The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OBE for Murray

+3
Danny_1982
CaledonianCraig
time please
7 posters

Go down

OBE for Murray Empty OBE for Murray

Post by time please Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:51 am

Andy Murray awarded an OBE in the New Year's Honours List.

A lot of athletes scooping honours, as expected, after this summer. Not sure how I feel about athletes being honoured while they are still competing - personally would prefer to see on their retirement from sport.

Will he be knighted if he manages to add a Wimbledon title? If so, should Virginia Wade with 3 slams to her name be elevated to a dame?

time please

Back to top Go down

OBE for Murray Empty Re: OBE for Murray

Post by Guest Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:02 am

It is times like this that I could shoot the monarch!

If there is anything that can sidetrack an athlete's career and that is a stupid title from the monarch!

Wait till this athletes finish their careers before bestowing such honours.

Last edited by legendkillarV2 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:04 am

Congratulations Andy. Perhaps the reason Virginia's achievements aren't so acclaimed are because hers came at a time when success was much more expected for a British tennis player as the sport was in a much healthier state then with the country having a number of contenders in the mens and womens game.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:05 am

I completely agree with you TP. I don't get why sportsmen and women can't be honoured after they retire. Or at least close to the end of their careers.

Murray probably would get knighted if he won Wimbledon. Which would make me cringe a little. Imagine he won it this year... Next year we could have a 26 year old tennis player ranked 4th in the world being addressed as sir by his peers! Ridiculous.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:08 am

I do believe any knighthoods if it ever was to come was to wait until the career is over.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:11 am

Danny_1982 wrote:I completely agree with you TP. I don't get why sportsmen and women can't be honoured after they retire. Or at least close to the end of their careers.

Murray probably would get knighted if he won Wimbledon. Which would make me cringe a little. Imagine he won it this year... Next year we could have a 26 year old tennis player ranked 4th in the world being addressed as sir by his peers! Ridiculous.

But think of Federer's face at having to address him as Sir Andrew!!

I'm happy for Andy; MBEs, OBEs and CBEs are fine during this stage of an athlete's career but I do agree that a "Sir" should come towards the end or at the end of a player's career. It will come anyway.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:17 am

Exactly Juan. Don't get me wrong I'm delighted for Andy but I wish the recognition would be after he'd finished.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:21 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Congratulations Andy. Perhaps the reason Virginia's achievements aren't so acclaimed are because hers came at a time when success was much more expected for a British tennis player as the sport was in a much healthier state then with the country having a number of contenders in the mens and womens game.

Whoa there.

There wasn't a genuine British Male threat at the Slams in the 70's.

Virginia deserves high recognition given she played in an era which featured King and Court and an emerging Navratilova.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:27 am

Well we had six British men in the top 100 and three in the top 50 so certainly way stronger than we are now. Virginia Wade deserves recognition for sure but I am not the one giving out awards.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:30 am

She has an OBE.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:00 pm

Henman got an OBE, it seems likely that Murray will go further if his upwards trajectory continues. Like others I'd prefer that he get any "K" after he's stopped playing.

Frankly I think that while they are still competing sporting knights and dames are embarrassing - I don't want to see Sir Bradley Wiggins being dropped in the mountains by Mr. Chris Froome, not to mention Messrs. Contador and Schleck.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:02 pm

barrystar wrote:Henman got an OBE, it seems likely that Murray will go further if his upwards trajectory continues. Like others I'd prefer that he get any "K" after he's stopped playing.

Frankly I think that while they are still competing sporting knights and dames are embarrassing - I don't want to see Sir Bradley Wiggins being dropped in the mountains by Mr. Chris Froome, not to mention Messrs. Contador and Schleck.

Agreed Barry and I am sure the sportsmen themselves would prefer it that way as well.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:38 pm

Murray more or less said that himself after his USO win when people were suggesting he should get a knighthood.

“I think it should take more than winning a couple of good tournaments to deserve something like that.

“I just think people are saying that because it is such a long time since we won something in tennis but I think it would be a little bit rash.”

The OBE seems about right to me.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:18 pm

Nadal doesn't get any award for yet another year.

I'm furious.
I'm writing a letter to Buckingham Palace immediately.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:22 pm

Even Tim Henman has an OBE Whistle . Rafa must be gutted/furious/disappointed.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:23 pm

It's beyond ridiculous.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down