The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Final Thread-Time for a good ol Rogering? Novaks Roger... Im OK (its mine!)

+20
It Must Be Love
theslosty
mthierry
Born Slippy
JuliusHMarx
CAS
Calder106
TRuffin
rogerpenrose
slashermcguirk
Henman Bill
summerblues
kemet
ZZ
CaledonianCraig
LuvSports!
bogbrush
banbrotam
greengoblin
temporary21
24 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The Final Thread-Time for a good ol Rogering? Novaks Roger... Im OK (its mine!) Empty The Final Thread-Time for a good ol Rogering? Novaks Roger... Im OK (its mine!)

Post by temporary21 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 3:51 pm

lets get ready to rumblllllleeeeee!!!!

dododododododo
dododoDODODODO!....

temporary21

Back to top Go down

The Final Thread-Time for a good ol Rogering? Novaks Roger... Im OK (its mine!) Empty Re: The Final Thread-Time for a good ol Rogering? Novaks Roger... Im OK (its mine!)

Post by greengoblin Sun 13 Sep 2015, 4:38 pm

Hope the real fed shows up. Not the pathetic capitulator that showed up in the wimby final.

greengoblin

Back to top Go down

The Final Thread-Time for a good ol Rogering? Novaks Roger... Im OK (its mine!) Empty Re: The Final Thread-Time for a good ol Rogering? Novaks Roger... Im OK (its mine!)

Post by banbrotam Sun 13 Sep 2015, 4:49 pm

Roger in four (I hope)

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 13 Sep 2015, 4:54 pm

greengoblin wrote:Hope the real fed shows up. Not the pathetic capitulator that showed up in the wimby final.

The Sunday conditions at the Wimby final, swung the game hugely in Novak's favour. Give Roger the Friday ones or Cincy and he's better at the moment

Problem is we only get these at about 10% of matches they play each other

And today, unfortunately, isn't one of those days - 'room temperature' is no good for Roger

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 13 Sep 2015, 5:09 pm

Dammit, the weather later in the week looks great too. Cloudy as well today.

Sad
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 13 Sep 2015, 5:21 pm

bogbrush wrote:Dammit, the weather later in the week looks great too. Cloudy as well today.

Sad

It's always the way with these two at a slam. So infuriating!. Give Roger those SF Wimby conditions that he caned Murray in and he'd have another slam

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 6:14 pm

1) We havent even started yet
2) Blaming conditions for the outcome of a match is a cop out to both guys

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 13 Sep 2015, 6:51 pm

temporary21 wrote:1) We havent even started yet
2) Blaming conditions for the outcome of a match is a cop out to both guys

Er;

1) I'm still favouring Fed in four
2) Conditions are a factor in virtually every Novak/Roger/Andy match during the last three years.

I realise that conditions are so similar everywhere these days Rolling Eyes that when someone mentions they might be a factor, we often get this reaction

Back in the 90's it was a prerequisite for a debate

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 13 Sep 2015, 6:55 pm

Hey, I've been careful on all posts to make clear I see Djokovic as favourite whatever, but if variances aren't with Roger it'll be more clear cut in my mind.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 6:56 pm

These two are the top professional tennis players in the world. Either can beat the other through skill and application in any condition, being a factor is one thing, writing off people or wins due to the weather conditions is a bit of a cop out, and an entirely other thing.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 13 Sep 2015, 6:57 pm

In a slam it is a different matter Temp. Fed needs everything going for him to win.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 13 Sep 2015, 7:03 pm

I don't really understand the argument. It goes like this, when the three play (assuming they are all fully fit and foused)

Slow to medium fast courts - Novak everytime. Normally Murray if when he plays Roger (of course we've never seen them on clay)

Indoors - Novak with Roger a close second. Murray, nowhere

Fast conditions - Roger followed by Andy (i.e. Wimbledon 13') followed by Novak

I'd go further and state that all of Andy's wins against Novak have been on the fastest surfaces they've faced in their matches. The exception been Shanghai in 2012

Of course if a player doesn't 'turn up' then the conditions are irrelevant

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 13 Sep 2015, 7:05 pm

LuvSports! wrote:In a slam it is a different matter Temp. Fed needs everything going for him to win.

