The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newport Gwent Dragons v Zebre

+20
profitius
bedfordwelsh
wrfc1980
Shifty
gowales
asoreleftshoulder
Morgannwg
Artful_Dodger
munkian
maestegmafia
glamorganalun
LeinsterFan4life
Welshmushroom
ScarletSpiderman
LordDowlais
formerly known as Sam
Luckless Pedestrian
Stone Motif
youngguns6
Kingshu
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons v Zebre Empty Newport Gwent Dragons v Zebre

Post by Kingshu Wed 29 Aug 2012, 3:09 pm

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/14451.php

Preview: Newport Gwent Dragons v Zebre

Newport Gwent Dragons have lost in round one in three of the past four seasons, and concluded last season's RaboDirect PRO12 campaign with four straight defeats.

Dragons have a won 11, lost 4 record against Italian opponents in all competitions.

Zebre become the 24th different side to have participated in the tournament, which began as the Celtic League in season 2001/02.

At Rodney Parade, 7pm.
Referee: George Clancy ( IRFU, 48th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Neil Hennessy, Jason Langdon (both WRU)
Citing Commissioner: Ray Wilton (WRU)

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/14469.php

Dragons squad for Zebre

Dan Evans, Tom Prydie, Will Harries, Andy Tuilagi, Ashley Smith, Jack Dixon, Pat Leach, Lewis Robling, Steffan Jones, Wayne Evans, Jonathan Evans, Tom Brown, Toby Faletau, Hywel Stoddart, Dan Lydiate, Jevon Groves, Andrew Coombes, Adam Jones, Ian Nimmo, Dan Way, Nathan Buck, Nathan Williams, Phil Price, Hugh Gustafson, Sam Parry, Steve Jones.

Players not selected through injury;

Joe Bedford, Adam Hughes, Tonderai Chavhanga, Jamie Smith, Matthew Pewtner, Dan Watchurst, Darren Waters, Lewis Evans, Rob Sidoli

Here's the starting line-up of Zebre :

15 Sinoti SINOTI (FP)
14 Giovanbattista VENDITTI*
13 Roberto QUARTAROLI*
12 Gonzalo GARCIA (c)
11 Samuele PACE
10 Luciano ORQUERA
9 Tito TEBALDI

8 Filippo CRISTIANO
7 Andries VAN SCHALKWYK (FP)
6 Nicola CATTINA
5 Emiliano CAFFINI*
4 Quintin GELDENHUYS
3 David RYAN (FP)
2 Carlo FESTUCCIA
1 Salvatore PERUGINI

Replacements:

16 Davide GIAZZON
17 Andrea DE MARCHI
18 Luciano LEIBSON
19 Filippo CAZZOLA*
20 Filippo FERRARINI*
21 Alberto CHILLON*
22 Alberto CHIESA*
23 Ruggero TREVISAN*

Not considered due to injury : Mauro BERGAMASCO, Marco BORTOLAMI, Matteo PRATICHETTI, Josh SOLE, Michael VAN VUREN.

*Former member of the Italian Rugby Union (FIR) academy "Ivan Francescato" of Tirrenia

Well we'll get to see what Zebre are like.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons v Zebre Empty Re: Newport Gwent Dragons v Zebre

Post by Guest Wed 29 Aug 2012, 3:15 pm

Interesting not to see Tim Ryan in the squad, given he's a new signing. Pity about our captain being injured still too, though at least he will likely be back soon.

Looking forward to this though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 29 Aug 2012, 3:18 pm

I wonder why HALANGAHU isn't in the team or injuried list, I thought be'd be the main man in the backs?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Wed 29 Aug 2012, 3:34 pm

Good pack, we will have to work hard to give our backs decent ball. Weather will suit them (unless it's another random change to sunshine).

Not sure who's going to cover openside for us.
Will stoddart get the nod or will DE be tempted to move Danny n bring in Coombes?

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Aug 2012, 3:46 pm

Jevon Groves according to the Argus.

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Wed 29 Aug 2012, 4:46 pm

Hmm good prospect but not really a 7 is he? It puzzles me how nash hasn't made the step up.

Can't wait to get over there on Friday, the smell of BO mixed with urine and stale larger watching us struggle to beat the whipping boys of the league!

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Aug 2012, 6:17 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Interesting not to see Tim Ryan in the squad, given he's a new signing. Pity about our captain being injured still too, though at least he will likely be back soon.

Looking forward to this though.

Has he even played for us yet? Haven't heard a peep about him since he signed? Like someone else said, has he gone AWOL???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Aug 2012, 6:30 pm

George Clancy reffing? Can't recall seeing him at RP too much. Dragons had better not give him much of an excuse to ping them at the ruck, as he can be a bit whistle happy at times.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Aug 2012, 12:26 pm

Newport Gwent Dragons side for Zebre
Dan Evans, Will Harries, Pat Leach, Andy Tuilagi, Tom Prydie, Steffan Jones; Wayne Evans; Phil Price,
Steve Jones, Dan Way, Ian Nimmo, Andrew Coombes, Dan Lydiate, Jevon Groves, Toby Faletau

Replacements
Hugh Gustafson, Nathan Williams, Nathan Buck, Adam Jones, Tom Brown, Jonathan Evans, Lewis Robling, Ashley Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Thu 30 Aug 2012, 1:22 pm

Pretty much the best team we could field. Wasn't sure if ash would get the nod but I can't complain. Really buzzing to get over there tomorrow!

