The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rating the 2012 Olympics and your favourite moment of the games

+16
teassoc
super_realist
TM Moot
Leff
GSC
Duty281
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Dave.
alfie
Thomond
Shelsey93
Mad for Chelsea
ChequeredJersey
Lumbering_Jack
Galted
Crimey
20 posters

Go down

Rating the 2012 Olympics and your favourite moment of the games Empty Rating the 2012 Olympics and your favourite moment of the games

Post by Guest Sat 11 Aug 2012, 9:23 pm

I wasn't that looking forward to these games but I have been totally captivated by it all the moment I turned in on the first Saturday morning. Of all the games I have seen this has been - by a country mile - the best and most entertaining. As a Brit it has been compelling viewing from day one and boy haven't we done well and exceeded all expectations! You called it Duty!

My favourite moment has to be Mo Farahs triumph in the 10,000 metres last Saturday night. I can't remember a single sporting moment that has given me such goosebumps. Amazing stuff and couldn't happen to a nicer and more appreciative guy. Well done Sir Mo!!

The rating? 10/10. Absolutely perfect. London has done us proud.

Cheers guys. thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Rating the 2012 Olympics and your favourite moment of the games Empty Re: Rating the 2012 Olympics and your favourite moment of the games

Post by Crimey Sat 11 Aug 2012, 9:26 pm

I was in the exact same position as you, not really looking forward to them, begrudging the sheer amount of coverage it was getting before it had even begun.

Since the very first day I have watched nothing else, while the Olympics have been on I haven't put anything else on.

I think a combination of it being in Britain and Team GB's success have made it that much more enjoyable. But it also had great moments outside of the Team GB ones, such as Usain Bolt's sprints, Michael Phelps becoming the greatest Olympian ever, Chad Le Clos and his dad!, David Rudisha etc.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Rating the 2012 Olympics and your favourite moment of the games Empty Re: Rating the 2012 Olympics and your favourite moment of the games

Post by Galted Sat 11 Aug 2012, 9:38 pm

Rudisha & Botswana's first medal ever, the French team in the 4x100 relay in the pool, Wiggins & Armitstead, Ki Bo Bae, the British public & le Clos's dad.

Last edited by Galted on Sat 11 Aug 2012, 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 11 Aug 2012, 9:45 pm

My highlight of the British events other than Mo Farah's, were the track cycling, Hoy winning the keirin when it looked certain that he'd lost it was great, or any of the world record rides.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 11 Aug 2012, 10:02 pm

Rudisha for me. Truly exceptional race.

I also disagree that Phelps is the greatest olympian, but that is another argument.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Aug 2012, 10:08 pm

The interview with le Clos' dad was pure gold. Really touching.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 11 Aug 2012, 10:13 pm

I'm very biased but 10/10.

Top 3 moments, can't seperate them- Super Saturday, the atmosphere in the pub I was in for Jess and Rutherford was amazing then Mo...

Rudisha's 800m- incredible run

Wiggins' TT win, because I was on the road at Kingston and got to cheer him and wait for the result nervously on radio
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 11 Aug 2012, 10:46 pm

I was lucky enough to get tickets to a few events (hockey, fencing, volleyball, athletics and track cycling - all but the fencing heats and prelims - also watched some action on the giant screens) and it was quite tremendous, the atmosphere absolutely electric (and not just when the Brits were going either) the organisation top notch (no queueing whatsoever to get into venues and very small queues once in), the voluteers incredible (so friendly and smiling). Tops Sydney (which I also managed to get to) IMO which is no mean feat clap

As for the greatest moment of the Games, has to be Rudisha for me: to run a WR in the Olympic final in middle distance is unbelievable. For British success I'd be tempted to go with Jess Ennis as to deliver under all that pressure is pretty special but in truth they've been so many special moments I'm loathe to pick one.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 11 Aug 2012, 11:05 pm

An overall impression of the Games? Brilliant. I don't want to say 'the best ever' or 'better than Sydney' because I'm a/ not the man to judge and b/ biased. But everything was perfect, from the enthusiasm of the whole city, to the atmosphere inside the almost universally full venues, to the British success and to flawless organisation.

