The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Apprentice Task 5 - The Match

+3
sodhat
TwisT
Afro
7 posters

Go down

The Apprentice Task 5 - The Match Empty The Apprentice Task 5 - The Match

Post by Afro Thu 09 Aug 2012, 2:01 pm

Team TOS:

Team Nando/Viva:
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

The Apprentice Task 5 - The Match Empty Re: The Apprentice Task 5 - The Match

Post by TwisT Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:57 pm

When are we good to go?

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:27 pm

I had four votes excluding my own.

The result of those votes is.....

2-2

Win for Nando and Viva.

I think Nando and Viva's team has a good balance in it. The other team has a reasonably poor defence (apart from Kompay), especially the fullbacks. I'd have put Riise in at LB and SWP at RW

Win for TOS
Feel that TOS has a far better team and Nando/Viva made a few odd decisions such as playing Moses on the left when he should always play on the right. This seams like it was done solely to make sure that Viva got in his two Man U players into the starting line up in Rooney and Valencia. If they wanted Moses for Wigan and Viva was insistent on two Man U players then they should have gone with Young on the left rather than Valencia on the right. Equally they could have gone with Valencia - Rooney - Mata with RVP in front of them. Going back to TOS I feel they did a good job in using the fullbacks from the weaker teams especially Fabio for QPR. Their whole team just looks like it would gel together and the two City players chosen (Kompany and Silva) were two great choices from what is probably the best side in the league. In the end it also comes down to who do I feel made the best choice of which club got two starting players and TOS with Kompany/Silva beat Nando/Viva with Rooney/Valencia based on the aformentioned Moses reasoning.

Win for Team Nando/Viva

Both teams are well balanced and well matched, but both teams had weaknesses due to the task. Nando/Viva's weakness was Karacan in midfield, who is good but not good enough to handle Silva and VDV. TOS's weakness was the defence, despite the inclusion of Kompany. Fabio is a good LB at getting forward but has questions about him defensively. Overall, I think Team Nando/Viva would win, because Fellaini in midfield copes with VDV better than Lucas copes with Mata, and I feel Rooney is smart enough to target Tomkins over Kompany while Shawcross and Koscielny are able to handle Bent.

Win for TOS

Reason: For me Viva/Nando have made a couple of errors. First of all the decision to put Kelvin Davis in goal baffles me. He has never, and will never be Premier League standard. I really can't understand why they picked him. Also the use of Karacan in the midfield baffles me. He is not a holding midfielder, he is a box to box guy. If they wanted a holding midfielder from Reading they should have picked Leigetwood (spelling). And although Viva/Nando have a good defence, and TwisT/Soddy/Trebs defence is weaker, I think they have the better balanced side and they win the game and task for me. Why Nando/Viva picked Karacan as a holding midfielder, and Davis in goal I'll never know

Therefore it comes down to my judgement.

Some questions...
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:33 pm

Team Nando/Viva

1. There is some strong inference that you upset the possible balance of the team by an insistence at having Valencia in there. Can you defend yourself?

2. For me, Southampton's weakness is their keeper and defence. Do you think Davis was the best choice from the Saints?

3. Karacan's role was picked up as being wrong in the tactics. Can you defend your choice of selecting him, and how you chose to use him

4. How much did you consider what the other team might select given that the task was going to a match vote?

5. Why do you think you should win?

Team TOS

1. It was commented that, aside from Kompany, your defence was weak. Is this a fair comment?

2. In particular, Fabio took a bit of slating. How do you feel about that?

3. I feel that you had the advantage in that your list of teams was stronger. How come with the team advantage, and the extra player, you still couldn't win the votes

4. How much did you consider what the other team might select given that the task was going to a match vote?

Last edited by BigFellasAfro on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:34 pm

Ahem...Karacan was an error on the other team's behalf Mr Afro.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:37 pm

But as for the other questions

2. Weak is harsh, we have 2 quality CBs and 1 proven Premier League full back. Fabio is the weak link, but he was a circumstantial choice, and we had to have a QPR player somewhere. It was assessed that FB is maybe the less important of the positions so we lumped him in there.

