The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pete's Pick of the Proud Provinces

+3
clivemcl
red_stag
pete (buachaill on eirne)
7 posters

Go down

Pete's Pick of the Proud Provinces Empty Pete's Pick of the Proud Provinces

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 18 Sep 2012, 11:53 am

Hi all,

Hope everyone is keeping well. Before all the internationals come back in to the fray proper I thought I'd scribble up a list of some of the Irish younger lads who have impressed me over the first few weeks of rugby when the "stars" were out.

We've had some good starts, Ulster obviously doing very well, Munster look re-born under Penny and Leinster who normally are stuck in first gear for the first few weeks were much quicker out of the blocks that in previous years running. Connacht also while having thrown away (literally) a losing bonus point at the weekend, they got a result in Italy and their play has developed.

Haven't seen every game but have seen the vast majority so apologies for gaps in knowledge.

All players listed are IQ

So in alphabetical.....

CONNACHT
McCarthy: I've never been one of his biggest fans to be honest but he has started this season extremely well. He has been physicality in a nut shell, looking very good all round. His lineout work is solid if not anything more but it is in the tight exchanges where he has really excelled so far this season. Huge defensive hits, disruptive counter-rucking and very effective charges.

Griffin: Had a very good game last week against Scarlets one quite poor defensive error aside. He looks dangerous on the attack much in the same way that O'Malley does in the 13 channel using very good feet and holding the ball in two hands but Griffin appears more physical. Would be very interesting to see how he would get on in a more successful team but I think Connacht are building well already and there squad appears stronger this year. Probably not going to get an Irish squad call up but he is developing very nicely.

LEINSTER
Hagan: Has shown some serious improvement this year. Last year he was something of a bit part player due to Nathan White but this season he will get far more game time and early indications are good. Strong scrummaging in all his games to date have been coupled with a better level of fitness and appetite for work. Carries the ball effectively enough and his defence is on the up. I can see him making Irish 23 man squads shortly enough.

Cronin: Looks to have rounded his game a bit more. He still cuts delicious angles and is stupidly quick for a front rower but his lineout throwing so far this season has improved upon what was already an improvement. His work in the tight while not as eye catching is now more effective than it was previously, most noticeably on Leinster ruck ball he clears out with a large dollop of aggression and solid technique.

Madigan: Is flying high. We all knew about his exciting running game and his ability to pass the ball better than any other player on the island and he continues to demonstrate these skills but his overall game has come on massively. First of all his defence, he has a low tackle technique and is getting stuck in and getting through the work. Secondly his tactical kicking, after a poor pre-season kicking display he has started kicking from hand with a lot more confidence and guile. Finally, his place kicking which we rarely got to see has now be unveiled and looks good.

MUNSTER
O'Callaghan: I am not going to lie and tell you I am a fan of his, I think Ryan, Tuohy and POC are better but DOC has shown how much fight he has. He has embraced Penny's new style (which is looking quite successful I am happy to say) and gets his hands on the ball more and is willing to move it rather than do a neanderthal and hit the nearest opponent. Huge aggression and ruthless tackling while becoming more of a lineout target too. I am hugely impressed not only by his desire and attitude but also his technique which he is deciding to demonstrate of late.

Keatley: Is another who has really come out of the blocks all guns blazing. His erratic place kicking of last year is remarkably better now and he is opportunistic as seen against Ulster. He runs the ball to the line and his pass while not in any way outstanding is educated in terms of decision making. Looks a real positive and gets Munster going forward and varying the avenues of attack. Could be really important for Munster in their transition of style and if he can keep his performances consistent then could be taking the Red 10 jersey from you-know-who.

O'Dea: Is looking outstanding. The guy has pace, not normal pace, real pace, the kind that some other back 3 players look on with unconcealed envy. Their is no substitute to pace but his game is based on more. He runs good support lines, holds his depth well. His defence hasn't been exposed as such and doesn't look very prone to being exposed. He has that raw edge of flair that Zebo has yet he has that rock wall feel to him similar to Howlett or Fitzgerald. Not entirely sure what his kicking game is like but I'd order the boy to run them all back! Hope he can hold on to a spot in the Munster team and the injury is minor.

