The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues Season Thread (Toulon fall in Cardiff)

+69
rodders
Rugby Fan
quinsforever
BigTrevsbigmac
kingjohn7
butterfingers
Knowsit17
flyhalffactory
wales606
lostinwales
VietGwentRevisited
whocares
funnyExiledScot
Mickado
St John The Enforcer
Beard from Tad Cymru
tecphobe
MarcusHalberstram
TJ
The Boss
Golden
LeinsterFan4life
asoreleftshoulder
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Taffineastbourne
thebandwagonsociety
yappysnap
Steffan
tatterd
Cari
mrzimmerman
George Carlin
dragon999
Comfort
GLove39
Luckless Pedestrian
Seagultaf
dragon4life
theskippingpig
Jhamer25
GavinDragon
international197
The Saint
doctornickolas
mikey_philVIII
Liam
Artful_Dodger
Newsilure
Jenifer McLadyboy
bedfordwelsh
BlueNote
Effervescing Elephant
Morgannwg
hookernumber2
Notch
VinceWLB
toml
XR
Scrumdown
Cardiff Dave
pioden gorllewin
maestegmafia
thebluesmancometh
LordDowlais
Kingshu
glamorganalun
youngguns6
Coleman
ScarletSpiderman
73 posters

Page 7 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread (Toulon fall in Cardiff) - Page 7 Empty Cardiff Blues Season Thread (Toulon fall in Cardiff)

Post by wales606 Wed 09 Jan 2013, 8:22 am

First topic message reminder :

Keeping organised the ins and outs at the Blues leading into next season.

New Signing
Paetru Tamba (during the season)
Filo Paulo - North Harbour (confirmed)
Matthew Rees (confirmed)
Liam Davies (confirmed - until end of season)
Gethin Jenkins (confirmed)
Miles Normandale (confirmed)
Rhys Gill - Saracens (rumoured) Unlikely
Craig Mitchell - Exeter (rumoured) Unlikely
Adam Warren - Scarlets (rumoured)
Dan Lydiate - Dragons (mentioned) (rumoured)
Scott Williams - Scarlets (rumoured)
James Hook (rumoured - again)
Rodney So’oialo - Honda Heat (rumoured)
Aled Summerhill - Blues Academy
Ben Roach - Blues Academy
Ellis Jenkins - Blues Academy
Tom Pascoe - Blues Academy
Will Thomas - Blues Academy

Departures (all confirmed)
Jamie Roberts - Racing Metro
Ceri Sweeney - Exeter Chiefs
Tom James - Exeter Chiefs
Michael Paterson - Sale Sharks
Jason Tovey - Newport Gwent Dragons
Campese Ma'afu - Nottingham
Ryan Harford - Cardiff RFC
Nathan Trevett - London Welsh
Matthew Screech - Newport Gwent Dragons
Darren Harries - Scarlets
Jake Cooper Wooley - London Wasps
Cory Hill - Cornish Pirates
Petru Tamba - Unattached
Andi Kyriacou - Retired
Xavier Rush

Re-Signings
Alex Cuthbert (3 years)
Scott Andrews (2 years)
Josh Navidi (3 year)
James Down (unknown)
Andreus Pretorious (can't find the article...)
Marc Breeze (unknown)
Lewis Jones (unknown)
Lloyd Williams (3 years)
Tom Williams (3 years)
Rhys Patchell (3 years)
Sam Hobbs (?3 years?)
Rhys Williams (?3 years?)
Tom Davies (?3 years?)
Richard Smith (2 years)

Last edited by wales606 on Sat 19 Oct 2013, 5:35 pm; edited 52 times in total
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread (Toulon fall in Cardiff) - Page 7 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues Season Thread (Toulon fall in Cardiff)

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 08 Jun 2013, 4:53 pm

wales606 wrote:Justin Burnell has been names coach of London Welsh

Hopefully he will want Baber as his backs coach!

