The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rugby Blog's team of the AI's

+16
ALPanorak
king_carlos
yappysnap
aucklandlaurie
JigsQ
nganboy
atletico86
Francogermanicenglishman
Biltong
dummy_half
Geordie
Cyril
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Ozzy3213
GunsGerms
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
20 posters

Go down

The Rugby Blog's team of the AI's Empty The Rugby Blog's team of the AI's

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:29 am

From http://www.therugbyblog.co.uk/autumn-internationals-2012-team-of-the-autumn :

1: Yannick Forestier (France)
The Castres prop was handed his France debut this autumn at the ripe old age of 30. He looked like he’d been waiting for it his whole playing career, as he proceeded to tear into an undercooked Australian scrum and cement his position for the following Argentinian game, which they again won comfortably. Prop has never been a position of weakness for France, and they can add Forestier to their list of exemplary performers in this area. Mention goes to Alex Corbisiero who shored up the England scrum for the final two games of their autumn.

2: Adriaan Strauss (South Africa)
The Bismarck Du Plessis-shaped hole in Bokke front row has been filled this Autumn by Strauss, cousin of namesake Richardt who debuted for Ireland – and what a job he has done. The lineout has always been an area of strength for South Africa and he has made sure that trend has continued, with a 100% record from their first two games. He also grabbed a brace against Scotland – no mean feat for a hooker – which included the vision to intercept a long pass and the pace to gallop away under the posts.

3: Dan Cole (England)
Cole’s status as one of the best tight-heads in the world has been confirmed this season as he has grown into a superb all-round player. Not only is he one of the more accomplished scrummagers, but his work at the breakdown surpasses the rest of the world’s front-row forwards by some distance. Add to that his quiet intelligence and work-rate, and there’s little doubt he deserves his spot here. Mention must also go to Nicolas Mas, who spearheads a fearsome French front five.

4: Eben Etzebeth (South Africa)
Etzebeth has undoubtedly been the find of the season. When Bakkies Botha retired South African fans were rightly concerned about the giant-sized hole the most ferocious enforcer in world rugby would leave, but 21 year-old, baby-faced Etzebeth has quickly got up to speed and had a fine autumn tearing into new Northern Hemisphere opposition. Mention must go to Irish pair McCarthy and Ryan, who shone in the dismantling of the Argentinean pack, effectively winning the game in the process.

5: Pascal Papé (France)
French fans would have approached this autumn not really knowing what to expect; a new coach and an inexperienced, new-look lineup left them not necessarily expecting great success. Huge credit must go, therefore, to their talismanic captain Pascal Papé, who brought them together and led them to 3 wins from 3, including the smashing of the Wallabies.

6: Yannick Nyanga (France)
The second Yannick in this team made his return to the international fold after 5 years out in the wilderness, but it was impossible to tell he had been away. The highlight of his autumn came in the form of a try against Argentina that showcased his power, awareness, and acceleration to round the full-back. He is part of a French back-row that is as good as any in the world, even with the mighty Dusautoir to return. Mention goes to Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe, who has led Argentina to a ground-breaking year – there is plenty more to come from them.

7: Richie McCaw (New Zealand)
McCaw’s 6-month sabbatical would have been much sweeter for the great man had his team not suffered a record breaking defeat to England in his final game. He should take the time off feeling proud of what he has achieved as the captain of a New Zealand side who had an extraordinarily successful season, but you just know that he is such a perfectionist that that loss will eat away at him. Immovable at the breakdown and with an engine that never packs in, he is one of the finest players ever to have played the game and proved it again this autumn.

8: Kieran Read (New Zealand)
McCaw’s back-row companion has confirmed himself as the world’s number one no.8, holding off a strong challenge from Frenchman Louis Picamoles. Read handles the ball with the same ease as the rest of the New Zealand pack, and he has a handy knack of scoring tries. A more complete no.8 there is not at the moment.

9: Aaron Smith (New Zealand)
Scrum half is currently not an area of great strength worldwide, and Aaron Smith makes the team more for the potential he has shown than a groundbreaking autumn. He seems to be New Zealand’s choice to finally plug the gap left by the great Justin Marshall/Brendan Kelleher rivalry, and with pace to burn and a fizzing pass he looks to be a good option. Mention must go to Ruan Pienaar who may not possess the pace of other scrum-halves, but is a supremely canny operator.

10: Dan Carter (New Zealand)
Carter had an off day at Twickenham, but he nevertheless remains head and shoulders above every other fly-half in world rugby as his master class at Edinburgh their opening game of the autumn proves. The amount of time he seems to have with the ball in hand is astonishing, and defences so rarely seem to rattle him (which makes what happened at Twickenham all the more impressive). Mention goes to Freddie Michalak who finally stepped up and showed he had the temperament to run a backline to match his undoubted genius.

