The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs middlesex match thread

+4
Mike Selig
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

surrey vs middlesex match thread - Page 2 Empty surrey vs middlesex match thread

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 16:07

First topic message reminder :

Team Director Chris Adams has named a fourteen man squad for the LV=County Championship match against Middlesex at the Kia Oval starting on Wednesday.
Rory Hamilton-Brown returns to the squad having played in the last two Clydesdale Bank 40 games. Stuart Meaker is unavailable as he is currently involved in the England Lions series with Australia A.
sadly there is no kp Sad
The Surrey squad for the LV=County Championship game against Middlesex at the Kia Oval on Wednesday 15th August, Thursday 16th August, Friday 17th August and Saturday 18th August:
Gareth Batty (capt)
Rory Burns
Zafar Ansari
Arun Harinath
Rory Hamilton-Brown
Jason Roy
Zander de Bruyn
Steven Davies
Matthew Spriegel
Murali Kartik
Tim Linley
Jon Lewis
Chris Jordan
Jade Dernbach
take it as red for jordan to miss out the other two no idea

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs middlesex match thread - Page 2 Empty Re: surrey vs middlesex match thread

Post by guildfordbat Fri 17 Aug 2012 - 20:17

thegooch7 wrote:
Well done to Third Degree and Arun (can't think of a nick for him!) A fantastic effort by both!

Well done indeed! I managed to get along again today. Fascinating match and still unfolding. Mini report to folow a bit later.

Arun is The Baron. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

surrey vs middlesex match thread - Page 2 Empty Re: surrey vs middlesex match thread

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 17 Aug 2012 - 22:59

Big day tomorrow. Agree with Chichester, if we lose this that's pretty much it for Div 1. The stuffing will be completely knocked out of us. Whereas with a win the confidence would come flooding back.

Burns has confirmed his potential again. I await Guildford's report on Harinath. I was rather assuming he was heading for a "regretful release" by Surrey at the end of the season, whereas now he has bought himself selection until end of season. Maybe 50/50 as to his future?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 17 Aug 2012 - 23:23

A fascinating day and every prospect of the same tomorrow.

First of all, praise where massively due to Rory Burns and Arun Harinath. Two magnificent innings. One superb partnership.

Their shot selection was very impressive with most balls being struck crisply along the ground and very few in the air. Judgment of both players was also sound as to which balls to leave. Probably most excellent of all was their running between the wickets, always looking for quick singles and the opportunity to turn ones into twos.

It was an absolute pleasure to see the scoreboard showing both on exactly 100 just before lunch. A maiden Championship century for each player. Whilst delighted for Burns, I took even more pleasure from Harinath's ton. Unlike the chirpy, confident 21 year old Burns, Harinath is four years older and by all accounts a highly thoughtful individual who would have realised that the match and probably his whole career (his Surrey contract is up at the end of the season and no decision has yet been made on renewal) would be heavily influenced by his showing today.

Harinath fell somewhat unluckily soon after lunch. Victim of a fine catch from Rogers after a parry from keeper Rossington off Crook's bowling. Burns then looked to put the foot on the gas before his wicket was taken by the again impressive Roland-Jones. After that, Surrey very much fell away. They seemed unsure whether to continue ticking over or really go for it. Whilst they were making up their minds, Roland-Jones and Crook cashed in as Surrey went from 230 - 1 to 341 all out. Some useful runs from Davies but too little from everyone else. De Bruyn and Roy briefly looked like they might get going but then departed too soon.

Interestingly, to me anyway following my first day comments, Rossington stood up to the wicket whenever Roy faced so as to prevent him batting out of his crease and getting too forward. Even though Murtagh didn't seem to have the same amount of nip and movement as in the first innings, it was a particular surprise to see Rossington standing up to his bowling. This tactic probably played a part in Roy being adjudged lbw to Crook although it was clearly not a decision supported by the batsman.

Anyway, the home side still obtained a decent overall lead and much better than most Surrey supporters expected last night. Middlesex certainly suffered from the lack of a proven spinner. Smith and a mix of part timers were certainly not up to the standard set yesterday by Kartik and Batty. Smith, in particular, seemed to push the ball through too quickly rather than being prepared to give it flight - I guess that's a lack of confidence and consequence of having played so little Championship cricket despite being on the Middlesex books for several years.

As Mike has suggested, a potentially vital wicket of Rogers has been taken late on. I think Surrey are now very marginally favourites. If Kartik and Batty can do their jobs tomorrow as well as Burns and Harinath did theirs today, matters should be straightforward on a very dusty wicket. However, when did Surrey last do anything in a straightforward way?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 10:58

Good report Guildford. On the highlights Rogers didn't look all that happy with his LBW decision. He lingered an awful long time at the crease - unless it was just that the Video froze...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 11:04

Kartik gets Robson caught by le Roi king clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 11:07

Morning Corporal and all - I have to be honest and admit that Rogers was out (given out, anyway Wink ) just after I had left for the day. I have though since read he was very unhappy with the decision; as was Roy earlier in the day although that's not shown on the highlights.

Lovely interviews by Churchy of the ''chuffed'' Burns and the more reflective Harinath on Surrey tv.

Wonderful start by Kartik. surrey vs middlesex match thread - Page 2 732107

Now for the nightwatchman ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 11:09

guildfordbat wrote:

Wonderful start by Kartik. surrey vs middlesex match thread - Page 2 732107

Now for the nightwatchman ....

