The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Novak's View On Friends And Rivals

+4
bogbrush
coolpixel
HM Murdock
hawkeye
8 posters

Go down

Novak's View On Friends And Rivals Empty Novak's View On Friends And Rivals

Post by hawkeye Tue 04 Sep 2012, 8:01 am

Tennis is a tough sport and not only for the physical and mental qualities that it demands. Players spend a lot of time in close proximity to their rivals. Back in the day it was acceptable to keep your distance, make snarky put down comments in interviews and even aim a tennis ball where it would most hurt your rival. Not so now. Federer and Nadal with their toughest of rivalries on the court combined with their great respect for each other and friendship off the court have changed the rules. As top dogs everyone goes out of their way to emulate them. But this is not always easy. Djokovic has this to say about his rivalry with Roddick.

Q. We live in a small world. You had some really nice things to say about Andy last press conference. There was that situation a few years ago back and forth. How did you come to resolve that with Andy? I assume you worked something out.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, yeah. We had that situation. I think it was in 2008, US Open. We might have been through some misunderstandings and arguments. It was very emotional I think for both of us, playing against each other quarterfinals, and it's a very important tournament. So it happens, you know. You learn from those experiences. You know, we have been in a very good relationship ever since. And even before that. It's just that period, you know, that situation. It happens. You know, he was actually one of the few top players that was very nice to me when I started playing professionally. He has all my respect.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2012-09-02/201209021346609886937.html

I'm curious about how he says Roddick was one of the few top players to be nice to him at the beginning of his career. I've always had the sense that Djokovic has had to work very hard to gain the repect of Federer and Nadal. I still don't think he's gained admittance to their own special top dog club.

Djokovic is then asked if it is difficult to be friends with a rival

Q. When you came into the sport, did you expect to be on such good terms with your closest rivals? I mean, the top 4, you always seem to get on pretty well. You work together well. It must be very difficult because you're real competitors, aren't you?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, that's true, you know. The tennis represents something very good in the sport. I think in general if you look at the other sports, not many sports can say that they have their toughest and biggest rivals paying so much respect and appreciations to others. I mean, that's a very strong message that we are sending from men's tennis. It's really important. It's really good. I have learned a lot, you know, from my biggest rivals on and off the court. Nadal and Federer, they're big champions. We always had lots of respect with each other, to each other. Of course we are rivals and we want to win against each other and we are always playing lots of matches for major titles, but in the end it's only a sport. It's only a game. You need to always appreciate your opponent.

In tennis today you not only need to try and beat your opponent. The rules have changed and now you need to appreciate your opponent also... especially if their name is Roger or Rafa. But maybe what you really want is for them to appreciate you? They perhaps are the ultimate top dogs...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Novak's View On Friends And Rivals Empty Re: Novak's View On Friends And Rivals

Post by HM Murdock Tue 04 Sep 2012, 8:58 am

The relationship between the top players is something I find intriguing.

I actually think Novak does have the respect of both Roger and Rafa. In Rafa's book, there are a number of passages where he goes out of his way to praise Novak (and remember the book was written before Novak hit his top 2011). There is one in particular that sticks in my mind. I think it was after Wimbledon 2008, Rafa was on a plane and a man asked him if anyone apart from Federer can challenge him. Rafa immediately answered "Novak Djokovic".

And this caught me eye from Fed at Wimbledon:

Q. What is the personal relationship like given a few years ago you made some forceful comments about him (Djokovic) from Davis Cup?
ROGER FEDERER: No. I thought that was more brought up by you guys. Not that you guys are to blame, but you guys like to put something between the top players.
I was just upset at him calling the trainer out for no obvious reason against my buddy, Stan, in a five‑setter. That was it. We had a quick chat about it in Madrid after that, and things are cool since a long time between me and him. I've always respected him. Have I gone out for dinner with him? No.
But had many meetings with him at the council, and then now with the Grand Slams. He's been nice to work with. You know, we've met on several occasions because of other things together.
Yeah, I have no issues with him, and I hope you believe me.

Among the top 4 guys, there are two relationships that I believe have more respect in one direction than the other.

Murray - Nadal. I always get the impression that Andy is in awe of Rafa. It's as if he is grateful that Rafa likes him. Rafa clearly respects and likes Andy too but it doesn't seem on quite the same level.

Murray - Djokovic. The impression I get here is that Murray seems slightly peeved at the greater level of public respect Djokvic gets. It sometimes seems like he's willing to accept the kudos Roger and Rafa get because they have won so much for so long, but it slightly riles him that Djokovic gets grouped with them too.

Novak always makes a point of praising Andy in interviews but Andy's praise of Novak is way more measured. He seems much cooler about the relationship.

I'm probably reading way too much into things but I guess that's a by-product of thinking about tennis way too much!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:25 am

Friendship is the most misused word when it comes to describing player relationships.

Friendship means spending time in social situations not because of work or marketing commitments.

Federer and Nadal are not friends and never will be. Neither will any top 10 player be with any other top 10 player.

You just cannot have be a friend to someone who you are constantly looking to beat. Not if your livelihood depends on it.

