The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues Season Thread (Toulon fall in Cardiff)

+69
rodders
Rugby Fan
quinsforever
BigTrevsbigmac
kingjohn7
butterfingers
Knowsit17
flyhalffactory
wales606
lostinwales
VietGwentRevisited
whocares
funnyExiledScot
Mickado
St John The Enforcer
Beard from Tad Cymru
tecphobe
MarcusHalberstram
TJ
The Boss
Golden
LeinsterFan4life
asoreleftshoulder
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Taffineastbourne
thebandwagonsociety
yappysnap
Steffan
tatterd
Cari
mrzimmerman
George Carlin
dragon999
Comfort
GLove39
Luckless Pedestrian
Seagultaf
dragon4life
theskippingpig
Jhamer25
GavinDragon
international197
The Saint
doctornickolas
mikey_philVIII
Liam
Artful_Dodger
Newsilure
Jenifer McLadyboy
bedfordwelsh
BlueNote
Effervescing Elephant
Morgannwg
hookernumber2
Notch
VinceWLB
toml
XR
Scrumdown
Cardiff Dave
pioden gorllewin
maestegmafia
thebluesmancometh
LordDowlais
Kingshu
glamorganalun
youngguns6
Coleman
ScarletSpiderman
73 posters

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread (Toulon fall in Cardiff) - Page 16 Empty Cardiff Blues Season Thread (Toulon fall in Cardiff)

Post by wales606 Wed 09 Jan 2013, 8:22 am

First topic message reminder :

Keeping organised the ins and outs at the Blues leading into next season.

New Signing
Paetru Tamba (during the season)
Filo Paulo - North Harbour (confirmed)
Matthew Rees (confirmed)
Liam Davies (confirmed - until end of season)
Gethin Jenkins (confirmed)
Miles Normandale (confirmed)
Rhys Gill - Saracens (rumoured) Unlikely
Craig Mitchell - Exeter (rumoured) Unlikely
Adam Warren - Scarlets (rumoured)
Dan Lydiate - Dragons (mentioned) (rumoured)
Scott Williams - Scarlets (rumoured)
James Hook (rumoured - again)
Rodney So’oialo - Honda Heat (rumoured)
Aled Summerhill - Blues Academy
Ben Roach - Blues Academy
Ellis Jenkins - Blues Academy
Tom Pascoe - Blues Academy
Will Thomas - Blues Academy

Departures (all confirmed)
Jamie Roberts - Racing Metro
Ceri Sweeney - Exeter Chiefs
Tom James - Exeter Chiefs
Michael Paterson - Sale Sharks
Jason Tovey - Newport Gwent Dragons
Campese Ma'afu - Nottingham
Ryan Harford - Cardiff RFC
Nathan Trevett - London Welsh
Matthew Screech - Newport Gwent Dragons
Darren Harries - Scarlets
Jake Cooper Wooley - London Wasps
Cory Hill - Cornish Pirates
Petru Tamba - Unattached
Andi Kyriacou - Retired
Xavier Rush

Re-Signings
Alex Cuthbert (3 years)
Scott Andrews (2 years)
Josh Navidi (3 year)
James Down (unknown)
Andreus Pretorious (can't find the article...)
Marc Breeze (unknown)
Lewis Jones (unknown)
Lloyd Williams (3 years)
Tom Williams (3 years)
Rhys Patchell (3 years)
Sam Hobbs (?3 years?)
Rhys Williams (?3 years?)
Tom Davies (?3 years?)
Richard Smith (2 years)

Last edited by wales606 on Sat 19 Oct 2013, 5:35 pm; edited 52 times in total
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread (Toulon fall in Cardiff) - Page 16 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues Season Thread (Toulon fall in Cardiff)

Post by Guest Wed 16 Oct 2013, 9:31 am

I would say James O'Connor is free, but I'm not sure we could do with that kind of baggage.

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread (Toulon fall in Cardiff) - Page 16 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues Season Thread (Toulon fall in Cardiff)

Post by XR Wed 16 Oct 2013, 9:40 am

We play in a stadium on westgate street...no chance!

Although with all the player sponsors we have now maybe we can have him sponsored by Wetherspoons

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 16 Oct 2013, 9:47 am

Squad is still bloated with players who couldn't cut it 2 seasons ago, and the team is still rudderless with Phil (hide behind the desk board) Davies!
If I were in charge I would strip the squad back to bare bones, get shot of filo (I'm a winger honest) Paulo, tau the flop fillise, poor pretorious, dire Daf, average Evans, and the 3/4 back 3 mooches still on the books!

