The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Davey Moore - "Nobody up there likes me"!!!...a tribute!

+2
owen10ozzy
TRUSSMAN66
6 posters

Go down

Davey Moore - "Nobody up there likes me"!!!...a tribute! Empty Davey Moore - "Nobody up there likes me"!!!...a tribute!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 08 Sep 2012, 4:25 pm

Davey Moore.....Handsome with a million dollar smile... can still see him now in his early days.....Gifted boxer with mass appeal and no shortage of female followers he was rushed far too quickly basically winning the 154 title after a handful of fights.....snapped up by Arum who seeing the kid's charisma and somewhat exciting style saw a... weak oriental ....holding the belt and dived in almost Warren-like!!!

The world title was the beginning of the line for Davey......Think he defended it twice against lacking opposition that taught him nothing new!!!...before we were all getting ready for the mouth watering Moore-Ayala fight!!! (That would've been a classic)

My brother picked Tony but I picked Davey...My brother generally called more right...B*****d!!

However Ayala disappeared and Roberto Duran was the name to catapult him into the national scene!!!

Certainly expected him to beat Roberto, but it still rankles the way he was manhandled and abused!! and there is credence to the opinion he was fighting with one eye from the first round onwards....

Davey was basically finished that night but showed he was more than a "matinee idol" by showing huge pride, guts and heart by trying to overcome a severe and then senseless beating having no help from his corner or the referee who should have been banned for life...

From spotlight to streetlight...Moore a la rosario-chavez never truly recoved from the severe beating....dropped by Top rank... although he battled gamely on......dominating IBF titlist Drayton before running out of steam....."I never got my second wind" became a common excuse...

After that became the usual midst of turbulent relationships, false revivals......money troubles and other strifes...although he never lost his sharp wit and million dollar smile..A fan's fighter..

All culminating in his tragic death trying to stop his car rolling away down his drive and getting trapped between the wheels!!

Davey shows just how much luck plays a part in life....timing is everything...and this guy deserved more luck than he got!!!

Nobody up there might have liked you Davey.....but I did and I'm giving you the heads up you deservedMate!!

Whilst some on here who never saw you fight anybody but Drayton and Duran... and thought what's the big deal??

Some of us knew and we'll keep the secret!!!!

keep grinning........wherever you are!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Davey Moore - "Nobody up there likes me"!!!...a tribute! Empty Re: Davey Moore - "Nobody up there likes me"!!!...a tribute!

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 08 Sep 2012, 4:35 pm

Nice little tribute Truss....

Strangely not the only Davey Moore whose demise was far to early!!

Seemingly someone up their doesn't like the name too much.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Davey Moore - "Nobody up there likes me"!!!...a tribute! Empty Re: Davey Moore - "Nobody up there likes me"!!!...a tribute!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 08 Sep 2012, 5:42 pm

I think you're right........30 yrs old I believe tragic..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 08 Sep 2012, 6:04 pm

A brutal demonstration of the dark arts by Duran against a fighter who was far too much of a novice to have been in the ring with him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 08 Sep 2012, 7:24 pm

Duran brutalised him from piller to post in the greatest desplay of glorified bar brawling I have seen. Moore was battered all night, and showed real guts to get up after being piledrived to the floor in brutalising, murderous,unrelenting,unforgiving, fashion.

The art of the beat down

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 09 Sep 2012, 6:09 pm

Brutal demonstration????

I'm sure Davey would have landed a glove on Hearns though!!

Duran...Too much of a novice too huh...

Davey took a beating...Duran was humilated!!!!!!

Now get lost...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 09 Sep 2012, 8:52 pm

Not sure what relevance the Hearns fight has to this discussion, Duran had too much experience, power, strength and know how for the very inexperience Moore. The trick to fighting dirty is getting away with it, it's always happened and always will so no point get hung up on Duran doing it.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:20 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Not sure what relevance the Hearns fight has to this discussion, Duran had too much experience, power, strength and know how for the very inexperience Moore. The trick to fighting dirty is getting away with it, it's always happened and always will so no point get hung up on Duran doing it.

Not sure of the relevance? It's a Truss thread where Duran has been mentioned.....surely a foregone conclusion?!

Interesting OP tho, didn't know of him but going to go have a read-up now.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:11 am

Good article, Truss. In 'Hands of Stone' by Christian Guidice there is a section which tells of an interview done with Moore a few years after the fight with Duran. Apparently, the only thing Davey could bring himself to muster when asked about it was "Oh man, that fight broke my heart."

Chilling performance from Duran, but absolutely disgraceful refereeing, as the article alludes to. Right up there with Williams-Jack, Jones-Hall and Maccarinelli-Fenkel as some of the most atrocious officiating ever seen.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down