Yes on the amateur / social level you can play with friends and sometimes they beat you and sometimes you beat them. But you remain friends because it is not a full time job for you. The moment it becomes a full time job the dynamics change.

I wish people stopped using this word friends!

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:28 am

I suspect they don't have too many personal problems but spend too much time trying to stuff each other to be true friends. Maybe after they retire they will pally up, bit like you see many retirees.

I have business rivals who I respect and have no particular personal problems with, but there's no way I'm going to be friends with them.

Edit: Het coolpixel, looks like we said the same thing at the same time.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:33 am

coolpixel + bb - I'm pretty much with you both on this, and specifically re the post-retirement factor

The Federer family have spent time at the home of Pete Sampras, and are apparently in regular social contact. Indeed Pete has described Roger and himself as 'good friends'

You can bet your bottom dollar that this wouldn't have happened whilst Pete was still playing on the tour .......

Last edited by lags72 on Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : omission)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:43 am

The right word in cases like this 'Aquaitance'

These guys are not what I call friends, they have more of a mutual respect.

Murray - Nadal. I always get the impression that Andy is in awe of Rafa. It's as if he is grateful that Rafa likes him. Rafa clearly respects and likes Andy too but it doesn't seem on quite the same level.

Murray - Djokovic. The impression I get here is that Murray seems slightly peeved at the greater level of public respect Djokvic gets. It sometimes seems like he's willing to accept the kudos Roger and Rafa get because they have won so much for so long, but it slightly riles him that Djokovic gets grouped with them too.

I find these comments so wide off the mark.

Andy and Rafa have a very respecful relations to each other. Clearly they have a common bond in both playing in Spain. This is something Andy has touched on in past interviews.

As for the Novak thing. Did he not ask Andy to be his best man at his wedding? If he was irked by Novak's popularity I doubt he would've taken up the mantle of being his best man.

Last edited by legendkillarV2 on Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:44 am

coolpixel wrote:Federer and Nadal are not friends and never will be. Neither will any top 10 player be with any other top 10 player.
Djokovic and Tipsarevic go on holiday together!

But generally I think you are right. Also, players spend so long away from home and family, I would imagine that the last people they want to spend their social time with are the players they see on tour!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:50 am

I have no clue whether Djokovic and Tipsaveric really go on holiday together or that is just a story fabricated for media by marketing.

However have you noted the difference in ranking between the two? Tipsaveric is absolutely NO THREAT to Djokovic and hence they share a social relationship, it that is true.

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:51 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:
Andy and Rafa have a very respecful relations to each other. Clearly they a common bond in both playing in Spain. This is something Andy has touched on in past interviews.
Never said they didn't have respectful relationships! But I don't recall ever seeing Rafa tell the media of pranks and conversations he has had with Andy. But the normally rather guarded Mr Murray has on a number of occasions told of his friendship with Rafa.

legendkillarV2 wrote:
As for the Novak thing. Did he not ask Andy to be his best man at his wedding? If he was irked by Novak's popularity I doubt he would've taken up the mantle of being his best man.
No he didn't! This was a strange rumour that started and nobody knew where it came from.
http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-10-15/8099.php

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:53 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:As for the Novak thing. Did he not ask Andy to be his best man at his wedding? If he was irked by Novak's popularity I doubt he would've taken up the mantle of being his best man.

Equally, it's unlikely Novak would ask anyone other than a genuine friend to be his best man.

Edit - Oh, it's not true? Ignore me.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:58 am

coolpixel wrote:I have no clue whether Djokovic and Tipsaveric really go on holiday together or that is just a story fabricated for media by marketing.
They fabricated a story that they go on holiday together? To what end?!
Tipsarevic joked about it in his on court interview after beating Djoko at the last WTF. They went to the Maldives

coolpixel wrote:However have you noted the difference in ranking between the two? Tipsaveric is absolutely NO THREAT to Djokovic and hence they share a social relationship, it that is true.
Yes, I have. Djoko is 2, Tipsarevic is 9. Therefore they are both top ten. You set the criterion, not me.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:01 am

HM Murdoch wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
Andy and Rafa have a very respecful relations to each other. Clearly they a common bond in both playing in Spain. This is something Andy has touched on in past interviews.
Never said they didn't have respectful relationships! But I don't recall ever seeing Rafa tell the media of pranks and conversations he has had with Andy. But the normally rather guarded Mr Murray has on a number of occasions told of his friendship with Rafa.

Hmmmm Headscratch

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/9360341/Wimbledon-2012-Andy-Murray-vows-to-get-revenge-on-Rafa-Nadal.html

legendkillarV2 wrote:
No he didn't! This was a strange rumour that started and nobody knew where it came from.
http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-10-15/8099.php

Possibly Novak? Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:04 am

Also much is made of Murray playing in Spain and that fact creating a bond with Nadal and other Spanish players.

I frankly do not understand what bond that might have created. It's just yer another way of fabricating a relationship when none exists.

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:08 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2170261/Wimbledon-2012-The-day-Rafa-Nadal-set-Andy-Murray-road-stardom.html

Surely that didn't happen....