I had a similar thought when I heard the news, that would work out nicely.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread (Toulon fall in Cardiff) - Page 7 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues Season Thread (Toulon fall in Cardiff)

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:48 pm

From wiki;

He was appointed Forwards Coach of Cardiff Blues in 2008, assisting Dai Young in leading them to a Heineken Cup Semi-Final in 2009, winning the EDF in 2009 and winning the Amlin Challenge Cup in 2010.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:05 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

From wiki;

He was appointed Forwards Coach of Cardiff Blues in 2008, assisting Dai Young in leading them to a Heineken Cup Semi-Final in 2009, winning the EDF in 2009 and winning the Amlin Challenge Cup in 2010.

Never had a huge problem with Burnell, although I don't think he is head coach material, or a very good scrum coach Rolling Eyes

It's Baber I have the big issue with - ever since he took over as backs coach we have been unable to score tries - pretty sure Zebra got more than us this season (it was close I know), he is completely incompetent and I haven't seen a single structured backs move in about 3 years.

Completely ruined the exciting rugby we played in '08 when the Blues scored some of the best tries I have ever seen in the EDF final and Heineken cup
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:27 pm

Xavier Rush's departure as defence coach has been confirmed

He had a steep learning curve as a coach but has been a awesome servant of the Cardiff Blues and I hope he does well out of rugby.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed 12 Jun 2013, 8:17 pm

Wonder where he will go now, he seemed really settled in Cardiff.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Jun 2013, 8:21 pm

Rush has never been the same since that on/off move to Ulster. 'Returned' a worse player, heart didn't seem in it, which led to retirement, and I don't think he was then ready for coaching. Some complete guesses in there from me, but I reckon that's about the size of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 12 Jun 2013, 11:46 pm

Coleman wrote:Wonder where he will go now, he seemed really settled in Cardiff.

He is "pursuing interests outside of rugby" so I imagine he will stay in Cardiff
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 12 Jun 2013, 11:49 pm

Griff wrote:Rush has never been the same since that on/off move to Ulster. 'Returned' a worse player, heart didn't seem in it, which led to retirement, and I don't think he was then ready for coaching. Some complete guesses in there from me, but I reckon that's about the size of it.

He still put in some massive performances - they just weren't as regular as previously

I will always remember him dragging the whole team through the Amlin semifinal away to Wasps in the pouring rain - he was a man possessed and was so determined to reach that final, think the final score was 9 - 6 and if we had any other 8 in the world I think we would have lost, he really put his heart into rugby at the Blues.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 13 Jun 2013, 8:54 am

Rushy is the first 'legend' of the blues time as a team, as 606 said and not just limited to the wasps game. He was a talisman for the blues and dragged us through so many games with his relentless carrying and tackling.

All the best to Xavier, legend.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Thu 13 Jun 2013, 9:37 am

Looks like its 100% happening then. The WRU have gave their consent for the artificial pitch to be implemented. Do we not still need IRB consent though? I'm sure Sarries did.

http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/6415.php

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 13 Jun 2013, 9:38 am

IRB have given their consent, they are now going ahead

The interesting part is this...

WRU Group Chief Executive, Roger Lewis said:

"The WRU has received a grant application from the Blues for financial assistance, which I support.

wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Thu 13 Jun 2013, 9:43 am

I thought that the new investor was bringing the capital to get the project started, not sure why we've gone to the WRU cap in hand.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 13 Jun 2013, 7:08 pm

Coleman wrote:I thought that the new investor was bringing the capital to get the project started, not sure why we've gone to the WRU cap in hand.

The £500,000 from the new investor was NOT for the pitch, that has been made clear previously
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 14 Jun 2013, 8:32 am

Spoiler:

New blues kit, hasn't been revealed officially but it's in the new rugby challenge game. If it's anything like that, i'll definitely be getting the home jersey!!

