minutes but seemed to fade as the game went on. Marsh can certainly tackle but I think you missed Maguire's experience.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:47 pm

Just to add of course, Lunt who IMO is international standard, anyone would miss him.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:30 am

The Beast wrote:I saw the Derby game on TV, entertaining match on the whole I don't think you had the rub of the green, can't understand how the first Hull try was allowed??

I do think your halves lost their way and that may have been the difference however Atkin looked very impressive for 20 - 30 minutes but seemed to fade as the game went on. Marsh can certainly tackle but I think you missed Maguire's experience.

Agree about the 1st try, and also think Quinlin's was also. The obstruction rule at the moment is a joke as that's about the 3rd or 4th try like that that's not been given.
Thing is, we gave it a go. But defensively we were poor (they had 12 men, but we're still creating overlaps). And attacking wise, we didn't do enough to stretch them.
Thought Atkin had no help from Marsh, which is why he faded. And Salter was poor.
But Quinlin was excellent.
Wigan again on Monday, another loss. Before the big one in Widnes at home.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:39 am

Luke wrote:
The Beast wrote:I saw the Derby game on TV, entertaining match on the whole I don't think you had the rub of the green, can't understand how the first Hull try was allowed??

Agree about the 1st try, and also think Quinlin's was also. The obstruction rule at the moment is a joke as that's about the 3rd or 4th try like that that's not been given.
Thing is, we gave it a go. But defensively we were poor (they had 12 men, but we're still creating overlaps). And attacking wise, we didn't do enough to stretch them.
Thought Atkin had no help from Marsh, which is why he faded. And Salter was poor.
Wigan again on Monday,  another loss. Before the big one in Widnes at home.

I would have been happier it the Houghton try was ruled out and Quinlin allowed for sure. Some questioning the sending off but for I cannot see why, those are "tackles" that need to be cut out of the game.

One matter Phil Clarke on Sky commentary picked up was Justin Carney being a bit disappointing. I did watch thereafter and I have to agree he does not seem the same player from 2-3 years ago and was all over the place for the Jake Connor try when they created one of the overlaps you mention (huge gap at that), is he not 100% fit? Looks to be a yard short of pace and lacked his usual aggression.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:10 am

The Beast wrote:
Luke wrote:

Wigan again on Monday,  another loss. Before the big one in Widnes at home.

I would have been happier it the Houghton try was ruled out and Quinlin allowed for sure.  Some questioning the sending off but for I cannot see why, those are "tackles" that need to be cut out of the game.

One matter Phil Clarke on Sky commentary picked up was Justin Carney being a bit disappointing.  I did watch thereafter and I have to agree he does not seem the same player from 2-3 years ago and was all over the place for the Jake Connor try when they created one of the overlaps you mention (huge gap at that), is he not 100% fit?  Looks to be a yard short of pace and lacked his usual aggression.

He hasn't looked the same player whilst he's been at Rovers. He does some good runs in a game, but then you hardly notice him. I'm not sure if it's the way Rovers play (he hardly gets the ball in open play), or it since his injuries he lost some of his pace and dosn't back himself. Or the off field dramas have affected him.
But I think it's a case of Rovers signing a player past his best, and 2 years to late.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:07 am

Thank god Easter's now over.

Big game on Saturday, lose and we're in trouble, win everything rosie in the world again.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:11 pm

Luke wrote:Thank god Easter's now over.

Big game on Saturday, lose and we're in trouble, win everything rosie in the world again.

Good luck today might well come down to who has recovered better/has fewer injuries from the Easter games but yes arguably a must win particularly at home.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:31 pm

Well we got the win. But it really wasn't a good performance and was massively helped by the fact Widnes didn't have any subs for the last 30 mins. Blair, Carney and Dagger outstanding for me.

Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:54 am

Luke wrote:Well we got the win. But it really wasn't a good performance and was massively helped by the fact Widnes didn't have any subs for the last 30 mins. Blair, Carney and Dagger outstanding for me.