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:14 am

I said I have no clue. Tips is 9 . Is he really a threat to Djokovic?

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:15 am

HM Murdoch wrote:Never said they didn't have respectful relationships! But I don't recall ever seeing Rafa tell the media of pranks and conversations he has had with Andy. But the normally rather guarded Mr Murray has on a number of occasions told of his friendship with Rafa.

legendkillarV2 wrote:
Hmmmm Headscratch
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/9360341/Wimbledon-2012-Andy-Murray-vows-to-get-revenge-on-Rafa-Nadal.html
This backs up my point doesn't it? i.e. Andy telling the media of his friendship with Rafa?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:20 am

HM Murdoch wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:Never said they didn't have respectful relationships! But I don't recall ever seeing Rafa tell the media of pranks and conversations he has had with Andy. But the normally rather guarded Mr Murray has on a number of occasions told of his friendship with Rafa.

legendkillarV2 wrote:
Hmmmm Headscratch
This backs up my point doesn't it? i.e. Andy telling the media of his friendship with Rafa?

Well clearly Rafa had told some other players as Nalbandian tried to play the same prank.

Why does it need to come to media light to have any substance given that it happened in at the US Open 2011 and only came to light at Wimbledon 2012.

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:22 am

LK yes but what is that bond exactly? They met Nadal gave advise, Murray took it. Has it translated to a deep abiding friendship , late night calls, BBQs, holidays etc?

I still don't get it what people mean when they use th word bond. What does that mean exactly?

You and I post on the same message board.do we have a bond?

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:26 am

coolpixel wrote:I said I have no clue. Tips is 9 . Is he really a threat to Djokovic?
Not a significant threat, no. I don't really know why this point is being laboured. You said:
Federer and Nadal are not friends and never will be. Neither will any top 10 player be with any other top 10 player.
So I gave an example of two top ten players who are friends.

If you want to change this to "players who are a threat to each other can't be friends", fine, I agree with you. In fact, as a general principle, I agreed with your top ten comment too but thought it worth highlighting the exception to the rule. I'm starting to wish I hadn't bothered!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:27 am

HM Murdoch wrote: Have I gone out for dinner with him? No.

Laugh Federer does hang out with Chiudinelli and Allegro, but very rarely with Wawrinka.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:28 am

How shall I put it. Bond is something of sharing is it not? He met Nadal whilst training in Spain. Clearly they are not strangers to each other. Nadal was training in Barcelona when Murray was too. Anyone who has played sport will understand that some times even opponents on court/pitch whatever terrain can develop relations. Not un-common or fabrication.

Yes you and me post on the board, though we have never met. Though our bond/common ground would be the forum non? Unless of course we have the same wallpaper.

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:45 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:
Well clearly Rafa had told some other players as Nalbandian tried to play the same prank.
Why does it need to come to media light to have any substance given that it happened in at the US Open 2011 and only came to light at Wimbledon 2012.
I don't know what's going on on this forum this morning.

I said:
I don't recall ever seeing Rafa tell the media of pranks and conversations he has had with Andy. But the normally rather guarded Mr Murray has on a number of occasions told of his friendship with Rafa.
You then counter this point by giving an example of exactly the kind of thing I was talking about.

And now the counter point is that it doesn't need to be in the media to have substance, which isn't what I said either?! Headscratch

My point is that I think Andy is keen for people to know he gets on with Rafa. I have not, however, seen or heard Rafa act in a similar way toward Andy. I don't think this is a radical opinion and, if there is evidence of Rafa acting like this, I will revise my view.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:45 am

One example that sticks in my mind is the contrast between the USO 2009 final between Del Potro and Federer vs the Olympic SF. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:53 am

HM Murdoch wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
I don't know what's going on on this forum this morning.

I said:
I don't recall ever seeing Rafa tell the media of pranks and conversations he has had with Andy. But the normally rather guarded Mr Murray has on a number of occasions told of his friendship with Rafa.
You then counter this point by giving an example of exactly the kind of thing I was talking about.

And now the counter point is that it doesn't need to be in the media to have substance, which isn't what I said either?! Headscratch

My point is that I think Andy is keen for people to know he gets on with Rafa. I have not, however, seen or heard Rafa act in a similar way toward Andy. I don't think this is a radical opinion and, if there is evidence of Rafa acting like this, I will revise my view.

🤦

So because Rafa doesn't go to the press means they are not friends?

Andy is honest and open about his 'friendship' with Nadal. Just because Nadal doesn't speak so openly doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I mean jeez for him to have Andy's number would suggest there is an element of trust and respect.

I am amazed that posters forget just how long a tennis season is and the fact they see each other so frequently at tournaments would possibly make it difficult to sustain a friendship outside of their 'workplace'

As for the Tipsy/Djokovic thing I did come across a picture the ATP uploaded via facebook which had Tipsy and Novak sharing a few drinks with their respective teams. Not sure how many top players would share their locker rooms with other players.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 04 Sep 2012, 11:06 am

Soon we'll be hearing how they both get funky to Dirty Dancing in the players council...
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down