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 14 Jun 2013, 10:30 am

That would keep the RFC lot happy, won't do much to bring the Ponty lot on board though. But it does look good.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 14 Jun 2013, 11:07 am

We could always change the light blue stripes on the shirt to the black from their kit to appease them? Then it would be our blue and their black hoops on the jersey Whistle

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 14 Jun 2013, 11:10 am

gcBlues wrote:We could always change the light blue stripes on the shirt to the black from their kit to appease them? Then it would be our blue and their black hoops on the jersey Whistle

Careful now.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 14 Jun 2013, 11:13 am

Very Happy

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 14 Jun 2013, 11:15 am

What's going on with these new fangled text boxes?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 14 Jun 2013, 11:31 am

No idea, i tried quoting a post earlier ad it came up in yellow and nowhere to write my text!

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 14 Jun 2013, 12:11 pm

From the BBC's sportsday feed:

[*]Andi Kyriacou is to join the Cardiff Blues coaching staff after being forced to retire due to injury. The 30-year-old former Ulster and Saracens hooker joined the Blues last summer, but suffered a prolapsed disc after making just five appearances. He underwent surgery before Christmas but has been unable to make a full recovery and will now become part of rugby director Phil Davies' coaching staff, working with the forwards.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Fri 14 Jun 2013, 1:20 pm

gcBlues wrote:From the BBC's sportsday feed:

[*]Andi Kyriacou is to join the Cardiff Blues coaching staff after being forced to retire due to injury. The 30-year-old former Ulster and Saracens hooker joined the Blues last summer, but suffered a prolapsed disc after making just five appearances. He underwent surgery before Christmas but has been unable to make a full recovery and will now become part of rugby director Phil Davies' coaching staff, working with the forwards.

Jobs for the boys.

No experience of coaching whatsoever and a pretty average player yet will be paid to give Gethin Jenkins and Mathew Rees advice on their scrummaging!

The blues playing squad has enough talent to do well but unfortunately from coaching level up to board level the region is being led by a people who are simply not qualified for their roles.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 14 Jun 2013, 1:31 pm

i wouldn't say jobs for the boys per-se as he's been with us only this season, it's not like a long serving player retired and was given a job.

I would reckon there's another reason and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the blues have made him coach for a year until his 2 year deal runs out so they don't have to pay out compensation that they would if they terminated his contract now.

This is Peter Thomas you're talking about.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Fri 14 Jun 2013, 1:37 pm

gcBlues wrote:i wouldn't say jobs for the boys per-se as he's been with us only this season, it's not like a long serving player retired and was given a job.

I would reckon there's another reason and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the blues have made him coach for a year until his 2 year deal runs out so they don't have to pay out compensation that they would if they terminated his contract now.

But surely, insurance would cover any such costs.

Also the job has not even been advertised. Was Dale McIntosh able to apply?

The regions are not being run professionaly and this is the reason ( more than lack of funding) that they are failing.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 14 Jun 2013, 1:41 pm

Scrumdown wrote:
gcBlues wrote:i wouldn't say jobs for the boys per-se as he's been with us only this season, it's not like a long serving player retired and was given a job.

The regions are not being run professionaly and this is the reason ( more than lack of funding) that they are failing.

I guess he has a home (and family? settled) that he was planning on staying in for 2yrs, and it is just easier to give him the job of passing out balls in training, or standing in the opposition scrum half possition for scrum/lineout practice, than it is to send him packing. After all 'now become part of rugby director Phil Davies' coaching staff, working with the forwards' doesn't necessarily mean that he will be too heavily involved.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Fri 14 Jun 2013, 4:03 pm

Andy Kyqrinsbdoe (whatever his name his) really!
I mean is seems like who ever retires from the blues gets an automatic coaching role their no matter what their experience is.
If our regions are going to excel and develop better players we need BETTER COACHES.

STUPID STUPID STUPID, might as well have Matthew Rees and Gethin Jenkins be players/coaches.
Scarlet Spiderman is right, imagine Andy trying to coach two of the most formidable front row players of our era on how to scrimmage. It's a joke.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 14 Jun 2013, 4:38 pm

Cory Hill is going to Moseley Sad
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 14 Jun 2013, 4:42 pm

Looks like a few signings will be announced over the next few weeks

Good signings too apparently (perhaps the budget has been boosted with the extra board member)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Fri 14 Jun 2013, 4:46 pm

Rhodri Manning, head of performance analysis at blues is son of Peter Manning (Peter Thomas side kick).  Did he have to apply for this job or was it just handed to him due to family connections?

