The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership Captains

+5
Jimpy
formerly known as Sam
bluestonevedder
Jenifer McLadyboy
bathmad
9 posters

Go down

Aviva Premiership Captains Empty Aviva Premiership Captains

Post by bathmad Tue 28 Aug 2012, 1:30 pm

See link, what struck me the most is how few captains of premiership teams are backs!

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/22526/8023725/Premiership-preview

Interested to hear if anyone can think of any reasons for this...maybe the forward orientated style of play over the last decade or so?

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership Captains Empty Re: Aviva Premiership Captains

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 28 Aug 2012, 1:47 pm

You can't have a girl captain. Smile Too busy worrying about their hair and clothing.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 28 Aug 2012, 1:57 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:You can't have a girl captain. Smile Too busy worrying about their hair and clothing.

OK

Seconded.

The only time I ever played under a back (no euphenism intended), it was snowing, and he had to leave the pitch because his fingers were too cold. Safe to say, not the most inspiring person. True story.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:40 pm

Louis Deacon isn't the Tigers captain, he was sent along because he was in Leicester doing rehab whilst the rest of the squad were over in Ulster preparing for a pre-season game. Tigers did something similar by sending Parling last year whilst the squad were in France.

The legendary Geordan Murphy remains the Tigers captain and I think if a back is going to captain the side that is the level of standing he needs within the squad.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 28 Aug 2012, 3:59 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:You can't have a girl captain. Smile Too busy worrying about their hair and clothing.

OK

Seconded.

The only time I ever played under a back (no euphenism intended), it was snowing, and he had to leave the pitch because his fingers were too cold. Safe to say, not the most inspiring person. True story.

To be fair, Ive lost count of the amount of times i've stood out on the wing freezing to death while the donkeys kept themselves warm by shoving their heads up each others' backsides, groping each others' crotches and pulling each others' hair. In my experience, at junior club level, the backs were lucky to see the ball twice in a match because the fat boys up front kept sticking it up their jumpers. Mind you, you couldn't tell it was there most of the time, amongst the rolls of flab. Cold injuries are no laughing matter by the way.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 28 Aug 2012, 4:18 pm

Jimpy wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:

OK

Seconded.

To be fair, Ive lost count of the amount of times i've stood out on the wing freezing to death while the donkeys kept themselves warm by shoving their heads up each others' backsides, groping each others' crotches and pulling each others' hair. In my experience, at junior club level, the backs were lucky to see the ball twice in a match because the fat boys up front kept sticking it up their jumpers. Mind you, you couldn't tell it was there most of the time, amongst the rolls of flab. Cold injuries are no laughing matter by the way.

thumbsup

Nice one pal. Reverting to the childish stereotypes! Guess I hit nerve....not sure how really.....unless, of course, you're my old school captain..??

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 28 Aug 2012, 4:22 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:

OK

Seconded.

thumbsup

Nice one pal. Reverting to the childish stereotypes! Guess I hit nerve....not sure how really.....unless, of course, you're my old school captain..??

Ah now. Didn't we start it with the stereotypes.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 28 Aug 2012, 4:34 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:

OK

Seconded.

thumbsup

Ah now. Didn't we start it with the stereotypes.

Headscratch ........guess you're right. Apologies. Hug

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:09 pm

If you had to pick a back to be your captain for your club who would it be?

Mine would be Brad Barritt for Saracens.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:15 pm

Barritt is an excellent shout. I like the captain to lead by example, and he does that well.

We've got Geordan Murphy as captain already, so I guess that flaws my answer!

Anyhow, if I had to chose someone else, I think it would probably be Allen or Flood to be honest. Tuilagi hasn't got the temperment, and the wingers are not settled yet, Youngs can be petulant at times....so that leaves those two really! I do think Flood or Allen could be a good leader though.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:18 pm

bluestonevedder you're pretty luck in that sense. Surprised Castro isn't Leicester captain though.

1st thing I think the captain needs to be: guaranteed starter.

Murphy fits that bill perfectly.

I think Allen would be a good shout. Maybe not Flood as he has Ford snapping on his heels.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:20 pm

I've often thought about Castro, but him and COle tend to rotate so much in games, either playing a half each, or at least between each game. You wouldn't get the consistency needed for a captain to be respected really.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:21 pm

Sorry, yeh, Murphy is the perfect choice. He's so experienced, has been at the club since he was a youth, and I think he's got the respect of both forwards and backs alike. Great leader.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:24 pm

Good point actually bluestonevedder that rules Castro out according to my own rule!

Yup Murphy's been an annoyingly consistent player for the Tigers. My favourite player of your guys. Nice bloke too.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:29 pm

Top bloke, real model professional really! Also, he still proves that you don't need to be a monster to survive in the modern game

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:32 pm

Danny Care. Honestly. Reckon it could do him a world of good. Either that or we'd be ****ed. Interesting either way
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:39 pm

Interesting shout there chequeredjersey. He's guaranteed starter though and one of your best players. I would like to see it happen.

Surprised you wouldn't pick Evans though.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:42 pm

Evans needs resting this year. He doesn't need the added pressur of captaincy. Plus I don't think FHs make great captains, SHs sometimes can (Gregan and Pichot especially spring to mind)
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 28 Aug 2012, 6:48 pm

Aren't forwards generally selected because they're generally closer to the ref throughout the game AND most discussions between the ref and captain are about rucks or scrums.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 29 Aug 2012, 7:55 am

bluestonevedder wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:

OK

Seconded.

thumbsup

I doubt you'll have spotted the irony in that comment.

Nice one pal.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 29 Aug 2012, 9:13 am

I'd go for Mike Brown. He leads by example and has plenty of experience, but you can't give it to Evans as he has enough on his plate anyway. I don't think flyhalfs ever make good captains? Can't think of one anyway.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 29 Aug 2012, 9:31 am

Jimpy wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:

OK

Seconded.

thumbsup

I doubt you'll have spotted the irony in that comment.

Nice one pal.

Gosh, really hit a nerve didn't I? For what reason? Telling a story about one of my rugby experiences? It's all just a bit of friendly banter mate, until of course, someone takes it a little too far.

By the way, if you'll read up, I actually apologised. Being the bigger man (and not in the sense that you so eloquently described in your original post).

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 29 Aug 2012, 9:33 am

Top bloke, real model professional really! Also, he still proves that you don't need to be a monster to survive in the modern game

Some of the same reasons I think that George Ford may be a Tigers captain in the future. The way he organises the field and the respect he has earned off the pitch (according to Geordan) puts him in a good light. Give it a few years and I think he may well be leading Tigers through the fans at Welford Rd. After Jordan Crane has had his stint as captain.

I'd go for Mike Brown. He leads by example and has plenty of experience

I'd actually go for Lowe in the Quins backline. He seems to lead the defence and does a lot of talking for the Quins already. Being a product of the academy and a real grafter on the park he is ticking the boxes, perhaps another season or two of injury free experience would make him a more likely candidate though.

Surprised Castro isn't Leicester captain though

1)giving the captaincy to the most eccentric player in the squad is always a risk, though he did captain the Tigers vs Jersey and Italy over the summer (winning 3 from 3 as captain isn't bad). He does rotate to much with Cole which might be alright if Cole was a possible co-captain but Cole is to quiet and focussed.

2)I'm not a fan of captains in the front row. Yeah there have been good ones but when it comes to talking to the ref the other side get to the man in black much quicker as generally your front rower is at the bottom of the ruck or stuck in the scrum rather on hand for a quick word or to offer some 'guidance'.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down