The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most let down you've felt by a film ??

+16
Stella
Nakatomi Plaza
eirebilly
break_in_the_fifth
Hulking_up
Il Gialloblu
Adam D
Mike Selig
hodge
Hero
dummy_half
kingjohn7
Skydriver
Galted
The Womble
TRUSSMAN66
20 posters

Go down

Most let down you've felt by a film ?? Empty Most let down you've felt by a film ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 13:22

You've been waiting for it to come out on the big screen or rental.......Been thinking only a week or two to go till I can see it etc.....

and then bang what a load trash...........

Superman 3.....................wow what a letdown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Most let down you've felt by a film ?? Empty Re: Most let down you've felt by a film ??

Post by The Womble Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 13:43

Now, I don't view Superman 3 as a let down however I can understand why you would. For me its a guilty pleasure. I think, because it was solely a Richard Lester project who was known for his comedy slapstick films, it didn't have Gene Hackman in it and it had Richard Pryor in it it was never going to be as good as the other 2. Also the fact that he was up against a super computer rather than one of his villains from the comics showed that they weren't taking the character seriously anymore.

I love in the film when he gets the synthetic kryptonite which temporarily turns him evil that instead of doing villainly things like killing people he just gets drunk, gets his end away and flicks peanuts at a mirror!

As for the question above, I felt let down by Die Hard 4 and The Muppets.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Most let down you've felt by a film ?? Empty Re: Most let down you've felt by a film ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 13:48

General Zod was a hard act to follow i guess......Crazy

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 14:47

Drive
Hangover
Bridesmaids
Platoon
Awaydays
Shutter Island
Essex Boys
Le Qauttro Volte
Simon Birch
Tintin
Memento
Gladiator
Green Mile
I Am Legend
Untouchables
Australia
Da Vinci Code
Green Street
A Time To Kill
The Life Of David Gale
Napoleon Dynamite

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 14:49

awaydays....that was trash......................

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 15:03

yep, to be fair to it every football hooligan film I've seen was a let down - The Firm was good but just ended as though the director & cast found something better to do

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 15:55

Skyfall.........seriously how is this being tipped for Oscar nomination. Just shows how poor film is becoming.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 16:45

The Matrix Reloaded.

I'm tempted to also say The Matrix Revolutions, but expectations had already been dented by then (see above).

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 16:54

Bloody hell Galted ur harsh, maybe u got too high expectations? (gladiator, come on mate)
For me recently it has to be Inception.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 17:11

Can't believe no-one else has mentioned this one:

STAR WARS: THE PHANTOM MENACE

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 17:28

I also expected that Episode I and Crystal Skull might be namechecked (possibly prompting the usual debate / fatwa being declared on George Lucas again). I myself don't consider either to be the biggest movie let downs though.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 18:56

kingjohn7 wrote:Bloody hell Galted ur harsh, maybe u got too high expectations? (gladiator, come on mate).

It's not the worst film I've ever seen but Gladiator didn't come close to living up to the masterpiece I'd been repeatedly told about & the ending was just farfetched melodramatic garbage. Don't think Russell Crowe was very convincing either, it did have some spectacular scenes though. Might just be that I'm easily disappointed.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 20:57

Only messing mate, just cos you said so many films.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 21:13

ET

I was a young lad obsessed with Star Wars, aliens were my be all and end all and coming out was this new movie about an alien coming to earth with a young lad. What a flippin letdown of a film. Where's the action? Where's the cool powers? Oh he can make bikes levitate and plants die! I can do the second one quite easily! And he resembled a giant poop.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 21:17

@ kingjohn7

No worries - list would have been a lot longer if I'd've mentioned sequels and prequels.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 3:17

Spiderman 3, Venom deserved so much more!

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 11:32

I guess this discussion is really about films which failed to live up to their hype - if you're not expecting anything from a film you're hardly going to be let down are you?

It's interesting how people's perceptions vary so much; taking Galted's list, there are a couple I would agree with (Drive - somewhat pretentious, overly serious and failed to be as good as it thought it was - and Gladiator - decent film but not the absolute masterpiece it's made out to be), a couple I think are genuinely great films (Shutter Island and Memento) and something like the Da Vinci code which I'm surprised anyone could feel let down by, not because it was any good but because it was never going to be (although I know of two people who think it's great...).

dummy_half gives episode I, but as a kid at the time I can't say I felt tremendously let-down - my dad more so probably.

The two ones which spring to mind right now for me are Drive - given the hype and all the positive reviews - and Dredd 3D which made some good noises, but turned out to be 2 hours of stupidly serious and very repetitive gore - if you're going to make gore and take yourself seriously (it is easier to do gore and be silly about it) then you have to make sure it's very very good, otherwise it just looks silly for the wrong reasons. See the Raid (which I saw after Dredd) for how to make a serious violent film.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 11:39

Mike Selig wrote: something like the Da Vinci code which I'm surprised anyone could feel let down by, not because it was any good but because it was never going to be (although I know of two people who think it's great...).

I guess Dan Brown was one of them?

I would agree with some of the mentions, especially Napoleon Dynamite which was so bad it defies belief.

The Blair Witch project would be a nominee for me although I did like the very end of it.

I would also add The Dark Knight Rises - dont get me wrong, its a good film but the expectation wasnt as good as the reality.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 14:21

Didn't think Da Vinci code would be hugely brilliant but it did have a decent cast & I thought it would be a couple of mindlessly entertaining hours similar to the Bourne films. Wasn't prepared for how terrible it turned out to be.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 14:25

Never seen any of the opus dei films.........

Heard the books are boring rubbish and overrated...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 15:17

Groundhog Day
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 20:55

The Dark Knight Rises

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 6 Jan 2013 - 12:01

Surprised people are saying Dark Knight rises, I really liked it.