3. Very little, we focussed on our team and getting the balance right, and I think we did.

4. We have a well balanced side, no one is out of position and the overall squad gives us some flexibility too. It was altogether a well thought out task on our side in that sense.

Last edited by sodhat on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:39 pm

1. Karacan's role was picked up as being wrong in the tactics. Can you defend your choice of selecting him, and how you chose to use him

We didn't choose Karacan Whistle

2. It was commented that, aside from Kompany, your defence was weak. Is this a fair comment?

I think Tomkins is a very good defender, who has had a very good season at West Ham. Fabio is a quick player who can get forward and peg back the opposing winger. Bardsley is a very average defender to be honest.

3. How much did you consider what the other team might select given that the task was going to a match vote?

I didn't consider it at all, I didn't realise it would be a match against the other team, just generally which team would fare better in the premier league.

4. Why do you think you should win?
We have been criticized for our weak defense, but in going forward we have some of the best players from the premier league last season. Cabaye was a revelation at Newcastle, Silva was one of the best attacking midfielders in the world, and Bent scores goals.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:43 pm

Sorry. Can you redo your answers please Erm
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:45 pm

1. It was commented that, aside from Kompany, your defence was weak. Is this a fair comment?

Tomkins is a very good CB and was praised for his season with West Ham. I don't see Fabio as a weak link. I see a player that will blossom now that he isn't in Evra's shadow.

2. Fabio is a young up and coming LB. Yes, he isn't the best LB we could have picked, but at least he isn't being played out of position.

3. How much did you consider what the other team might select given that the task was going to a match vote?

Not a lot. But then teams play their best first 11. Not to try and mould a team to take on a certain opponent. That was our first choice XI

4. Why do you think you should win?.

Us. If I was voting I would say the better all round team is TOS.

Last edited by TwisT on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:48 pm

BigFellasAfro wrote:Sorry. Can you redo your answers please Erm

I have updated the questions...
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:50 pm

4. The fact is.....as the reasons state...Team Nando/Viva made some fundamental errors with the team they picked.

We haven't played people in postions that do not suit them. The only complaint is Fabio. You are always going to get a "weak link" in any side. But it isn't as if we asked Fabio to play in goal. He is a PL LB and we have played him as a LB.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:51 pm

I think it us unfair. He is a decent full back who can get forward and peg back the opposing winger, he is young and pacey.

3. I feel that you had the advantage in that your list of teams was stronger. How come with the team advantage, and the extra player, you still couldn't win the votes

I think they had some of the better teams on paper who under-achieved in the premier league. Wigan have some good players, as do Everton, Swansea and Chelsea.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:51 pm

Personally I see Fabio as a very poor player and I do not think SAF sees him as a long term United player.

With regard to not considering the opposition, that is pretty poor (although I think it will be the same from the other team). It was clearly on the task outline that it would be a match vote, and yes you should be selecting the best XI, but as your manager it is your job to ensure you get the better of the other team. This means being aware of their threat and acting to stop it.
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:54 pm

Bad for Fabio...
But he was a choice of circumstance as I say, and possibly gave us the strongest team we could feasibly have had. Of course we could have gone with Clichy, Assou or others, but it would comprimise our ability to choose a more fundamentally important player elsewhere.

I feel that you shouldn't be conferring advantages...
It's difficult to pinpoint advantages anywhere when you consider the breadth of the task. We may have had clubs with great players in some positions but pap in others, and it's the same for the other side. We had to find the balance and I think we did a good job of it.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:55 pm

BigFellasAfro wrote:Personally I see Fabio as a very poor player and I do not think SAF sees him as a long term United player.

With regard to not considering the opposition, that is pretty poor (although I think it will be the same from the other team). It was clearly on the task outline that it would be a match vote, and yes you should be selecting the best XI, but as your manager it is your job to ensure you get the better of the other team. This means being aware of their threat and acting to stop it.

How was we supposed to do that without looking at what the other team picked? Yes managers should go out their way to stop the other team, but at least they have a fair idea of who is going to play. Because of the nature of the task, there were far to many variables.