If that is the case then either Novak is not given the credit he deserves or Roger is talked up too much. After all Roger is seen as GOAT by many and despite the fact he is 33 surely he should have the beating of a player so often painted as being no more than a player with big lungs and fitness.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 13 Sep 2015, 7:06 pm

temporary21 wrote:These two are the top professional tennis players in the world. Either can beat the other through skill and application in any condition, being a factor is one thing, writing off people or wins due to the weather conditions is a bit of a cop out, and an entirely other thing.

I agree until your last comment. But how can the conditions never be a factor? So if the ball's flying 5 mph faster, it makes no difference? Whistle

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 13 Sep 2015, 7:07 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
LuvSports! wrote:In a slam it is a different matter Temp. Fed needs everything going for him to win.

If that is the case then either Novak is not given the credit he deserves or Roger is talked up too much. After all Roger is seen as GOAT by many and despite the fact he is 33 surely he should have the beating of a player so often painted as being no more than a player with big lungs and fitness.

Laugh Laugh

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 13 Sep 2015, 7:13 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:

That he is 34, not 33, is the most trivial of matters I'd take you up on in this.

In brief, you seem to regard age as just a number. Actually it's shorthand for a whole mass of body changes, none of them good. It really matters nothing how good the player was. For example, you rate Rafa I presume? Will you be expecting great things from him in 5 years?

Oh, and Novak isn't dismissed that way, not that I've seen anyway.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 13 Sep 2015, 7:25 pm

bogbrush wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

That he is 34, not 33, is the most trivial of matters I'd take you up on in this.

In brief, you seem to regard age as just a number. Actually it's shorthand for a whole mass of body changes, none of them good. It really matters nothing how good the player was. For example, you rate Rafa I presume? Will you be expecting great things from him in 5 years?

Oh, and Novak isn't dismissed that way, not that I've seen anyway.

Oh he is. We keep hearing fitness and speed as if that is his only strengths. I don't think I've ever heard him being called one of the all-time great tennis players - certainly not on here. Roger is seen as GOAT and so he is 34 but slams have been won by players aged 30+ and this is the GOAT we are talking about here. I say sit back and enjoy the match and let the best man win without any buts or ifs at the end of it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ Sun 13 Sep 2015, 7:39 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:

lol goat. more like a sheep

ZZ

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ Sun 13 Sep 2015, 7:41 pm

ajde No1e

u can do it

ZZ

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 7:44 pm

banbrotam wrote:
temporary21 wrote:These two are the top professional tennis players in the world. Either can beat the other through skill and application in any condition, being a factor is one thing, writing off people or wins due to the weather conditions is a bit of a cop out, and an entirely other thing.

I agree until  your last comment. But how can the conditions never be a factor? So if the ball's flying 5 mph faster, it makes no difference?  Whistle

Of course it's associated. I'm not saying the weather has no merit of course it does. What I means is that's bandered about as though it's an all encompassing reason that roger/ Novak or whoever isn't able to win, which isn't true. If I came on complaining that the conditions were unfairly fast for Novak id be lambasted.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Sep 2015, 8:48 pm

Well Sky have told me what celebs to look out for.

Don't know how lost I would be without that information! Phew

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 8:49 pm

If there's no Kevin spacey then no sale

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Sep 2015, 8:51 pm

Well no new faces Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 13 Sep 2015, 8:52 pm

Kanye has to be there. He's a genius and running for president in 2020.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun 13 Sep 2015, 8:59 pm

What is it with the rain and the US Open final? Since 2008, the rain has always had a great part to play

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 13 Sep 2015, 9:00 pm

Good luck Roger.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 9:01 pm

Right, final in one side, salty bet on the other, dinner on. LETS GO!

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 13 Sep 2015, 9:02 pm

BTW, I do not think it is particularly cold in NYC. Accuweather shows cooler than most previous days, but not cooler than previous evenings.

Weather forecast for the afternoon not too bad - intermittent showers for a while and then clearing up. They should be able to comfortably finish today unless they are keen to postpone to tomorrow.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 9:06 pm

oh wait, its raining

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 13 Sep 2015, 9:07 pm

Yes it is. Hopefully it will stop quickly or else the match may be really late for those of you in the UK.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 9:09 pm

Its already late! Bloody half finished roof!