I'd even consider offloading Cuthbert, 1/2p and Warbs to free the wages for a tight head, blindside, 10 and centre

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 16 Oct 2013, 9:47 am

Ooooooooooooooooooooo that felt good!!!!!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 16 Oct 2013, 9:58 am

Welcome back Bluesman. Things havn't improved here...

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 16 Oct 2013, 10:03 am

I have been reading for a few days mate, there seems to be an influx of 'new' posters, I'm aattempt to purely upset.

I will not respond to these guys, but will also keep my own views far more neutral, I am a bit too passionate for my own good but my biggest fault was generally biting, sometimes per emptively.

There are some really good posters such as yourself though.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 16 Oct 2013, 10:13 am

There are a fair few players in the squad picking up a packet but not good enough. You could keep 1/2p cuthbert and warbs, just get rid of the deadwood and we'll be able to afford a THP.

For the axe:

Gavin Evans
Daf Hewitt
Filise
Lou Reed
Czekaj
James Down
Pretorios

We have guys like Ellis Jenkins and Thomas Young on the books as back row and they're turning out for cardiff/ponty...do we really need to stick with trying to convert a second row, in james down, to a 6? Pretorios has gone backwards and i'd much rather have a back row containing Young, Jenkins, Copeland, Warburton & Navidi. We'd only need to sign a number 8 as back up.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 16 Oct 2013, 10:24 am

You cannot afford to lose Cuthbert - he looks on fire.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 16 Oct 2013, 10:37 am

I see your point HC, especially regarding fillise Evans Down and cjeckai.

I'd add breeze, Paulo etc

That said, what is it Warburton, Cuthbert and 1/2p actually bring to a blues team, at present Cuthbert is dangerous, and 1/2p keeps the score ticking over. Had we a solid platform and defence they would be match winers, right now they just keep scores looking respectable and keep Davies in a Job!

I think we have a solid nucleus in Andrews, Davies, Copland, patch ell, Allen, Robinson, navidi, players who will play week in week out. We definitely need a few more nucleus players, I'd like Lewis Evans, Coombs, a loose head, 9, full back and a centre. Pretorious isn't a bad player overnight, but he isn't an 8 and needs to focus on 6.

But players right now are a luxury, we could have the Toulon squad playing for fill Davies and it wouldn't make andifference!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Oct 2013, 1:54 pm

Well whats the solution for the rest of this season then? Or is it as I mentioned earlier, a write off already?

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 16 Oct 2013, 1:58 pm

TJ wrote:You cannot afford to lose Cuthbert - he looks on fire.

Cuthbert for the Blues is an awful lot like Visser for Edinburgh - even if the entire team is dialling in their performances, he'll still find a way to score at least one per game.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:24 pm

Mike

Sadly with fill Davies at the helm we can write off this season, next and any he's involved with. He is a coach by numbers kind of guy!

I say start making moves now, and build for 2015, use the RWC as a jumping off point into the new era for Blues. That means focusing on players ready to step up, getting shot of anyone no going to be around in 2 years, and keeping hold of stars until then.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Wed 16 Oct 2013, 2:38 pm

gcBlues wrote:There are a fair few players in the squad picking up a packet but not good enough. You could keep 1/2p cuthbert and warbs, just get rid of the deadwood and we'll be able to afford a THP.

For the axe:

Gavin Evans
Daf Hewitt
Filise
Lou Reed
Czekaj
James Down
Pretorios

We have guys like Ellis Jenkins and Thomas Young on the books as back row and they're turning out for cardiff/ponty...do we really need to stick with trying to convert a second row, in james down, to a 6? Pretorios has gone backwards and i'd much rather have a back row containing Young, Jenkins, Copeland, Warburton & Navidi. We'd only need to sign a number 8 as back up.
you do have some dead wood but you as well as us and the other regions can't afford it. Filise will retire next year and even though Reed, Gavin Evans and Czekaj aren't first choice players they help bring depth to your team.
Your starting team is very strong, you have named Hewitt as well an even though he isn't brilliant he was one of the only good players last saturday.

