The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adam Smith - Has there ever been anybody worse ????

+15
hogey
Strongback
Small Time
ONETWOFOREVER
milkyboy
J-Hop
Lance
eddyfightfan
mikeymax71
Herman Jaeger
Seanusarrilius
Daz
hampo17
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
19 posters

Go down

Adam Smith - Has there ever been anybody worse ???? Empty Adam Smith - Has there ever been anybody worse ????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 07 Jan 2013, 09:28

The guy not only has the unnerving capacity to state the obvious but his constant brown-nosing is just downright sickening to watch!!!

Not Buncey's greatest fan but not even he stoops this low!!!

SKY...You don't need this guy...one of the fit chicks you have on the sport news channel would suffice!!!

Please replace him asap either with one of these chicks or a REAL MAN....Or audience numbers will drop off through death-by-cringeing!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Adam Smith - Has there ever been anybody worse ???? Empty Re: Adam Smith - Has there ever been anybody worse ????

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 07 Jan 2013, 09:37

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Not Buncey's greatest fan but not even he stoops this low!!!

You think? Bunce is far more sycophantic. I would rather watch Smith than Bunce any day.

Smith is alright. He is no Paul Dempsey but I think he does a capable job. I don't get the 'creepy' look to him that lots of other people seem to rattle on about. He looks pretty normal to me.

Perhaps Sky could poach Ronald McIntosh, if only so we can all giggle along at John Bloody Waynes manlove for him.

You seem really bad tempered at the moment, Beefster. You not feeling the pump these days?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Adam Smith - Has there ever been anybody worse ???? Empty Re: Adam Smith - Has there ever been anybody worse ????

Post by hampo17 Mon 07 Jan 2013, 09:39

I'd like to see Ed Robinson take over from Smith. Robinson seems to know a fair bit about the sport, and his toe to toe podcasts with Spencer Fearon are good as well.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 07 Jan 2013, 09:41

hampo171 wrote:I'd like to see Ed Robinson take over from Smith. Robinson seems to know a fair bit about the sport.

And he has had a few pro fights I believe. He is quite good, I would agree with that.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 07 Jan 2013, 22:27

Unfortunately Truss, he isnt just a pundit, he is the head of boxing at sky I believe.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 07 Jan 2013, 22:35

So there is no escape then.... Braveheart

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 07 Jan 2013, 22:38

Fraid not mate. He will be around for many many years.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 08 Jan 2013, 00:35

I could not agree more with Truss. Smith is deplorable, plastic and sycophantic to boot. He doesn't even seem like he belongs on a boxing show. He might be a lovely guy off screen, but on screen he is a sly so and so.

Smile

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Tue 08 Jan 2013, 01:01; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 08 Jan 2013, 00:42

Can't say he particularly bothers me but he needs a makeover Smith. For starters couldn't they teach him how to sit? On ringside, he sits there with his knees pointing in together, legs wide apart. He's never going to be Arnie, but couldn't they groom him to look just a little bit less nerdish?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Thu 10 Jan 2013, 10:29

As the the head of boxing, should he not spend more time behind the scenes running things, rather than hogging all the air time? They should also do away with those press conferences where he is sitting in the middle of things acting like the Sky's equivalent of Frank Warren.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 10 Jan 2013, 12:39

i think he (and sky) do a decent job with boxing, when you consider the structure of the sport. unlike all other sports i can think of there is no single ranking system and no association to set up fixtures and no schedule for the year. also boxing must be one of the top sports when it comes to cancellations of main events.

by rights sky shouldnt even touch boxing with a 10 foot barge pole.

and i dont care how fit she is a woman on ringside would ruin the entire program (unless she was actually involved in the sport)

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 10 Jan 2013, 13:00

eddyfightfan wrote:

by rights sky shouldnt even touch boxing with a 10 foot barge pole.

Quite right. Especially in these austere times. Sky have done the correct thing in cutting some of the promotional deadwood away and sticking with the Matchroom stable. Harsh on guys like Ricky Hatton, but that's life. Just because they are a huge multinational, Sky are not immune from a global recession, far from it. The broader Sky Sports team will have been under huge pressure to deliver value for money and boxing just doesn't offer that on a frequent enough basis. It was always likely to be cut back and I think Smith and his team made the correct and only call they could.

If you don't like his presenting style then so be it, but I don't think he can ever be accused of not having the sport at this heart. He has spent a career watching the game and everything I have ever read about him has only reinforced the image of a guy that loves and understands boxing.

There were big calls for Sky to pick up the Hatton v Senchenko fight, but they got that one right.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 10 Jan 2013, 13:10

and lets be honest in terms of guaranteed top quality fights matchroom are unrivaled at the moment.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 10 Jan 2013, 18:41

i make sure the commentary is off when smith is on. i find his opinions patronising and totally unbalanced

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Hop Sun 28 Jul 2013, 00:06

I have never been entirely convinced that Adam Smith is actually a genuine fan of boxing.  He sounds like he wants to be a classic broadcaster in the field of sports, but at the time of applying, boxing was all Sky had. But then, if he can excel at boxing, he may get his dream transfer to being the dressage anchor.

http://www.boxing-articles.com/adam-smith-we-have-to-talk-about-adam/

J-Hop

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 28 Jul 2013, 09:34

Is that your article j-hop? Thought it was well written until the bit about leaving the real boxing talk to nelson and mcrory. If you're relying on your insight from those two, your insightometer won't blow any fuses.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 28 Jul 2013, 11:38

I don't like him either TRUSS.

him and Haye are just perfect for each other. Both arrogant and sly individuals who are only interested in conning the public. He likes to see himself as the greatest trainer ever but he aint even close.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Sun 28 Jul 2013, 11:49

hampo171 wrote:I'd like to see Ed Robinson take over from Smith. Robinson seems to know a fair bit about the sport, and his toe to toe podcasts with Spencer Fearon are good as well.