Unless you are saying we should have looked at each others team, then I really can't see how you can mark either team down on this. Maybe we should have submitted the squads first....seen what each team had picked and THEN do the tactics.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:55 pm

I can understand your point completely, we should have considered it. Mata and Rooney would have definitely played for them and maybe we should have looked at that and made attempts to stop them. However, our side still works well against them, Kompany got the better of Rooney when they played their games in the league this season, for example.

As for Fabio, I think it will be like Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverley. He will spend the season out on loan, and come back a better player and take Evra's spot next season. He is technically seen as a better player than Rafael and it is only because Evra is arguably the best left back in world football that he isn't getting too much game time at Man Utd.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:56 pm

By the way, I am trying to be Lord Sugar like and play devil's advocate...

If I had a look at the other team's list of teams, I would have had a fair guess on some the players they would have selected.
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:59 pm

Also, to say our defense was weak compared to their's is unfair. For me:

Ruddy > Davies
Bardsley < Jones
Kompany > Shawcross
Tomkins < Koscielny
Fabio > Taylor

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:01 pm

Neil Taylor is better than Fabio
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:04 pm

I still don't see how we could have had a fair idea what they would have picked.

For example, why not RVP and Young or Jelavic and Song or Cech and Vidic? I don't see how Rooney and Mata is such a "done deal" that we would have expected them to pick those two.

Last edited by TwisT on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:04 pm

Okay, thanks.

Now I want to hear from the other team
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:14 pm

1. There is some strong inference that you upset the possible balance of the team by an insistence at having Valencia in there. Can you defend yourself?
I wanted to add real life to the task and we've all seen how good Valencia is for Rooney. I don't think the balance of the team was affected.

2. For me, Southampton's weakness is their keeper and defence. Do you think Davis was the best choice from the Saints?

We wanted to make the squad as balanced as possible and I feel the players we picked were better as a squad and first 11.

3. Karacan's role was picked up as being wrong in the tactics. Can you defend your choice of selecting him, and how you chose to use him
I did speak to some Reading fans on social networks and asked for their opinion on Karacan and they have given me proof on games where he has played as a DM. He was playing alonside Fellaini and both would share defensive dutites.

I really didn't think about the other team.

I think my team should win, I feel we were better.
FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

http://www.manutd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:18 pm

TwisT wrote:I still don't see how we could have had a fair idea what they would have picked.

For example, why not RVP and Young or Jelavic and Song or Cech and Vidic? I don't see how Rooney and Mata is such a "done deal" that we would have expected them to pick those two.

So what you are saying is that you actually did think about it and decided it was impossible.

Or is that just what you are thinking now
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:26 pm

BigFellasAfro wrote:
TwisT wrote:I still don't see how we could have had a fair idea what they would have picked.

So what you are saying is that you actually did think about it and decided it was impossible.

Or is that just what you are thinking now

I am saying that myself, sodhat and trebs could have very easily come up with what we thought would be the first 11 and all be completely different. There are too many variables involved to try and have a team that covered every possible line up. The best way would be to concentrate on our own team, and pick an XI which we feel would beat any team that Viva/Nando chose. And I feel we did that.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:46 pm

Team Nando/Viva

Out of the united players we felt he links up with Rooney the best therefore we went for him , We could of chosen Young/Nani but Valencia is their best winger and would of been foolish to leave him out.

Whilst it wasn't the best choice we could of made me wanted to play Mata in behind where he's most effective which meant putting Moses out to LW and benching Lallana

Jem was an influential player for Reading last season and he always played deeper then most midfielders whilst not a DM he played in that kind of position and dictated the play.

We didn't pretty there no way you could predict who they have chosen we could of tried but would look worse if set up for one side and they came with a completely different side

Personally i felt we had the harder teams to choose from and we worked well together which i never thought id say about Viva Laugh and that the other side should of done better then they did.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:34 pm

Right. I think this task was actually much tougher than it looked initially.

I think both teams did a good job again and you can definately tell we have got the best players still remaining.

Both teams had good submissions. They were well presented and both sets of tactics were very well written. Over the whole squads, I felt that it was impossible to split the two sides, so ultimately it comes down to my view on your starting XIs.

Across the team as a whole, they were well matched.