My British moment of the Games was the 1-2 in the C2 Canoe Slalom. Not the most high profile sport but to see Britain guaranteed a gold, with another British pair on their way down and getting the 1-2 was quite incredible. It really started off the gold rush, and came on that frantic afternoon when Gibbons was in Judo action, the cycling was getting off to a flying start and then Adlington was racing in the evening.

2nd on my list was the last day of the Cycling. I was lucky enough to be in the Park watching on the big screen as Sir Chris Hoy and Laura Trott delivered gold and Victoria Pendleton's career ended with a dramatic silver. Seeing every position possible on the muddy hill taken , on a cold and slightly damp day, and thousands of people spontaneously singing the national anthem was incredible.

3rd goes to the Athletics triple gold last Saturday. Only 3rd because Ennis and Farah were big favourites, and being in the Park gives Cycling the edge. But what a day that was.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 12 Aug 2012, 12:50 pm

From an Irish point of view Katie's gold is a no brainer, been training for it for 10 years and one of the reasons women's boxing is even in the Games. Our greatest ever sportsperson.

In general, Farah's 10k was super as was last night, hard to pick out individual ones it has been enthralling from day 1. Great stuff and a credit to GB. Fans have been great and the homer performance was superb. Take a bow lads, unreal stuff.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 12 Aug 2012, 3:14 pm

Too many great moments to list .

Perhaps because it is fresh in my mind I am leaning to Mo's win last night in the 5000.

Special mention to that beautiful horse dancing to Holst and Elgar ...weird but compelling Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 12 Aug 2012, 3:17 pm

Oh and Rudisha and that incredible 800 ...

...but I said I wouldn't start a list Very Happy

Loved the whole two weeks ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 12 Aug 2012, 6:32 pm

Sir Chris winning the keirin and closing his Olympic career in the most fitting way possible. Also, SUPER SATURDAY! Best night ever.

10/10. Best. Games. Ever.

Last edited by Olympic Dave on Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 12 Aug 2012, 6:37 pm

Have to say I was a massive Olympics sceptic but this has been really well run and successful. relatively free of controversy, some great performances in all sorts of events and lots of big passionate crowds. Ignoring the haul of medals for GB its been a very good event, even the trains have managed to run on time for once!
Apparently it cost less than had been budgeted in 2007 too which given our recent history in delivering major projects is quite incredible.

Hats off to everyone involved, every goal has been achieved including winning over public opinion.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 12 Aug 2012, 6:49 pm

10/10. I can't pick a favourite moment as there's too many of them!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 12 Aug 2012, 6:50 pm

Had to be Mo
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Mon 13 Aug 2012, 1:33 am

Back in the US this afternoon. NBC's delayed coverage of the closing ceremony just began.

We watched the olympics last Sat-Wed. Spent a few days in Holland before returning home. Thoroughly enjoyed our time. Wonderful, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and well behaved spectators. Thought London did a great job running the olympics.

There were many great moments when we watched. One I remember well was Mo Farah winning 10K run.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Mon 13 Aug 2012, 9:27 am

Opening Ceremony 10/10
Overall Games/Events 10/10
My trip to Stadium 10/10
Team GB 10/10
BBC coverage 8/10
Closing Ceremony 7/10
Legacy ??/10 (only time will tell)

All in all very impressed (and massively relieved tbh). Best moment has watching Ennis smash the 100m hurdles live. So many others moments to choose from.

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 13 Aug 2012, 9:39 am

Murray anihilating Federer was certainly one of the performances of the games.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Mon 13 Aug 2012, 9:41 am

Disregarding my GB bias for a second, the French in the pool were something special. They achieved what I'd hoped the GB team would do. Rudisha who led from gun to tape was also huge.

From a GB perspective, our huge successes in Equestrian events was almost completely unexpected so hats off to them. Finest individual moments were Ennis and Mo winning their Golds.

Overall, a big thanks to the Game Makers as volunteers, who did such wonderful jobs in and out of the various venues. Special thanks to Danny Boyle who did a fantastic job with both ceremonies.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:05 am

For me the standout moment was David Rudisha. My jaw dropped when I say the time.

The volunteers were superb also. Massive credit to them.

And last but not least.....Boris Johnson. Legend even for a Tory.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Mon 13 Aug 2012, 11:13 am

teassoc wrote:Special thanks to Danny Boyle who did a fantastic job with both ceremonies.