YES!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 11:17

guildfordbat wrote:

Lovely interviews by Churchy of the ''chuffed'' Burns and the more reflective Harinath on Surrey tv.

Meant to add - particulary for Goochie who was asking yesterday about Arun Harinath's nickname - Burns refers in this interview to his batting partner as ''Baron'' and ''Baz''. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 12:21

Five down. Four to Batty.

Middlesex still need 150 plus.

An enormous amount resting on Malan ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 12:25

101 - 6 Shocked Shocked

The time for Roland Jones and Murtagh draws nearer.... Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 12:27

Malan falls to Batty kiss kiss

Ex prime ministers up and down the land will be devastated at Batty's performance... Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 13:03

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:

Ex prime ministers up and down the land will be devastated at Batty's performance... Very Happy

surrey vs middlesex match thread - Page 2 3497602689 surrey vs middlesex match thread - Page 2 3497602689 Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 13:12

Bit of a partnership developing for 8th wicket. Let's hope the spinners come out refreshed after the break.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 13:23

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Bit of a partnership developing for 8th wicket. Let's hope the spinners come out refreshed after the break.

Kevin Hand(the Middlesex commentator on BBC London) said at lunch that it was ''now Surrey's to lose''.

That's absolutely correct and, to echo the ever astute and anxious Chichester, we could still do so!

If these two batsmen put on another 50 after lunch, the game will have turned once more ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 13:56

Crook steals a boundary and gets to 50.

89 more runs or 3 more wickets ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 14:02

guildfordbat wrote:

If these two batsmen put on another 50 after lunch, the game will have turned once more ....

Crook and Rossington have added 30 in 20 minutes since lunch ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 14:19

59 to win. Middlesex still have 3 wickets left.

'The turning point has been reached'' - Kevin Hand. Spot on.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 14:23

Stage is set for Murtagh or Rowland Jones to score the winning runs.... Sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 14:28

Denbach makes vital breakthrough bowling Crook with a slower ball. ''A terrific innings'' - Churchy.

57 to win with 2 wickets left.

Support act Rossington will need to step up to the lead role as Roland-Jones (Middlesex's best player in thismatch) comes to the crease ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 14:28

Following the script, Dernbach finally dismisses Crook. clap In comes Rowland Jones Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 14:30

guildfordbat wrote:

Support act Rossington will need to step up to the lead role ....

Rossington exits stage left, caught by le Roi king off Kartik!

Murtagh and Roland-Jones (both former Surrey men) remain to wreck our dreams ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 14:37

I think I'll disappear for 30 mins. Odd that Middlesex keep their best partnership until last... Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 14:48

the stage is set....... a very nervous 30 mins coming up!! I don't want to be a prophet of doom but.... Cool

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 14:49

Come on surrey

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 14:54

213-9 - just another 40 to get... surely not...??? Shocked

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:03

What is it about Surrey v Middx matches this season??!! furious

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:04

Chichester - the Corporal couldn't take the tension and has gone on a brief march to keep his nerves in check. You might want to open another bottle of wine and watch Olympic highlights .... Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:07

good plan, Guildfordbat!! I'm leaving the computer for 5 mins now and when I come back..... will it be... Very Happy or Yahoo or Crying or Very sad

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:08

jimbobgooner wrote:Come on surrey

Hi JimBob - good to have you on board. Thought you would be chanting obscenities about van Persie at the Emirates .... Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:12

32 more needed or 1 wicket ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:27

Well that didn't work.... Sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:28

This pair have added 31. 26 more needed.

I'll try a quick break ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:29

May be washing the decking will help? Erm I'll give that a go....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:35

I'm just going out on my bike for a ride... I may be some time...!! - I'll be back on the message board at some point this evening... either to commiserate with everyone or to crack open a mug

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:39

guildfordbat wrote:This pair have added 31. 26 more needed.

I'll try a quick break ....

Useless!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:41

Kartik bowls a no ball! surrey vs middlesex match thread - Page 2 980425 Dreadful.

17 to win ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:44

Chichester does a Captain Oates in the face of the inevitable.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:45

Corporal - on a point of detail, I don't think Captain Oates left on a bicycle.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:49

guildfordbat wrote:Corporal - on a point of detail, I don't think Captain Oates left on a bicycle.
Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:51

Corporalhumblebucket wrote: 101 - 6 Shocked Shocked

The time for Roland Jones and Murtagh draws nearer.... Erm
steam steam

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:52

45 added by this pair in the second innings. They added 44 first time round.

12 more needed ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:54

Checking in from the emirates chaps this is looking as bad as arsenal are playing Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:55

Checking in from the emirates chaps this is looking as bad as arsenal are playing Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:57

JimBob - hope you're not wearing your van Persie shirt! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 15:58

10 to win.

The fat lady is certainly going to be singing soon and it looks like it'll be for Middlesex ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 16:02

Linley and Dernbach (10 + 11) totalled 1 run from 4 inns
Murtagh and Roland Jones (10 + 11) 91....................so far
Absolutely pathetic from Surrey

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 16:02

9 to win Sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 16:04

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 16:04

My cry worked!!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 16:05

guildfordbat wrote:10 to win.

The fat lady is certainly going to be singing soon and it looks like it'll be for Middlesex ....

YES!!! My master plan to jinx Middlesex works! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next