The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs middlesex match thread

+4
Mike Selig
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

surrey vs middlesex match thread - Page 3 Empty surrey vs middlesex match thread

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 14 Aug 2012, 4:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

Team Director Chris Adams has named a fourteen man squad for the LV=County Championship match against Middlesex at the Kia Oval starting on Wednesday.
Rory Hamilton-Brown returns to the squad having played in the last two Clydesdale Bank 40 games. Stuart Meaker is unavailable as he is currently involved in the England Lions series with Australia A.
sadly there is no kp Sad
The Surrey squad for the LV=County Championship game against Middlesex at the Kia Oval on Wednesday 15th August, Thursday 16th August, Friday 17th August and Saturday 18th August:
Gareth Batty (capt)
Rory Burns
Zafar Ansari
Arun Harinath
Rory Hamilton-Brown
Jason Roy
Zander de Bruyn
Steven Davies
Matthew Spriegel
Murali Kartik
Tim Linley
Jon Lewis
Chris Jordan
Jade Dernbach
take it as red for jordan to miss out the other two no idea

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs middlesex match thread - Page 3 Empty Re: surrey vs middlesex match thread

Post by Mike Selig Sat 18 Aug 2012, 4:05 pm

Surrey win - congratulations.

Great effort by the last pair, but ultimately it was two top and middle order failures which cost Middlesex. Malan seems to make so many starts and then get out, he's too good a player to keep doing this.

3 defeats on the run now, and definitely looking like it could be an end of season dog-fight.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

surrey vs middlesex match thread - Page 3 Empty Re: surrey vs middlesex match thread

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012, 4:06 pm

thegooch7 wrote:My cry worked!!

Goochie - excellent late cameo! Well played. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012, 4:08 pm

Looks like Batty has been listening to Sir W C's speeches. We will fight them in the beaches, we will fight them on the landing stages. We will fight them on the slow turners. We will never surrender.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012, 4:10 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Looks like Batty has been listening to Sir W C's speeches. We will fight them in the beaches, we will fight them on the landing stages. We will fight them on the slow turners. We will never surrender.....

And enormously to Batty's credit - per Churchy - he doesn't lead the team off despite his sixfer. He gives that honour to Third Degree and The Baron. surrey vs middlesex match thread - Page 3 1710857839 surrey vs middlesex match thread - Page 3 1710857839

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012, 4:12 pm

Guildford - that really is highly commendable. I'm off to strip some wall paper for a few minutes!!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012, 4:15 pm

Mike Selig wrote:Surrey win - congratulations.

Great effort by the last pair, but ultimately it was two top and middle order failures which cost Middlesex. Malan seems to make so many starts and then get out, he's too good a player to keep doing this.

3 defeats on the run now, and definitely looking like it could be an end of season dog-fight.

Thanks, Mike. Much more nail biting than we would have liked but we got there in the end.

I take your point about Middlesex's batting but do think you need to look at your slow bowling as well. Although Burns and Harinath both batted extremely well yesterday, the inexperienced Smith and an array of part timers didn't pressurise them nearly enough.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sat 18 Aug 2012, 4:17 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
thegooch7 wrote:My cry worked!!

Goochie - excellent late cameo! Well played. Very Happy

Cheers guildford!

clap to Norah, (s)he's certainly winning us over!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012, 4:18 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote: I'm off to strip some wall paper for a few minutes!!

I think it was Alan Shearer who after scoring a hat trick said he would celebrate by creosoting his fence! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Sat 18 Aug 2012, 5:57 pm

its a Ale and a clap

my cycle trip worked!! - blooming hot out there too and nettles impeding some of the paths... must remember next time not to wear shorts!!
congratulations to the lads...after the Durham debacle and day 1 of this match... you'd had got extremely long odds on Surrey turning that one around!

atleast there is some hope now and of course the added bonus of beating Middx... it was a tremendous fight back by them at the end.. and they must be feeling gutted... just like Surrey were at Lords earlier in the seasons

Well done the Surrey lads and enjoy a Ale tonight.. I will be!!

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012, 6:02 pm

Whisky Whisky RedWine Plus a spot of something to mark West Ham's first points of the season....
Plus Ale Ale for the Oval groundsman producing a spinners pitch when most needed....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 18 Aug 2012, 6:23 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
I take your point about Middlesex's batting but do think you need to look at your slow bowling as well. Although Burns and Harinath both batted extremely well yesterday, the inexperienced Smith and an array of part timers didn't pressurise them nearly enough.

I wasn't expecting anything from our spinners though, I suppose that's the difference.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 18 Aug 2012, 8:08 pm

Where have all my posts gone Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Aug 2012, 8:26 pm

Mike Selig wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

I wasn't expecting anything from our spinners though, I suppose that's the difference.

Mike - fair enough.

Just to emphasise, I was very impressed by Toby Roland-Jones. Accurate throughout with clever variations. Certainly deserved his 8 match wickets. Just looked him up on Cricinfo - we both know stats are far from everything but they are thought provoking. He made his first class debut in May 2010 and to date has taken 115 f c wickets at an average of under 21. That's some going. Must be in with a good shout of an England Lions call up if he maintains that level.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 18 Aug 2012, 9:38 pm

Toby is quite a late developper, I think he's about 23/24 now, which is rather late to be breaking through (compared to the likes of Anderson, Finn, Broad, even Harmison), but he's impressed me every outing with how his game is improving. I certainly rank him above someone like Rankin right now.

Spin has been a problem for Middlesex really since Tuffnel retired. Udal and Kartik filled that gap but it was always short term, and they've been a few such as Peploe, Toor and now it would appear Smith who haven't really made the transition to first class cricket in the way hoped. Did I mention that us french have this young leg-spinner...?

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 18 Aug 2012, 11:54 pm

In his post match interview Norah pays tribute to everyone at the club including the tea room staff who have been working their socks off.... cake

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Aug 2012, 1:33 am

guinness cider Bubbly RedWine Bubbly Whisky vomit

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 19 Aug 2012, 9:27 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:In his post match interview Norah pays tribute to everyone at the club including the tea room staff who have been working their socks off.... surrey vs middlesex match thread - Page 3 4195549533

Corporal - yes, another good interview. I struggled slightly to catch Batty's exact 'team room' reference. Is it 'Princess in the tea room' to whom he pays particular credit?

I did notice that he again also praises Churchy's work.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3