I think another looshead and tight head is needed, Gethin ins't always going to be around and Sam Hobbs isn't up to it. A scrummaging tight head is needed though, i know they are hard t find and all the best are the most wanted and expensive. But look at us with Adriannse, never heard of him before he signed but he is a strong scrummager who gives us a platform when Samson goes off or is out; so believe it or not, they are rare One name that springs to mind for you is Pat Cilliers, for some stupid reason he is out of favour with South Africa and and the Stormers. He was going to sing with us before he got called up to the national team. pisses me off a bit now that he isn't with them or even starting for the Stormers (he could have been ours). Lourens Adriannse is another name who springs to mind.

Lock you are ok for with Bradley and Filo but i think people are right when they say Pretorious is more of a 6.

If i was a Blues fan this would be my christmas list
A centre
a tighthead
a looshead
a number 8
If they could be descent enough signings I do think your team could be competitive enough. As long a they don't play like they did last saturday Shocked 

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed 16 Oct 2013, 5:51 pm

Am i the only one who thinks that Filo is getting better every game? He started off dreadfully and looked unfit and uncommited. But the past couple of games he increased his work rate. Agreed we need to get rid of Pretorius, Evans, Hewitt, Filise, Czekaj and Reed. Not sure about Down yet, but i do agree that Young and Jenkins seem like better prospects.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Oct 2013, 7:36 pm

Yeah I think Filo has gotten better, I thought he was our worst signing last season.

What happened to Luke Hamilton?

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 16 Oct 2013, 8:24 pm

If you think fill is any good, go and rematch the Exeter game, he lingers in the wider channels and was the main reason for most line breaks first half, well he and fillise.

Filo is a thoughtless, penalty machine at best, he offers little to the line out or scrum, but he was cheap and is all we have

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 16 Oct 2013, 9:45 pm

Richard Holland's second PR mop up of the season, that man knows when to act

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-axe-defence-coach-6195966

Rob Powell the defence/holdtheirjacketswhiletheyscore coach has been sacked with immediate effect (thank god, he was the worse defence coach in rugby league aswell)

Iestyn Harris mentioned again as being linked with the backs role - I would prefer him to Ring, but I think I would rather someone with a bit more union experience

New signings to be announce : a prop, centre, no8 and winger

BUT NO FLYHALF???!!!

Holland wrote:Holland said: “It was one of embarrassment really.

“We were disappointed and it obviously highlighted that something was wrong.

“You don’t lose against Zebre and you don’t perform in that fashion first-half against Exeter, with the calibre of player we had on the pitch, without something being wrong.

“So we have carried out a full and extensive audit to get under the skin of where we are.

“Having carried that out, these are the decisions we have taken.”

Holland continued: “We don’t make decisions off the back of what we read in the papers.

“We watch the same games of rugby as everyone else and something is not right.

“So we are moving to address it and hopefully we can put the right structures in place that will see us get where we want to be.

“We certainly believe we have the mix of experience and youth in our squad to at least compete.”
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 17 Oct 2013, 7:48 am

Sacking the defence coach with immediate effect makes for great headlines, but don't they play Toulon on the weekend? They're a half-decent side. What can the new coach possibly do in the space of a day or two to change things? I'd worry that the players are going to be even more confused in defence than they were before.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Oct 2013, 7:58 am

I'd be surprised if Harris want anything to do with the Blues. He's doing well for himself at Wigan and with the Welsh gig as well, I don't know why he'd ever consider going to work there.

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:27 am

Good work by Holland, Defence has been poor this season and last and now it looks like they're finally going to start making it a full time job (which it should be).

I think the panel doing the interviewing is the right choice. You have the chief exec (Holland), the coach (Davies), a board member/greatest player of all time (Cool) (Edwards) and then a WRU rep (Howley)

Interesting what the signings will be, i've been tweeting the blues to have a look at Isaia Tuifua. If they do sign him, i want some commission. He's a centre/winger looks just like Laulala too.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 17 Oct 2013, 10:45 am

wales606 wrote:

BUT NO FLYHALF???!!!

Aye and let's hope Patchell aint called up by team Wales for a stint of autumnal tackle bag propping a la Tavis.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:05 am

Sean Edwards will be coming in then?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:05 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Sean Edwards will be coming in then?
God I hope so...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:29 pm

I remember after the Blues game in Leinster Scrum V banging on about how the WRU have, supposedly, offered Sean's services to the Blues (and any other region that really needs it). Maybe I am just reading too much into it, but with him going, and with Baber going, I have a feeling the Blues could end up with either Edwards or Howley (or both) doing some temp. work there til the end of the season.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:40 pm

Howley and Edwards NEED some extra time coaching when Wales are not playing, we have all seen the difference with Wales when Gatland is not there and these two are put in charge, and do not even get me started with McBride. It is a win win situation if you ask me, both coaches will benefit from being in a different environment, and the Blues will be a lot better as a result, especially the Welsh boys. Now all they need to do is sack the tool in charge of things at the Blues.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 17 Oct 2013, 2:11 pm

It's funny, I don't remember the WRU offering any help to the Dragons when our defence was MIA last season...