Most of the media I have read suggested KR good value for win, are you being a bit harsh? Win is a win either way of course and an important one at that.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:54 am

The prime aim of the Robins is make the top 8 and take things from there

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:18 am

Got my ticket for tomorrows challenge cup game v oldham at Staylebridge. Looking forward to it, as I love the early education of the challenge cup, and there generally decent games. And Rovers have named a strong squad.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:47 pm

Luke wrote:Got my ticket for tomorrows challenge cup game v oldham at Staylebridge. Looking forward to it, as I love the early education of the challenge cup, and there generally decent games. And Rovers have named a strong squad.
Enjoy, which I'm sure you will.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:13 am

Job done. A professional performance with some squad players getting some minutes. Still alot to do but we're through. Only 4 more games to Wembley.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Tue May 01, 2018 2:03 am

Luke wrote:Job done. A professional performance with some squad players getting some minutes. Still alot to do but we're through. Only 4 more games to Wembley.
Live the dream

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed May 02, 2018 11:40 pm

Going Sunday. Can't say that I like Wakefield's ground. But I think it could be a really good game, even with a lot to play for.
I also expect Rovers to lose, given that the last 3 times I've seen Rovers there we've won by 30 pts, 28 pts & 24 pts. I'm not that lucky.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu May 03, 2018 7:15 am

Luke wrote:Going Sunday. Can't say that I like Wakefield's ground. But I think it could be a really good game, even with a lot to play for.
I also expect Rovers to lose, given that the last 3 times I've seen Rovers there we've won by 30 pts, 28 pts & 24 pts. I'm not that lucky.

Good luck that should be a good match and likely tight game, I have been surprised at Wakefield's form albeit most of their losses have been very close. I see Mulhern has signed a new deal which from what I have seen is good news.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu May 03, 2018 11:01 am

Yes I also think it could be a tight game.
Mulherns been outstanding this year. And to be fair he's progressed year on year for us. Him and Oaks re signings show some intent from the club.
Ryan Shaw also receive signed till 2020, this has split the fans. Good tryscorer, and fast. But useless at defence. Personally I'm glad he's resigned. Hes come back well after his leg break and to be honest I'm slightly more old fashioned in I want my wingers to score, defence secondary.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun May 13, 2018 5:43 pm

Good luck today, big ask I know however I have mentioned before KR's ability to bounce back after a bad result, hopefully they can do so again today.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon May 14, 2018 4:03 am

Didn't go. But apparently it was a good effort from the boys, considering how many players were out. Losing to Wigan is not a disgrace. However really don't fancy us much next week (Hull at Magic).
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat May 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Luke wrote:Didn't go. But apparently it was a good effort from the boys, considering how many players were out. Losing to Wigan is not a disgrace. However really don't fancy us much next week  (Hull at Magic).

Reports suggest they gave as good as they got for most of the game, just a late couple of tries spoiling the scoreline. Pleased to see Shaw extending his contract with KR, he was the same at Bradford defence not great but he knows where the try line is, kicks goals when needed and always gives 100%.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat May 26, 2018 8:01 am

Tremendous result tonight Luke, is that the first win over a top 8 side this year? Hopefully a boost to you and KR.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat May 26, 2018 8:01 pm

Yes, we'd only won 3 before it (Huddersfield A, Widnes & Catalan H).
Certainly an unexpected result and from what I understand an excellent performance. Other results around us also went our way, hopefully Leeds win tonight. And it tightens everything up down there.
Still think we'll be in the middle 8's but performances like last night gives me more confidence we might do well and stay up.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:13 am

I was going to ask why you thought Moss had been loaned to Halifax for the rest of the season however looks like the answer is the apparent signing of Joel Tompkins?

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:31 am

Great comeback and point today Luke? Thoughts on Tompkins signing?

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:07 am

Just back at Leeds station. Apart from the first 10 mins, a really good performance, and great point. In what was to be fair an excellent game of rugby. With our next 3 games (Huddersfield, Salford and Widnes). Great chance to climb the table and give us a great chance in the 8's.

Sheens just doesn't rate moss (only played about 90 mins all season, scored 4 tries though). So not surprised, disappointed as I like Moss, but doubt he'll be here next season.

Tompkins, personally think he's been poor for a while. And a bit of a penalty machine. But he does bring experience and cover for a few positions. And given he's out of his comfort zone may improve. He went okay today so hopefully will work out, think the fact he's only got a year contract will help.

More excited by the signing of Weller Harauki from next year, though in typical Rovers move about 2 years 2 late.

If we stay up though, a SR of Tompkins and Harauki could be an excellent one.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:47 pm

3 big games for you no doubt and winable, if you could make to 10th it obviously be a big help. McGuire back would be a big boost.

Yes the SR partnership should do some damage and shore up the edge defence.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:13 am

The middle 8's could be a fantastic for a neutral. Especially if Leigh get in. As they're could be some fascinating games.

As I've put before I like the 8's format, that more often then not have worked. So other than obviously Rovers staying up, I do hope it's a great comp as I'm tired of the power grab by SL.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:23 am

Luke wrote:The middle 8's could be a fantastic for a neutral. Especially if Leigh get in. As they're could be some fascinating games.

As I've put before I like the 8's format, that more often then not have worked. So other than obviously Rovers staying up, I do hope it's a great comp as I'm tired of the power grab by SL.