I feel that the Nando/Viva team is slightly better balanced as the gap between the strength of the defence and attack was smaller. The criticism of Karacan was unfair in my opinion as he was partnered with Fellaini and is equally able to play box to box and DM. However, I think that Moses was played out of position, although I wouldn't call it fundamental as he has played there in the distant past!

For Team TOS, I felt that Tomkins is stronger than the voters suggested, but I do feel that your full backs were weaker. This would be easily exploited by good tactics.

I'lll be honest, I cannot split the teams either, so my verdict comes down to how I think you worked together. Team Viva/Nando worked surprisingly very, very well together and I was very impressed. Team TOS was a bit restricted by one of their team not being able to show his face as much as would have been handy. I appreciate that it is work related and that is fair enough, but at some point that has to be considered alongside those who are on all the time.

Therefore, my winning team is Nando and Viva

Well done Ok!
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:36 pm

I've noticed you've decided winning teams a few times by how they worked together. Personally, I don't think it's relevant how well they worked together and is about the quality of submission Whistle

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:39 pm

onlytreblewinners wrote:I've noticed you've decided winning teams a few times by how they worked together. Personally, I don't think it's relevant how well they worked together and is about the quality of submission Whistle

Ditto.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:39 pm

The Apprentice Task 5 - The Match 3559488474

I think someone knows their dooooooooomed Whistle

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:39 pm

TBH the quality of the submissions is normally pretty equal.

It's not very easy picking the winner. If there was an Olly mistake every week, it would be easy, but so far there's only been one.
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:41 pm

Well done other team

It was pretty darn equal so I've no complaints with a win going either way

I think you should rehire Bull, and fire him again A5ro.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:42 pm

Well done Team Nando/Viva

Unlucky team TOS
FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

http://www.manutd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:44 pm

Well done Viva/Nando OK

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:45 pm

You 5ive are good at this. If you could be Poopie, it would make my life easier.

Anyway, Sod, Twist and OTW, it's boardroom...

Please answer:

1) Who was your PM and were they any good?

2) Why do you think you lost?

3) Who should get fired and why?
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:48 pm

1. Sodhat was in charge. He did a decent job but clearly not good enough as we lost.

2. Well, it certainly wasn't because of the tactics, which was my role, as this was good enough and you've said yourself were of a high standard. I questioned Bardsley and Traore at the time, I also said we shouldn't include Fabio and that it was sodhat making the executive decision on him.

3. Hard decision either way but Sodhat was the PM.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:51 pm

Me.

The other teams submission was equally good and ultimately it seemingly came down to minor aspects. I thought the team worked well enough, of course Trebs wasn't around so much, but it would be unfair to say he didn't contribute at all. The selection of Fabio seemed controversial too, and that was between myself and Twist and ultimately I ran with it.

Based purely on looking forward and having the time to participate, it does have to be Trebs. It's a shame because he always produces good work when he is around, but it's whether he will be.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:59 pm

Just another note, you say the final task will be an individual task. I believe I will show myself to be very good under those circumstances as I will be able to put the time in for myself and not in a team mechanic which is completely different.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:00 pm

Sodhat was in charge. He did a good job. The submission was on time and we were unlucky not to win.

I don't think we lost as such - not on the submission. We failed the task simply because it was deemed the other team worked better.

If we lost the task because of the above reason, then I know that myself and Sodhat worked closely on it. The fall guy must be Trebs simply because he wasn't there enough and ultimately our lack of "togetherness" was the reason we didn't win the task

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:04 pm

I think it is difficult to assign blame to any of you as it was a strong showing by all. You are right that the quality of output was top notch, but so was the other teams. I had to select something to pick a winner. I am temptedIf someone could pull an Olly each week that would be great.

This is not a reflection of your ability as I have seen you as a realistic winner throughout. It is more the time you are able to participate. The final task will be a team task, with former competitors returning. You have other things taking up your valuable time at the moment, so it is with regret that I say...

Mouse - You're Fired.
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:09 pm

Stop saying pulling an Olly for gods sake lol
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:16 pm

Shame to have gone, I look forward to the rematch. I thought I made a good contribution in every task,

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down