I don't know about that....while I'm sure he's a lovely bloke he does seem to have a "I've just soiled myself and probably will do again before the end of my spot" plastered all over his chevy chase.

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 28 Jul 2013, 11:50

Smith looks unhealthy to me like he might have had a serious illness. He seems fragile physically.

To be honest I don't expect much from the Sky Team so I'm not too disappointed when they don't deliver.

Bunce and Lillis are better I think. There's always the chance of a Buncey Eruption when he might actually says what he thinks.

Did anyone notice Bunce watching the play back of the stoppage in Chisora's last fight were he was trying to defend the referee only to be told he was not watching the replay in slow motion. His realisation that the ref messed up wasn't hard to read on his face. His's eyes were trying to pop out of his head he was trying so hard not to let go a hate filled rant at the ref for calling the fight off on a 9 count.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Hop Sun 28 Jul 2013, 12:32

milkyboy wrote:Is that your article j-hop? Thought it was well written until the bit about leaving the real boxing talk to nelson and mcrory. If you're relying on your insight from those two, your insightometer won't blow any fuses.

That not quite what I meant. I was trying to get across that he deflects questions to nelson/mcrory when any real insight is required, I didn't mean that I personally rely on them two for insight.

This is a common thing for a presenter to do (but Smith does describe himself as a boxing expert), it was just an observation. His boxing knowledge to me is entire superficia,l albeit with an encyclopedic knowledge of boxing cliches.

J-Hop

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sun 28 Jul 2013, 13:06

Ed Robinson, Johnny Nelson and Charlie Webster would be a better line up for ringside. Not a fan of Adam Smith and i wish they would stop putting Glen McCrory on every week as well the fella could put a glass eye to sleep.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 28 Jul 2013, 15:51

So it was your article j-hop. A nicely written hate rant. I'd like to do a similar hatchet job on Stuart Barnes if anyone can point me to an equivalent rugby blog... One with a liberal minded swear filter

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Sun 28 Jul 2013, 16:02

He's always reminded me of Mr Burns from the Simpsons with a bit of Davina McCall thrown in for extra irritation.
Doubt there's many Simpsons fans on here but Mccall may be another matter.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 28 Jul 2013, 16:33

Interesting you mention McCall, ranjit. She has held a regular place in my celebrity 'All time hate' list. She tends to languish behind Stuart Barnes and Steve wright (the sugar ray robinson of this list), battling it out with elton John and mark lawrenson for the higher top 5 places.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Sun 28 Jul 2013, 16:38

The SRR of my list would be Matthew Wright. Smugness personified with a face that is made for GBH.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 28 Jul 2013, 18:34

I always thought Davina was down to earth. She got over exposed alright which never helps. I never thought she was cynical though, what you see if what you get. That's just my impression, I could be wrong of course.

Piers and Cowell I don't like. I deeply dislike Paxman. Prince William seems like a smug prat as well. Kyle I would give a shoeing to on sight.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Mon 29 Jul 2013, 11:00

Matt Dawson and Gary Linekar need throwing from a very tall building. Would also like to park my car on James Cordon's head.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 29 Jul 2013, 12:21

Strongback wrote:I always thought Davina was down to earth.  She got over exposed alright which never helps.  I never thought she was cynical though, what you see if what you get.  That's just my impression, I could be wrong of course.

Piers and Cowell I don't like. I deeply dislike Paxman.  Prince William seems like a smug prat as well. Kyle I would give a shoeing to on sight.

Davina is down to earth in a plane crash kind of way. Loud needy melodramatic irritating witch from hell. Apart from that she's great!

I read Kyle as kylie at first. Was wondering if shoeing was a predictive text correction for another term.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Mon 29 Jul 2013, 12:31

Won't claim to having read all of this thread word for word but wanted to chuck my hat in all the same. For what its worth I think we probably have Adam smith to thank for the amount of boxing we do get on Sky. By and large they have baked the right horses (look at Hatton and Price) and we have had some pretty decent coverage despite Sky having cut back understandably.

Matroom and Sky seem to have got it about right and Adam Smith would appear to be in the centre of that.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 29 Jul 2013, 12:49

People need to be realistic about what sky can do with boxing. It does not have the level of support to justify them buying up as many overseas fights as the hardcore fans would like and also comes with a lot of hassle for the company. With most over sports there is some degree of certainty. Football you have 20 teams who will all play each other twice over the season and in that Man Utd will play Chelsea, Arsenal will play City and so on and so on. Similarly with Formula one they will have however many races they have over a season and so Sky can plan accordingly.

Boxing brings no such certainty, fights get cancelled at short notice and guys they have spent fortunes promoting and publicizing may not go on to take the fights the public or fans want them to take because their promoters don’t get on or because one them refused to wear a certain kind of glove or whatever other stupid excuses we have to endure. On the back of all this and the sports ongoing and seemingly endless willingness to shoot itself in the foot I personally am grateful Sky still bothers to show any boxing and like KM has mentioned I get the impression Smith is instrumental in ensuring this is still the case. In my opinion he is one of the good guys.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Jul 2013, 13:12

Agree with TRUSS re Smith's dreadful on-screen presence but also agree that without him, boxing on SKY would be virtually non-existent and the suggestion that he remain in the background seems to be a perfect solution

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 29 Jul 2013, 13:15

I'd be happy if Sky disappeared down a black hole.

The best fights are on Box Nation anyway.......better the devil you know.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 30 Jul 2013, 16:27

Strongback wrote:I'd be happy if Sky disappeared down a black hole.  

The best fights are on Box Nation anyway.......better the devil you know.

Oh hello..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down