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 13 Sep 2015, 9:38 pm

It looks like the rain stopped and they are drying the court now.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 13 Sep 2015, 9:39 pm

rain eased mop up starting reports telegraph 5 minutes ago

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 13 Sep 2015, 9:40 pm

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/11368:4:US

so what's people's take on the implications of weather conditions on the matchup?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 13 Sep 2015, 9:44 pm

My take is that if Federer loses it is all due to extremely unfair conditions, and if he wins the conditions are fair for both.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ Sun 13 Sep 2015, 9:44 pm

Temp said were not allowed to talk about the weather

ZZ

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 9:46 pm

Oh dear. Noones said anything like that, i just dont think using it as a complete excuse feels right Doh

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 13 Sep 2015, 9:49 pm

Summer Blues, how much of a trip is it for you to get to New York? remember you live in the US, but don't rememnber wwhere exactly

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 9:55 pm

Henman Bill wrote:http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/11368:4:US

so what's people's take on the implications of weather conditions on the matchup?
Id say theres almost doubt theres an association with weather and the outcome but not a dominating effect at all. Both guys can beat the other in their less favourable condition.

What I disagree with is the idea that we can see the weather before and declare the winner, or more seriously, suggesting that the result was somehow lessened because different weather conditions would have reversed the outcome.

Id say its not giving the guys enough credit to overplay it that much, Federer is better in the sun yeah, but the notion he can only win in it I dont think is correct

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 13 Sep 2015, 10:00 pm

raining again (Telegraph 9.56). I'm off to mow the lawn.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 13 Sep 2015, 10:01 pm

well they have night matches here, so I suppose light is not an issue. I guess it will likely start and finish today.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ Sun 13 Sep 2015, 10:03 pm

well now not gonna start till 1130 at least. off to bed

ZZ

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 13 Sep 2015, 10:08 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Summer Blues, how much of a trip is it for you to get to New York? remember you live in the US, but don't rememnber wwhere exactly
I live quite close to NY - essentially in the suburbs. That is why it is not hard for me to make it to the USO pretty much every year.

But usually I do not go for the later rounds. The only final I saw live was the Fed vs Agassi one, but in general I prefer to watch the final rounds on TV, with the ability to see replay etc. Typically I go the middle weekend, mostly for the atmosphere.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 13 Sep 2015, 10:09 pm

Henman Bill wrote:well they have night matches here, so I suppose light is not an issue. I guess it will likely start and finish today.
I am almost sure they will finish today. The weather is supposed to clear up later in the evening.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sun 13 Sep 2015, 10:23 pm

Why don't they pull a cover over the court to save themselves from having to manually dry the court?? Bizarre

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 13 Sep 2015, 10:26 pm

Cos it's MMMMMuurrrriicccaaa!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun 13 Sep 2015, 10:32 pm

slashermcguirk wrote:Why don't they pull a cover over the court to save themselves from having to manually dry the court?? Bizarre

Makes no sense to me either

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 10:37 pm

Never have, never will. I iamgine those stupid hoovers are advertised or something...

still raining monkey

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerpenrose Sun 13 Sep 2015, 10:40 pm

temporary21 wrote:
Id say theres almost doubt theres an association with weather and the outcome but not a dominating effect at all. Both guys can beat the other in their less favourable condition.

What I disagree with is the idea that we can see the weather before and declare the winner, or more seriously, suggesting that the result was somehow lessened because different weather conditions would have reversed the outcome.

Id say its not giving the guys enough credit to overplay it that much, Federer is better in the sun yeah, but the notion he can only win in it I dont think is correct

I think I speak for everyone sane here when I say this:  Please take your head from out of your bum.

Thanks. thumbsup

rogerpenrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 13 Sep 2015, 10:43 pm

So there's a little rumour doing the rounds that Federer may be suffering with an injury. He arrived at Flushing Meadows reasonably early with his shoe laces undone and appearing to hobble slightly

copy and pasted verbatim from Telegraph

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next