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 17 Oct 2013, 2:19 pm

The Dragons get enough help off the WRU as it is, but this is a Cardiff Blues thread, not a Dragons thread.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 17 Oct 2013, 2:21 pm

Thanks, Dowlais, but I'm capable of reading thread titles.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 17 Oct 2013, 2:55 pm

What help do we get from the WRU? They apparently 50% own us and do feck all....

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 17 Oct 2013, 2:58 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Howley and Edwards NEED some extra time coaching when Wales are not playing, we have all seen the difference with Wales when Gatland is not there and these two are put in charge, and do not even get me started with McBride. It is a win win situation if you ask me, both coaches will benefit from being in a different environment, and the Blues will be a lot better as a result, especially the Welsh boys. Now all they need to do is sack the tool in charge of things at the Blues.
Phil Davies will not be sacked. He is too much of a 'nice bloke' to be fired. It is a real shame that they can't get him to step aside from coaching and take up a roll as a pundit instead (or even as Phil Steele's touchline apprentice).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:12 pm

Bring in Sean Edwards - Definitely

I think the Blues should look at Ian Evans at the Ospreys. Seems a little out of favour down there at the moment and didn't even make the bench. He would add a lot to our front 5. Back in his home region.

Recruit a decent centre to help the 2 young boys, Allen and Williams. Both great prospects but still raw. Same goes for Patchell, a great talent but needs some guidance as well. You can't expect these boys to play every game.

Also I agree with a good clear out of the dross.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:13 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Howley and Edwards NEED some extra time coaching when Wales are not playing, we have all seen the difference with Wales when Gatland is not there and these two are put in charge, and do not even get me started with McBride. It is a win win situation if you ask me, both coaches will benefit from being in a different environment, and the Blues will be a lot better as a result, especially the Welsh boys. Now all they need to do is sack the tool in charge of things at the Blues.
Phil Davies will not be sacked.  He is too much of a 'nice bloke' to be fired.  It is a real shame that they can't get him to step aside from coaching and take up a roll as a pundit instead (or even as Phil Steele's touchline apprentice).
Plus he is part of Peter Thomas's family.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:15 pm

I seem to recall Welsh fans and the rugby world in general lauding the way the Welsh team played, praising Howley and his coaching team. particularly the forwards/scrummaging (Robin McBrydes area) in last years 6Ns campaign. The players themselves classed it as a better overall performance than the slam the year before!. Did you not agree with the consensus of opinion or is it a case of selective memory?. Also Gatland whilst producing a winning Lions series albeit against arguably one of the weakest Aussie squads ever assembled, left a lot of people with a "jury is still out" opinion, and further cementing the view that it is Edwards who is the driving force in Welsh rugby after his selection criteria and management of the Lions tour as a whole.

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:15 pm

The Saint wrote:What help do we get from the WRU? They apparently 50% own us and do feck all....
Yep they purchased 50% of the Dragons stopped them from going bust after only a short while after letting a region I held close to my heart dissapear. But that is all water under the bridge now, the way I look at it instead of having one region to support I now have four.OK 

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:18 pm

So we should have let that one go too and had 3?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:19 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
I seem to recall Welsh fans and the rugby world in general lauding the way the Welsh team played, praising Howley and his coaching team. particularly the forwards/scrummaging (Robin McBrydes area) in last years 6Ns campaign. The players themselves classed it as a better overall performance than the slam the year before!. Did you not agree with the consensus of opinion or is it a case of selective memory?. Also Gatland whilst producing a winning Lions series albeit against arguably one of the weakest Aussie squads ever assembled, left a lot of people with a "jury is still out" after his selection criteria and management of the tour as a whole.
Rob Howley finaly turned it around after going on an eight game losing streak, and we were all left scratching our heads over Robin McBrides decisions over the squad and tactics on the Japan tour, with the players Rob and Sean had at their disposal, they were bount to get it right at some time, or have you got a selective memory of what happened in Wales before the six nations ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:23 pm

The Saint wrote:So we should have let that one go too and had 3?