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 14 Jun 2013, 8:04 pm

606, Where did you hear this? Have you heard any names?

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Fri 14 Jun 2013, 8:26 pm

jhamer25 wrote:STUPID STUPID STUPID, might as well have Matthew Rees and Gethin Jenkins be players/coaches.
Scarlet Spiderman is right, imagine Andy trying to coach two of the most formidable front row players of our era on how to scrimmage. It's a joke.
I agree with you. I think Gethin Jenkins and Matthew Rees are experienced enough to not need 'coaching' anymore.

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by theskippingpig Fri 14 Jun 2013, 9:04 pm

Now I'm not a Blues fan, in fact far from it. I did however want to comment on the posts about Kyrkjghkfgjckgkucou taking up a coaching post. There are lots of players in lower leagues rugby who have coaches younger than them who didn't play at such a high level as those they are coaching, but its all about having a bit of respect. I'm sure Jenkins and Rees will be professional enough to train hard, listen and provide an example to younger players. Your never to experienced or old to learn, and I'm sure Graham Henry wasn't a great player, but he's not done too bad as a coach.

theskippingpig

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Fri 14 Jun 2013, 10:40 pm

theskippingpig wrote:Now I'm not a Blues fan, in fact far from it. I did however want to comment on the posts about Kyrkjghkfgjckgkucou taking up a coaching post. There are lots of players in lower leagues rugby who have coaches younger than them who didn't play at such a high level as those they are coaching, but its all about having a bit of respect. I'm sure Jenkins and Rees will be professional enough to train hard, listen and provide an example to younger players. Your never to experienced or old to learn, and I'm sure Graham Henry wasn't a great player, but he's not done too bad as a coach.
Your missing the point though, he has not coaching experience at all, nothing. He is just being drafted in because rush is leaving, they haven't obviously even looked at other potential coaches. They must have just though Oh Andy is retiring, he will do.Erm

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by theskippingpig Sat 15 Jun 2013, 10:11 am

Jhamer25 wrote:
theskippingpig wrote:Now I'm not a Blues fan, in fact far from it. I did however want to comment on the posts about Kyrkjghkfgjckgkucou taking up a coaching post. There are lots of players in lower leagues rugby who have coaches younger than them who didn't play at such a high level as those they are coaching, but its all about having a bit of respect. I'm sure Jenkins and Rees will be professional enough to train hard, listen and provide an example to younger players. Your never to experienced or old to learn, and I'm sure Graham Henry wasn't a great player, but he's not done too bad as a coach.
Your missing the point though, he has not coaching experience at all, nothing. He is just being drafted in because rush is leaving, they haven't obviously even looked at other potential coaches. They must have just though Oh Andy is retiring, he will do.Erm

No one has coaching experience until they start???

theskippingpig

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 1:49 pm

theskippingpig wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:

No one has coaching experience until they start???

Yes but you don't start at a professional age grade do you, you start of with a junior group really and make your way up form their, he is going straight into a professional team with no experience. No team in the southern hemisphere would ever do that and they have some of the best coaches in the world. 

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 3:33 pm

The pitch is coming up

Cardiff Blues Season Thread (Toulon fall in Cardiff) - Page 7 BMy78FVCUAA9whz
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 15 Jun 2013, 3:54 pm

606 are they flogging off lumps of turf? I would assume they would make a few bob selling it to fans, £10 a square half foot or something, more for tries line etc.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:33 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:606 are they flogging off lumps of turf? I would assume they would make a few bob selling it to fans, £10 a square half foot or something, more for tries line etc.

I think the Scarlets sold parts of the Stradey Park turf to fans. I believe selling the turf to fans would be a good way for the Blues to generate more revenue.