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu 30 Aug 2012, 1:34 pm

Fair do's, if Andy T remembers to put the superglue on his hands that is the most physical centre pairing I can remember for the Dragons in a long time.

Only disappointment is Jevon the Seven (he is not).
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 30 Aug 2012, 2:16 pm

No, he's not, but he has good hands so we're fielding a good footballing backrow who should link well with the backs if we can get enough ball.

It'll be interesting to see how Iestyn Thomas has got on with the front row, we had parity with London Irish as I recall it but they're seriously depleted in that area.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 30 Aug 2012, 2:36 pm

Zebre are missing some big names through injury Bergamasco especially. That's going to make adapting to the Rabo that bit tougher.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:14 pm

I have no clue at all about the Zebre side so I am going for a Dragons win, although if the fixture was reversed I would not be as confident.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:29 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Zebre are missing some big names through injury Bergamasco especially. That's going to make adapting to the Rabo that bit tougher.

There shouldn't be much addating required most of that Zebre side have been involved in the Rabo before, so I would not be too suprised if they look far more like a side that have been together for a few seasons (which really they are) than a new side playing their first competitive fixture.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:40 pm

Got to be a Dragons win. The inclusion of Falatau and Lydiate should be massive. Home crowd as well should be the 16th man.

Zebre's backline look good on paper but they have a fairly big weakness in the pack.

Fesstuccia aint the player he once was and in fairness is a little leightweight for Pro rugby in my opinion. With Dave Ryan at Tighthead that should see them come under a lot of pressure in the scrum.

Also Cristiano and Caffini will defnitly need big games. A lot of pressure on those pair. Granted I've not seen these before and they could be good but I expect their set piece to struggle if the Dragons have any sense. Also with Lydiate and Falatau in the backrow and Groves in there as well I totally expect us to dominate the contact area. That should neutralize their backline hopefully.

That said, game isnt wont on paper. Either way I'm excited for the season start Smile

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:50 pm

I wish it was on tv. Would love to see how zebre get on.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 30 Aug 2012, 6:09 pm

A bit of a suprise having the Ospreys playing away on live TV (BBC2W). Is this a plan to improve home crowds or is it me giving the WRU undeserved credit?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Aug 2012, 6:21 pm

Ah, I wondered about this, because when the tv fixtures were announced BBC2 Wales didn't have a game on the Friday, so I guess that was a late decision. I guess it's because they're champions, but at the minute the climate is also far more agreeable in Italy too (I imagine). I did wonder why Phil Steele mentioned flying out there, so now it all makes sense.

Might have done us a favour with a few more casuals turning up, but I'm not confident in having many there if the Terrace hasn't been announced as full yet. Hardly an inspiring fixture though is it.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 30 Aug 2012, 6:39 pm

That's not a bad Zebre side

Venditti is pretty handy out wide and there are a few rugged old school performers in there.

Dragons look handy. Not overly impressed with their centre selection.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Aug 2012, 6:51 pm

Pat Leach is being talked up a bit by the coaching staff (though he's probably not a 13) and Tuilagi looked like what we wanted when we signed him a fortnight ago, so we may be pleasantly surprised. Pity about Adam Hughes. If he was fit, it would put a whole different look to our back line (certainly make it a more natural fit anyway).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Aug 2012, 8:08 pm

Any news on Tim Ryan?

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 30 Aug 2012, 8:21 pm

We will miss Adam Hughes and Chav - though I guess Prydie and Harries are decent attacking runners. Hope Andy continues to improve
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 30 Aug 2012, 8:55 pm

Brought Harries into my fantasy team for a week for this match, lets hope he does the business Wink

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 30 Aug 2012, 10:56 pm

I think that could be our best back 3, unless Evans goes cold again and Dragons move Harries or Prydie to 15 and slot Chav back in. Are they good enough to make that back 3 work to the teams benefit?

Hughes was a wing, but I thought he was a wonderful attacking 13. I'd like to see him slot back in there. Also hoping for a big season from Jones at 10. Shame we couldn't get a big signing in this area though, it would have benefitted these two young fly-halves a lot.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:57 am

Morgannwg, I think Steffan Jones could really flourish with the pressure of goalkicking taken off him. Adam Hughes is quality at outside centre, probably one of our most important players, he's just fearless. And if he was fit, I'd have Chavhanga on the wing in place of Will Harries; it's like Jiffy says, 'numbers'. No, sorry, I mean 'there's no substitute for pace'. We just need to work him into space better than we did last season.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Fri 31 Aug 2012, 10:14 am

". Adam Hughes is quality at outside centre, probably one of our most important players, he's just fearless".
He really does do everything at full tilit doesn't he. Shane as leach isn't a natural 13 (why we don't have backup is beyond me) but still a solid player.