No, No, No, I am glad the WRU stepped in, at the time I was very bitter as it looked as though they saved a more fashionable region, but as I said it is all water under the bridge now. But for people to moan about other regions getting help, when perhaps they should look at the help they have recieved is rather spiteful to say the least.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:27 pm

My comment wasn't a moan, Dowlais, it was an observation.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:29 pm

You must be talking about the Scarlets then? It's the WRU's responsibility to keep the Regions afloat, so don't consider them doing that as a favour for us when Ebbw Vale run off. I think it was another valid point made by Luckless, just why didn't the WRU step in when Dragons were at their worst last season? To me it just constitutes more evidence for the rest of Wales not giving a turd, which is sad because the Dragons Region is a good rugby resource.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:30 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:My comment wasn't a moan, Dowlais, it was an observation.
ok:hug: 

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:37 pm

The Saint wrote:You must be talking about the Scarlets then? It's the WRU's responsibility to keep the Regions afloat, so don't consider them doing that as a favour for us when Ebbw Vale run off. I think it was another valid point made by Luckless, just why didn't the WRU step in when Dragons were at their worst last season? To me it just constitutes more evidence for the rest of Wales not giving a turd, which is sad because the Dragons Region is a good rugby resource.
Weather or not Ebbw Vale ran off is a moot point, the fact of the matter is, the WRU took up half of the slack thus the Dragons are still operating as a region today, the Scarlets have also been given hand out's to fight off the wolves, who cares, they both had help, now it is the turn of the Blues to have help in a coaching capacity and you all have the cheek to moan about it, if it makes the Blues stronger then so be it, FFS, what is wrong with people ? A stronger four regions is better for all Welsh rugby.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:37 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:
I seem to recall Welsh fans and the rugby world in general lauding the way the Welsh team played, praising Howley and his coaching team. particularly the forwards/scrummaging (Robin McBrydes area) in last years 6Ns campaign. The players themselves classed it as a better overall performance than the slam the year before!. Did you not agree with the consensus of opinion or is it a case of selective memory?. Also Gatland whilst producing a winning Lions series albeit against arguably one of the weakest Aussie squads ever assembled, left a lot of people with a "jury is still out" after his selection criteria and management of the tour as a whole.
Rob Howley finaly turned it around after going on an eight game losing streak, and we were all left scratching our heads over Robin McBrides decisions over the squad and tactics on the Japan tour, with the players Rob and Sean had at their disposal, they were bount to get it right at some time, or have you got a selective memory of what happened in Wales before the six nations ?
I haven't selective memory at all. I recall that Gatland was close to having the worst losing sequence in Welsh rugby history, and his slams have been followed usually by 4th or 5ths, so don't blabber on about losing sequences fellar, the measure of a coach is how he stands up to the screaming hissies when things are not going to plan, and as Edwards said "fair dos to Rob he stuck to his guns and the results are clear". I also recall McBryde who I believe was a 100% successful Welsh coach going into the summer tour stating he was taking a largely experimental team as advised by Gats and Co albeit they should have done better against a squad that had just won the pacific 5Ns and was up to 12 in the world ranking. Gatland also stated that he was full of confidence with McBryde who he attributed the Welsh success in the 2013 6Ns primarily due to the forwards coaching direction.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 17 Oct 2013, 3:46 pm

We all gave Rob Howley his fair do's for winning the six nations, but we also lost every game he was put in charge for before that French game, Gatland has never been on an eight game lossing streak, not with Wales anyway, the facts are the more practice Howley and Edwards get weather that be at regional or national level it can only be a good thing, you are causing an argument over nothing and you are not even Welsh, so what concern is two Welsh coaches going to the Blues is of your's, unless you are a Cardiff Blues fan, are you ? Gatland, can have all the confidence he wanted with McBryde, but the facts are he was out of his depth in Japan, I have no doubt that he will get better though, and he is indeed a very good forwards coach, but there is a very big difference to coaching forwards and then being in charge of the whole lot.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 17 Oct 2013, 4:14 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
The Saint wrote:You must be talking about the Scarlets then? It's the WRU's responsibility to keep the Regions afloat, so don't consider them doing that as a favour for us when Ebbw Vale run off. I think it was another valid point made by Luckless, just why didn't the WRU step in when Dragons were at their worst last season? To me it just constitutes more evidence for the rest of Wales not giving a turd, which is sad because the Dragons Region is a good rugby resource.
Weather or not Ebbw Vale ran off is a moot point, the fact of the matter is, the WRU took up half of the slack thus the Dragons are still operating as a region today, the Scarlets have also been given hand out's to fight off the wolves, who cares, they both had help, now it is the turn of the Blues to have help in a coaching capacity and you all have the cheek to moan about it, if it makes the Blues stronger then so be it, FFS, what is wrong with people ? A stronger four regions is better for all Welsh rugby.
It's the WRU obligation to keep all 4 functioning, including the Blues. So you claiming that Dragons have been helped is a moot point. Fact of the matter is any team 50% Union owned should be the best in its country, and we've been the opposite for the majority of that time. We haven't had help when we've asked for it and needed it. I welcome the Blues getting help because they certainly need it, but no need to deny a fact brought to attention by somebody else.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 17 Oct 2013, 4:20 pm

