The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pat Gilroy resigns

5 posters

Go down

Pat Gilroy resigns Empty Pat Gilroy resigns

Post by Cari Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:04 pm

It's been announced this evening that Dubs football manager Pat Gilroy has resigned from his post after four years:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2012/0905/336467-pat-gilroy-resigns-from-dublin-positon/

Well I suppose that was an inevitability following Sunday's defeat. Wonder what'll happen to the Dubs now? Any thoughts?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Pat Gilroy resigns Empty Re: Pat Gilroy resigns

Post by Thomond Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:09 pm

Fingers crossed Counihan follows him out the door. Dubs will be there or thereabouts, I think the lack the top quality socrers most counties do.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:15 pm

I think it's a bit of a shame to be honest T. It's not entirely his fault they lost on Sunday; but as usual with these things, the coach is usually the first to cop it. Maybe it'll shake the lads up a bit for next year - but that could make things worse before they get better. Rolling Eyes

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:20 pm

He did it of his own choice, in his case I think he struggled to find decent forwards. Alan Brogan was crocked BB has been shoite and McMenamin was on the bench surprisingly. Dublin struggle for scorers at the best of times, Sunday they had none.

He deserves less blame than Counihan for example. He has helped make that Dub side one of the better sides out there.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:22 pm

Well, Pat went by choice, but I suspect he wanted to jump before being pushed...

No news on Counihan yet then?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:01 pm

Nope unfortunately I fear he is here to stay. Gilroy was a main component in making that Dub side. Cork were already a decent side before Counihan.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Thu 06 Sep 2012, 5:58 pm

I think je jumped before being pushed too. Couldn't reproduce the form of last year, either individually or collectively. Bernard was average by his standards and Alan injured. Cluxton as 4th top scorer is a shocker. Too many forwards not doing their primary job - score.

And then there's Eoin O'Gara!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sat 08 Sep 2012, 10:18 pm

The Boss wrote:I think je jumped before being pushed too. Couldn't reproduce the form of last year, either individually or collectively. Bernard was average by his standards and Alan injured. Cluxton as 4th top scorer is a shocker. Too many forwards not doing their primary job - score.

And then there's Eoin O'Gara!

Why would Gilroy have been "pushed"??

He's a wonderful manager.....................Cluxton is 4th top scorer because he takes all the 40 yard plus frees and is IMO the BEST EVER long distance free taker....................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Sun 09 Sep 2012, 3:45 am

Because Dublin is a high pressure high stakes job. They demand success and it wasn't deluvered. They had a distinctly average season and no matter how good a free tajer Cluxton is it is embarassing for a keeper to score more than half a starting forwrd line.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 09 Sep 2012, 7:27 am

John - I don't think it's anything to do with Gilroy as a manager, but the expectations for Dublin were high, and the team didn't deliver (for whatever reason) and the finger of blame was pointed at the coach/manager. I think there was some inevitability about his resignation, and I really think he would've been asked to go anyway had he stayed on. Maybe he did go of his own choice because he felt he'd let the team down, but like I said, I think he would've been told to go had he not.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 09 Sep 2012, 8:14 am

The Boss wrote:Because Dublin is a high pressure high stakes job. They demand success and it wasn't deluvered. They had a distinctly average season and no matter how good a free tajer Cluxton is it is embarassing for a keeper to score more than half a starting forwrd line.

There are about 10 teams who "demand success" and Gilroy has delivered success.
Using the brilliance of Cluxton to point to percieved weaknesses in the half forward time is lazy analysis.............Alan Brogan was the player of the year last year and Paul Flynn has turned into a fantastic leader and is also a good score getter.....................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 09 Sep 2012, 8:17 am

Cari wrote:John - I don't think it's anything to do with Gilroy as a manager, but the expectations for Dublin were high, and the team didn't deliver (for whatever reason) and the finger of blame was pointed at the coach/manager. I think there was some inevitability about his resignation, and I really think he would've been asked to go anyway had he stayed on. Maybe he did go of his own choice because he felt he'd let the team down, but like I said, I think he would've been told to go had he not.

Dont think the County board would have told him to go at all..........................a Leinster Championship and getting to a semi IS A SUCCESSFUL YEAR for Dublin................im unsure as to why one all ireland win has made Dublin Fans thing they are Kerry!!

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Sun 09 Sep 2012, 10:25 am

I'm unsure as well, seeing I'm from Armagh our standards have been suitably lowered. The vibe I got from Dublin fans has been that they are expecting all-Ireland success. I was at the Meath game and the team just looked turgid. I don't think it was right for Gilroy to go but Dublin scraped to the semi-final playing poorly.

Lazy analysis? Maybe I was wrong in saying that it was embarrassing for Cluxton to be their 4th top scorer but the point remains that other than Bernard, who had a soso year, the forwards didn't perform their primary job. Connolly seemed intent on starting rows rather than play football. Alan being injured seemed tothrow their game. Flynn and Cullen are very good footballers but don't chip in with enough scores and MD Mc Cauley I just don't see as a forward. Mc Menemin seems to be thought of as an impact sub and when Bernard has an off day then its very hard for them to break any delph.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 09 Sep 2012, 10:48 am

Dublin's year was a typical example of what happens to a lot of teams who win unexpected AI's....................Kilkenny have the secret on how to overcome success and push on..............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 09 Sep 2012, 11:21 am

He overachieved with a decent but not too stellar Dublin side, their style was what got them to the AI as much as the players. They lack scorers and it hurt them, this season.

A decent side but have overachieved, now I'm expecting someone to say something about Cork and that...

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Sun 09 Sep 2012, 12:25 pm

John Cregan wrote:Dublin's year was a typical example of what happens to a lot of teams who win unexpected AI's....................Kilkenny have the secret on how to overcome success and push on..............

I think you have a good point there. Cork, Tipp and Dublin have not been able to replicate their success, whereas for KK, one success is just the driving force for further success. Seems like win everything is KK's mantra, from charity games, to challenge games, to league games and the championship takes care of itself.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 09 Sep 2012, 3:21 pm

Is anyone backing galway in the hurling final today by any chance? I'd love to see them win it just for a change...Meanwhile the Dubs have to meet Tipp again because they drew in the Minis final.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down