Steffan jones could be the one to watch this season. Very skilful, good kicking game and a good runner. He might find it hard behind our pack but he's a talented player. As for the back 3. Well I was very concerned loosing Brewy n Thomas but I'm really happy with Tom n Dan. Both can kick n Dan Evans's boot could make a huge differnt to Thomas who ran everything.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Fri 31 Aug 2012, 10:16 am

". Adam Hughes is quality at outside centre, probably one of our most important players, he's just fearless".
He really does do everything at full tilit doesn't he. Shane as leach isn't a natural 13 (why we don't have backup is beyond me) but still a solid player.

Steffan jones could be the one to watch this season. Very skilful, good kicking game and a good runner. He might find it hard behind our pack but he's a talented player. As for the back 3. Well I was very concerned loosing Brewy n Thomas but I'm really happy with Tom n Dan. Both can kick n Dan Evans's boot could make a huge differnt to Thomas who ran everything.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 31 Aug 2012, 10:21 am

It's true. You see some players slowing down as they're about to go into contact, but not him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 1:11 pm

Just down RP picking my season ticket up. One of the shop assistants is printing the numbers on the Zebre shirts. Hope we aren't as hospitable on the pitch later.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 31 Aug 2012, 1:18 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Just down RP picking my season ticket up. One of the shop assistants is printing the numbers on the Zebre shirts. Hope we aren't as hospitable on the pitch later.

Jesus look at you mr relaxed, i get really stressed if I haven't got mine before the first home friendly of the season.

If they are printing the Zebre numbers on the shirts does that mean that maybe there are some late changes to their side?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 1:21 pm

Nah, it was just numbers by the looks. No names. Maybe they're to follow.

It's just as I paid in installments. Silly really. So I had a printout for the Irish game.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 31 Aug 2012, 1:29 pm

glamorganalun wrote:A bit of a suprise having the Ospreys playing away on live TV (BBC2W). Is this a plan to improve home crowds or is it me giving the WRU undeserved credit?

Also rewards the fans who turn up to see their team play at home, as they can then see their team away on the tele box, but I think it is more just down to which would get more tv viewers the current champs against a team that are known for causing upsets (most likely being played ina warm sunny place) or the Dragons playing against a new side that nobody really knows (being played where it will most likely be nippy and probably damp).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 3:57 pm

Nippy and damp? I'm thinking about turning my shirt into a wife beater here. Blinking boiling mun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 4:04 pm

Only just noticed it, but what a great name Sinoti Sinoti is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:38 pm

27-3 to Dragons after 30mins. Ooosh!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:39 pm

Dragons winning 27-3. Tries by Tuilagi (struggled to finish it due to his pace mind), Harries and Dan Evans. DG by Steffan and pen by Prydie. We are playing pretty well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:39 pm

Clancy is a whistle happy git still though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:43 pm

BP before HT. Try Dan Evans again. 32-6 at HT

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:44 pm

It's gonna be a long season for Zebre.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:44 pm

Sounds like Dan Evs is having a good game then, glad to hear it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:49 pm

So much for Zebre being a competitive team

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:54 pm

Bah I was half and half about going to this but decided to watch tyhe Ospreys on tv instead! Whistle
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:03 pm

Shows what a joke it is that Zebre walked straight into the Heinekan Cup without not having to qualify but not even having had to play a game! I'm pleased the English and French are looking to shake up the terrible (non) qualification rules in the Rabbo league.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:06 pm

wrfc1980 wrote:Shows what a joke it is that Zebre walked straight into the Heinekan Cup without not having to qualify but not even having had to play a game! I'm pleased the English and French are looking to shake up the terrible (non) qualification rules in the Rabbo league.

I agree, but i doubt many other celtic supporters will...

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:10 pm

Well to be fair Aironi did lose 87-0 at home to Clermont last season at home. So maybe Zebre might stay under that! Whistle

Still the same score accoring to the Rabo website

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchdaylive/?mobile=0
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:54 pm

Yeah it was only 3-0 second half. We switched right off. Still a BP win is a BP win.

Clancy killed us. I don't think he penalised them much. How can a side winning by that much be committing so many offences? Not likely is it.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 31 Aug 2012, 9:12 pm

gowales wrote:
wrfc1980 wrote:Shows what a joke it is that Zebre walked straight into the Heinekan Cup without not having to qualify but not even having had to play a game! I'm pleased the English and French are looking to shake up the terrible (non) qualification rules in the Rabbo league.

I agree, but i doubt many other celtic supporters will...

I also agree and like Jiffy said on the Scrum V programme tonight until its just top 6 qualifiers then we will always get jibes against league. Unfortunately the Unions wont go for it.

I have said for sometime that the Amlin is our correct level but the profile and prestige is in the HC
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 31 Aug 2012, 10:28 pm

You can say that about most teams.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 11:17 pm

Didn't know Gatland was there tonight. He'd have been impressed by Dan and Jon Evans. Jon Evans deserves to keep his starting shirt now. He was so zippy around the park and great service too. Considering he can't have known he was starting till late, he sure took his chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next