Saint, the fact that the WRU have purchased half of the Dragons rather than them go down the swanny is help, no matter how you look at it, did the WRU did not have any obligation when it came to the Warriors ? Look, I am glad the WRU stepped in at the Dragons, without that help I would have one less region to follow, but sometimes when I read little spiteful swipes at other regions on here from fellow Welsh fans it does get to me a little, perhaps I should ignore it as after all they are only spiteful swipes, but you cannot have people picking up on others when they have had the same help of the establishment as well, well not the SAME help, but help all the same, if you catch my drift.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 17 Oct 2013, 4:29 pm

Anyway, back to the thread, with these new signings imminent, what impact would that have on the new contracts for Halfpenny and Warburton ? Unless of course there is more money dowm at the cap than they would like us to think.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 17 Oct 2013, 4:34 pm

Hmm, I've been hearing these new signings claims repeated for months now yet they haven't materialised. Blues are in dire need of some quality centres and a decent tighthead if they are going to drag themselves up from the bottom half of the pile. A good 8 wouldn't go amiss either, I simply do not rate Pretorius as a long-term option there. And some firm man-management in the coaching staff. The list goes on...

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 17 Oct 2013, 4:38 pm

LordDowlais wrote:We all gave Rob Howley his fair do's for winning the six nations, but we also lost every game he was put in charge for before that French game, Gatland has never been on an eight game lossing streak, not with Wales anyway, the facts are the more practice Howley and Edwards get weather that be at regional or national level it can only be a good thing, you are causing an argument over nothing and you are not even Welsh, so what concern is two Welsh coaches going to the Blues is of your's, unless you are a Cardiff Blues fan, are you ? Gatland, can have all the confidence he wanted with McBryde, but the facts are he was out of his depth in Japan, I have no doubt that he will get better though, and he is indeed a very good forwards coach, but there is a very big difference to coaching forwards and then being in charge of the whole lot.

Many of those eight matches were narrow defeats, and the next worst losing streak was five and that was by (amongst others) a certain Mr Gatland who I believe lost by a much worse aggregate (including three at home and a 42-9 loss against NZ) than Howley, luckily you played Scotland, Italy and Ireland next because you won those but then lost three in a row again that's 8/11 losses. Compare that to Howleys' 8/13 and you can perhaps paint a better picture of the Welsh coaches.

I agree that the WRU should lend the coaching team out to the welsh regions especially around the HC games, it would benefit both parties.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 17 Oct 2013, 5:09 pm

There is another forum going about players out of contract next season. Could be a good shopping list for Simon Thomas and Co.
A tight head and center should be your main priorities. You have a great 8 in Copeland so let us (Scarlet's) have any descent 8 that's out there and cheap pleeeeeeeease.

Helani Aulika and Hoani Tui would be good strong options mind. But is seems you are expecting signings soon. You wouldn't be stupid to get a hooker either with the form Matthew Rees is in. Hope you get the players you need though, said it before you are a few player away from a competitive European side.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Thu 17 Oct 2013, 5:53 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Hmm, I've been hearing these new signings claims repeated for months now yet they haven't materialised.
Agreed, they're taking a long time to get here if we ever did have anyone lined up. Could it be that we're waiting for the NPC to end? When does the Curry Cup end? Maybe we've targeted some players from the SH who have contractual obligations.

Also, I agree that the Welsh coaches could be doing more around the Regions. They're on yearly salaries, if I was in their shoes I’d be eager to coach at every opportunity I get. From Div 7 to the Prem. It's the only way they'll improve as coaches and learn new things.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next