The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh Premiership young up and coming number eights...?

+4
pioden gorllewin
Shifty
Morgannwg
maestegmafia
8 posters

Go down

Welsh Premiership young up and coming number eights...? Empty Welsh Premiership young up and coming number eights...?

Post by maestegmafia Sat 27 Oct 2012, 12:39 pm

So who have we got entering the Frey over the next two years.??

In contention at the regions:

McCusker - cant see him being as good as Toby.
Murphy - I think he has decent potential to succeed but not getting much game time.
Toby - currently in opposed in the hot seat. Keeps dropping the ball...!!!
Hamilton - played well at JWC last year but often at six. Good player shows promise.

None at Ospreys.

So who at the premiership is ready to step up

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Welsh Premiership young up and coming number eights...? Empty Re: Welsh Premiership young up and coming number eights...?

Post by Morgannwg Sat 27 Oct 2012, 12:41 pm

Ieuan Jones, the guy on the Dragons books. Still 19 I think. He was formerly at Pontypool, I'm not sure who he is attached to now.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Welsh Premiership young up and coming number eights...? Empty Re: Welsh Premiership young up and coming number eights...?

Post by maestegmafia Sat 27 Oct 2012, 12:52 pm

Good start their Morgs cheers

Swansea have Dan Baker, number 8 for Wales at the last JWC.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Oct 2012, 4:20 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Ieuan Jones, the guy on the Dragons books. Still 19 I think. He was formerly at Pontypool, I'm not sure who he is attached to now.

Think he plays for Zooport a lot. At 6 a fair bit though (I think).

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 28 Oct 2012, 8:57 am

Morgan Allen often stands out for me, he was at Swansea and Aberavon every time I have seen him he looks pretty useful.

Haydn Pugh of Carmarthen Quins looks a very promising player though in his early / mid 20's now he needs to go professional sooner rather than later.

Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 28 Oct 2012, 4:22 pm

Good to see a few names in the hat. We need a few of these lads to really step it up.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Sun 28 Oct 2012, 4:33 pm

Sion Bennett from scarlets. Big frame, ball carrying 8 with rugby brain. Currently with Carmarthen quins. Luke Kendall is the 8 for llandovery, very similar to a young Ben Morgan. Hopefully both will have a run out for scarlets in lv cup at some point this season. Both I'd say are two seasons off regional rugby, but plenty of potential.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 28 Oct 2012, 4:38 pm

Not to be too pedantic but aren't Allen and Jones Ospreys and Dragons academy men being kept warm in the prem??

Pugh is an Osprey reject isn't he, primarily a lock who covers back row. He's early mid 20's now isn't he?

Baker is Swansea back rower, again early 20's and given up on by a region?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 28 Oct 2012, 6:18 pm

Copeland at the Blues looks a good prospect, not sure if he is 6 or an 8 or even if he is Welsh but has impressed when I have seen him.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 28 Oct 2012, 6:20 pm

He is from Rotherham I think, he played lock all last season but the Cardiff and the blues have been using him as back rower.

He's pretty usefull ball in hand but pretty useless defencively, he looks great in the prem against the amateurs and kids but the step up is a bit too much for him IMO.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 01 Nov 2012, 12:06 pm

He'd make a great 7's player i reckon, too bad Ireland doesn't have a team.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 01 Nov 2012, 12:11 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Not to be too pedantic but aren't Allen and Jones Ospreys and Dragons academy men being kept warm in the prem??

Pugh is an Osprey reject isn't he, primarily a lock who covers back row. He's early mid 20's now isn't he?

Baker is Swansea back rower, again early 20's and given up on by a region?

Pugh was with the Scarlets academy along with Turnbull, and was in the under 20s squad that took part in the Liberty Stadium 'incident' with the French. He then sinced for Neath, and was never realistically heard from again. A number of young players seemed to have done similar silly decisions like that and ended up disappearing.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 01 Nov 2012, 12:12 pm

He probably just wasn't good enough to be honest.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down