It looks like they might get in after beating Toulouse away last week, credit to them quite the turn round after a nightmare start. IMO Widnes look very vulnerable, a couple of injuries i.e. Hanbury/Mellor before in the 8's may well see them relegated before the million pound game.

Should anyone go down as you know there is however plenty of life and good rugby in the Championship which will be strong again in 2019 irrespective of how this year finishes.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:50 pm

Rovers resign Quinlan (2 years), VaiVai (2 years). Both have been excellent this season, so am glad we've re-signed them.
Looks like build a strong squad next year with Kilnhurst rumoured to be joining.

Also signed Todd Carney to a short term deal for the 8's this season, though I suspect there's got to be options involved for a longer deal. Otherwise seems a bit pointless to me.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:25 am

Sound like good signings to me, Carney could be very important in the 8's. Great win over the Giants big win tomorrow. Not sure if the RFL have made an announcement regarding the 8's and in particular Toronto who can confirm top spot in the Championship tonight. Will UK sides have to travel there? One to avoid if possible, it's hot here but over there, wow + humid + they have a damn good side.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:12 am

Granted you are in the middle 8's but some good performances of late, confident of staying up?

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:07 am

Yes, but the only side we really beat that was not expected was Huddersfield. Be an interesting one this week with it being the Derby just what side Steens will put out.

Am I confident fairly yes, if the fixtures stay as they are more so (though the championship is the most exciting league this year, so all could change). Think there will be some shocks, but there are poorer/lack of confidence sides this year. We're guaranteed Salford and Widnes home, Toronto (wherever they're playing) away.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:35 am

Admittedly I said this 2 years ago but I do think you will be ok, Salford are trying to raise £20k to buy a player to help them, should they pick up a couple of injuries Widnes look very vulnerable.

The scramble to make the make the middle 8's in the championship will either strengthen or ruin some of the sides, it will be very interesting.

Team pick for Friday's derby will be difficult, you would expect FC to react after the hammering at Wakey yesterday.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:46 pm

The Beast wrote:Sound like good signings to me, Carney could be very important in the 8's.  Great win over the Giants big win tomorrow.  Not sure if the RFL have made an announcement regarding the 8's and in particular Toronto who can confirm top spot in the Championship tonight.  Will UK sides have to travel there?  One to avoid if possible, it's hot here but over there, wow + humid + they have a damn good side.
At long last
https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/todd-carney-and-northern-pride-have-come-to-an-agreement-allowing-the-playmaker-to-return-to-the-super-league/news-story/695e869aeb008350883dc36270febf89

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:21 am

Finally for the first time in 3 years we beat the other lot. Gritty performance, superb defence. Though we nearly threw it away.
With Hall, Crooks and Carney added to a decent squad. Think we'll be okay in the 8's. Of the SL sides, only have Leeds away. All eyes on the championship tomorrow and the day after to see the other sides we'll get.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:11 pm

Luke wrote:Finally for the first time in 3 years we beat the other lot. Gritty performance, superb defence. Though we nearly threw it away.
With Hall, Crooks and Carney added to a decent squad. Think we'll be okay in the 8's. Of the SL sides, only have Leeds away. All eyes on the championship tomorrow and the day after to see the other sides we'll get.

I saw most of the game which I found very entertaining, TV commentary complaints over handling errors were IMO unfair with it being so dry recently until an hour before kick off. I though KR were excellent, Maurice Blair outstanding, his chase down of Carlos Tuimavave was ridiculously impressive. His what I can only assume is a moment of madness was a shame, being sin binned and making some sort of gesture as he walked off, granted it was a tough call but now is not the time to be banned.

Play like that for the next 7 games and the middle 8's should not present any fears, hopefully you'll get Toronto at home. Again it will be interesting how the RFL deal with deal fixtures.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:44 pm

Given the conditions, I thought both sides competed very well. We deserved the win. Blair and Danny Tickle (who's proved me so wrong), we're the standouts. If Blair does get banned we know have a squad to cover him (for a game or so).

Am looking forward to the 8's. Think this will follow on and be a really exciting comp.
We've got Toronto away, which if they are playing at Lamport will be more about when we play them. Hopefully after they've had to travel as well so that will be a leveller.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:12 am

Middle 8 fixture out on wed .

We've got -
Home - Salford, Widnes,London,Halifax.
Away- Leeds,Toronto,Toulouse.

Going to be racking up the miles this time.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:42 am

Roll on Wednesday, will the RFL allow Toronto to play at home? I do think KR are more than capable of beating them, they are good but prone to disciplinary issues and lapses something I am sure Sheens will be well aware of.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next