The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sale takes a chance on Cameron Shepherd

+2
HammerofThunor
George Carlin
6 posters

Go down

Sale takes a chance on Cameron Shepherd Empty Sale takes a chance on Cameron Shepherd

Post by George Carlin Wed 15 Aug 2012, 12:40 pm

From SMH:

"English Premiership team Sale have thrown former Wallabies utility back Cameron Shepherd a lifeline after his proposed move to Northampton collapsed on medical grounds.

The 28-year-old fullback and winger was due to join the Saints last week on a three-year deal after seven seasons with Super Rugby team the Western Force.

He struggled with groin and wrist injuries in 2012 and Northampton were not convinced he could cope with the demands of a hectic schedule and tore up his three-year contract.

Sale invited Shepherd to train with them and on Wednesday announced his signing along with that of outside centre Corne Uys from Newcastle.

"Cameron has got great pedigree. We're hoping to get him fully fit, so that he can seize the opportunity to make a big impact for this club," said Sale's director of rugby Bryan Redpath said.

The gifted Shepherd debuted for the NSW Waratahs as a 20-year-old and, after being picked for Australia two years later, he won the last of his nine caps for the Wallabies in 2010."

Seems unlikely that a Saints medical would be more stringent than a Sale one so I'm taking it as read that he is being signed at less than optimum fitness.

The position has to be that Redpath is taking a punt on Shepherd getting his fitness back in the pre-season (and perhaps during the first few weeks of the full season).

Diamond likes a gamble. Let's hope that this one pays off too because I remember CS in 2010 and he was quality.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sale takes a chance on Cameron Shepherd Empty Re: Sale takes a chance on Cameron Shepherd

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 15 Aug 2012, 12:43 pm

Maybe they offered him less money and he was a bit desperate. If Saints just thought he wouldn't last they Sale paying him less and expecting fewer games wouldn't be a problem

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Sale takes a chance on Cameron Shepherd Empty Re: Sale takes a chance on Cameron Shepherd

Post by Geordie Wed 15 Aug 2012, 1:10 pm

They've also signed Corne Uys from us. I imagine he'll be a back up player..for squad depth...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 15 Aug 2012, 2:50 pm

They are taking a chance with Cips too. Hope it pays off, would make for a better league and really help out Union in the North now that Falcons are gone (for now)
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 15 Aug 2012, 3:06 pm

We'll be back stronger than ever.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 15 Aug 2012, 3:27 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:We'll be back stronger than ever.

Hmmm I don't think so.

Fingers crossed Very Happy
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Wed 15 Aug 2012, 3:31 pm

I say they also haven't signed him on a long deal either like Saints did. He could be a good player but most importantly is he adds depth to the squad along with the signing of Uys because their depth was weak before this.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 15 Aug 2012, 9:01 pm

HERSH wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:We'll be back stronger than ever.

Hmmm I don't think so.

Fingers crossed Very Happy

I look forward to Bath coming up on a iced up winter Friday night next season, with Bath getting royally humped cos its too coldy woldy....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down