Not sure if Sir Danny Boyle was involved in the Closing Ceremony. Would of thought he had enough on his plate with the first.

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Mon 13 Aug 2012, 12:22 pm

TM Moot wrote:
teassoc wrote:Special thanks to Danny Boyle who did a fantastic job with both ceremonies.

Not sure if Sir Danny Boyle was involved in the Closing Ceremony. Would of thought he had enough on his plate with the first.

Quite right, just read it was Kim Gavin. Doh

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon 13 Aug 2012, 12:41 pm

For me (as Usain Bolt often starts his sentences), there are too many moments to choose from.

In terms of performance, although I didn't see all their races, the GB women team pursuiters continuing their astonishing run of breaking the WR 6 consecutive times probably impresses me the most (and has perversely led to some fallout with surplus 4th team member Wendy Houvenaghel). Add to that Laura Trott going on to win the omnium in the days thereafter. It's been a great Olympics for the ladies generally.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 15 Aug 2012, 2:37 pm

A few highlights for me
- actually living in a host city, and just getting to go to an event (the opening night of beach volleyball) was pretty special
- watching Bond & Murray confirm their overwhelming favouritism in the mens' rowing pair by taking 10seconds off the Olympic record in their heat, then smashing the WR in the final
- 6 golds for NZ, their 2nd best result ever after the 8 golds in LA 1984. Like in 84 the bulk of the medals were for sitting down - rowing/kayaking/sailing/equestrian/cycling, but c'est la vie. And 3rd place on the per-capita medals table is nice.
- I was in France for 5 days through the middle. Their coverage certainly makes you appreciate the BBC more.

A friend of mine works as a freelance sports journalist/photographer/copy editor. Her 10 highlights make some good reading http://sportchix.co.uk/2012/08/15/my-top-10-very-personal-olympic-moments/
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 2:46 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:I'm very biased but 10/10.

Top 3 moments, can't seperate them- Super Saturday, the atmosphere in the pub I was in for Jess and Rutherford was amazing then Mo...

Rudisha's 800m- incredible run

Wiggins' TT win, because I was on the road at Kingston and got to cheer him and wait for the result nervously on radio

Exactly the same for me - with the addition of Nicola Adams' Gold in the boxing. Making history as the first ever womens boxing gold medallist and doing it with a masterclass performance, totally owning the world #1 and world champ. Magic.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 2:50 pm

Oh, and the opening ceremony! That really was the best ever, blew Beijing out the water!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 3:03 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:A few highlights for me
- actually living in a host city, and just getting to go to an event (the opening night of beach volleyball) was pretty special
- watching Bond & Murray confirm their overwhelming favouritism in the mens' rowing pair by taking 10seconds off the Olympic record in their heat, then smashing the WR in the final
- 6 golds for NZ, their 2nd best result ever after the 8 golds in LA 1984. Like in 84 the bulk of the medals were for sitting down - rowing/kayaking/sailing/equestrian/cycling, but c'est la vie. And 3rd place on the per-capita medals table is nice.
- I was in France for 5 days through the middle. Their coverage certainly makes you appreciate the BBC more.

A friend of mine works as a freelance sports journalist/photographer/copy editor. Her 10 highlights make some good reading http://sportchix.co.uk/2012/08/15/my-top-10-very-personal-olympic-moments/

Was going really well until the soppy-Love sacks last (top) three...

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Thu 16 Aug 2012, 8:10 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:A friend of mine works as a freelance sports journalist/photographer/copy editor. Her 10 highlights make some good reading http://sportchix.co.uk/2012/08/15/my-top-10-very-personal-olympic-moments/

I was there for number 8 (the Saudi women athlete 'competing' in the 800m), it was a great moment.

I think it showed the best of British. The support/applause she got was uplifting and spine tingling.

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 16 Aug 2012, 9:32 am

TM Moot wrote:
Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:A friend of mine works as a freelance sports journalist/photographer/copy editor. Her 10 highlights make some good reading http://sportchix.co.uk/2012/08/15/my-top-10-very-personal-olympic-moments/

I was there for number 8 (the Saudi women athlete 'competing' in the 800m), it was a great moment.

I think it showed the best of British. The support/applause she got was uplifting and spine tingling.

Very very good point TM. That kind of cheering and love/support of the plucky underdog/against all odds fighter is classic Brit and something no other nation can match.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down