11: Julien Savea (New Zealand)
The Wellington winger confirmed himself as the most deadly finisher in world rugby this autumn, with 6 tries in 4 games taking his total to 12 in 9 appearances. Tall, powerful and quick, he has all the attributes a modern winger needs. Obviously, he benefits from having a host of world-class backs inside him feeding him ball, but with such a fine scoring record he must take a lot of the credit.

12: Jean de Villiers (South Africa)
The old warhorse of South African rugby led his team to another successful Northern Hemisphere tour, and in the process round off a mixed season for the Boks. Their style of play is not the easiest on the eye, but in de Villiers they have a man who will always run hard and fast, offering up the occasional offload in the process. Frans Steyn will probably be the long-term successor, but they will miss this man’s leadership in the midfield when he has gone.

13: Conrad Smith (New Zealand)
The man they call “snakehips” is probably one of the most underrated players in the world, and a glaring omission from the IRB Player of the Year shortlist. The centre is as important as the likes of McCaw and Carter, marshalling the midfield in defence (glaring error against England aside) and with an eye for a gap that sees him frequently break the line. His partnership with Nonu is rightly the most feared in world rugby.

14: Nick Cummins (Australia)
The Western Force winger had a storming autumn, scoring in two of Australia’s four tests including a vital try against England at Twickenham. His shaggy hair and bizarre assertion that he models his defensive game on a honey badger make him somewhat of an enigma, but with all their injuries to creative players that is exactly what Australia need right now. With pace and power in equal measures, he would form a formidable partnership with Savea.

15: Leigh Halfpenny (Wales)
A devastatingly poor autumn series for Wales had one saving grace: the form of Leigh Halfpenny. The Cardiff man has announced himself as a genuinely world-class full-back, and emerged as the early frontrunner for the Lions berth in this position. His goalkicking is monotonously reliable, and under the high ball he has become almost as dependable as his great rival for that Lions spot Rob Kearney. One of the very few men to come out of Wales’ autumn in credit.

Not a bad side - I didn't see many of France's games, but seeing as they went through unbeaten they deserve a fair representation.

Alex Goode runs a close second at fullback for me, while I think Sam Whitelock runs Papé close. And I'm really not sure about JDV - I'd go for Fofana at 12.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

The Rugby Blog's team of the AI's Empty Re: The Rugby Blog's team of the AI's

Post by GunsGerms Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:37 am

I think Fofana is the most exciting 12 in world rugby at the moment. I didnt see any of France's games either though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:41 am

GunsGerms wrote:I think Fofana is the most exciting 12 in world rugby at the moment. I didnt see any of France's games either though.

I saw Fofana when Clermont played Exeter a few weeks back. Massively impressive, and would be my pick at 12 for a world XV, comfortably ahead of Nonu and SBW (who? Wink )
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:43 am

I would have said SBW if he hadnt quit rugby union. Nono is very good at what he does and sometimes under rated but I reckon Fofana is a more exciting player.

Tune into Clermont v Leinster on Sunday for proof, it is going to be a belter.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:47 am

GunsGerms wrote:I would have said SBW if he hadnt quit rugby union. Nonu is very good at what he does and sometimes under rated but I reckon Fofana is a more exciting player.

Tune into Clermont v Leinster on Sunday for proof, it is going to be a belter.

That's on my must watch list already, would have loved to have joined Gibson and friends at the match too.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:50 am

Didn't Fofana spend the AI's playing on the wing for France? Would be hard to include him at 12 if he didn't play there.

I don't think there was really an outstanding candidate for that jersey across these games, so can understand why the selector of this side has gone with JdV.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:54 am

It just seems odd that theres 3 Kiwis in there who were played off the park by their opposite numbers in the England game, and who didnt play in all the preceeding tour matches.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:57 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:Didn't Fofana spend the AI's playing on the wing for France? Would be hard to include him at 12 if he didn't play there.

I don't think there was really an outstanding candidate for that jersey across these games, so can understand why the selector of this side has gone with JdV.

Missed France's AI matches but anytime I seen him play for Clermont and France he has played at 12 and he is an excellent 12. Strange he would be picked on the wing.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:02 pm

I think (as usual) some of these picks are based on reputation rather than actual form over the games specified (Autumn Internationals).

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:05 pm

I agree bar maybe Nick Cummins and Ezebeth who did stand out.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:44 pm

I think (as usual) some of these picks are based on reputation rather than actual form over the games specified (Autumn Internationals).

I think your right Cyril...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 07 Dec 2012, 1:05 pm

Harsh on Wood and Manu to not even get a mention in the comments. I know Wood only came back into the side for the last 2 games, but he was one of the key reasons we matched the Bok at the breakdown and beat the ABs, while Manu just had one of those unforgetable performances against New Zealand, having up to that point been the one real bright spark in England's attack.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 07 Dec 2012, 1:08 pm

Well. can I just thank the Team that selected three Boks in here. My year is complete.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Francogermanicenglishman Fri 07 Dec 2012, 1:25 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Ozzy3213 wrote:Didn't Fofana spend the AI's playing on the wing for France? Would be hard to include him at 12 if he didn't play there.