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:35 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:606 are they flogging off lumps of turf? I would assume they would make a few bob selling it to fans, £10 a square half foot or something, more for tries line etc.

Keep up mun;
https://www.606v2.com/t45216-cardiff-blues-install-artificial-pitch#2125261

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:41 pm

Scrumdown wrote:Rhodri Manning, head of performance analysis at blues is son of Peter Manning (Peter Thomas side kick).  Did he have to apply for this job or was it just handed to him due to family connections?

Don't know.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:42 pm

Coleman wrote:606, Where did you hear this? Have you heard any names?

The usual place.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:51 pm

Scrumdown wrote:

Again I don't know and would the Chief be interested anyway? Best ask him yourself I guess.
Maybe Cardiff Blues see Andi Kyriacou as a long term investment opportunity. Who knows and he'll only being assisting whatever that means.
As for your accusation about the "regions not being run professionally", what would you suggest Cardiff Blues do different?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 15 Jun 2013, 9:23 pm

Sorry to hear about Andi Kyriacou retiring. A great servant for Ulster in his time here, we probably got his best years. It didn't happen for him in Cardiff obviously but he was a good hooker with an excellent throw, good scrummager and good hands. Maybe just lacked the dynamism and workrate top hookers have. Impeccable at the set piece but not a lot else. Still, he never, ever let us down. Until he got wasted and pished in a taxi in Italy and Humphreys shipped him off to Cardiff, of course. This tribute is going a bit wonky. Anyway, good player sorry he's had to retire.

I don't know about him as a coach but I wish him the best of luck. Like I said he was as proficient at the set piece as anyone. He could do well, serving an apprenticeship under someone else.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Sat 15 Jun 2013, 9:37 pm

heard a kiwi centre was on his way in, but didn't think the announcement was going to be soon? maybe a pre-contract has been signed sooner than expected.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 9:52 pm

pioden gorllewin wrote:heard a kiwi centre was on his way in, but didn't think the announcement was going to be soon? maybe a pre-contract has been signed sooner than expected.

I have heard Kiwi centre

Not sure when signings will be announced
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 11:00 pm

I think the Blues are well covered in the centre for next season with the likes of Cory Allen, Gavin Evans, Dafydd Hewitt, Rhys Patchell (came on as a centre today v Japan) and Owen Williams all competing for berths there. I don't see the need to sign another centre.

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 11:48 pm

international197 wrote:I think the Blues are well covered in the centre for next season with the likes of Cory Allen, Gavin Evans, Dafydd Hewitt, Rhys Patchell (came on as a centre today v Japan) and Owen Williams all competing for berths there. I don't see the need to sign another centre

Really though, if the blues want to be more competitive they have to do better than Gavin and Hewitt, they are both ok at defending I guess but offer nothing in attack.
glad Cory Allen and Owen Williams are coming of age, wales need more strength at centre than bluddy Jonathan Spratt. Also when you all say kiwi centre, is it an ITM cup level or a super XV level.  A cheap ITM player would be a waist of money and NWQ, they need a player with experience at a higher level. Not necessarily international level, but has a good bit of experience behind them and can do a good job.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 10:56 am

international197 wrote:I think the Blues are well covered in the centre for next season with the likes of Cory Allen, Gavin Evans, Dafydd Hewitt, Rhys Patchell (came on as a centre today v Japan) and Owen Williams all competing for berths there. I don't see the need to sign another centre.

Evans and Hewitt are pretty awful

Allen and Owen are very green

Patchell is a no10 and will only play no10
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:54 pm

corry allen is out for a while with shoulder injury, owen williams can't be expected to play a whole season. gavin evans and daf hewitt are solid enough, but not good enough to make the blues top 4 league contenders. that's why blues are looking at another centre.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 16 Jun 2013, 7:05 pm

wales606 wrote:
pioden gorllewin wrote:heard a kiwi centre was on his way in, but didn't think the announcement was going to be soon? maybe a pre-contract has been signed sooner than expected.

I have heard Kiwi centre

Not sure when signings will be announced

Tidy darts.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next