The DBZ movie was such a let down that I never even watched it just out of protest. Some things are too important and as such demand proper treatment, this was one of them and unfortunately it never got it.

Avatar the last airbender was another let down as well. The worst thing is that the graphics and effects are pretty much spot on; a lot of people worked really hard and did their part just for it to be ruined by casting choice, actors etc. I mean seriously you wonder if the actors had ever seen an episode of the cartoon.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 6 Jan 2013 - 13:11

Funnily enough, I really liked the Last Airbender!

Dont get me wrong, I wasnt expecting much but it was a lot better than all the reviews made out.

It was the exact opposite of the Dark Knight in that sense.

One had ludicrously great reviews and the film was only good IMO
And the other one had ludicrously bad reviews and was good IMO!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 6 Jan 2013 - 13:25

I don't know they just messed up too many things, characters all wrong and a whole bunch of other things that didn't fit. The cartoon was amazing and is something I'd recommend.

With regards to star wars 1, although I saw the originals as a kid, I was still too young to realise what a disappointment it was. In fact even now it's hard to put your finger on what went wrong with the prequels.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 6 Jan 2013 - 16:55

Saw Looper the other day and i was not all that impressed with it to be honest.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 6 Jan 2013 - 17:25

Halloween 3.......I spent 90 minutes waiting for Michael Myers to show up!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Sun 6 Jan 2013 - 20:45

Vanilla Sky, just couldn't get into it, and found it to be quite dull.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 12:49

The Phantom Menace, although I had a bad feeling it would be a let down.

When Harry Met Sally.........not funny.

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 13:31

Strange to read a lot of these opinions.

Drive is a great film, dkr is probably better than expected.

I'd go for green lantern, in hindsight I should've known better with the casting etc but I expected it to be on par with Thor, iron man etc and it was poor.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteCamry Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 19:32

Star Wars 1-3 ( A Jedi with a tricorder??!!)
Blade Runner, the Director's Cut (the producers knew what they were doing when they insisted Harrison Ford voice-over the narrative.)
Jules & Jim (OTOH, too much narrative voice-over can be a red-flag. )
Il Postino (sweet story but the ending was tacked on.)

WhiteCamry

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 20:33

Galted wrote:Drive
Hangover
Bridesmaids
Platoon
Awaydays
Shutter Island
Essex Boys

Le Qauttro Volte
Simon Birch
Tintin
Memento
Gladiator
Green Mile

I Am Legend
Untouchables
Australia
Da Vinci Code
Green Street
A Time To Kill
The Life Of David Gale
Napoleon Dynamite

WOW, I thoroughly enjoyed the bolded films.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 20:40

Star Wars Episode 1.
The Hangover.
Cloverfield.
Australia.
X-men Origins: Wolverine.
E.T.
Bruno.
All of the above were either very built up or had me in waiting in anticipation to view. All are overrated and not that good.

Blade Runner.
Rated as all time classic. My verdict: Just what is this unentertaining rubbish all about? I found that I was asking myself that question all the way through the film.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 20:43

From the last two posts, I would argue till my last breath over The Untouchables and ET as being a let down.

Both of them top class films made by top directors at the top of their games.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 20:55

The Untouchables is epic, but I tend to agree with Hero on E.T.

I also forgot to add Avatar to the list. Why do people think it's so good? I prefer Pocahontas, they are basically the same story. And Sam Worthington can't act, period. But I suppose not many Australians can...
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 8:54

Forgot to add Sixth Sense - stupid & obvious twist (to be fair everyone had banged on about The Twist and how incredibly amazing it was so I knew one was coming but didn't have to think too hard what it was, didn't really have to think at all).

On top of that Bruce Willis's character is thick enough to be in Dumb & Dumber. No-one talks to him or acknowledges him except for a kid who sees dead people, ffs mate put 2 & 2 together - makes Forrest Gump seem like Stephen Hawking.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 18:09

Laugh I enjoyed it. I hadn't heard of there being a twist before the film either, I was very young when my parents rented the video from Blockbuster. Everyone banged on about there being a twist to Shutter Island, so I worked out that obvious twist. That said I still enjoyed that film. Dicaprio excellent as always.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 20:05

Morgannwg wrote:
Blade Runner.
Rated as all time classic. My verdict: Just what is this unentertaining rubbish all about? I found that I was asking myself that question all the way through the film.
Laugh Exactly how I felt, same as with The Deerhunter

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 20:46

Agreed Bladerunner was pap..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 22:32

kingjohn7 wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:
Blade Runner.
Laugh Exactly how I felt, same as with The Deerhunter

Deer Hunter is rubbish too. I was confused through that film.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by boomdangle Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 9:41

the mrs was ill over the weekend so had a Matthew McConaughey double bill over the weekend, rented Magic Mike and Killer Joe.

Started with Killer Joe had heard it was really good and he was back to his best and a scene with a chicken leg, it was not like how i thought it was going to be, presumed he would be killing more people. I found the film slow dull and a real let down. and just ends with no proper conclusion.

Thought could salvage the evening by putting on magic mike expecting it to be rather funny, instead was trying to be serious, the star had a back seat role, the other strippers made up from a wrestler delko from csi ans seed from true blood they were never really touched upon yet i felt there characters had more back story than boring channign tatum how the critics were raving over this i will never know and again jsut as they biuld a story line it jsut stops

so annoyed with both films, felt i had been sold totally diffrent films to what they turned out to be

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 12:43

Sunshine. I was really hooked and then when the ending was near it was utter crap. Why they felt the need for a guy to still be alive was a dreadful twist.

Con Air. Felt the ending was rushed and un-inspired. The anti-climax was brilliant, then they hit Vegas and it was downhill from there.

Righteous Kill. Just awful from start to finish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down