ULSTER
Black: Is one that while I haven't seen much of him I think he could really end up coming good. He's got all the traits I like in a loosehead and has a very similar mobility game to Healy. His scrummaging needs to be worked upon but the guy is still very young. I hope he gets a lot of game time this season as him and Macklin are both good front row prospects up north.

Stevenson: Has really furthered on his image as a hard nosed tough second row. Played a number of games last season and was even challenging Tuohy for a start and he has begun the season well. He is looking strong, committed and solid. Maybe not the greatest advertisement to the "new game" but he is extraordinarily effective in defence and both defensive and offensive rucks. I hope the coaches drill skills into him til they are coming out his ears because he could become a total rugby player one day.

Marshall: This season has had something of a transformation in my mind. Seeing as he is currently first choice with Pienaar unavailable he is no longer the live wire 9 who goes shooting off in all directions attacking various alleys and maneuvering the ball well. He has matured somewhat as he is aware he can't play like that for 80minutes. He still snipes and probes to good affect but he does the basics far better than before. His box kicking has improved, his ball service (getting the ball out of the ruck) has improved, his pass has improved. There is a complicated halfback dynamic/pecking order between Pienaar, Marshall, Jackson, O'Connor and Wallace but I hope Marshall gets his games.

Gilroy: The boy is going to be huge. He is everything anyone needs in a winger. He counters beautifully with agility, balance and most importantly vision. He is solid and rarely falls off tackles and we saw him bounce Howlett which is no mean feat. I truly believe he should be wearing green even from the bench before the year is out. Ulster looking like they have a very dangerous back 3 this year when you add in Bowe, Trimble, Payne, Darcy and more recently Allen.

Others that I've been impressed by:
O'Connor (Con)
J. McGrath (Lein)
Toner (Lein)
Avuav'a (Lein)
Cooney (Lein)
Sherry (Mun)
Downey (Mun)
Jackson (Uls)
L. Marshall (Uls)
Allen (Uls)
Payne (Uls)

Pete's Pick of the Proud Provinces:

Black-Cronin-Hagan
DOC-Stevenson
McCarthy-Avuav'a-O'Connor
Marshall-Madigan
Marshall-Griffin
O'Dea-Keatley-Gilroy

Back to top Go down

Pete's Pick of the Proud Provinces Empty Re: Pete's Pick of the Proud Provinces

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Sep 2012, 12:35 pm

I can't believe Sean Dougall has not got a mention.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 18 Sep 2012, 12:41 pm

That could be down to my ignorance Stag to be honest I've actually seen less Munster than the other provinces. I was surprised that only 1 backrow got in to the list.

From what I have seen he looks tough as nails and has that rabid aggressive streak about him.

Is there anyone else you'd add in Stag?

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Sep 2012, 12:45 pm

From Munster?

I'd definitely have Ian Keatley, James Downey, Luke O'Dea and Sean Dougall as my Munster picks with Casey Laulala and Doug Howlett just behind them.

Im surprised to see O'Callaghan in there I have to say. He has been ok but not amazing. He has done ok but nowhere near as big an influence as the others have been.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Sep 2012, 12:51 pm

From Ulster I think that Jarred Payne has been excellent also. Against both Glasgow and Munster he was superb.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 18 Sep 2012, 12:54 pm

Yeah I put him down there too in the others, not sure I wanted to start an IQ argument. He has been very good though. Hurley as well has been pretty good too. I could also add Jennings who has been the most consistent player Leinster have had this season

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Sep 2012, 12:59 pm

Ah I see its an IQ thread. Hadn't read that too. Don't think Hurley has been as good as he could be.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:04 pm

Funny you mention Sean Dougall. The unfortunate thing about twitter is you see a record of the last thing everyone was doing before tragedy hit. It would seem that Sean and Nevin had lunch together on Saturday just hours before his death. Seems Nevin was giving him grief about his sin binning the night before.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:10 pm

If Diack hadn't gotten injured, he might have been in with a shout for an Ulster mention, I feel. He started this season with a very impressive bang.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:11 pm

Scary stuff Clive.
I thought that sin binning was quite silly I'm not sure if the steal was deliberately illegal to stop the move or if he genuinely didn't know he was doing something illegal. Either way it wasn't very subtle or in anyway close to being legal.