Missed France's AI matches but anytime I seen him play for Clermont and France he has played at 12 and he is an excellent 12. Strange he would be picked on the wing.

Fofana definetely started on the right wing and was very good, Mermoz played 12 for France and was pretty good too

Francogermanicenglishman

Back to top Go down

Post by Francogermanicenglishman Fri 07 Dec 2012, 1:26 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Fofana definetely started on the right wing and was very good, Mermoz played 12 for France and was pretty good too

Francogermanicenglishman

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 12:20 am

For me Kahn Fotuali’i was hands-down the best scrumhalf of the Autumn Internationals...absolutely supreme for samoa against wales and france. Can't believe nobody has mentioned him here but I suppose there arent many Samoan supporters on this forum!!

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sun 09 Dec 2012, 11:33 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:It just seems odd that theres 3 Kiwis in there who were played off the park by their opposite numbers in the England game, and who didnt play in all the preceeding tour matches.

Does that game count as one of the official AI games? I thought the last games for NZ and Aus were only money gathering exercises and weren't part of the official IRB games.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by JigsQ Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:34 pm

Cole? Shocked

JigsQ

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 15 Dec 2012, 5:18 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:It just seems odd that theres 3 Kiwis in there who were played off the park by their opposite numbers in the England game, and who didnt play in all the preceeding tour matches.

Not odd at all, didnt you know that New Zealanders always get preferential treatment.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 15 Dec 2012, 6:48 pm

Thought Hooper was far more effective then Mccaw, Nyanga was brilliant for France though.

The choice of JDV is frankly bizarre.

Cummins was pretty surprising too, i'd have said Brown was a lot more effective.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sun 23 Dec 2012, 3:52 pm

Here's Gregor Paul of the NZ Herald's XV: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10855733

Fairly similar,
Dagg
Jane
Davies
SBW
Habana
Carter
Fotuali'i
Read
McCaw
Lobbe
Etzebeth
Gray
Cole
A Strauss
Taumalolo
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 23 Dec 2012, 4:38 pm

As a World XV for the year I'd say that's pretty fair.

You can see it's from a Southern Hemisphere writer with nomination of Taumalolo but as I didn't see much of the S15 this season I can't really comment on how he played. I'm very happy to see Fotuali'i in there though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 27 Dec 2012, 9:27 pm

Lobbe again?!!!!!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 27 Dec 2012, 9:30 pm

king_carlos wrote:As a World XV for the year I'd say that's pretty fair.

You can see it's from a Southern Hemisphere writer with nomination of Taumalolo but as I didn't see much of the S15 this season I can't really comment on how he played. I'm very happy to see Fotuali'i in there though.

Taumalolo was amazing in the S15 and especially in games with little to no scrums; he was a try scoring machine and i'm pretty sure I saw a clip of him making a 40 yard bread, now playing for Perpignan in the T14 he's finding out that there's a whole new less glamorous side to being a prop!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ALPanorak Thu 27 Dec 2012, 9:48 pm

JDV's inclusion is the only real glaring issue for me as Fofana has consistently been dynamic in attack for France and pretty solid in defence also (I believe he split time 50/50 between playing wing and 12 this year for France but the latter is his natural & club position)

ALPanorak

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePantomimeVillain Thu 27 Dec 2012, 10:52 pm

JDV? really? give us all a break. Tuilagi or Nonu surely.

ThePantomimeVillain

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 28 Dec 2012, 5:41 am

ThePantomimeVillain wrote:JDV? really? give us all a break. Tuilagi or Nonu surely.

+1

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 28 Dec 2012, 9:53 am

ThePantomimeVillain wrote:JDV? really? give us all a break. Tuilagi or Nonu surely.

Tuilagi? He's pretty much JDV without the defensive awareness. Did little all year apart from 15 minutes running through a NZ side that briefly seemed incapable of tackling anyone.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePantomimeVillain Sat 29 Dec 2012, 7:57 am

Good point well made. Probably nonu then. Or who ever was shoe horned in at ic for the wallabies can't have been to bad on any given day.

ThePantomimeVillain

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 29 Dec 2012, 9:23 am

Fofana or Samoa's Williams perhaps?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sat 29 Dec 2012, 11:20 am

ThePantomimeVillain wrote:Probably nonu then. Or who ever was shoe horned in at ic for the wallabies can't have been to bad on any given day.

Quite a difficult one, Nonu is a class act but didn't seem to play too often, SBW played instead of him in the RC but seems too intent on delivering the one-handed-offload from as many acrobatic positions as possible to bother with the game - should join a circus. Fofana looked good in the few games I saw him in but unfortunately France don't seem to make the TV schedules for the AIs.

Agree about the Aussies though, really annoyed by their production line of talented backs that are at home in any position. Was thinking that if they had a similar production line for forwards they'd be unbeatable but that would just make them another NZ.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down