Clive would you have any other guys on that list?
Stag what you guys think of Downey down there? Keatley impressing you too?

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:17 pm

I agree with Don there, Diack got injured just in time to save Anscombe from a difficult selection headache! Thought Doyle dropped in form a little versus Munster after a reasonably good first few games. Herring has been a solid enough player.

I find it hard to praise Luke Marshall simply because we hvnt seen him in an overly attacking backline yet. Munster was a fair improvement. But I dont think we have seen any magical midfield breaks yet this season like we have seen in the past with Paddy Wallace in there.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:26 pm

For such a small guy (he will grow) he was doing very well in the contact situations against Munster at times and his step may not beat guys but will buy him yards in contact. I like Marshall a lot I gotta say.

He was always busy too, hitting rucks and running option lines, overall I thought he had a very good game against Munster

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:40 pm

I was impressed by Downey against Ulster, Laulua was the bigger threat though.

Luke Marshall has had an excellent start to the season. Allen has been really good too.

If Payne counts then he'd by my first name on the list. Brilliant against Munster.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:52 pm

Really like O'Dea, havent seen much of Munster this season but he was really impressive before his in injury in the Ulster game and even last season he looked a real livewire. But its more than that he seems a solid player in defence as well. He reminds me a bit of gilroy.

Paul Marshall seems much more assured than usual, havent seen many silly decision making so far.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:54 pm

I think Paul Marshall box kicks to often, but I can't really single him out for this, it sames to be a trait of most Irish scrum halves.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:55 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote: He was always busy too, hitting rucks and running option lines, overall I thought he had a very good game against Munster

Agreed - one of the things that has impressed me most is his work-rate. I think we'll see more creativity as Jackson beds in.

Weird to be talking about normal Ulster rugby things again...

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:57 pm

Golden wrote:Really like O'Dea, havent seen much of Munster this season but he was really impressive before his in injury in the Ulster game and even last season he looked a real livewire. But its more than that he seems a solid player in defence as well. He reminds me a bit of gilroy.

Paul Marshall seems much more assured than usual, havent seen many silly decision making so far.

Totally agree Golden. O'Dea's try the week before last was an absolute peach, really enjoyed seeing him score it. And yeah he seems to have all the basics nailed down rock solid. He could be a really exciting prospect. Munster seem to have a huge collection of backs at this stage with lots of options.

Agree re: Marshall too, he looks to have calmed down a bit. He isn't constantly looking for the break or the quick tap penalty but yet when it's on he still is sharp and willing to go for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Sep 2012, 2:04 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Stag what you guys think of Downey down there? Keatley impressing you too?

I think that Downey has done very well since arriving bringing not just go-forward ball but an offloading game and a desire to prove himself.

Keatley has done really well and Id like to think will establish himself as first choice.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 18 Sep 2012, 2:12 pm

red_stag wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Stag what you guys think of Downey down there? Keatley impressing you too?

I think that Downey has done very well since arriving bringing not just go-forward ball but an offloading game and a desire to prove himself.

Keatley has done really well and Id like to think will establish himself as first choice.

That is the bit I have noticed most and was most surprised about because I hadn't seen him use it much. He has looked pretty good to me. His offload a few weeks ago to Howlett, it ended up being a score was pretty tasty I thought. You guys have very good centres now IMO

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Sep 2012, 2:18 pm

Not only that but our young centre combination of JJ Harnahan and Danny Barnes appears to be doing well. The pair had a great match together against Ulster A.

My gut feeling is that they will start against Dragons this weekend.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 18 Sep 2012, 2:32 pm

Didn't JJ end up at 10 and steal the show?
Yeah you guys have done well over the last year or so now in buying/training in good backs

Murray-Williams-Stringer
ROG-Keatley-JJ
Earls-Zebo
Downey-Murphy
Lualala-Barnes
Howlett-O'Dea
Hurley-Jones

That depth is pretty damn good me thinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content